Author Topic: You can tell a Nintendo fanboy by the length of his hair.  (Read 4012 times)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
You can tell a Nintendo fanboy by the length of his hair.
« on: November 07, 2006, 05:28:10 PM »
So at lunch I meandered over to the local Gamestop store with MAF and TVC-15.

(yes, Corny, this is one of those self-righteous geek rants that enrage you so much.)

The trio of clerks -- I use that term loosely, since they're more interested in expounding on their LEET INSIDUR KNOWLEDGE than actual customer service -- were in full effect. See, there's three dudes that sit behind the counter regularly. Let's meet them, shall we?

1. RIMS -- he is the second in command; the bo'sun to the store's assistant manager asspirate. He loves the Wii. He told MAF a couple weeks ago to NEVER TOUCH HIS WII without a hint of irony amid his apoplexy. MAF reassured the florid little lawn gnome that he did not wish to touch his Wii much to everyone's amusement but the dude still took up a defensive perimeter around the new kiosk. Anyways, Rims loves to inform everyone about his deep knowledge of Nintendo and that he is attending DigiPen. Today he informed that FF3 has as many classes as FFV, but that I can't pick up FFV because I didn't preorder. He is very very serious about Nintendo and their fortunes. I do not buy PSP games from him because he'll always ask in this disingenuous voice still fraught with the earnest tones of a man of faith: "how do you handle the long load times?"

Typical conversation:

<Rims> Did you preorder <insert DS game here>
<Me> I don't really like mini-game collections
<Rims> <long rant about "pick up and play" games and innovation, every word heavy with fanboy gravity>
<Me> ...
<Rims> <winking asides to coworkers about how they've played the Wii and how 'awesome' it is>
<Me> ...can I have my debit card back?

2. "that Shouta-lookin' guy" -- we don't have a name for this guy; in fact, we're not sure he's an employee. He always stands behind the counter but never helps anyone. He's a really large Samoan-looking guy, and reminds us of GAF mod Shouta. He tends to inform us of things we already know, like current game releases; or of things we don't know, like current CRAP game releases. He really wants to chat with me even though I have my DON'T TALK TO ME face going on, but years of training have led me to make eye contact with everybody I encounter so I invariably set him off. Fortunately, he usually keeps it short.

Typical Conversation:

<Shouta-esque> MAGICAL STARSIGN IS OUT TODAY!
<Me> yeah, no.
<Shouta-esque> OH!
<Both> ...

-or-

<Shouta-esque> FINAL FANTASY FIVE IS OUT TODAY!
<Me> cool.
<Shouta-esque> I BOUGHT THE LAST COPY!
<Both> ...

He's sort of a weird background dude, who punctuates the greasy nerd atmosphere with random observations or assertions. He's probably okay by himself, but when Rims and the assistant manager get on a fanboy roll, he always chimes in with his one-line Hesh-style remarks. He's kinda the slap bass in the polka band of raw fandom comprised by the rest of the store staff.

PATCHOULI -- he's the assistant manager, or maybe he's the manager. He's the worst. When the obnoxious chubby Nintendo rep chick is in, they stage these ridiculous little tableaux where he will ask very obvious and painful questions about the Wii's appeal to girls and grandmothers and she will answer with cutesy, inclusive answers. Apparently, these implicit externalized conversations are designed to get people to join in and ask questions about the Wii. He is tall, skinny, pimply, and has really long lank hair. It's like an episode of GameLife repurposed as a QVC skit. I feel like I'm being sold bogus real-estate second-hand. He always asks me to preorder DS stuff, even when I didn't own a DS. When I say I'm not interested in the item he wants me to preorder, he usually gives me some semi-lengthy schtick about why it's so innovative and how someone he knows -- usually a non-gamer -- loves it. I try to deflect the remark with some self-deprecating comment about what a super graphics dork I am, but he'll have none of it. He's EVANGELICAL. He loves his interventions and his stories of those wayward souls who likewise found their GOD OF TOUCH AND WAGGLE. He smells really awful.

Typical conversation:

<Patchouli> <to no-one in particular> Man, I just can't wait to get that Nintendo kiosk set up -- hope <name of Nintendo rep> comes by tonight with the *pause* WII-MOTE.
<Rims> Yeah, I'll work late just to play it!
<Shouta-esque> MAGICAL STARSIGN IS MY FAVORITE GAME SO FAR.
<Patchouli> <again, no-one in particular> It'll be really hard to get kids to stop playing it, I bet, it's so amazingly interactive!
<Rims, unaware that he is fat> haha, yeah, maybe they'll lose some weight!
<Patchouli> haha, yeah
<browsing customer> when you guys gettin gears of war in
<Patchouli> Soon, but you should use that money to preorder a Wii. Gears is just more of the same!
<browsing customer> ...
<Patchouli> haha, just kiddin' guy, I'll look that up for you!
<Patchouli> ...but really, Gears *is* just more of the same. The Wii is something really new!

"Some guy who TVC says rocks because he's an effective retail employee and actually remembers that TVC blows entire paychecks there" -- I don't remember this guy. I like that about this mythical employee; he obviously does his job, and therefore, I don't recall him. He probably gave me some nice discounts once, and probably kept his remarks friendly and noncommittal. If we made small talk, it was probably about what I was buying, not what I should buy. He peobably has a decent haircut.

:(

This is why I buy from GameCrazy. They're all Nintendo fans there, too -- fuck, we're close to Redmond, so what do you expect -- but the manager, COOKING MAMA, is a professional first and a fanboy second. She forced one fanboy out of her store just because he was pulling shit like above doofus trio does, and she doesn't seem disappointed when I pay for an overpriced PSP game cuz HEY MONEY. Really, they should just hire HOT CHICKS WHO HATE GAMES to staff these stores and shame the distinguished mentally-challenged fellows into a little decorum. Just sayin'!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 05:31:43 PM by Drinky Crow »
duc

Re: You can tell a Nintendo fanboy by the length of his hair.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 05:32:45 PM »
<Shouta-esque> FINAL FANTASY FIVE IS OUT TODAY!
<Me> cool.
<Shouta-esque> I BOUGHT THE LAST COPY!
<Both> ...

:rofl
haa

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 05:33:19 PM »
:lol
PSP

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 05:33:50 PM »
I don't go to game stores if I can help it - Gamefly is where it is at

dap

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 05:33:58 PM »
:rofl
BKO

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 05:37:08 PM »
I think this is true.  I can't stand cutting my hair.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 05:39:38 PM »
seriously, Patchouli talks like a fuckin' QVC salesman. He and the rep drove me bonkers two weeks ago where they had this whole canned conversation going on for the store's "benefit" and where they'd try to move any requests about the shit they actually SELL into Wii or DS discussions. The rep was really snotty, too.

Ironically, I was there to buy Clubhouse Games, as I recall.
duc

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 05:44:19 PM »
Its like being a smarmy ass is a prerequisite to being hired at those places. I'm usually half a step from open hand slapping one of the dudes in the face.

I remember one chick was ringing up something for me and had to go under the register for something. She came back up and her necklace got caught on something. She made this really high pitched gagging sound, it was so exaggerated and made me feel embarrassed.

This in a nutshell is how awkward Gamestop employees are
:9

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 05:46:30 PM »
yeah, "awkward" is the best term for it. i'm no stranger to parties full of geeks trying to one-up each other, but this always feels like one that I WASN'T INVITED TO.
duc

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 05:46:44 PM »
Oh god, it's so true.  

I avoid Gamestop except when I need to pick something up that A.) Wal Mart/Target etc. do no carry B.) When I want to preorder something without waiting for it to be delivered or C.) Buy used accessories or old used games.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 05:49:32 PM »
I have never met a hardcore nintendo fan in my life.  All the game store employees I meet just say random jokes about sony.  Guy holds up a PSP "Wear protection".  They get minimum wage so they don't give a shit.  I met one guy who loved that pac-man drawing game but the other clerk immediately told him that the DS feels really cheap so that I think balances it out.

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 05:54:05 PM »
I would be PATCHOULI  :D

P90

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 05:56:01 PM »
I need a haircut.

Anyway that second guy sounds hilarious.
萌え~

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 06:04:19 PM »
Haha awesome another Drinky Crow rant ;p.

I don’t know why I never get these “talks” at any of these stores ever.  I never get a lecture about games or hassled to pre-order/buy something.  It’s just in and out.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 06:05:56 PM »
I think you need to live in Seattle, its a BIG gaming area.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 06:07:01 PM »
yeah, this store is right between the MS and Nintendo campuses, with DigiPen not too far off. It's like the Bermuda Triangle of Sony-hating fandom. In fact, I think seminal poster Opa-Opa was conceived in a dumpster behind the Burger King here.
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 06:07:10 PM »
Melissa can attest to this, but the EB Games on the Universal City Walk actually has a couple of honest-to-God cute and helpful clerks.
PSP

Christopher

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 06:07:57 PM »
aren't most game employees men willco?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 06:08:49 PM »
They've got females, Christopher.  Real females.  Vaginas and all.
PSP

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 06:10:24 PM »
Melissa can attest to this, but the EB Games on the Universal City Walk actually has a couple of honest-to-God cute and helpful clerks.

They were all middle aged men last time I was there.... :-X
BKO

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 06:12:08 PM »
Last time, there was a cute female clerk there that actually scored me a discount on the DS Lite that I shouldn't have gotten.

One of the main manager guys of the place is kind of a dick.  He's your typical 20-something, "omg im a manager teh powah!" type of young retail lemming.
PSP

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 06:15:56 PM »
The sea itself parts for Willco.
dap

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 06:16:59 PM »
Well I am Jewish!
PSP

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 06:22:09 PM »
There's a cute girl at my gamestop.  And she's asian with a large chest.  Too bad she's a fucking harcore Nintendo fanboy that nearly crucified me when I pre-ordered my 360 HD DVD add on.  I don't want a fucking lecture about my purchase.  Fuck you bitch and stick that cross you wanted to nail me on up your sweet fucking asian pussy exorcist style.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2006, 06:22:41 PM »
I get turned on by chicks who like Nintendo.  The more hardcore, the crazier they are underneath.  They're boiling with desire for maturity, but feel they must continue their loyalty to the cute and friendly demeanor of Nintendo (which is how they project themselves to mostly everyone).  Underneath that surface is a girl who wants to run over hookers and steal people's money and fuck until the sun comes up.

Go for it Muepepe.
PSP

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2006, 06:23:37 PM »
Me too, although I didn't realize it until recently.
dap

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2006, 06:24:11 PM »
Good man, playing mario kart with some sexy nintendo fangirl rocks.
萌え~

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2006, 06:25:06 PM »
I get turned on by chicks who like Nintendo.  The more hardcore, the crazier they are underneath.  They're boiling with desire for maturity, but feel they must continue their loyalty to the cute and friendly demeanor of Nintendo (which is how they project themselves to mostly everyone).  Underneath that surface is a girl who wants to run over hookers and steal people's money and fuck until the sun comes up.

Go for it Muepepe.
Holy shit dude.  I never thought of it this way.  I can mold her into the psycho that I want her to be.

Oblivion

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2006, 06:29:52 PM »
<Rims, unaware that he is fat>

:lol

But oddly enough, I haven't met a harcore Nbot anywhere outside of E3. Then again, I don't frequent gamestores (ESPECIALLY EB/GS) a lot.

Most of the times that I did go, I got some Xbox fanboy urging me to pre-order Halo 3, referencing the pre-orders for Halo 2, etc. Even when I told him I'm not into FPS games, he wouldn't stop. :/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 06:50:40 PM by Oblivion »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006, 06:34:38 PM »
Quote from: Drinky Crow
I feel like I'm being sold bogus real-estate second-hand
:lol Drinky>all

The employees at my Gamestop are pretty cool. So far I've only had one incident with them. I went in to buy Metroid Hunters on it's launch day, and when I walked up to the counter he start spazzing out.

Employee: Oh, lucky. Sadly I can't play the game right now because I'm working
Phoenix: Yeah...
Employee: I've been waiting for this game ever since the Dual Screen was first shown
Phoenix: ...
Employee: Throughout the day I've been worshipping at the altar of Samus, waiting to get off work
*points to cardboard cut out of Samus advertising Metroid Hunters in front of store*
Phoenix: Yeah...the game looks pretty good
Employee: Maybe I'll see you online and I can headshotty you?

I paid, and quickly walked out the store before he could possibly ask for my friend code or some shit like that. What the hell

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2006, 06:40:41 PM »
the altar of samus :lol
萌え~

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2006, 06:41:23 PM »
I just called Gamestop to speak to the manager to confirm that they were getting the HD DVD drive in (my obsessive compulsive disorder kicking in) and while Christie, the N-bot asian hottie says she's going to go ask the manager, I hear someone in the background spewing crap about the 360.  It was about that fucking online class with the PS3.

His exact words

"Sony just revealed today that the processor that creates the video games in the PS3 is 3 times more powerful than the 360.  You should definitely pre order a PS3."

Customer: "Oh wow.  So is the 360 just older?"

"No, it's just a lot weaker and outdated."

KIJAL;DSL;JFAKL;JF   FDSKDF   I wanted to scream sweet obscenities into the phone until my Nazi Asian came back and told me he said it would definitely be in tomorrow.  I came in my hand and hung up the phone in fury.

etiolate

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2006, 06:44:08 PM »
I've always observed the customers as being as bad as the employees, if not worse.  That's one reason I hesistated about getting a summer job at a game place.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2006, 06:44:38 PM »
I've always observed the customers as being as bad as the employees, if not worse.  That's one reason I hesistated about getting a summer job at a game place.
I'm sure a lot of times they do it to fuck with us and laugh about it in the back.

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 06:45:21 PM »
Customers are worse than employees, no doubt.
BKO

Christopher

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2006, 06:50:54 PM »
god videogame fans are such feggits sometimes do people really talk like that outside forums?

No one ever came to our store and said lol well American Eagle has more thread counts and better colors!!!!

Himu

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2006, 09:56:38 AM »
Hey guys. :( Shouta's not the bad. :( I love the guy.

I haven't had that problem at my gamestop. I just go in, buy a game, and they give me special treatment because I buy so many games. Like, I got a free game just th eother week for telling them it was my bday.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2006, 10:46:26 AM »
This is why I love Japanese game stores so much.  You walk in, sell or buy what you what, and leave without ANY HASSLE WHATSOEVER.  Nothing is pushed on you, and the clerks will not start talking about any fanboy shit.  They just help you with whatever you need and you're finished.  And on top of that, you get point cards.  Doesn't cost you a yen and you don't have to sign up for anything...just buy stuff, get points, and then get 1000 yen off your purchase when it fills up.  It's awesome.  The bigger stores get even higher.  When I bought a new PC monitor for my 360 last month, I got enough points from it alone to get Tenchu Senran from them for free.

Yup, people are idiots on both sides of the counter.  I worked with and had to deal with plenty of "morans" on a daily basis.

I have trouble talking about videogames out loud because I want to avoid ever sounding like a Gamestop employee or a rabid fanboy.

This is the key.  I would just shut up and not say a word in the game stores I used to go to back home.  If the clerk seemed decent enough and started talking to me, I'd start to talk with them, but I found that simply giving them repeat business and politely refusing the stuff that they pushed on me was enough for them to stop with it (it's required of them anyway), sell me what I wanted and make some friendly smalltalk every time.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 10:50:33 AM by lyte edge »
ど助平

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2006, 10:54:40 AM »
As someone fairly knowledgable on the industry, I just play dumb and see what kind of idiocy they'll try and spoonfeed me.
PSP

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2006, 11:45:35 AM »
I just give clerks an icey cold stare deep into their soul where, for but a split second, their worth is placed before an immortal tribunal.
o_0

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2006, 04:27:49 PM »
Quote from: Drinky Crow
I feel like I'm being sold bogus real-estate second-hand
:lol Drinky>all

The employees at my Gamestop are pretty cool. So far I've only had one incident with them. I went in to buy Metroid Hunters on it's launch day, and when I walked up to the counter he start spazzing out.

Employee: Oh, lucky. Sadly I can't play the game right now because I'm working
Phoenix: Yeah...
Employee: I've been waiting for this game ever since the Dual Screen was first shown
Phoenix: ...
Employee: Throughout the day I've been worshipping at the altar of Samus, waiting to get off work
*points to cardboard cut out of Samus advertising Metroid Hunters in front of store*
Phoenix: Yeah...the game looks pretty good
Employee: Maybe I'll see you online and I can headshotty you?

I paid, and quickly walked out the store before he could possibly ask for my friend code or some shit like that. What the hell

???

My EBfag said pretty much the EXACT SAME THING.  Even the bit about the Samus worshipping thing.
püp