Author Topic: " Amazon Ordered to End Free Delivery on Books in France (rest of world soon?)  (Read 6412 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
They are only looking out for the poor, poor B&M owners. Never mind if their business model is outdated.

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
That's bullcrap!  No wonder there's lots of riots in France. :punch
:)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
They are only looking out for the poor, poor B&M owners. Never mind if their business model is outdated.

B&Ms can't compete with Amazon.  Amazon is big enough to barter delivery deals with delivery services, whereas the same services would LAUGH at B&M stores if they tried to do the same.

The B&M business model is not outdated; it's just that Amazon uses unfair advantages that B*M stores could never hope to have. 

I like free shipping, but it cannot be denied that Amazon is using its size and influence to do things that small shops can't.  That is borderline monopoly behavior.  Fuck libertarians.
serge

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
I dont want free shipping!!! Please tell them its illegal!! It hurts mom and pop book stores.

:lol

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
The B&M business model is not outdated; it's just that Amazon uses unfair advantages that B*M stores could never hope to have. 

What advantage is that?

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
B&Ms can't compete with Amazon.  Amazon is big enough to barter delivery deals with delivery services, whereas the same services would LAUGH at B&M stores if they tried to do the same.

I like free shipping, but it cannot be denied that Amazon is using its size and influence to do things that small shops can't.  That is borderline monopoly behavior.  Fuck libertarians.

:)

TVC15

What advantage is that?

They're a hugeass company that does far more business than a brick and mortar can ever hope to do.  This is true whether they can offer free shipping or not.  Free shipping, as it is, is something of a nail in the coffin.

I am not saying they should be punished for being successful, before you imply that.
serge

Robo

I wouldn't have any reason to shop at Amazon if all the other B&M bookstores didn't sell everything at motherfucking LIST PRICE.  How about we focus on competing at that angle before we start bitching about unfair shipping advantages?
obo

TVC15

I wouldn't have any reason to shop at Amazon if all the other B&M bookstores didn't sell everything at motherfucking LIST PRICE.  How about we focus on competing at that angle before we start bitching about unfair shipping advantages?

I agree as well, but that would be a much more difficult battle to win.  Considering that B&M stores cannot really legally work together in an efficient manner (another advantage of the large corporation), I think this is as good as we can hope at the moment.
serge

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead

What advantage is that?

They're a hugeass company that does far more business than a brick and mortar can ever hope to do.  This is true whether they can offer free shipping or not.  Free shipping, as it is, is something of a nail in the coffin.

I am not saying they should be punished for being successful, before you imply that.

You are saying that since you think they shouldnt be allowed to offer incentives to buy from them.

TVC15

Amazon has plenty of advantages, aside from Free Shipping.  You think that's the only reason people buy things there?
serge

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Amazon has plenty of advantages, aside from Free Shipping.  You think that's the only reason people buy things there?

What does that have to do with anything?

TVC15

Look, FoC, I'm not going to bother arguing.  This isn't something we will see eye to eye on.  From my point of view, arguing this is as wasteful to my words as pouring glasses of water down the gutter during a rainstorm.  Just understand, at the very least, that your point of view is not the only one that can be argued, and that your also that it isn't one likely to be shared by countries that are not as addicted to corporations as the United States.
serge

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
ok, but I still think that if amazon wants to offer free shipping, france's government can fuck themselves.

TVC15

Fine, you side with corporations, we get it, you're a libertarian.  Let's move on.
serge

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
damn I just got my books from amazon, free shipping rox

they use usps priority too

lucky me I dont live in france
萌え~

TVC15

There's nothing like going into a bookshop with personality. I appreciate that Amazon has everything I can possibly want as far as products go, but there's nothing like going into, say, The Elliot Bay Book Company and being pounded by the booky atmosphere.
serge

TVC15

Soul counts for a lot, in all things.  Similar to how I would rather pay 60 bucks for a decent 360 game than 50 for a decent Wii game.  FoC is, of course, the opposite in every way that can be imagined.
serge

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Soul counts for a lot, in all things.  Similar to how I would rather pay 60 bucks for a decent 360 game than 50 for a decent Wii game.  FoC is, of course, the opposite in every way that can be imagined.

Soul does count alot. We have a local bookstore called Book People that is bad ass. I dont mind paying the extra price to shop there. Some people do.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
So would you be in favor of enacting laws to keep businesses like that open?

Why would I? If they cant offor the "soul" to compete  in then they shouldn't stay open.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
That is where we fundamentally differ.

They wont offer the "soul" unless they have to, to survive. If you get rid of their competition they will have no reason to compete.

TVC15

"Soul" in here is not something offered; it's something you either have or you don't.  Large corporations generally (almost always?) lack it.

FA:  you say some agreeable things, but I don't particularly see why the conclusion should be to agree with free shipping.  Amazon has many advantages in addition to free shipping that cannot (and should not) be taken away. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 06:33:39 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

TVC15

"Soul" in here is not something offered; it's something you either have or you don't.  Large corporations generally (almost always?) lack it.

FA:  you say some agreeable things, but I don't particularly see why the conclusion should be to agree with free shipping.  Amazon has many advantages in addition to free shipping that cannot (and should not) be taken away. 

The only free shipping I get from Amazon is through Amazon Prime.  I'm going to guess they offer a similar deal on slow shipping if someone is to purchase above a certain dollar amount. 

Free shipping is one of the major benefits B&M stores can't realistically provide.

Offering a setting and providing a place where one can pick up and buy a book is something Amazon cannot provide.

Those are the basic tradeoffs between e-commerce and regular commerce.  If consumers feel one is more important than the other, why should laws be created to contradict that?  It's unfortunate, but local sellers have to provide a unique enough experience to compete.  If they can't compel readers to go to their stores, then they're not doing a good enough job. 

Like I said to FoC, we are not going to see eye to eye on this, that's that. 

Let me distill my PoV.  It's really not about money at all, to me.

I love books.  The Elliot Bay Book Co loves books.  Genghis and FoC's respective bookstores love books.  Amazon loves business and money above books.  There is room for both of these kinds of businesses in the world--both are very very good--but I would not appreciate seeing our beloved Book Loving Bookstores die because Amazon is able to use its size, and the money it loves very very much, to make deals that are at best in a grey area.

There's room for both stores, above all.  heck, both kinds are absolutely necessary.   I woul dhate to see either kind killed either inadvertantly or on purpose.
serge

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead

Or most people are too stupid to appreciate nice things, but that is a whole different discussion.

Then you should try and educate the stupid people that dont appreciate it.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
I don't know any good book stores around. Hence, I buy shit from Amazon. It's better than Borders/Barnes and Noble.
AMC

TVC15

So basically, you are for independent bookstores dying, then?  I never said Amazon should be punished; I said they should not be able to use their size and corporate nature in order to get benefits that other, non-corporate stores cannot get.  That is playing fair, not punishment.
serge

TVC15

You're the one that thinks Amazon should be free to use unfair advantages.  How else does that read?
serge

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
You're the one that thinks Amazon should be free to use unfair advantages.  How else does that read?

What unfair advantage?

TVC15

Amazon:  Hi, we're Amazon.  Deliver shit for us.  We are huge.
UPS:  Okay.

Elliot Bay Book Co:  Hi, we are the Elliot Bay Book Company.  Deliver shit for us.  We, uh, have a nice store.
UPS: Go fuck yourself, hippie.
serge

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
How is that unfair? Amazon is going to be a much bigger customer of UPS.

TVC15

This is why we won't see eye to eye.  Just forget it.  It's a point I can't change your mind on.  I'm not trying to do so.
serge

TVC15

That's cool, sorry if I came off like a prick.  I used to work for a brick and mortar that I loved very much. . .until it was killed by the unfair practices of Borders.  Brick and mortar stores get raped on all sides, not just by Amazon.  It is impossible for them to not be "outdated."

Heck, Amazon is small potatoes next to the 2 big chains, even.
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
That's cool, sorry if I came off like a prick.  I used to work for a brick and mortar that I loved very much. . .until it was killed by the unfair practices of Borders.  Brick and mortar stores get raped on all sides, not just by Amazon.  It is impossible for them to not be "outdated."

Heck, Amazon is small potatoes next to the 2 big chains, even.

Borders fucking sucks. Ugh.
AMC

TVC15

Basically, if you want a good example of how the libertarian INVISIBLE HAND OF THE MARKET MAKES ALL RIGHT is complete bullshit, take a look at the retail book marketplace for a mostly clear microcosm.
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Wait, so you're not a libertarian anymore, TVC? I thought that thread a while back was a joke.
AMC

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
I wish there were more little book stores with dusty bookz
o_0

TVC15

Wait, so you're not a libertarian anymore, TVC? I thought that thread a while back was a joke.

No. . .I hold some libertarian-leaning beliefs, but I reject the label.  Too many dumbass shitheads that I do not want to be associated with.
serge

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead

No. . .I hold some libertarian-leaning beliefs, but I reject the label.  Too many dumbass shitheads that I do not want to be associated with.

Which beliefs do you hold?

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Oh, alright. I wouldn't want to be lumped in with them either.
AMC

TVC15

Which beliefs do you hold?

Oh, I don't want to think about it too much and write up a long muddled post.  I am mainly apolitical, as in I do not care about politics or expressing my own politics, so I really view it as a waste of time to think about.

The gross simplification of my beliefs would be that I am for individual liberty, but with regulations, possibly many regulations, on businesses and how they behave.

I would probably be classified as a post-left anarchist, or possibly a post-anarchist.
serge

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Thats cool. Do you agree with their core argument for limited government?

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
if you read Making Light you can read some fucked up shit about book publisher practices

basically, if publishers had their way, we would all be reading the top 50 best sellers and nothing else, plus booksellers would not get any money
乱学者

TVC15

Thats cool. Do you agree with their core argument for limited government?

For the most part, yes.  I am not for social programs (in the welfare, handout sense) and law enforcement and the overhead that both create, but I do think education and health care need to be a higher priorities than they currently are, and I believe that the offering of some "social" programs for the purpose of jobs and employment are necessary, like the military and other more altruistic social groups.

Again, degrees and exacts, I can't really give you.  Thinking about this is little more than a mind game.  None of it will ever come to pass in America.
serge

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.

Aren't you in Manhattan?  The Strand dude!

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon

No, I'm out on the Island. :-\
AMC

TVC15

What is the island?
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Long Island
AMC

TVC15

That's a shame.  One of my first short stories in college was titled All People from Long Island are Scumbags.
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Poor tiesto :(

Does being born in Queens help my cause at all?
AMC

TVC15

Poor tiesto :(

Was my title right or wrong?  Or mostly right or mostly wrong?  I wrote that when I was 18, and almost 9 years later, I still think I was at least mostly right.

EDIT:  My university had a large contingent of rich assholes from Long Island.
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
No, it's mostly right. I want to leave the minute I finish college. Well, I want to leave NOW, but I should really finish something...

Where'd you go?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 07:46:08 PM by CajoleJuice »
AMC

TVC15

University of Scranton.
serge

TVC15

Filthy sophist.

I think I have been largely freed from the temptations of sophistry.  I think I am a sound thinker, and I always reject accepting what seems "easy," at least until I have weighed all factors I can think of.  I am not easily influenced.
serge

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
does US have any sort of book cartel like france?  I'd imagine Amazon will just figure out a way to give out free shipping coupons.

Barry Egan

:yuck  get out of there d00d

TVC15

serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon

:yuck  get out of there d00d

Will you let me be your roommate?  :-[
AMC

Barry Egan

I don't have a place in new york city outside of my mom's apartment :-\  after university is done I'll probably be starting a free lance business outside of her house until I can afford an apartment in Brooklyn or something.  Then we'll talk.  Unless you've already offed yourself.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
If I were ever going to kill myself, I would've done it by now.
AMC