Author Topic: DS fastest selling console in Japanese history.  (Read 3036 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: DS fastest selling console in Japanese history.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 06:41:23 PM »
DS is not a console.
PSP

theetrin

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 06:44:32 PM »
Not surprising. DS am awesome. I want to really see this kind of success for the Wii.

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 06:54:59 PM »
DS is not a console.
It sold faster than all consolles and handhelds ever releases. Doesn't matter what we call it.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 06:55:17 PM »
Not surprising. DS am awesome. I want to really see this kind of success for the Wii.

Too bad it won't happen.

smiles-and-cries

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 07:00:04 PM »

Too bad it won't happen.

are u sure?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 07:44:20 PM »
Honestly, Wii will just sell for the sake of it.  Do you realize how many people with disposable income want that thing?

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 11:30:59 AM »
Honestly, Wii will just sell for the sake of it.  Do you realize how many people with disposable income want that thing?

Not enough.  Not nearly enough.  Controller gimmick aside, there's not nearly enough of an upgrade from GC-PS2-Xbox to Wii for most people to justify spending the 200-250 the Wii will cost.  Wii is not going to convert the casuals the way us hardcore think it will.  In Japan it might do better because it may find the PS3's price creates space for the Wii, but that will likely happen only if developers move franchises back to Wii, and that's not certain. 

Wii will do Gamecube numbers I suspect.  The Nintendo faithful will buy it for Mario and Zelda and the casuals will wait and see. 

The price is going to matter here.  For early adopters, 200 bucks for a Wii or 300 for an Xbox 360?  At least with the X360 you're getting something that won't look like shit on a HDTV and stuff like Madden and WWE games. 
HOT

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 11:43:29 AM »
Unfortunately for gamers, the Wii is gonna streamroll Japan. It'll put up Playstation numbers across its lifespan over there.

In the west, it'll be another Gamecube. We don't have videogaming ennui Japan does -- our market here, despite what the Japanophiles think, is quite vital.
duc

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 11:47:12 AM »
Unfortunately for gamers, the Wii is gonna streamroll Japan. It'll put up Playstation numbers across its lifespan over there.

In the west, it'll be another Gamecube. We don't have videogaming ennui Japan does -- our market here, despite what the Japanophiles think, is quite vital.

I don't know.  I think Japan will be more likely to crash than to move en mass to the Wii.  It's going to be interesting to watch. 
HOT

The Black Stallion

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 11:54:05 AM »
Who gives a shit how well either console does in Japan? I'd like to know how many of you are actually Nintendo shareholders...

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 12:05:46 PM »
Who gives a shit how well either console does in Japan? I'd like to know how many of you are actually Nintendo shareholders...

It's more of an interest thing for me now.  In generations past, the winner of Japan would be the console that got most of my favorite genres and games, but with fighters being dead, and SHUMPS  being dead, and jRPGs being garbage...I guess I care for Silent Hill?  Maybe Resident Evil?  I dunno. 

HOT

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 12:20:53 PM »

Not enough.  Not nearly enough.  Controller gimmick aside, there's not nearly enough of an upgrade from GC-PS2-Xbox to Wii for most people to justify spending the 200-250 the Wii will cost.  Wii is not going to convert the casuals the way us hardcore think it will.  In Japan it might do better because it may find the PS3's price creates space for the Wii, but that will likely happen only if developers move franchises back to Wii, and that's not certain. 

Wii will do Gamecube numbers I suspect.  The Nintendo faithful will buy it for Mario and Zelda and the casuals will wait and see. 

The price is going to matter here.  For early adopters, 200 bucks for a Wii or 300 for an Xbox 360?  At least with the X360 you're getting something that won't look like shit on a HDTV and stuff like Madden and WWE games. 

I agree. I'm quite tired of hearing people delcare that the Wii will magically become the next DS and plummel the PS3 and Xbox 360. Not going to happen. It's not going to attract the casual gamer market who still want better graphics and new Maddens. Every casual gamer I've talked to about the Wii has two things to say:

1) The graphics are terrible! They suck
2) That there Virtual Console sounds tight

Last generation Zelda, Mario, and Metroid weren't enough to get people excited about the Gamecube. And with the Wii, why would they get excited over the same games, now with waggle control? Now I can't wait for these games or the Wii, but I'm looking at this from a business perspective. The Wii will be profitable even if it sells Gamecube numbers, and Nintendo will continue to preach to us about how the gaming industry needs to be changed.

The simple fact is that the Wii will be ahead of its time. When the Xbox 720 (which will be the market leader next gen assuming MS still makes consoles) and PS4 come out with similar technology and better graphics, Nintendo will be once again left in the dust.