Author Topic: The Bore Photography  (Read 107313 times)

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: Evilbore Photography
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2008, 12:58:42 PM »
Should I keep this picture in color or in black and white?

or

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2008, 01:04:14 PM »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2008, 01:19:14 PM »

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »
Great pics mups.  That last one is particularly awesome.

B&W adds interest to that pic I think.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:07:16 PM by Bildi »

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2008, 07:22:14 PM »
BT, what is Digital Photo Professional?  Worth tracking down?  Where kin I git it?

I haven't been out in the past several months.  The dentalgeddon kind of interrupted me.  I need to get back on the wagon.

I just took this yesterday, lol

serge

ch1nchilla

« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2008, 07:33:12 PM »
Should I keep this picture in color or in black and white?

(Image removed from quote.)

Black and white.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2008, 08:57:40 PM »
BT, what is Digital Photo Professional?  Worth tracking down?  Where kin I git it?

I haven't been out in the past several months.  The dentalgeddon kind of interrupted me.  I need to get back on the wagon.

I just took this yesterday, lol

omfg that case is sexy

And DPP is Canon's Photo processing software (Digital Photo Professional). As far as workflow goes (compared to Lightroom) its a distinguished mentally-challenged step child with Hep C but its supposed to be much better at handling Noise Reduction and Sharpening (also Color accuracy) in Canon RAW files. My work on a picture consists of me messing with Exposure, White Balance, Contrast, Sharpening and Noise Reduction within DPP then throwing it to CS3 to finish it up.

Here's a link to DPP 3.5 (Canon hasn't released it yet, on the net. Its sent with the Canon 50D): http://www.badongo.com/file/11567980

The only issue is that, you need to edit your registry and add the key Canon and under that DPP within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software. Reason being, Canon releases this software as an update that you install with the provided Canon software on the CD that came with your camera, even though the file itself is the whole program :lol . Its one of the bigger boneheaded decisions I've ever seen.

Also, if your into Post Processing beyond trying to fix your pictures to look correct, Alien Skin Exposure is pretty awesome. Its made to emulate old school Color and B&W film. Here are some examples I made up myself...

Regular

Processed as Agfa Optima (Cross Processed Film) with a "Warm" tone tilt
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:00:03 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

jiji

« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2008, 06:12:39 PM »
Recent stuff...

My Leica M2's on its way to a repairman for the second time, as it seems like the light shields or the shutter curtains are letting in light here and there when I take the camera into bright sunlight. It's in amazing shape and is amazingly reliable for a 50-year-old-camera, but even Leicas need some extra attention sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 06:14:50 PM by jiji »
OTL

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2008, 06:26:51 PM »
I want a Leica M2, but they're a bit too pricey for me.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2008, 11:24:04 PM »
Posted this on GAF but thought you guys would like to try it out...

Messing with DIY Custom Bokeh: http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_create_your_own_bokeh

This image was taken of my window, it had just rained so there was a bunch of droplets on the window. The street light was illuminating them. I used my 50mm f/1.4 lens @ 1.4 (larger aperture = more pronounced effect), threw the light and droplets out of focus and voila!

Here's the paper filter...

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2008, 11:33:15 PM »
Wow, that's pretty neat.  Some really interesting examples in the link too.  Thanks for the info. :)

cloudwalking

• I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND
  • Forum Princess
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2008, 03:18:39 AM »
i'd love to try that, but my lens doesn't open wide enough. time to get a portrait lens.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2008, 01:18:08 AM »
Here's some more Custom Bokeh stuff from me (well, one shot). I cut out a heart shape and created a hood for it (77mm, to fit on my 50mm f/1.4). Helps when your trying to focus, the paper won't hit against the front of the lens.

Here's the filter/hood:

Here's a shot with filter:

You can see that I did a hack job at cutting out the heart. The single "OoF" light is actually my Card Readers LED. I'm actually thinking of getting some hole punchers (with various shapes) just for this :lol . The picture I took could easily be done with photoshop but I think this technique shines when you've got an assload of "out of focus" lights. Can't wait to use it in portraits.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2008, 10:13:03 AM »
MARVEL AT MY ABILITY TO CAPTURE BEAUTY

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2008, 12:19:04 PM »
damn dude.  those are really nice

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2008, 06:37:16 PM »
Great pics BT.  I like this one the best:

:heart

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2008, 01:32:13 PM »

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2008, 10:37:53 AM »
I like this one the most Mups:

Nice composition and action pics are really tricky to get.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2008, 12:08:02 PM »
:D Thanks

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2008, 12:37:26 PM »

The shots with the fireworks are amazing, I've shot fireworks (BIG ONES) since I was 11, so looking at the pictures I know exactly how it looked and sounded. Fireworks always put me in a good mood. :)
UK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2008, 12:48:19 PM »
:D  the fireworks were so awesome.  we were getting kinda pissed and regretting that we had stayed because they were late on starting.  but as soon as they started we were glad we stayed

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2008, 12:56:51 PM »
Those fireworks pictures are great, mupepe. And those Renaissance pictures are awesome. For years now, I've been meaning to go to King Richard's Fair... maybe next year.

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2008, 12:59:26 PM »
If you have a license, getting that size of firework is pretty much the same price as regular canister shells are to the common man. If you don't you gotta meet somebody in a parking garage and pay THROUGH THE NOSE, LIKE 60$ A SHELL THROUGH THE NOSE for that size shell. 
UK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2008, 03:31:56 PM »
Kablow!

That's my niece... she's my lil' juju bean  :teehee
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 03:33:46 PM by BlueTsunami »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2009, 08:16:46 PM »
Three new ones

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2009, 10:23:16 PM »

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2009, 11:29:42 PM »
No amazing photography since there is only so much you can do from that position, but the subject is pretty alright

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2009, 10:23:53 AM »
I was thinking of looking into DSLR once I get more money. And recommendations for a total beginner, Blue?
PSP

elektrikluv

« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2009, 10:31:49 AM »
Some really beautiful photos there, Blue. I really like the 2nd and the 5th.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2009, 04:54:56 PM »
I was thinking of looking into DSLR once I get more money. And recommendations for a total beginner, Blue?

Depends on if you're willing to get second hand or if you want a new body (and how much you're willing to pay).

The pure entry level DSLRs are the Canon Rebels (which is what I own). You can actually get a Canon Rebel T1i Kit for $830 on Amazon. It comes with a zoom lens that's capable of image stabilization and records HD video (720p@30fps, 1080p@20fps). The earlier generation bodies are less costly, if you don't mind losing the ability to record video. I actually paid $800 for my 3 generation back Canon Rebel XT at Best Buy :lol (this was two years ago). Its very competent in the IQ department nonetheless.

Some really beautiful photos there, Blue. I really like the 2nd and the 5th.

Thanks, elektrikluv!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:57:08 PM by BlueTsunami »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2009, 04:56:33 PM »
Yeah, I'm looking into the $600 - $900 range (this is a way's off). I'm debating whether or not to sell off my Canon Vixia and just get a DSLR that records video instead.
PSP

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2009, 04:59:48 PM »
The only thing about the DSLR video recording capabilities is that its hindered by rolling shutter. I believe this is when you pan the camera from side to side the video will wobble (its probably more pronounced in the Canon Rebels). All the videos I've seen of people using the T1i to record is usually static in position, probably due to the rolling shutter.

Here's a video of the effect being tested off a T1i

http://www.vimeo.com/5596910

But here's a non test shot for the t1i... looks pretty good when used for real stuff...

http://www.vimeo.com/5398434
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 05:03:03 PM by BlueTsunami »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2009, 06:34:39 PM »
I think I might keep my Vixia, from the looks of it.

It looks like if I keep an eye open, I can get an XSi (well, the body) for around $400.
PSP

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2009, 07:07:14 PM »
Definitely. If your interested in lenses too, I would get the Canon 50mm/1.8 for $80. Getting such a fast lens is what will set your camera apart from a Point and Shoot (as far as being able to shoot in bad lighting).

The images I posted were taken with my Rebel XT's kit lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6). Its certainly a capable lens.

Blu:

First one has some very nice repetition and light. Like it.

Second one just has me for some reason, some intagible story going on there.

Also love the last one, the colours are amazing!

Only one I don't dig at all is the 5th one, don't like that kind of treatment.

And thanks, Kosma! Yeah, the selective B&W tends to not be good but I liked it in that shot due to everything being exposed similarly (so the image was sort of busy). I guess that was me trying to save the shot  :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 07:12:52 PM by BlueTsunami »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »
Isnt the biggest difference the difference in sensor size?

That too (ISO1600 on my Rebel XT is definitely leagues better than the modern P&S, which is a product of bigger sensor size). But what adds to that is the ability to get a lens that gathers a lot of light. That $80 lens would allow you to shoot on the street at night with just the light from street light.

As far as lenses go, I'll probably save up for this one next...

Canon 135mm f/2 "L": http://www.amazon.com/Canon-135mm-USM-Lens-Cameras/dp/B000053HC5

Its $900 but since its been widely out of stock, the price has increased dramatically. Its one of the best Portrait lenses you can get for a digital camera.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 07:23:24 PM by BlueTsunami »

Bebpo

« Reply #155 on: September 01, 2009, 02:38:19 AM »
I never knew this thread existed.

I <3 your photos BlueTsunami

Himu

« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2009, 01:37:49 PM »
Is this a good beginner camera?

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Finepix-F480-Digital-optical/dp/B000U5ZQ7C

It seems like it. I just want to capture photos of my friends and places I see when I travel so I guess it should do well for that. I ask because I don't know a thing about cameras.

I kinda wish I lived in areas that lend themselves to interesting photography like Blue, though. The place he lives at seems to be a natural place for beautiful shots.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 01:41:37 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2009, 02:01:16 PM »
That looks like it would be good, Himu. Just know that when the light becomes dimmer you'll probably have to bump the ISO on the camera without being able to rely on how fast the lens is. Unfortunately the more expensive P&S have faster lenses (I'm talking $500).

That camera is probably not good in failing light (since the lens I had used on the picture I posted recently is pretty slow) but I had to bump the ISO up on my own camera. But as far as landscape shots and shots of nice blue skies with clouds and of friends during the day, it should be fine.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2009, 02:04:46 PM »
That camera probably has the same capability my Vixia does. Same resolution.

I like the HD footage the HF100 takes, but I really want better image quality when it comes to still images. This is what my camcorder takes:

PSP

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »
Canon just released the press release for their 7D camera, Willco. Its $1700 but its records 1080p @30fps, 24fps, and 20fps. 720p@ 60fps and 24fps :lol :o . I fucking want it (it comes with a multitude of new gadgets strictly for photography too).

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2009, 02:09:20 PM »
BT, what kind of camera do you have?

Canon Rebel XT (aka Canon 350D). Its about 3 generations old (the newest Rebel is the T1i).

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2009, 02:23:50 PM »
Check out craigslist and search for any Canon Rebels. You could probably get it for very cheap (I've seen Canon 30D's going for $300-$400 and its a more robust camera, in the prosumer line).

You to Himu, if you don't mind buying second hand. What you have to look for is shutter amount (if they list it). I think the Rebel series is rated at 100,000 shutter actuations.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 02:25:48 PM by BlueTsunami »

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »
what lens do you use?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2009, 02:34:56 PM »
What would you consider a good deal from this list?

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/search/pho?query=Canon+Rebel&catAbbreviation=pho&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

That $300 Rebel XT is the camera I use, so I would try and grab that one. It doesn't have all that functions a newer body has but at $300? That's a steal.

what lens do you use?

The XT's kit lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6)
and I own a Canon 50mm f/1.4 but its currently decomishioned (accidentally tore the mount off the lens when trying to fix the autofocus).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 02:37:58 PM by BlueTsunami »

Barry Egan

« Reply #164 on: September 02, 2009, 02:56:45 PM »
cool.  I haven't busted out my camera in a while (its a rebel as well), but here's some stuff I took a couple years ago.

Himu

« Reply #165 on: September 02, 2009, 03:58:18 PM »
I'd like to place a warning before posting these shots. I'm not a photographer and I'm relatively new to composition and picture taking that's not just to shoot the shit. I borrowed my buddies digicam yesterday. I'm still getting used to some of the features, like the flash. I'm so used to cheap, disposable cams I'm having trouble when I'm supposed to flash and when i'm not supposed to flash. So some photos have more lighting than others.

Any suggestions or tips would be great!

:o :o :o

I flashed on this picture, and I think that ruined a perfectly decent shot.

This is my favorite shot in this batch.

Once again, flash ruined a perfectly decent photo.

It was hard keeping steady on the parrot so I experienced some camera shake.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:15:34 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #166 on: September 02, 2009, 04:09:35 PM »

Once again, flash ruined a perfectly decent photo.

I like the first and second shot Himu. I'm actually drawn to sort of abstract, playing with textures and pattern sort of photography and the top one exhibits this. The second one has a nice "feel" to it, definitely a dynamic feel to it.

The third picture looks like it would have been good in softer light. Also, stepping back or zooming out and placing the bike off center would bring the environment in to play a bit more (though having it smack in the center does feel right for that image).

Another tip is to play with height and angles. Try to get down low or up high when taking pictures and see the subject from different viewpoints. Some people tend to stick with pictures at eye level and the issue with this is that everyday a normal person sees things at eye level. By dropping below or above eye level, you give a different vantage point that can create interest. It helps with composition and finding an interesting angle for a subject.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:13:16 PM by BlueTsunami »

Himu

« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2009, 04:12:49 PM »
So I should just turn off flash when I'm outside, right? Does it depend on the situation?

I also took a pic of this beautiful parrot.

Thing is, since I'm a midget it's hard to keep the camera steady for a while lol I should invest in a tripod.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
So I should just turn off flash when I'm outside, right? Does it depend on the situation?

Definitely depends on the situation but no matter what, on body flash on any camera (even DSLRs) will create very harsh shadows. The possible reason for the flash going on during the day is due to the camera trying to fill in the shadows of your subject (and equalizing the overall light of the image). Just watch for shadows during the daylight and where you're shooting into.

For instance, shooting a subject under the shadow of a building with a background that's in daylight would expose for the subject but the area that's not in shadow will probably be blown out (overexposed). The flash of the camera would try and equalize this but you would get harsh, unnatural looking shadows on the subject. The best thing to do is to compose your image around this by moving the viewpoint away from the sunny area and making sure things are balanced.

Generally shooting during the day (high noon being the worse) will garner flat harsh images. Once you start shooting at the Golden hours (Sunrise / Sunset) you'll notice how your subjects end up looking more appealing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:19:07 PM by BlueTsunami »

Himu

« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »
Aight, I'll try to take some pics tonight before sunrise.

And yeah, I took those photos at noon.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2009, 04:26:46 PM »
Here's an example of an image taken at Sunrise, Himu...

Notice the shadow on the leaves and the sky in the blue sky in the background? During the day the flowers would have been exposed correctly, but the shadows would be in complete darkness and the sky just a sheen of white.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2009, 05:23:27 PM »
Also, Himu and everyone that wants to interesting places to photograph. Check out Flickr's map feature...

http://www.flickr.com/map/

You can roam your area code and look for pictures that have been taken near you (assuming someone geotaggs their pictures in your area). Its very useful. The more you zoom in too a specific area, the more relevant (as far as location) pictures will pop up.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 05:25:02 PM by BlueTsunami »

Himu

« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2009, 05:24:24 PM »
Damn, there's definitely a difference...

That camera looks awesome, btw. The camera's I'm looking at don't seem to be able to do stuff like that with the lens in them.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2009, 05:26:01 PM »
You should look at you're Craiglist too, Himu. If you're will to stretch your budget a little more, you might luck out like Mojo and find a $300 Rebel XT.

Himu

« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2009, 09:35:12 AM »
I tried to do night shots last night and they all turned out shit. I can't do anything with that camera like you guys in your night shots. :lol

It doesn't help that the weather has been absolute SHIT in Florida for the past week and a half. Nothing but clouds, rain, and poop.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:41:06 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Barry Egan

« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2009, 09:47:46 AM »
I tried to do night shots last night and they all turned out shit. I can't do anything with that camera like you guys in your night shots. :lol

It doesn't help that the weather has been absolute SHIT in Florida for the past week and a half. Nothing but clouds, rain, and poop.

takes practice man

Himu

« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »
I'm sure it does. I think I didn't have enough lighting last night. I'm heading to the lake (which located in the park!!!! :o) tonight to see what I can do.
IYKYK

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2009, 01:02:37 PM »
Dude, we were so blown away, that we're not talking about them because it'll make Himuro feel bad.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then he might hit someone and never come back!
[close]
PSP

Himu

« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »
They're fantastic business. I'm jealous.

I don't want to be Joe Rosenthal or something but I definitely want to be able to have the ability to take good photos.

Dude, we were so blown away, that we're not talking about them because it'll make Himuro feel bad.

Then he might hit someone and never come back!
[close]

You hurt me!

:-*
[close]
IYKYK

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2009, 06:40:56 PM »
I've never posted any of my photographs in a thread like this before.  Someone say at least one of them looks nice, please.  :(

That one dude in the 4th pic looks like he's humping the lamppost. Reminds me of that Donovan song... Electrical banana

They all look really good, tho.