Author Topic: You know, after spending some quality time with Unreal Tournament 3. . .  (Read 1711 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
. . .I'm going back to 2004.  UT3 looks and runs like hot ass sex, but it's really lacking in game modes. 

Maybe UT3 will pick up in some months when there are lots and lots of mods and gamers are picking it up on the cheap.
serge

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
What modes are missing besides bombing run?

TVC15

Mainly that and Assault are the big ones.  Warfare is no good replacement.  Stuff like Domination is missed, too.

Here are all the missing modes that are present in previous games: 

Invasion, Mutant, Onslaught, Bombing Run, Last Man Standing, Domination, Double Domination, and Assault

Also, there's not so much good user content, yet.  That will fix itself.  It seems mapmakers just haven't adjusted to making maps yet--most of the custom ones I've played on look like, well, 2004 maps.
serge

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Did they at least fix the FOV for widescreen resolutions in UT3? When the game first launched, it was one of those UE3 games that displayed more stuff in 4:3. 

How many people are still playing UT2004?  It's visual style ages pretty well so I don't mind playing it again.  I'm gonna try putting the serial into Steam  so that I don't have to update the game myself. 

TVC15

Did they at least fix the FOV for widescreen resolutions in UT3? When the game first launched, it was one of those UE3 games that displayed more stuff in 4:3. 

I am like 90% sure that it has an adjustable FOV in the advanced graphics menu.

serge

TVC15

Ugh, it's hard to go back to UT2004.  Even if it does have more gameplay modes, UT3 looks sooooooooooo much better.  Normally, I wouldn't be a graphics over gameplay kind of person, but when we are talking arcadey FPSes, heck, what's a few extra game modes?  GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHICS!
serge

trh

That's like adjustable screen percentage or something like that, and I have yet to figure out when you'd ever want to use that. Seems like it's possible to type FOV # in the console though

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon

How many people are still playing UT2004?  It's visual style ages pretty well so I don't mind playing it again.  I'm gonna try putting the serial into Steam  so that I don't have to update the game myself. 

i don't have trouble finding people to play

i think that the steam distro on this game has helped the community
Tonya

TVC15

That's like adjustable screen percentage or something like that, and I have yet to figure out when you'd ever want to use that. Seems like it's possible to type FOV # in the console though

I just checked.  There's Adjustable Screen Percentage and FOV.  FOV allows you to go from 80-99 degrees, with the default at 90.
serge

trh

huh really? I don't have that, but I haven't patched my UT yet - and I probably won't bother.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
Waiting for the magic $20 mark on UT3, since I generally play COD4 and TF2 for my happy shooter fun time on the PC. I liked the demo well enough, but after like an hour or so of play man did it seen tired.

Just passing the time until Fallen Empires comes out. Even if it looks like poop, Tribes' brand of gameplay was like the perfect FPS for me.
hex

TVC15

Waiting for the magic $20 mark on UT3, since I generally play COD4 and TF2 for my happy shooter fun time on the PC. I liked the demo well enough, but after like an hour or so of play man did it seen tired.

Just passing the time until Fallen Empires comes out. Even if it looks like poop, Tribes' brand of gameplay was like the perfect FPS for me.

You can get the Unreal Pack on Steam, but I'd bet you already own all the other games in it :p

Anyway, this game is so gorgeous:

TEXTUREZILLA.
serge

Smooth Groove

Nice.  They should make another Star Trek:Elite Force with UE3. 

TVC15

I wish user made levels looked that good.  They must have had to pay a fortune for the art assets to UT3, because the detail is unmatched, as far as intricate textures goes.  I have no fucking idea what sort of deal they made with satan to get that to run so insanely well, either.
serge

Smooth Groove

I still don't get why Gears have so many stability/performance issues on the PC when UT3 is running so well. 

Btw, what type of level is that screenshot from?

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
gears pc was done by people can fly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Can_Fly

TVC15

I still don't get why Gears have so many stability/performance issues on the PC when UT3 is running so well. 

I think it's just a DM level.  I took it a few days ago.

I am guessing Gears on PC is such a disaster since it was running on an earlier, rushed version of the engine?  Maybe they made compromises to get it out the door that could not be easily undone, especially when it came to a port that probably (realistically) would not move many copies at all.
serge

Smooth Groove

I think it's just a DM level.  I took it a few days ago.

I am guessing Gears on PC is such a disaster since it was running on an earlier, rushed version of the engine?  Maybe they made compromises to get it out the door that could not be easily undone, especially when it came to a port that probably (realistically) would not move many copies at all.

That was a nice pic.  Are you playing in 1920x1200?  What's the maximum resolution that tinypic allows?  Photobucket is so damn small.

gears pc was done by people can fly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Can_Fly

Borys should go pee on them. 

TVC15

Yeah, that was at 1920x1200.  I don't have the full resolution pic anymore, but it would be easy enough to recreate if you wanted.  I took it, I think, on Saturday, when I was playing it. 
serge

Smooth Groove

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more 1920x1200 screenshots.  Where can you host them at that size for free? 

MCD

• Fastest selling shit

TVC15

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more 1920x1200 screenshots.  Where can you host them at that size for free? 

I'll gladly take some tomorrow.  I just got done my evening gaming and I am chilling now.  If you have any map prefs, let me know.
serge

Smooth Groove

Thanks, McDragon.  That site still wouldn't take the full, uncompressed BMP but it should look much better than photobucket.   

Here's a classic pic that I took myself:

I'll gladly take some tomorrow.  I just got done my evening gaming and I am chilling now.  If you have any map prefs, let me know.

I don't have the game yet so take whatever you want.  That level you took looks cool though.  I'll like to see more of it. 

I'm probably gonna be frugal like Frag on this one and wait for a price drop, since I don't currently have the time for a MP shooter. 

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
try this for huge ass images:

http://www.mediafire.com/