Author Topic: The Bore Photography  (Read 107345 times)

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: Evilbore Photography
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »
The Business, where do you live, by chance?
PSP

Himu

« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2009, 06:49:03 PM »
Since my budget is tight right now I went with this for a beginners camera

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-EasyShare-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B0012845AA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252013677&sr=8-3

it's shit compared to what you guys got, but it'll serve me well
IYKYK

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2009, 06:50:09 PM »
Be careful, Business. Willco's looking to emigrate. If you tell him where you live, you might unwittingly find him hiding in your basement one day.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »
Some more shots from two hours ago

And Business, I dig your 2nd, 3rd and 4th shot.

2nd: Always was a sucker for some night lighting and city/town shots

3rd: Lovely composition there with nice lighting

4th: Once again, love shots like these. The lighting coming down from the upper right makes the buildings pop.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:35:17 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #184 on: September 04, 2009, 12:06:30 AM »
Since my budget is tight right now I went with this for a beginners camera

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-EasyShare-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B0012845AA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252013677&sr=8-3

it's shit compared to what you guys got, but it'll serve me well

Send that one back and get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-SD1200IS-Stabilized-Dark-Gray/dp/B001SER492/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252033340&sr=1-1

And thanks everyone!   :-*

:bow

Yes Himu, the specs on that Canon look way better then the Kodak.

Flickr is very useful for this. Here's are shots taken with that camera

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Canon+PowerShot+SD1200&s=int
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:09:38 AM by BlueTsunami »

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #185 on: September 04, 2009, 12:10:34 AM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2009, 03:53:27 AM »
i have a pretty awesome SLR (Canon Eos Kiss x3) , but i really haven't a clue how to use it properly yet. I kinda like this shot but my hit rate is about 0.00001% at this point :lol

vjj

Himu

« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2009, 09:37:38 PM »
More crappy photos from a photography nub!

Today's lesson in photography: iso, white levels, and exposure compensation! How to balance all three! Learning about all the different settings in the camera and experimenting to see what does what!

Lesson learned: don't use certain kinds of white balance or add too much exposure levels. It makes the sky look nothing but white. BORING!

Lesson learned: When taking photos of plant life or something, make sure something is in the background. The empty space makes this photo look BORING!

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #188 on: September 04, 2009, 09:43:10 PM »
I fucking suck, Kosma. Post!
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2009, 10:56:24 PM »
:bow Himu. Enjoy this magical hobby called photography :hyper The consideration for various aspects in photography is already apparent in your images, Himu!

And post your images, Kosma. With every shot taken, you can only get better!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:05:09 PM by BlueTsunami »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #190 on: September 04, 2009, 11:24:48 PM »
All these pictures rule. How can you think you suck?  ???
It's just pictures.
Your experience is my education. :heart
©ZH

Himu

« Reply #191 on: September 04, 2009, 11:47:33 PM »
Thanks, I need the encouragement.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=rec&w=all&q=Kodak+EasyShare&m=text

I can't wait to get my camera in the mail. :hyper
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:59:14 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2009, 11:59:43 PM »
blue, most of these shots were taken with iso 800.

What exactly does iso do? Is the higher number good or bad?
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #193 on: September 05, 2009, 12:11:38 AM »
I forgot what it physically does to the sensor (I think it users more photosites or whatever their called on the sensor itself) but it essentially becomes more sensitive to light at each level. The trade off being that noise will become more apparent once you start going higher from base ISO (which is 100).

So if I'm shooting outside, in daylight, I would set my ISO to ISO100. If I was inside a house with indoor lighting, I would adjust some settings to gather more light, one of those adjustments would be raising the ISO level of my camera (others being, dropping the shutter speed or opening the aperture of my lens even wider).

The way a camera handles ISO is very important to some people. Very high ISO on a camera that can't handle it well will produce a whole lot of noise that has to be cleaned up (3rd party apps/plugins in Photoshop) and cleaning them up is destructive to image quality (you'll lose detail but in place have a smoother less grainy image).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:15:23 AM by BlueTsunami »

Himu

« Reply #194 on: September 05, 2009, 01:15:57 AM »
How do I do that awesome thing where the foreground is sharp and the background blurry?
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #195 on: September 05, 2009, 01:32:07 AM »
Unfortuantely its hard to do with Point and Shoots but its basically a mixture of the size of the sensor (so basically the camera type, 1.6x, 1.5x, 1.3x, Full Frame and Medium Frame. 1.6x to Medium frame is in order of which creates more out of focus blur), lens aperture (so a faster lens will blur the out of focus areas more), the focal length of the lens (the longer the more burring) and the distance between your camera and the subject (closer the more blurring).

You could probably get shallow DoF (which is what its called) out of your camera but you would have to zoom it in to its max (physical max, don't allow it to zoom digitally) and get as close to the subject as possible. It won't be as pronounced though (one of the reason being that most Point and Shoots have extremely small sensors, which provide it with a lot of Depth of Field... which is why they make very good Landscape cameras).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 01:35:04 AM by BlueTsunami »

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2009, 05:58:23 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I like this shot.  I think landscape photography is a great challenge because while it's easy to take a photo of attractive landscape, to hard to make the photo itself interesting and aesthetically pleasing when shooting landscapes.

The chair makes this shot, and its position within the frame is very good I think.

Himu

« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2009, 09:44:08 AM »
Welll, you can thank Blue for the chair position. I wanted to mimic what he did with his park shot, except at day time.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2009, 09:57:37 AM »
I'm gonna go out to the village center with my cam today and see what I can do. It's very windy and maybe the see will be nice and wild. I'm not sure how to shoot with a cloudy sky, tips?

Oh man. I'm having the same problem.

Thankfully yesterday the clouds broke a bit, and I could see the blue. Still:

IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #199 on: September 05, 2009, 11:44:02 AM »
I'm gonna go out to the village center with my cam today and see what I can do. It's very windy and maybe the see will be nice and wild. I'm not sure how to shoot with a cloudy sky, tips?

If its an overcast, that's a good chance to shoot flowers and earthly things (due to the diffused lights). If its more cloudy as in the sun is still peeking through, then that could be good for landscape shots with a nice skyline.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #200 on: September 05, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
Holy shat :bow Those are fantastic, Kosma! I'm really like the 2nd, 5th and 6th shots.

Himu

« Reply #201 on: September 05, 2009, 02:01:09 PM »
I LOVE those shots Kosma.

This one is fantastic. What makes this shot for me is entrance to the beach. It makes it feel like an open invitation to take your shoes off and run along the coast.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »
Thanks man  :) Whats up with shots 3 and 4 though? They look hazy. I adjusted the brightness and some other light option hmmm.

Try bumping up contrast (or Levels) in photoshop. They definitely lack the punch some higher contrast would give to the.

Himu

« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2009, 08:41:50 PM »
:bow kosma :bow2
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #204 on: September 06, 2009, 12:15:23 PM »
i have a pretty awesome SLR (Canon Eos Kiss x3) , but i really haven't a clue how to use it properly yet. I kinda like this shot but my hit rate is about 0.00001% at this point :lol

(Image removed from quote.)

Noice. Your food photos always make me hungry.

Himu

« Reply #205 on: September 07, 2009, 12:10:14 AM »
God, this camera cannot take night photos AT ALL. :lol

I actually like this one. The light exposure at makes some of the plant life look like a painting.

:-X :-X  :-X

:-X :-X :-X

Thankfully I got some decent shots taken during day time that don't make me want to kill myself:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:14:31 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2009, 03:45:45 PM »
Got my Kodak Easyshare M1033 today. Been taking some random shots and I can't be the only one who thinks these are grainy. What am I doing wrong?

IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2009, 03:51:37 PM »
The only reason it would be grainy is due to the ISO level. The lighting seems kind of flat so it could be doing something funky in that regard. I notice it more in the interior shots (where lighting would be worse).

Himu

« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2009, 03:52:42 PM »
I turned the light on and it's still grainy. Messing with the ISO but it's set to Auto. ISO speed goes up to 3200.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2009, 04:02:45 PM »
I am commemorating 9/9/99 with this photo test:

Doesn't seem as grainy as the others.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #210 on: September 09, 2009, 04:07:50 PM »
Auto ISO sounds like the culprit. I was surprised you were taking shots like these in that lighting though but now you're seeing the tradeoff of bumping up ISO (soft, grainy images)

Doesn't seem as grainy as the others.

There looks to be lighting being directed at the controller, the auto ISO is probably compensating for it by dropping the ISO level.

Himu

« Reply #211 on: September 09, 2009, 04:10:18 PM »
Is ISO speed 100 a good ISO for most pics?
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #212 on: September 09, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »
Yep but the issue with that is, interior shots will probably have too slow a shutter speed to handhold (it'll be blurry). But generally, in moderate daylight, ISO 100 should be fine.

With that said, Auto ISO is cool, you just have to be aware that it may want to bump the ISO so a level where your images will look smeared and blotchy (which is what would happen with my DSLR).

I would really road test your camera in good daylight. The interior shots you've posted so far is pretty tough on a DSLR with similar lens speed to a P&S, let alone a P&S.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 04:18:26 PM by BlueTsunami »

Himu

« Reply #213 on: September 09, 2009, 04:18:11 PM »
Perfecto

IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #214 on: September 09, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »
Bam! Thats much better (IQ wise)

Himu

« Reply #215 on: September 09, 2009, 04:19:32 PM »
Yeah, I'm about to take it on the road for a test run, I've been messing with the settings is all, and the grain just drove me nuts.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #216 on: September 09, 2009, 04:20:42 PM »
Also notice how the book is sharp while my laptop and blinds are blurry.

Omg :hyper Finally! It's not aperture but it's good enough for me!
IYKYK

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #217 on: September 10, 2009, 04:14:07 AM »
That book shot is nice Himu.  A wider aperture (like say f2.8 ) will give a narrower depth of field (so more blur in the background and foreground).  When you lower the ISO it will also mean the apeture has to open wider to gather more light, so again you'll get a narrower DOF and more blurring.

If can be a little hard with point and shoots to make them do what you want unless you have a full manual, but generally you can force most to choose a wider aperture by upping the shutter speed and/or lowering the ISO, and as I think BT said a while back, zooming in will also reduce the DOF.  Only thing with a wider aperture is you'll get less clarity in the pic overall because it's outside the lens's ideal range (the sharpest pics on most lenses are produced around maybe f7 to f11).  If you compare two identical landscape pictures for example, taken with different exposures (say f2.8 vs f11), you'll probably see quite a difference in sharpness.

Thanks man  :) Whats up with shots 3 and 4 though? They look hazy. I adjusted the brightness and some other light option hmmm.

I'm guessing they washed out because you were shooting into the light.  I don't really tweak photos so I'm not very knowledgeable on that side but I think a simple level adjustment like BT said would help at the expense of stretching the histogram beyond what was captured.

I like the last couple of pics in particular, pretty awesome.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #218 on: September 12, 2009, 01:03:28 AM »
50 Shot image stitched together in Photoshop

Higher Resolution: http://i28.tinypic.com/al2qkl.jpg

Himu

« Reply #219 on: September 12, 2009, 01:25:02 AM »
That is amazing. 50 shots.

Wow.

HOW DOES THAT EVEN WORK. How do you take 50 shots so accurately they'll fit together like that?
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #220 on: September 12, 2009, 01:29:35 AM »
I'm still trying to wrap my head around efficient ways of doing it but I essentially pick a starting point (lower left corner) and work to the Right until I hit the farside, up one frame, then to the left, up one frame, to the Right etc until I hit the top right corner.

I used Photoshop to merge everything together (it can be done by hand but I'm sure its torture).

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #221 on: September 12, 2009, 01:30:34 AM »
Or you could just get a better camera! :P
PSP

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #222 on: September 12, 2009, 01:40:48 AM »
:lol  :D

The effect I'm going for in the image is actually seen in Medium Format cameras (which are really expensive). With those cameras you get a wider Field of View than you would with my 50mm on my Rebel XT.

Its way more effective when you use a longer lens (85mm+) as far as the whole blurry Depth of Field look.

Here's an example of the technique being used in a crazy awesome way

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgf323/3844685062/sizes/l/

As far as the resolution in that the picture could probably be printed out the size of a billboard.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 01:43:22 AM by BlueTsunami »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #223 on: September 12, 2009, 03:09:35 AM »
Another one using the same Brenizer Method (but with some post processing)

Higher Res (Seems like Tinypic doesn't want to accept the full res file :lol ): http://i28.tinypic.com/2a6v094.jpg

I used Kolor AutoPano. Absolutely fantastic program. There's still weird hiccups here and there but it smooths out seams wonderfully.

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #224 on: September 14, 2009, 06:03:15 AM »
Here are some I took that I think are post worthy:

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #225 on: September 14, 2009, 06:20:05 AM »
I dig the gun perspective and the hallway. The terrain over there in general must be very interesting, see as how there must be lots of structures in ruin.

Himu

« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2009, 12:42:25 AM »
YES.

This camera can do decent night shots!  :o

IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #227 on: September 29, 2009, 10:58:34 PM »
KABLAM!

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #228 on: September 29, 2009, 11:44:46 PM »
Kick-ass subjects for B&W!  That first one especially.

Himu

« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2009, 12:15:19 AM »
Hey blue, gimme tips on taking multi-frame shots bro! I'm learning how to do that!
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2009, 12:32:14 AM »
I'm about to crash but tomorrow I'll edit one of the pictures above and show you how I go about taking each frame (I'll even post the frame without the crop, to show you how the rough stitch looks). For now though, use this program Hugin. Its a free open source Panoramic stitching program. It stitches, normalizes each image and blends the seams. Basically much much! better than Photoshop CS3/4 Photomerge.

Kick-ass subjects for B&W!  That first one especially.

Thanks, Bildi! Yeah, I pretty much have been all B&W for most of my images lately but I always default to it on an overcast day. I love my Niko Pro Silver Effex plugin for Photoshop :heart (for converting images to Black and White).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:34:25 AM by BlueTsunami »

Himu

« Reply #231 on: September 30, 2009, 12:38:17 AM »
I LOVE the first cemetary shot.

You use a plug in for b/w? I just go to image -> black and white.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #232 on: September 30, 2009, 12:46:42 AM »
Yeah, its a $200 piece of software (I believe), downloaded it along with a cracked CS3 a while ago. It gives you a multitude of options when it comes to conversion. Brightness, Contrast and an option to give the image a harsh detailed look or soft dreamy (the name escapes me).

There's also the ability to apply filters (filters in the sense that you can darken or brighten certain spectrum of light in the image so blues, greens, reds or yellows come out). That comes in handy for thing like my first cemetery shot where I used this to my advantage by darkening the grass and bringing out the headstones.

You can also simulate Film, add grain without the film simulation, Split Tone (add a color to Highlights and/or Shadows) and add vignetting (where the outside of the frame is darkened or you can lighten it, which happens in real life with various lenses).

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #233 on: September 30, 2009, 12:58:24 AM »
Do you recall if you used a red or orange filter on the first shot?  Or another colour?

It came out really nice and contrasty.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #234 on: September 30, 2009, 09:53:14 AM »
Do you recall if you used a red or orange filter on the first shot?  Or another colour?

It came out really nice and contrasty.

I don't remember exactly. I believe it was near the blue spectrum but not all the way. Darkened the grass but not so much that it was completely black (which Blue usually does).

And Himu, here's an example of how I shoot a normal multi layered Panoramic...

The numbers 1 through 12 represent a single frame from my camera (its not exact since that image is a 27 frame image but this is just for visual sake).

The line going through the image is the path I took when taking each frame (by swiveling my head, from one side to another and down or up when I need to shoot another level).

That red filled in area is where the two frames meet and overlap (showing you how much I overlap two frames). I just filled in that one spot but every frame needs to overlap, that means the frames to the right and left of eachother also above and below.

I then taken all those files, throw them into a stitching program (like Hugin) and let it do its thang. By overlapping your frames, it allows the program to better assess where that frame belongs and allows it to better blend each seam.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:55:58 AM by BlueTsunami »

Bebpo

« Reply #235 on: October 06, 2009, 12:25:09 PM »
Hey, I want to get a flash from my Nikon D90 and start learning flash photography.  Since I don't like the default flash on the camera I don't do many night shots and most come out badly.  So I want to expand my range with a legitimate flash.  What flash do you recommend and are there any good books/guides on learning flash photography?  The SB-600 that's $220 at Amazon is around the price range I want to spend.

Himu

« Reply #236 on: October 06, 2009, 09:42:05 PM »
I took another trip to the park. This time with my new point and shoot.

I really like the bench shot mostly because of the lighting, but I wanted to it at a better angle. However, as you can see, there's water right behind it and I didn't feel like getting wet today. Plus, there's alligators nearby.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #237 on: October 06, 2009, 10:13:47 PM »
Blue I don't think I can do that yet but I'll try :lol
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #238 on: October 09, 2009, 05:01:52 PM »
Got my first flash today :D  Trying to learn flash photography. 

Toilet with normal flash

Toilet with bounce flash

Random pic.  I like all the white.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #239 on: October 09, 2009, 05:04:02 PM »
Nice, Bebpo. I'm definitely not a flash photographer but from all I've read, bouncing the light from the flash in small rooms is the way to go. You just have to watch out for colored walls (I believe it'll cast the color of the wall on to the person or surroundings).

if you can't bounce (most likely scenarios being in a large room or outside), taking the flash off the body and directing it at an angle is better than straight on. They also make light diffusers for off body flash equipment like you have which will soften the light.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 05:05:37 PM by BlueTsunami »