Author Topic: sega rally revo is a revo tat is sega rally, also the demo rocks  (Read 511 times)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
sega rally revo is a revo tat is sega rally, also the demo rocks
« on: September 22, 2007, 02:50:02 PM »
i like it! sega rally revo, that is. my daughter does not like the blue car -- the wrx -- and that makes me sad. she likes the stupid red lancer.

the graphics, while they aren't up to dirt's crazy standard, look good. still, this could easily pass as rallisport challenge 2, visually. there's a little tearing -- like once or twice a track -- and the LOD management on some of the terrain objects has obvious draw-in, but otherwise it looks really clean. i think the canyon track looks a bit more detailed than dirt's, but the tropical track looks more xbox 1 level, geometry-wise.

the game FEELS very sega rally, right down to the "mash accelerator, predictable upshift mid drift" arcade-y shallowness that typefies sega racers. (this is not a bad thing. i hate sims.) i had to unlearn the accelerator fidgeting i used with dirt, which did not reward stomping the gas in anything but a clear straightaway or when breaking loose from a deep curve, and i lost bad. a couple races on the tropical track (which is loads easier than the canyon track, despite what the interface claims) later, i pulled a first, so YAY ME. the music is bright and infectuous sans any stupid wacky jappy lyrics, and the polyharmonic GAME OVER vocals are there for the sega taco brigade to jerk to.

the terrain deformation actually plays a bit of a big role, and the controller rumble works great with it. guess which version i'll be getting! staying out of deep grooves is important, and you hafta get pretty tactical about negotating the track when the grooves get really dug in. the mud and physics are just light enough to keep things interesting without turning into some nasty sim affair.

my gaming wang gives this demo 85% turgidity.
duc