Author Topic: Dead Celebrities who Earn the Most Money  (Read 3346 times)

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Dead Celebrities who Earn the Most Money
« on: October 25, 2006, 04:53:31 PM »
1. Kurt Cobain
2. Elvis
3. Charles Schulz
4. John Lennon
5. Albert Einstein
6. Andy Warhol
7. Dr. Seuss
8. Ray Charles
9. Johnny Cash
10. J.R.R. Tolkien

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20061024-105816-8997r.htm

Cobain makes $50 million a year. Well he would have if he didn't go all emo.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 04:56:50 PM by malek4980 »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: Dead Celebrities who Earn the Most Money
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 05:03:31 PM »
Cobain's popularity is directly tied to his suicide, though.  I doubt he'd be as popular, or Nirvana placed on a pedestal if he were still around.
PSP

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 05:09:05 PM »
Cobain's popularity is directly tied to his suicide, though.  I doubt he'd be as popular, or Nirvana placed on a pedestal if he were still around.
It's possible, but Nirvana was immensely popular before his death. He likely would not have been such an icon though.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 05:12:39 PM »

I don't know. Nirvana was a huge, huge band. They became the biggest band in the world overnight because they really took music and punched it in the face; no more Michael Jackson, no more hair metal - let's rock.

Who knows what they'd be if they were still around. It's safe to say they had more than one more classic album up their sleeves though. And in essense, one could also say that's being unfair considering all bands lose some popularity as they go on. People start copying your shit, and before you know it the clones are making more money off of your music than you.

They'd still be considered a ground breaking influencial band whether he died or not. The same way Tupac would still be the most influencial rapper, dead or alive; he'd probably be even more influencial if he was alive because he'd be putting all these wack ass rappers in check.

If Lennon was still alive would he be as popular? Probably not. But that wouldn't make him any less influencial or great*

*despite not being able to sing
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 05:14:22 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 05:15:44 PM »
The Beatles sold no records while he was alive. It wasn't until he died that they became popular. And fuck off he had a great singing voice.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 05:18:01 PM »
The Beatles sold no records while he was alive. It wasn't until he died that they became popular. And fuck off he had a great singing voice.

You know what I meant. Besides, Nevermind went diamond before Kurt's death if I remember correctly.

Lennon could not sing well, and he knew it. That's why he constantly hid his voice with studio tampering and shit.

Paul could really, really sing. John could sort of sing in the same way Jimi Hendrix could sort of sing

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 05:19:43 PM »
Nirvana was big, but so were a lot of bands back then.  If he was alive, I am sure Nirvana would just declined into oblivion and be remembered as an important rock band of that era - and there are many of those.
PSP

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 05:20:58 PM »
They did very little to his voice in most songs. He had a brilliant voice especially when he belted out a song like Twist and Shout or Money.

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 05:22:23 PM »
Nirvana was big, but so were a lot of bands back then.  If he was alive, I am sure Nirvana would just declined into oblivion and be remembered as an important rock band of that era - and there are many of those.
The pixies should be bigger than nirvana, kurt's suicide is what changed tha natural order.
P90

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 05:24:36 PM »
I think there are a handful of bands that live in the shadow of Nirvana due to Kurt's suicide, when they probably did more for music.
PSP

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 05:25:25 PM »
The pixies should be bigger than nirvana, kurt's suicide is what changed tha natural order.
This is some sort of revisionist history I will not be a part of. The Pixies have never sold more than a million albums while Nevermind sold close to ten million copies in the US alone.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 05:26:15 PM »
I don't think he's talking sales, but recognition.
PSP

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 05:26:16 PM »
I was watching the telly yesterday and came to the conclusion John Lennon was one ugly fucker. Looked a bit like Lawrence does now, with the long hair and the bald spot,  but with worse songs and more money.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 05:27:05 PM »

Like Pearl Jam? You're probably right. :(

So many awesome bands decline in their final years. Looking at the modern day Stevie Wonder/Aerosmith/Zeppelin (in their final years)/Rolling Stones/etc, it's just crazy.

Malek: Twist and Shout...Beatles stealing from the black man again. Isley Brothers FTW

I'm just fucking with you Malek. Although I truly don't believe John was a good singer, he had an iconic voice. Similar to Hendrix or Mick Jagger, although he was a better singer than those two

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 05:27:45 PM »
I was watching the telly yesterday and came to the conclusion John Lennon was one ugly fucker. Looked a bit like Lawrence does now, with the long hair and the bald spot,  but with worse songs and more money.
:-*

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 05:28:10 PM »
I don't think Nirvana would have been as popular if he hadn't committed suicide.  Most likely they would have suffered from the same decline in stardom and quality as most other bands.  He died at just the right moment in their career.

And Zeppelin went out on top, PD!!!

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 05:30:53 PM »
I don't think he's talking sales, but recognition.
He said bigger, and that usually denotes popularity. And Nirvana was "bigger" than the Pixies before Cobain killed himself so his death did not cause this. Anyway recognition by whom? Critics already recognize the Pixies so you must mean the general public, which can be measured largely by album sales.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 05:32:14 PM »
I don't think Nirvana would have been as popular if he hadn't committed suicide.  Most likely they would have suffered from the same decline in stardom and quality as most other bands.  He died at just the right moment in their career.

In Through the Out Door? :-\

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 05:33:49 PM »
The only band to go out on top was the Beatles. They were still the most popular band in the world and Abbey Road was the last album they recorded and it was also their best.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 05:34:39 PM »
I don't think Nirvana would have been as popular if he hadn't committed suicide.  Most likely they would have suffered from the same decline in stardom and quality as most other bands.  He died at just the right moment in their career.

In Through the Out Door? :-\
Fool In The Rain?  Perhaps their greatest song!
All My Love?  FUCKING BRILLIANT!

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 05:52:10 PM »
The only band to go out on top was the Beatles. They were still the most popular band in the world and Abbey Road was the last album they recorded and it was also their best.

I thought Let it Be was their last album, and it is considered to be their worst lolz

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 05:53:22 PM »

I thought Let it Be was their last album, and it is considered to be their worst lolz
"Abbey Road was the last album they recorded"
Anyway Beatles for Sale was their worst album. An album containing Two of Us, Let it Be, Across the Universe, the Long and Winding Road, I me Mine, For You Blue and Get Back is a GREAT MOTHER FUCKING ALBUM. I don't care what anyone says.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 05:56:37 PM by malek4980 »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 05:55:48 PM »

"Abbey Road was the last album they recorded"
The band initially rejected both the film and the album - instead recording and issuing the Abbey Road album. But with so much money having been spent on the project, it was decided to finish, and release, the film and album (the latter with considerable post-production by Phil Spector) in the spring of 1970. When the film finally appeared, it was after the break-up had been announced, and it was viewed by shocked fans as the last (but not the best) album of The Beatles.

Ok I see. But they still went out with a wimper lolz

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 05:57:25 PM »
Cobain's "suicide" note was actually a letter to the fans, apologizing to them and basically announcing the breakup of Nirvana.  In Utero was to be their final album.  This was later confirmed by Dave Grohl.

sig

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 05:58:22 PM »
Breakups only last as long as bank account funds.
PSP

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 05:59:57 PM »
Haha, true, but Cobain hated fame.  I don't think Nirvana would have reformed.
sig

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 06:00:26 PM »

Ok I see. But they still went out with a wimper lolz
Let it Be was not as good as their past albums, but it's not like it was bad.
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/6598123/86_let_it_be

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 06:01:16 PM »
He may have hated fame, as most self-destructive musicians do, but I'm sure he liked money.  That's also something must self-destructive musicians enjoy as well.

Truth is, there are very few artists that leave on a high note.  And even if Nirvana truly did end there, there's no way to say that Cobain's hypothetical post-Nirvana antics wouldn't have gradually tarnished their sterling reputation.

Think Tom Cruise.
PSP

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 06:04:00 PM »
And Courtney Love would have probably taken half of his money in their impending divorce  :o
sig

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 06:04:20 PM »
He may have hated fame, as most self-destructive musicians do, but I'm sure he liked money.  That's also something must self-destructive musicians enjoy as well.

Truth is, there are very few artists that leave on a high note.  And even if Nirvana truly did end there, there's no way to say that Cobain's hypothetical post-Nirvana antics wouldn't have gradually tarnished their sterling reputation.

Think Tom Cruise.

Tom Cruise's current actions do not tarnish his past glories. Him jumping on a couch did not make Rain Man cease to exist

IN CRUISE I TRUST

Malek: Beatles lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2006, 06:05:21 PM »
Shit, Let it Be has "Across the Universe" on it? Ok I take it all back

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2006, 06:09:07 PM »
And Courtney Love would have probably taken half of his money in their impending divorce  :o

See.

After being completely bled dry by his ex-wife, he cobbles together a patchwork Nirvana replacement band since Dave Grohl refuses to reunite out of principle and the popularity of his own band.  After years of downtime, and creatively bankrupt due to his emotional nightmare of a divorce, Cobain pumps out two horrendous albums that disgracefully bear the name of Nirvana on them.

People and critics call him washed up and a sellout, and the legion of Nirvana fans wash away in a wave of disdain.

It is a sad time.

... aren't you glad he killed himself?
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2006, 06:18:53 PM »

I hate you

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2006, 06:23:41 PM »
:lol

That's a likely timeline of events!
sig

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2006, 06:44:01 PM »

See.

After being completely bled dry by his ex-wife, he cobbles together a patchwork Nirvana replacement band since Dave Grohl refuses to reunite out of principle and the popularity of his own band.  After years of downtime, and creatively bankrupt due to his emotional nightmare of a divorce, Cobain pumps out two horrendous albums that disgracefully bear the name of Nirvana on them.

People and critics call him washed up and a sellout, and the legion of Nirvana fans wash away in a wave of disdain.

It is a sad time.

... aren't you glad he killed himself?
You didn't need to explain a hypothetical, but likely, situation in order for me to be glad he killed himself.

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2006, 06:44:54 PM »
:shh Courtney Love killed him/had him killed :shh
sig

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2006, 06:56:15 PM »
My best buddy in middle school was so obsessed with proving that Cobain was alive that his wall was completely covered with newspaper clippings, documents, photos and evidence that he felt would lead him to discovering the true events of Cobain's so-called "death".
PSP

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2006, 07:02:43 PM »
Heh, there was some dude in my high school geometry class that swore up and down that he saw Cobain outside of some club or bar or something in Los Angeles.  He said he was wearing funny looking sunglasses and dressed like a biker - leather jacket, Harley Davidson boots, etc. lol
sig

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2006, 07:06:45 PM »
Yes.

But Courtney Love killed him.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2006, 07:07:41 PM »
My best buddy in middle school was so obsessed with proving that Cobain was alive that his wall was completely covered with newspaper clippings, documents, photos and evidence that he felt would lead him to discovering the true events of Cobain's so-called "death".

You went to school with Hans?