Author Topic: Your opinions on these songs?  (Read 767 times)

Loki

Your opinions on these songs?
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:42:38 AM »
Just a "yay/nay" is fine, though if you happen to really like/dislike any of them, feel free to offer a more thorough answer. 

Rootless Tree by Damien Rice
Mistaken for Strangers by The National
The Mariner's Revenge by The Decemberists
Two More Years by Bloc Party
Lake Michigan by Rogue Wave
Atlas by Battles
G Code by The Geto Boys
Ruby by The Kaiser Chiefs
D.A.N.C.E. by Justice
Wolf Like Me by TV on the Radio
Orange by Ed Alleyne-Johnson

Just trying to get some feedback.  Elitists please keep the rhetoric to a minimum. ;) :P  Just curious because I really like a few of the songs on here (won't say which ones, though :P) and I'd like to see if anyone shares my sentiments.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Re: Your opinions on these songs?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 02:19:45 AM »

This has been a bad decade for music. No wonder we haven't come up with a good name for it.

D.A.N.C.E. is OK, mostly because it reminds me of sesame street. And the Mariners Revenge is good.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:43:46 AM »
Two More Years is one of Bloc Party's best songs; tragedy it never made it onto an album.

Love Wolf Like Me.

Mistaken for Strangers is very excellent, though I can think of several National songs I like better (Mister November, for starters). I always feel like it's the missing song from the American Psycho soundtrack.

Atlas/Battles neer did much for me.

Ruby is okay, but got a bit annoying on the radio.

Never really got into D.A.N.C.E., if I want 70s-inspired happy funklectro I will just listen to The Go! Team?!
乱学者

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 03:54:54 AM »
Mistaken for Strangers is pretty cool I guess. Mr. November rules, though.

Wolf Like Me is fucking awesome.

Only two songs on there that I know.
AMC

Powerslave

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 03:55:12 AM »
The Go! Team?!

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 03:57:51 AM »
Mistaken for Strangers by The National - Teh awesome.
The Mariner's Revenge by The Decemberists - Not my favorite Decemberists song, but I guess it's cool.
Atlas by Battles - I guess it's neat as a gimmick.  I couldn't get into this band, really.
D.A.N.C.E. by Justice - Pretty good.  Not my favorite song on the album, but it's pretty clear why this was the big single.
Wolf Like Me by TV on the Radio -  Great song.  But they still never lived up to their first EP. 

That's all I've heard.

TV on the Radio is also disappointingly :( live.
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 04:03:18 AM »
Off of Boxer, I like Fake Empire more than Mistaken for Strangers. :P

And that's not surprising, TVC. For some reason, I just had the feeling they wouldn't translate well to live performances.
AMC

TVC15

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 04:07:06 AM »
And that's not surprising, TVC. For some reason, I just had the feeling they wouldn't translate well to live performances.

I dunno.  If Xiu Xiu can recreate their sound live, I'm disappointed that there are bands that can't.
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 04:09:36 AM »

I dunno.  If Xiu Xiu can recreate their sound live, I'm disappointed that there are bands that can't.

Did you see the Stage6 channel I posted in that thread? I don't think anyone did... there was a Xiu Xiu concert in it. I've never listened to them, so I can't compare.
AMC

TVC15

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 04:18:20 AM »

Did you see the Stage6 channel I posted in that thread? I don't think anyone did... there was a Xiu Xiu concert in it. I've never listened to them, so I can't compare.

I dun think so.  How many people were in the band in that particular video?
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 04:24:23 AM »

I dun think so.  How many people were in the band in that particular video?

I haven't watched it, I was just letting you know about it. :)
AMC

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 08:45:51 AM »
i like battles.  great technical group and i love atlas

i hate d.a.n.c.e. and that whole school of french electro.
Tonya

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 08:52:01 AM »
Out of the songs I know...

Atlas has a great beat and background melody but the chipmunk vocals are painful. Get me an instrumental and then we'll talk. DANCE is pretty good, very catchy but was beaten to death, I don't really get the Justice love, I mean they're OK but there's a lot of other EDM acts I vastly prefer, hell even in the same scene I much prefer Simian Mobile Disco. They're playing at Ultra this year, we'll see how they are live...
^_^

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 08:55:03 AM »
hell even in the same scene I much prefer Simian Mobile Disco. They're playing at Ultra this year, we'll see how they are live...

depends.  are they doing a DJ set or their live band PA?

DJ set is good, but if you've heard any of their sets you know what you're in for.  anthems done well. not really any surprises.  if they're doing full band prepare to be blown the fuck away.

SMD is so, so awesome.

Tonya

Robo

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 12:52:16 PM »
Altas was my least liked track on the Battles album, with Rainbow probably being my favorite.  They translate their sound surprisingly well live, particularly with the live drumming, and use the chipmunk vocal to a much, much better affect.  It loses its noisy, abrasive quality and comes off more natural and fluid, making the addition sort of a trippy enhancement rather than it being seemingly unnecessary.  They're coming around here again in a few months and I'm going to try to go once more.

The Mariner's Revenge Song is great.  Loved Picaresque more than most normal people.

Wolf Like Me is a song I don't think TV on the Radio will ever top.  It is really fantastic.

Ruby is the only song listed that I really detest.  Extensive radio play and Guitar Hero might be to blame for that.
obo

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 01:18:20 PM »
i didn't even notice Ruby being on that list

i love the kaiser chiefs, but had no idea about their popularity until i went to see them at the larger indie venue in DC and it was sold out to a bunch of 40 somethings.

that blew my mind

goatfuckers only knew Ruby and that's all they cared about
Tonya

Loki

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 08:59:31 PM »
I'm surprised to see that there isn't universal love for The Mariner's Revenge.  The first time I heard it, I was instantly entranced.  It's catchy, his vocal style is unique, and the song actually tells a story (and a good story at that!).  Perhaps -- nay, most likely -- it's just my limited exposure to various kinds of music talking, but I've never heard a song like this one.  I love it.  It just oozes cool imo.  Very unique.

Also surprised that there are people who don't like D.A.N.C.E. -- is that legal? ;)  What a great beat and sound that song has.  It just makes you wanna, well, dance. :)

Wolf Like Me is another one I like a lot.  Not much to say other than that it's cool.  My musical analysis doesn't run much deeper than that. :P

I also like Rootless Tree by Damien Rice.  I like the contrast in style throughout the song.  Good melody and good emotion in his vocals on both ends of the spectrum.   

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »
Two more years is a fucking awesome song.

Ruby is pretty shit for Kaiser Chiefs but still good.
itm