Author Topic: Real news: Toddler buys car on eBay  (Read 749 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Real news: Toddler buys car on eBay
« on: October 06, 2006, 04:03:15 PM »
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/09/26/1159036545339.html
A three-year-old whiz-kid pressing "all the right buttons" used his mother's computer to buy a secondhand Japanese car on the internet auction site eBay, a newspaper reported.

The parents of the boy, Jack Neal, from Sleaford, Lincolnshire, eastern England, were dumbstruck when the website sent them a message of congratulations for buying the Barbie pink Nissan Figaro, a collector's item.

"We couldn't understand what was happening. Neither of us had bought anything," Jack's mother Rachel, 36, told the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"So we checked and saw it was a Barbie pink car which we'd bought for £8999 [$22,750]. We flew into a panic."

The following morning, Jack told his parents: "I've bought a car."

Rachel Neal said she thought she had left her eBay password in her computer. "Jack's a whiz on the PC and just pressed all the right buttons," she added.

Her husband John, 37, explained it had all been a mistake when he called the seller of the soft-top, second-hand car.

"Luckily he saw the funny side and said he would re-advertise," Mrs Neal added.

Paul Jones, co-director of Worcester Road Motors who is selling the car, said yesterday he had been "amused" by the bid.

"I had a phone call explaining what had happened and as soon as I heard it was a young boy who had done it by mistake I cancelled the bid and re-advertised the car which is very collectable," he said.

"He must have good taste in cars. We've all got children and they do silly things at times so it was no problem," he added.

It is the first time the car dealership has sold a car on the website, he said.

The car, which had been imported from Japan and refurbished, is available on eBay at a starting price of £7999 or a buy-it-now price of  £8999.

smart-ass