Author Topic: What I've been watching from Blockbuster  (Read 808 times)

etiolate

What I've been watching from Blockbuster
« on: October 21, 2006, 08:12:56 PM »

The Constant Gardener-

This one gets a partial score, since the dvd was all fucked up and I had to skip through scenes.  What I saw looked good, even though I really hated the out of order gimmick in the beginning.  It made me immediatly not care about a character from the start.  It eventually got better.

Silent Hill-

Another movie I was regretting at first.  The little girls acting at the start of hte movie is bad, the dad's accent changes and the mom is irrationally stupid for most of the film, then randomly has moments of rational clarity.  Once the film gets to Silent Hill, it gets better. Once it starts unraveling the town story, it gets better.  It just has some really weak moments and relies on the horror film trick of making your characters do needlessly stupid things, which is one reason I dislike 95% of horror films. The film does get across it's motherhood theme.  But in the end, does the mother manage to kill herself and the daughter by going off on this wildchase? That seems to be what it shows at the end. WTG mom.

A Prarie Home Companion-

I really liked this film.  The cast is amazing, thesets really nice and the banter good.  Lindsay Lohan even keeps up in the film!(and she wears glasses)  The Johnson Sisters characters have the best moments, but the best overall moment involves them and Garrison Keiller tryign to get through a commercial flub up.  Funny, musical, very character centric and powerful.  The whole death plot and theme seemed odd to me though. They could have not had the mysterious woman and it would have been fine.