Author Topic: 25 years of MTV.  (Read 4111 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
25 years of MTV.
« on: August 01, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »
Fuck them.  Worthless now.

What they have done.

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
Re: 25 years of MTV.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 11:22:31 PM »
Actually that article comes correct. MTV has done more to fuck up our generations these days than crack or baseball :(
BKO

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 11:23:41 PM »
Actually that article comes correct. MTV has done more to fuck up our generations these days than crack or baseball :(

All those years of my parents blaming MTV for corrupting the youth of America...  But you know, I realize now that it's true.
sig

heavy liquid

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 11:39:40 PM »
That article is tongue in cheek, but most of it is dead on.  Reality TV really sucks, and it's MTV that started it. 

I can't even remember the last time MTV showed videos regularly.  It was at least 10 years ago.  MTV2 was the channel that actually had music for a while, but they too stopped showing videos after a couple years.  Fuck MTV.

Wobedraggled

• Almost Died Once
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 11:40:56 PM »
Mtv died the day they killed the ball.

Wii

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 11:48:37 PM »
balls?

Wobedraggled

• Almost Died Once
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 11:49:28 PM »
Wii

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist

heavy liquid

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 12:02:28 AM »
Headbanger's Ball had some okay stuff, but I was never too big into metal.

I was more of a 120 Minutes person myself, although they had a lot of bands that crossed back and forth.  They moved 120 Minutes to MTV2 before fading out in 2001 or 2002.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 01:01:20 AM »
It needed to be MUSIC TV.

now it isn't.

THE NAME LIES
HLR

Shogmaster

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 06:45:56 AM »
MTV has as much to do with music now as G4 has to do with videogames. They could both go away tomorrow and no one would probably care.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 07:11:44 AM »
MTV has as much to do with music now as G4 has to do with videogames. They could both go away tomorrow and no one would probably care.
There are probably people that have their lives based around MTV.

heavy liquid

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »
There are probably people that have their lives based around MTV.

That's a sad thought.  But neither myself or anyone I know watches MTV at all, or at least with any regularity.  I wonder what kind of ratings it gets?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 08:35:18 AM »
That's a sad thought.  But neither myself or anyone I know watches MTV at all, or at least with any regularity.  I wonder what kind of ratings it gets?
I don't watch it but everybody I know says that it's so fun to watch the realistic scenarios of the dating and reality shows.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 11:38:35 AM »

All those years of my parents blaming MTV for corrupting the youth of America...  But you know, I realize now that it's true.

I agree. MTV has done many things that are far from positive; unless you're ultra far left liberal, I don't see how you can agree with their glamorization of rampant sex. Then there's the fact that they nurture artists who don't have any talent, Like Madonna and Jessica Simpson, and turn them into icons. WTF is that? There was a time when if you didn't know how to sing, you couldn't get a deal. Thanks to MTV and pro tools, that isn't the case anymore.

Now all they do is show the same videos over and over, at least when they DO show videos. The neverending newest emo band, the ditsy blonde blindly struming her guitar, the degenerate southern "rap" anthem, the semi cool band (IE Coldplay) who supposedly gives them credibility, and of course the gangsta rapper to give all the white kids street cred. What the hell?

The Black Stallion

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 11:46:46 AM »
If you guys actually stepped your cable/satalite game up in a major way you'd know that MTV/VH1 run a host of 24/7 video networks, my favorite of which being MTV Jams. 24/7 commerial free rap. My only qualm is the saggering ammount of censoring that goes on the station.

Smegma Sandwich

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »
 My wife loves the Real World/Road Rules competition shows that they continue (and continue) to put out. They have to run out of ideas some time...

I'm not too big a fan of reality TV. I like competitive shows though. That world series of pop culture trivia or whatever on VH1 was pretty good.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 01:04:49 PM »
I always watch the first episode of Real World just to see the cast, but this year I didn't. The cast is so terrible; I've watched it a couple times, but I just can't stand these people. There's this annoying anerexic boozer, this gay dude who's the ULTAMITE bitch, and this hot chick who's another ULTAMITE bitch. WTF? My god..

These people are supposed to be adults, and they act like 11 year olds. I hope my room mates don't act like this.

FnordChan

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 01:56:34 PM »

Video killed the radio star.  Unfortunatly, reality television killed the video star.

FnordChan

The Black Stallion

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 02:22:02 PM »
I always watch the first episode of Real World just to see the cast, but this year I didn't. The cast is so terrible; I've watched it a couple times, but I just can't stand these people. There's this annoying anerexic boozer, this gay dude who's the ULTAMITE bitch, and this hot chick who's another ULTAMITE bitch. WTF? My god..

These people are supposed to be adults, and they act like 11 year olds. I hope my room mates don't act like this.
I have no clue what the hell Road Rules or Real World is about, I've never seen an episode in my life.. I would make a perfect cast member.  >:(

(Image removed from quote.)

Video killed the radio star. Unfortunatly, reality television killed the video star.

FnordChan

That video is so symbolic it's unbelivable. Hell, the album was even called The Age of Plastic. So very telling.

Lo-Volt

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 03:17:37 PM »
I happen to think MTV is actually very indicative of its generation; it certainly shares many of the flaws of our young adults, especially since it seems to have such a low attention span. It's too bad, I enjoyed MTV when I was younger and when there was a good enough variety of music videos to peruse in the first place. Now it's that much more staged and pruned for our eyes, with videos cut off to keep a tight program schedule and bratty kids blocking the streets of Manhattan for a glimpse of whoever's hosting or appearing on TRL. Even MTV2 seems to suffer the kind of corrupted purpose that its mother channel is now dealing with, and that was really a great music channel, at least for a while.

Rest in peace, MTV.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 03:20:56 PM by Lo-Volt »

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 07:10:01 PM »
It was around the time Cobain died that MTV really started to suck.

Edit: not that they have anything to do with each other.
HLR

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 07:45:32 PM »
It was around the time Cobain died that MTV really started to suck.

Edit: not that they have anything to do with each other.
lol