Author Topic: contra 4 = :-\  (Read 5101 times)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
contra 4 = :-\
« on: November 18, 2007, 02:25:26 PM »
first level started out good, but the second level does NOT feel like contra -- in fact, it feels like one of those chintzy licensed wayforward games like "the scorpion king" ... WAIT A MINUTE
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 02:29:15 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Re: contra 4 = :-\
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 02:25:56 PM »
I haven't got that far, im all old and have bad reflexes.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 02:28:19 PM »
Oh come on maf. How can a vet of Mega Man Zero games have that sort of attitude. Who am I going to look up to now?
IYKYK

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 02:28:58 PM »
Game is FUCK HARD LIKE WARCOCK DIK
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 02:30:25 PM »
Himuro: Whats more shocking is that conversations held with me contain no subtitles :(
o_0

Himu

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 02:30:55 PM »
really?!
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 02:31:40 PM »
DS am not the platform for this
fat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »
Himuro: I also carry around a 3 foot long vent that I speak through at people.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 02:34:28 PM »
How can they understand you without subtitles??
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 02:34:32 PM »
yeah, ds really am not, and i was hopin' for some crazy sprite scaling/rotation or parallax madness ala the snes contra, but so far it seems REALLY vanilla
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 02:36:20 PM »
The top screen is barely used at all, insomuch as when a power up does float around up there while youre on the bottom screen it actually annoys me.
o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 02:36:49 PM »
Contra 3 Alien Wars EX :rock
fat

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 02:37:14 PM »
:rock demi :rock
duc

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 02:54:32 PM »
Never was a big fan of Contra, to be honest.  I have Contra 3, but I don't know, I guess I'm not into it like you guys are.
püp

drohne

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 06:24:51 PM »
bummer. i bought it yesterday, but i'm still playing galaxy

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 09:55:47 PM »
first level started out good, but the second level does NOT feel like contra -- in fact, it feels like one of those chintzy licensed wayforward games like "the scorpion king" ... WAIT A MINUTE

The first part of the second level (the lab) is lame but the Waterfall climb is pretty vintage Contra, with a great (and challenging) boss fight at the end. Too bad I haven't made it any further than that, yet :P
^_^

Enl

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2007, 10:33:24 PM »
yeah, ds really am not, and i was hopin' for some crazy sprite scaling/rotation or parallax madness ala the snes contra, but so far it seems REALLY vanilla

You do get some of that later on. Currently, I can get to the end of stage 4 on Normal and in that stage it does get into some crazy Contra 3-esc stuff. The beginning part of stage 2 is pretty dull but short. It does pick up in the second half of the stage especially with the boss. Not a big fan of the Contra inspired tunnel in stage 3, thankfully it was short. I've played the game enough times now to where I can get through the first 3 stages without dying (I'm just now starting to get the feel for the patterns in stage 4). So while it seems tough, it's pretty fair about it.
mmm

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 11:22:31 PM »
Hey, take it easy on WayForward. They were given like 430 dollars to make this game, so the graphics are what they are. I think they're quite nice.
haw

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 11:31:55 PM »
bah, Im still pumped

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 07:10:09 AM »
Can't believe how awful the DS Lite's d-pad is, it makes Contra completely unplayable.

Synbios459

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 07:20:30 AM »
Can't believe how awful the DS Lite's d-pad is, it makes Contra completely unplayable.
:stfu

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 07:34:05 AM »

You must have an earlier DS Lite.  The newer ones have the fixed, tight d-pad.
püp

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 08:43:09 AM »
not buying another Nintendo system just for Contra 4 and Metal Slug 7

the whole dual screen scenery thing in Contra 4 is just fucking stupid and awkward anyway, as it is in any game that uses the two screens to display the action
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 08:45:55 AM by Mondain »

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 01:23:08 PM »

the whole dual screen scenery thing in Contra 4 is just fucking stupid and awkward anyway, as it is in any game that uses the two screens to display the action

Agreed.

Synbios459

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 01:34:56 PM »

So do you just hate the dual screen period?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 03:27:22 PM »

You must have an earlier DS Lite.  The newer ones have the fixed, tight d-pad.

I bought one just recently and it still sucks.
fat

jiji

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 09:56:51 PM »
Contra 4 :bow :bow

WayForward  :-* :-*

I was as much a naysayer as anybody when this was announced, but they've really done it.  So far I've managed to one-credit it into stage 2 on normal.  It feels like it was made for people who played the games way back when and kept playing them.  The mix of elements from all over the series works well, and (so far) it's full of 'gotcha' moments for when you're expecting things to happen they way they did in an earlier game.  I'm not sure how much I like monitoring things on both screens, but it increases the challenge and makes me predict things more, which is fine with me.  It's hard, it's fun, the music rocks, it looks pretty, and they didn't pussy out by giving out unlimited continues or saves between stages. 

As for the DS lite's D-pad... I think I have one of the 'better' ones, as I don't have the problems with the center post that I've heard a lot of people report.  But it's still a little puny for my bratwurst of a thumb, and diagonals don't feel that nice.  The chiclet face buttons are wreaking a bit of havoc, too. But I'm managing.
OTL

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 11:00:21 PM »
Where would you say this fits in with Contra, Super C, Contra III, and Hard Corps?  My favorite is still the original game, for the record.
ど助平

Enl

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 02:52:04 AM »
Where would you say this fits in with Contra, Super C, Contra III, and Hard Corps?  My favorite is still the original game, for the record.

Well the game is essentially a remake of the first Contra with Contra 3 style bosses and Shattered Soldiers-esc set pieces. After much playtime, the dual screens have become less of a problem and the game is pretty thought out in design (tough but everything is avoidable). I never had any of the d-pad problems some of the others are talking about (I have a launch DS Lite if that's any different). Since you are a big fan of Contra this game will probably suit you since it's obviously made by people who loved the original.

mmm

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 02:54:46 AM »
I kind of agree with how shit the diagonal aiming is

they should have done what you do in metroid fusion, press the L button and it aims diagonal for you,would have been handy
萌え~

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
my copy finally shipped, should hopefully have it soon, Im hoping the DS Phat D-pad does okay in terms of diagonals and stuff. I kind of need this game to be good... after playing the amazing Mother 3 the rest of the handheld shit Ive been playing has been filler. Luminous Arc is OK, pretty funny I guess but gets a but boring, Im up to about chapter 14 or so. Yoshi Island is OK also, better than NSMB at least but still a bit... I dunno. Only a couple of stages to go in that anyway

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »
Mother 3 changing lives. :bow Itoi :bow

luminous arc  :-X

scenester :rock
萌え~

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 05:05:09 PM »
yep. Well Luminous Arc isnt bad, just kinda too cookie cutter sometimes. The charcters are pretty funny, like Nikolai (pederass lol) and the talking Manatee. I'll definitely finish it tho

bluemax

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 05:41:05 PM »
One of my roommates QA'd on this game. He didn't like it because its "unoriginal, and derivative, not very creative".

I told him he wasn't hardcore enough to understand!

He also said he was afraid of putting that he worked on  it on his resume cause he didn't think it was quality. I was like, dude companies don't care about quality! No one is going to metacritic the games on your resume.
NO

drohne

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2007, 12:37:03 AM »
first level seems pretty awesome, but i can't even play this game until i buy one of those grippy accessories for my ds lite -- mashing the fire button is torture. i had the same problem with the megaman games on my psp. five minutes of play and my hands feel as if i've been masturbating livestock all day

drohne

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2007, 09:03:36 AM »
finally got my grippy thing and sat down with this. and it's actually kind of great. well, except level 3, which is one of those forward-scrolling 'base' things from the first game. it works in the style of the first two games, with certain touches of the later style. but the devil is in the details, and wayforward gets it -- you see their understanding of the genre in the little moments. like those four armored soldiers firing aimed bullets at you before the second boss. i'll out and say it: i never would've expected a non-japanese developer to pull this off. been playing on one credit so far, and have gotten to level 4, but i may start credit feeding to learn the thing

i actually don't mind the two screen stuff -- it'd probably annoy me in a lesser game, but here i've adapted to it

stick with it prole

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2007, 12:01:35 PM »
yeah, it got better. but man, the first half of level 2 is straight up bad -- the silly crawling critters and the multi-hit zombies feel more like shantae than contra. i didn't mind the third level's faux threedee base attack, and yeah, level 4 is great. i over-reacted! i still wish there was more crazy sprite effects, though.
duc

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2007, 04:59:42 PM »
hows the music

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2007, 10:46:05 PM »
hows the music

Pretty good, IMO.  It fits in with Contra, and what's cool is that playing on hard gets you a different soundtrack-- level 1 is a new version of the original Contra theme!
ど助平

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 11:43:39 PM »
hows the music

Pretty good, IMO.  It fits in with Contra, and what's cool is that playing on hard gets you a different soundtrack-- level 1 is a new version of the original Contra theme!

:o thats awesome

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2007, 06:48:43 PM »
just got my copy (finally  :maf)

got a boner reading the manual. Ive got my big sennheiser headphones with me so Im a crank to volume up to full and play hard :rock

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2007, 08:48:53 PM »
game is good, playing on easy as my ass was getting handed to me on Normal and I need to get into the Contra groove. Managed to make it up to stage 4 then the batteries went flat. No problems with diagonals on the DS phat d-pad, R button for stationary firing is useful too. Im overall really satisfied with this game. Apparently theres lots of unlockables?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:55:27 PM by Scenester »

bachikarn

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2007, 01:08:58 AM »
Holy shit this game is hard. I beat it on easy (it's kind of funny that it just stops and tells you that you aren't man enough to play the last two levels), but can't even get to the boss of the second level on normal.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2007, 03:21:13 AM »
You can unlock more playable characters, NES Contra and Super C, and artwork from beating the game and then going through the challenge mode.  I hope I get there one day!
ど助平

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2007, 06:13:53 AM »
some asswipe at gamefaqs reckons he can beat it on hard. "I guess the next goal will be to beat it on hard without losing a life" hes probably lying. Apparently theres a female Contra contingent over there as well  :o

Beezy

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2007, 10:54:53 AM »
I finally beat the first stage on normal without dying, but the beginning of 2nd stage is pissing me the fuck off! :maf

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2007, 03:49:37 PM »
yeah I hate those stupid crawling mother fuckers

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2007, 09:36:16 PM »
okay I beat the game on easy (which was pretty easy) so unlocked the challenge mode so I sohuld be able to unlock the NES Contra shortly, yay. Finishing the game on Normal is going to be a whole different kettle of fish though. This shit is tough