Author Topic: EvilBore's "shop-a-holics anonymous" charter  (Read 1794 times)

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
EvilBore's "shop-a-holics anonymous" charter
« on: December 03, 2007, 12:30:55 PM »
After rolling around the web for some time - this type of 'addicted to buying media/software' discussion clearly belongs here the most. I find that on other forums, the users are less into buying/collecting/playing, and more into just spamming, discussing sales theories, quoting nobody blogs and teen-tard review sites.

I would say that over 80% of EB has a rabid retail (games, movies, music) addiction where as on other forums its more like 2-5% of the users come close to as much spend.

We really need a way to track the financial carnage that results from a week of EB'ers collective spend at the media-marts.

1.) Identify the users who believe that they have a shopping/buying problem.
2.) Identify the problems associated with impulse/addictive buying
3.) If the negatives outweigh the positives, figure out a way to get the user weened off of the damned buying addiction.

I will kick things off.

My name is John - and I am addicted to media/game shopping.

My  biggest offense is in the form of games and music.

Exhibit A: Games

My XBOX collection;
http://gallery.mac.com/abrader#100008&bgcolor=black

My Playstation collection;
http://gallery.mac.com/abrader#100015&bgcolor=black

There have been hundreds of more titles - I just do not keep anything that wont play in a current machine (hence the legacy XBOX titles being so few in number and you dont see any SNES/Genesis carts there). There are like 10-20 other XBOX games id own if they worked on X360.

Exhibit B: Music

My music collection all imported into itunes comes out to be only 35 GB. I know people have massively larger libraries, but a.) everything I own is licensed or from a CD/record b.) I am a bit over my music hill so my modern music buying has all but been slowed down to a halt. I feel like this aspect of my addictive shopping tendencies has slowed down enough so that it doesn't need corrective attention. This really hurt me the most in college when I didn't have allot of $$ but still had to buy $100-$200 in music a week. Looking back on my library I have no regrets and still love everything. I hope I can feel the same way about the games 10 years from now.

Exhibit C: HD movies

I just got started on the movies this weekend. I have had a BD player for a while, but due to a few poor early releases (the original Blu Ray Full MEtal Jacket for example) I wasn't convinced it was worth buying into...Then I see and am wowed by the 2001 BD and suddenly im out at best buy loading up on 10-15 movies in one pop. The future releases look good too and I feel like getting good archive copies of childhood favorites. HD movies have officially wowed the pants off of me and now I just want to watch some things so I can glare in awe at the lovely looks.

So buying os good right? What can the problem be?

The problem starts when this media shopping uses up such a small amount of your income - it feels easy to go buy gaggles of disks because there is plenty of money to go around....

But what about when you start buying owning WAY more stuff than you can vide? You can clearly see about 10-20 unopened games in my backlog - and no doubt I bought many of those games for full price the date they were released.

Why not just wait till $60 games drop to $40-$20 range? Because I do not like crusty used stuff and I buy some very unpopular titles and fear missing the release (see ATLUS RPG's)

We ask the questions;

Does your buying addiction adversely effect your financial health? Does your urge to shop take priority over paying bills, etc..?

Is it worth owning everything you buy? You usually want something in your personal collection for the memories - are the memories worth the spend? Are you a nostalgic type?

Do you feel that your addiction to shopping is a problem? What do your loved ones and family members think?

If anything - what have you LOST to your buying addiction? Your car, wife, house?

One thing I started doing at home is photographing and journaling why I buy the things I buy. If I can read my own justification on my own purchases, and not feel distinguished mentally-challenged about the reasons I let it slide. If I look back at my shopping journal, and feel bad I force myself to take a week long timeout from shopping. I am not sure if this is helping the overall problem, but at least i document and review my thoughts later as most of the buying is done on the impulse where really no-logic is present.

An example of such an entry can be found in my journal when I bought Terminator 1 and 2 on BD disk Saturday....I explain that I have seen the movies 10-15 times each as a kid, love the music and they always invoke a nostalgic feeling inside of me. This makes the $60 purchase of both films feel warranted.

On that same day I bought the LEGO StarWars collection for PS3.....I dont really like starwars (except for the battlefront games) and was really just looking for some "toy story" GFX :) Was this purchase worth it? Not as much. These games hold no memories for me and I might as well have bought the title when it hits $20 as opposed to $50.

On that note I have placed myself on a buying restriction until next week when UT3 comes out for PS3.

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: EvilBore's "shop-a-holics anonymous" charter
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:37:35 PM »
I have an addiction. 

Good: I have lots of stuff to keep me entertained.  Girls I'm interested in like all the movies and games.  It's better than spending it on food.

Bad: None.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:39:35 PM »
True - some people blow fortunes on shyt like $500-$1,000 dinners etc....

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 12:52:11 PM »
Yeah, but I think those kind of people are on a totally different level and tend to be able to afford that shit.

To be honest, I technically can afford what I purchase, but it doesn't mean it's ever a good financial decision.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »
I can afford what I purchase - I just keep feeling like I could be doing better things with the $$ like saving it.

Id say my media spend is about 2-4% of my income at best.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 12:54:28 PM »
So we agree on one thing.....

SHOP-A-HOLICS AGREE THAT MONEY SPENT ON MEDIA IS SMARTER THAN MONEY SPENT ON PERISHABLES SUCH AS FOOD.

Rman

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 12:55:05 PM »
I don't really buy too much media.  I'm more into renting movies or going to theater to watch them. 

Movie Theater>>>Home Theater

However, cell phones are ruining movie theaters.  There is always an asshole who pick up his phone while the movie is running.

With games I try not to keep more than 3 games in my backlog.  I won't buy my next batch of games until I finish my current purchases.  I like music but I only buy music around 4 times a year.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 12:56:50 PM »
So we agree on one thing.....

SHOP-A-HOLICS AGREE THAT MONEY SPENT ON MEDIA IS SMARTER THAN MONEY SPENT ON PERISHABLES SUCH AS FOOD.

I actually whole heartedly agree.  I tend to shop better for myself when I'm on a budget instead of going "OH SHIT HOT POCKETS!" I pick up a bushel of apples.

And my media spending is way more than 2-4%.  I'd say it's closer to like 15-20% (a year) but then I guess it all depends on how much you make... :(

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 12:57:26 PM »
You assholes make a lotta money. ~$400/month here :(

FUCKING BUDGET CUTS
UK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 12:57:48 PM »
I don't really buy too much media.  I'm more into renting movies or going to theater to watch them. 

However, cell phones are ruining movie theaters.  There is always an asshole who pick up his phone while the movie is running.

With games I try not to keep more than 3 games in my backlog.  I won't buy my next batch of games until I finish my current purchases.  I like music but I only buy music around 4 times a year.
eh, I prefer waiting for dvd's/hd dvd's.  I like being able to watch them at home with a friend on my own couch and just relax.  a big tv and surround sound fixes the nostalgia for a theater.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 12:59:18 PM »
You assholes make a lotta money. ~$400/month here :(

FUCKING BUDGET CUTS

When you step back and take a look at your urge to shop till you drop - is it the main reason you would like to make more $$?

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 01:00:07 PM »

eh, I prefer waiting for dvd's/hd dvd's.  I like being able to watch them at home with a friend on my own couch and just relax.  a big tv and surround sound fixes the nostalgia for a theater.

I second this - better to vide the film at home where I can smoke/drink and sit around in a g-string if I want to.

T234

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 01:06:16 PM »
Yeah, pretty much. I spent a years pay working in my father's tobacco field to buy a dreamcast, Soul Calibur, Armada, and a VMU. Looking back, I would do it again(at the age of 13).
UK

Rman

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 01:07:13 PM »
I love the excitement and community of going to the theater..  Watching Spiderman 1 on opening night was something I could never duplicate at home.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 01:08:38 PM »
Yeah, pretty much. I spent a years pay working in my father's tobacco field to buy a dreamcast, Soul Calibur, Armada, and a VMU. Looking back, I would do it again(at the age of 13).

Noble pursuits for sure.

I would gladly support your professional advancement knowing that you will be spending money on good things and not nasty ass hoes who dont even love you ;)

T234

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 01:13:30 PM »
Rman: You should do what I do when somebody acts up in a theater: Beat the shit out of them in the dark.
UK

Rman

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 01:13:40 PM »
Aren't you still at school, T234?
Don't worry. You will be making more in the future.

T234

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 01:14:42 PM »
I'm even in the school of dirty poors (LOL) COMMUNITY COLLEGE.
UK

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 01:31:15 PM »
I

A.) Dont have a problem.

B.) Even if I did have a problem I could quit whenever I wanted to.
o_0

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 03:18:17 PM »
B.) Even if I did have a problem I could quit whenever I wanted to.
:lol :lol :lol

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 05:23:06 PM »
I think your problem isn't that you spend too much money but that you buy too many crap PS3 games.   

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »
I think your problem isn't that you spend too much money but that you buy too many crap PS3 games.   

HUAHUAHAUAHUAHUAHUAH

SEEMS SO UAHUAHUAHUAH

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 02:30:11 PM »
all I bought today was a $5 Unreal Championship III Pre-order for PS3.

I heard its going to be in very limited quantities before XMAS - and well I cant wait till january....

So my desire to have the game before Xmas justifies this $5 spent on a preorder.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007, 12:27:58 PM »
Today I bought....

1.) Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Ultimate edition for $32.99 from amazon.com

I love this movie and wanted it bad - ITs 49.99 in stores because of so much content (like the upcoming Blade Runner release) so I feel justifies in buying it for $32.99 from Amazon.

2.) Dragons Lair (Blu Ray) $29.99

I love Dragons Lair - never really ever had an arcade perfect port on any system, and the JAVA BluRay stuff makes this as close as you will get to arcade perfect as the Java app randomizes the stages like the olde arcade machines and any other DVD incarnation has had nothing like the arcade experience....Now there is the question of wether or not it keeps score like the arcade machine....

Gay Boy

• McAmnesty
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2007, 12:30:15 PM »
Today I bought....

1.) Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Ultimate edition for $32.99 from amazon.com

I love this movie and wanted it bad - ITs 49.99 in stores because of so much content (like the upcoming Blade Runner release) so I feel justifies in buying it for $32.99 from Amazon.

:bow one of the greatest movies of all time
hib