Author Topic: MADD wants GTA4 to be rated AO  (Read 1296 times)

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
MADD wants GTA4 to be rated AO
« on: May 03, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190213.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;3

Much like its unfortunate series of protagonists, the Grand Theft Auto series seems to be continually under fire. The latest parental interest group to put the game in its crosshairs is Mothers Against Drunk Driving, which commemorated Grand Theft Auto IV's release yesterday with its own official statement decrying the game.

Noting that drunk driving claims nearly 13,500 lives each year, MADD said that it is "extremely disappointed" that the game lets users get virtually drunk and then get behind the wheel of an equally virtual automobile.

"Drunk driving is not a game and it is not a joke," MADD said. "Drunk driving is a choice, a violent crime, and it is also 100 percent preventable."

MADD is asking the Entertainment Software Rating Board to bump Grand Theft Auto IV's rating up to AO for Adults Only from M for Mature. The ESRB's content descriptors for the game currently include "use of drugs and alcohol." The parental group also said that it is asking the game's "manufacturer" (presumably Take-Two Interactive) to consider stopping distribution out of a sense of social responsibility, or out of respect for those who've been hurt or killed by drunk drivers.

Fuck them bitches amirite.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: MADD wants GTA4 to be rated AO
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 08:49:26 PM »
I think it would be funny if drinking actually made the cars drive better
sup

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 09:25:20 PM »
Eel O' has got a point. I mean, whats a better case for NOT drinking and driving than experiencing GTAIVs version of it? You can't control the car, crash into shit, cops will arrest you on sight.
:9

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 12:52:53 AM »
::) I lost a sibling in a one car drunk driving accident fuckin' 19 years ago and think they should stfu.
Hi

drew

• sy
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 01:24:33 AM »
All this would do is fuck over everyone who's bought the game from ever trading it in @ Gamestop.  Just like with San Andreas.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 01:47:43 AM »
but something like Ninja Gaiden 2, where you can completely de-limb a body, will go unnoticed. :lol

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 01:57:20 AM »
seriously, just make the game AO.

everyone who enjoyed and grew up playing GTA3 are surely over 18 now anyways.

It'd be interesting to see what happens - Walmart apparently wouldn't stock it - but would they throw away all those lovely sales?

Maybe it'd be the game that could break the AO barrier and allow the rating to be stocked in stores.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 05:09:00 AM »

I think they should learn to focus on real issues.
o_0

FatalT

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 07:00:20 AM »
I think I'm gonna bang a MADD someday.

Candyflip

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 07:30:40 AM »
lol. Glorification of organized crime, drugs, drive-bys, carjacking, prostitution, and murder for sport, and they cite DUI as the reason the franchise's most recent installment deserves an AO rating. Glad their priorities are in order.

And a big fat :rofl at this:
The parental group also said that it is asking the game's "manufacturer" (presumably Take-Two Interactive) to consider stopping distribution out of a sense of social responsibility
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:32:38 AM by Candyflip »
ffs

MoxManiac

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 10:02:46 AM »
seriously, just make the game AO.

everyone who enjoyed and grew up playing GTA3 are surely over 18 now anyways.

It'd be interesting to see what happens - Walmart apparently wouldn't stock it - but would they throw away all those lovely sales?

From what I understand, Sony and MS don't usually let AO games go through. They'd probably make an exception for GTA4 if it was rated that way, though.
no

Jabberwocky

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 10:08:53 AM »
Every time a violent videogame becomes wildly popular this happens. Stupid cunts.  :lol
8)

Powerslave

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 10:09:25 AM »
I think I'm gonna bang a MADD someday.

MADDs :hump

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 10:20:24 AM »
Good Luck MADD trying to accomplish anything.

You won't. You will bitch. Your efforts will be futile.

Nothing can stop GTAIV.
HLR

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 12:24:20 PM »
Now that MADD has spoke, I'm waiting for GLAAD to speak up.  I mean they gotta say something about that mission where you set up a date on the internet with French Tom, right?  It just seems they're asking for controversy.
Tacos

Rman

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »
The other issue with AO games is that all big box retailers do not stock AO games.  Take2, would never ship an AO game as a result.  Look at Manhunt 2.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 07:17:03 PM »
This is obviously planted Microsoft agents willing to get the game sales reduced to almost nothing, damaging the Year of PS3.
🍆🍆

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 08:06:43 PM »
it makes sene that they would oppose drunk driving sims.  of course rockstar put that in knowing that it would get that sort of response and publicity.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 09:17:51 PM »
Great job on raising public awareness on this game you dumb bitches.  Rockstar's marketing department must have one of the easiest jobs around.