Author Topic: New Direct to DVD Spider-Man Series In The Works  (Read 1349 times)

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
New Direct to DVD Spider-Man Series In The Works
« on: August 03, 2006, 03:35:09 AM »
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/722/722932p1.html
August 2, 2006 - On August 2, 2006, the Hollywood Reporter announced that Sony Pictures Television will release a collection of animated Spider-Man episodes on DVD in 2007. The episodes, produced under SPT's Culver Entertainment banner, will be released first on DVD and then be offered to broadcast and cable networks for reruns or original episodes.

According to the Reporter, "the idea for forming the division came out of conversations [SPT president Steve] Mosko had with Sony's home entertainment and international TV divisions, which were interested in creating more original content for the domestic home video market, for international TV buyers as well as for Sony's international TV channels." The first 13 half-hour episodes are expected to be released next year.

The forthcoming Spider-Man animated series is the first project under the Culver Entertainment banner, which is a company focused on developing and producing drama, comedy and animated series exclusively for DVD and international distribution. In addition to producing the DVDs for retail and broadcast markets, SPT is also said to be exploring a nontraditional DVD distribution channel, like enclosing the discs in magazines or in cereal boxes.

According to the Reporter, "budgets for the direct-to-DVD series will be comparable with the budgets for network series. For example, the budget for the new Spider-Man animated series is on par with the money spent on the most recent animated series featuring the web-slinging superhero, which SPT produced for MTV."

Stay tuned to IGN for more news, interviews and information about this and other exciting new DVD releases!

Think this will be worth buying? I don't know why they don't do some direct to DVD movie based on the Ultimate stuff like they did with The Ultimates.

I have Ultimates 2 preordered, btw.

smiles-and-cries

Re: New Direct to DVD Spider-Man Series In The Works
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 04:00:55 AM »
why so lazy why not sell it to Adult Swim or something first?

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 08:20:08 AM »
why so lazy why not sell it to Adult Swim or something first?
I would think it is more Saturday Morning material than Adult Swim.

DarienA

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 09:15:31 AM »