Author Topic: PS3 GET!! Thread of impression awesomeness.  (Read 7480 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
PS3 GET!! Thread of impression awesomeness.
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:55:09 AM »

WATCH THIS SPACE

1st impression: BOX IS HEAVY HOLY CRAP

2nd impression: Okay, so yeah, this system is definitely Xbox 1 heavy and big/bulky. Maybe even bulkier-looking.  No power brick though, which is nice.

In the 20gb box, you get one controller, USB cable (for the controller; same type as the PSP USB cable), A/V cable (same as PS1 and PS2, so no need to buy new ones!), and an ethernet cable.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get sound if I hook the system up to my PC monitor. I got an HDMI to DVI cable, but I see no way to get sound!
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: PS3 GET!! Thread of impression awesomeness.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 12:55:36 AM »
Okay, so far, I've done all the setting up and have tried Ridge Racer 7.  Here's the deal:

-Haven't hooked it up to a monitor yet; currently playing on my 480p Sony Wega TV.

-The system interface is just like the PSP, only with more options.

-You don't need to buy the PS1/PS2 memory card adaptor unless you want to transfer your data from existing cards over.  You can create virtual memory cards for BOTH PS1 and PS2 on the hard drive.  I have a PS2 Max Drive device, which uses USB flash drives for memory storage, so I should be able to transfer all my game saves over without having to buy it.  I'm going to likely just keep playing PS2 stuff on PS2 though, although PSX games on the PS3 will be nice.

-Tried a PS2 game (Melty Blood), and the system automatically changed the resolution to normal, not the default 480p.  I want to see what happens when I hook it up to a monitor...

-Got online and accessed the Playstation Store, BUT...they only take JCB, Visa, and Mastercard.  I have AMEX, so right now I'm S.O.L. if I want to buy anything.  I assume point cards will be sold in stores like the XBox 360 has, though.  Also the store is only for Japan, since it's not out elsewhere yet.  I wouldn't be surprised if I can switch to the U.S. store once the PS3 is released in the States next week.

-Ridge Racer 7 = Ridge Racer 6.5.  It's only got six new tracks, the rest are from Ridge Racer 6 and look basically the same.  There's a few small new effects here and there, and I think the color looks richer, but that's really about it.  Probably going to be disappointing for a lot of people who already played the crap out of RR6. 

-HOWEVER...the new tracks are more detailed and look a bit better than the RR6 tracks do.

-The sense of speed seems faster, especially when using nitrous.  There's a new effect that looks really cool.'

-New to the game is slipstreaming.

-The music is all brand new and is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME so far.  I'm loving it far more than RR6's.

-You can install RR6 partially on the hard drive.  Load time without installation is around 13 seconds.  Once installed, it's about 4-7 seconds.  Seems to depend on the mode.

-The game runs entirely in English, since my system settings are English.  (I assume Genji and Resistance will be the same.)

-The main Grand Prix mode is beefier than RR6's.  You can now customize cars and represent various companies.

-Haven't tried it yet, but I read online play is much better and doesn't have the issues RR6 did, plus allows for more players.

Next up is Resistance...
ど助平

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 01:15:17 AM »
I thought you live in Windsor??

How'd you get one?
HOT

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 01:22:04 AM »
Nice, thanks for these impressions.

I'll still get RR7 even if the update is modest, as I love the series too much. :)

Concerning sound and DVI... I suppose that you'd have to use an A/V cable in the regular A/V output in combination with the HDMI to DVI adapter, and use the red/white cables for stereo sound?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 01:25:01 AM »
Mondain, I can't get the HDMI/DVI cable to work.  I get no image on the monitor.

I thought you live in Windsor??

How'd you get one?

Windsor?  WTF?  I'm from the Atlanta, GA originally, and I've been living in Japan since summer 2005.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 04:04:34 AM »
More stuff:

-Youtube works quite well on the browser.  It's nice to be able to watch all those videos on TV without having to hook up a PC:

-Resistance is really good.  It's got a very different style of visuals compared to Gears Of War, the game that's not a FPS game and doesn't play the same, but will inevitably be compared to it anyway.  I think Gears is far more detailed, but Resistance has a lot more open and larger environments, is a HELL of a lot more colorful,  and at times a lot more going on, with more allies and enemies on screen.  It also feels less linear than Gears and has more storyline, with some interesting weapons you can pick up.  It's probably going to be the launch game to get.  Tried multiplayer briefly in a 32-man game; no lag and no framerate drops, but everyone being in Japan on high-speed connections is probably why.

-Sega Golf Club feels SOOOO dated.  I want to know when this game came out in arcades; it looks OLD.

Next up is Genji, which looks like it's the most impressive title on PS3 visually, but otherwise "meh."   :lol
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 04:12:19 AM by lyte edge »
ど助平

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 04:15:16 AM »
Lol, I don't get the "Gears Of War barely has any color!" comment.

But good impressions and nice avatar!

How'd you get a ps3 so early.   :o

You should try installing yellow dog linux, if they released the ps3 version.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 04:21:55 AM by Viz »
萌え~

Tigerriot

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 10:24:18 AM »
God, I sure hope you work for a gaming media outlet or something, because I can't imagine spending all that money for some very "meh" PS3 titles. 

Even resistance looks a little meh to me so far.  I'm interested in hearing the final reviews though.

Enjoy your new toy though. 

morphix

• Let's make a deal
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 10:25:22 AM »
I want mine, is it Friday yet?
BUN

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 12:33:25 PM »
Im going to wait a year. The launch library for PS3 is honestly as weak as the Wii and im not getting a Wii either. Half those games would be considered b-list in the middle of a consoles lifespan.

I just cant get excited for PS3's tech.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 12:35:26 PM »
same. I want at least ONE manufacturing rev on the PS3 before I buy it. I consider myself EXCRUCIATINGLY lucky that my 360 has exploded yet.

ironically, I woulda bought a Wii if there wasn't a superior version of Zelda coming to the Gamecube as well. Of course, it woulda collected dust AFTER Zelda until Mario Galaxy in early 2008.

At least the PS3 has VF5.
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 12:36:08 PM »
Im not saying 360 is peaches n cream either. We got what, 2 good games for the 360 this holiday season? Boo-urns.
o_0

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 12:37:13 PM »
Except, by all indications - Gears of Wars of fantastic.  And there's Lost Planet coming.  I want a 360 :(
PSP

MrAngryFace

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 12:38:15 PM »
Except, thats one game in one genre during a fucking holiday season. I didnt buy a 360 to live like a Nintendo fan.

Also, Willco, check out the mod forum :p
o_0

morphix

• Let's make a deal
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 12:45:39 PM »
as if you guys could get a PS3 anyway :P
BUN

MrAngryFace

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 12:47:40 PM »
Well I have the money, I just dont wanna camp for a pre-order or a unit.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 12:49:02 PM »
I've passed up three opportunities to get guaranteed launch day PS3s, so I'd say yeah, I'd have no problem getting one. Seriously, what would I play on it?
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 12:50:31 PM »
Another ridge racer. Seriously, if these weren't launching WITH the PS3 they'd get passed over so fast haha. I mean how did Genji suddenly become popular, the first game was meh.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 12:51:58 PM »
bububububu THERE'S TWO WORLD WAR 2 SHOOTERS
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 12:52:32 PM »
lol. Whatever, i'll wait a year. PS2 and DS are OMG right now.
o_0

morphix

• Let's make a deal
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2006, 12:55:39 PM »
Seriously I believe you, no fooling.

I wouldn't want to camp out for the system, but why turn down easy ebay money if you could have got 3 of them without a problem?
BUN

MrAngryFace

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »
Cause I already have a job that earns me enough money.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2006, 12:57:42 PM »
because I hate mailing shit and the whole I WANT YOU TO SEND IT NOW OR U BAD SELLER drama. I'm fuckin' lazy, and I sure as fuck don't need the money.
duc

morphix

• Let's make a deal
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2006, 12:58:21 PM »
sounds good, no PS3 for you then :(
BUN

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2006, 01:00:07 PM »
I couldn't afford a PS3, that's for sure!
PSP

APF

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2006, 02:51:09 PM »
None of the launches for next-gen machines have really excited me, especially with such strong PS2 and portable releases coming out now; I can basically buy every game I'd want for the price of a PS3 with the one game I'd probably buy.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2006, 06:36:15 PM »
Seriously, there's a new gen going on?  I didn't notice. 

Well, that's not true.  I've waited on the 360 and will probably get one after I get this job situation sorted out.  I'm glad I waited, too, because now there are several actual quality titles that I want that I can pick up with the system(Oblivion, Gears of War, Dead Rising) where if I'd gotten it during launch I would have been bitching about having to play Perfect Dark.  I see myself getting a PS3 in about a year/when the price drops, as well.
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2006, 07:57:28 AM »
Viz: I live in Japan.  I didn't get it early...it came out here on saturday.  :)  I love Kung Pow too. 

God, I sure hope you work for a gaming media outlet or something, because I can't imagine spending all that money for some very "meh" PS3 titles. 

Even resistance looks a little meh to me so far.  I'm interested in hearing the final reviews though.

Enjoy your new toy though. 

Nope, but I didn't pay out of my own pocket, except for Resistance.  Got 65000 yen from my parents as an early Hanukah present.  I wouldn't be spending all that cash on a PS3 right now if it wasn't for that since my credit card bill was a bit high this month.

Another ridge racer. Seriously, if these weren't launching WITH the PS3 they'd get passed over so fast haha.

Nah.  You can't say that when there's been what, 11 Ridge Racer games released now?

bububububu THERE'S TWO WORLD WAR 2 SHOOTERS

Resistance isn't a WWII shooter.  :)  In Resistance's universe, WWII never even happened.  The game is set in 1950.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 09:35:09 AM by lyte edge »
ど助平

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2006, 01:29:48 PM »
I thought VF5 was a launch title? That's really the ONLY PS3 title I'm interested in until FF13 (the RPG one) hits.
duc

Himu

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2006, 01:38:50 PM »
Nice impressions. The youtube thing is cool.
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2006, 01:40:26 PM »
I have a computer for youtube wtf!
o_0

Himu

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2006, 01:48:02 PM »
Ya. Ps3 looks more media center what is it than being about games
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2006, 02:31:10 PM »
Just like my 360!
o_0

Himu

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2006, 02:35:36 PM »
Dunno about that. 360 has a lot of great looking games coming out for it soon.
IYKYK

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2006, 02:55:07 PM »
lyte: ive just read on avsforum that you need to connect both the HDMI/DVI and standard analog video cables to a monitor and select the HDMI out option from the PS3 config menu for it to work

or i guess that you just need to select HDMI out with analog first to actually see a feed, and then you can use digital cables and see something on a monitor or TV

MrAngryFace

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2006, 03:21:10 PM »
Great looking maybe, but I never feel compelled to play them.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2006, 03:23:25 PM »
Yeah, all I've played seriously on the 360 have been cheap ports of Koei beat-em-ups. Viva Pinata might change that, though, but for now, the 360 is still a promise and not a reality.
duc

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2006, 06:45:44 PM »
I thought VF5 was a launch title? That's really the ONLY PS3 title I'm interested in until FF13 (the RPG one) hits.

Nope, it doesn't come out until March in Japan.  That's definitely the first "big" title for me.  I'm planning to import Untold Legends (I enjoy these kind of games; even liked both PSP versions!  :o), and then after that it's Motorstorm and Armored Core 4 in December.  No idea what the hell else is coming out before March.

I have a computer for youtube wtf!

I just thought it was cool that the PS3 browser can access Youtube.  My laptop has a TV out, too, but it's a hell of a lot easier to access netstuff I might want to view on a larger TV or monitor via the PS3.  It will be nice for people who have their PCs elsewhere and not in their living rooms, too.

Ya. Ps3 looks more media center what is it than being about games

Nice impressions. The youtube thing is cool.

???

Dunno about that. 360 has a lot of great looking games coming out for it soon.

So does the PS3.  ;P  I'm not worried about game selection for the 360 or PS3.  It's the Wii that I'm concerned about...I don't want another "Nintendo machine" that's going to be gathering dust inbetween their releases.  I was really gung-ho over the Game Cube for the first two years or so, and then it slowly became the N64 all over again.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 06:50:58 PM by lyte edge »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2006, 06:48:19 PM »
lyte: ive just read on avsforum that you need to connect both the HDMI/DVI and standard analog video cables to a monitor and select the HDMI out option from the PS3 config menu for it to work

or i guess that you just need to select HDMI out with analog first to actually see a feed, and then you can use digital cables and see something on a monitor or TV

Okay, if I'm reading this right, I did just that, but using a PS2 D-Terminal (component) cable on my TV instead of the standard analog cables, and also had the HDMI cable connected, and got no picture.  Do the guys on that forum say that it HAS to be the analog cable used?  Is it the D-Terminal cable that's somehow causing a conflict?  I'll certainly try using the analog cable when I get home, but somehow I doubt it will change anything.
ど助平

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2006, 07:04:16 PM »
So can I basically forget about hooking my PS3 up to my DVI monitor or what?  The video cable talk confuses me.  Yay next gen.
serge

cubicle47b

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2006, 07:08:35 PM »
So can I basically forget about hooking my PS3 up to my DVI monitor or what?  The video cable talk confuses me.  Yay next gen.

What they're saying is HDMI isn't on by default.  You have to turn it on from the configuration menu.

Just hook it up to your TV with normal a/v cables, turn on the HDMI output, and then hook it up to your monitor with a HDMI to DVI cable.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2006, 07:16:04 PM »
-Genji: Graphics- WOW.  People weren't kidding about this possibly being the showcase game out of the launch titles.  It looks amazing. 

Game play- ...And this is why the game's been getting low scores.  At its core, the game honestly isn't that bad.  My problems with it at the moment are its camera system: there ISN'T ONE.  You are forced to play on preset 3D camera angles, Onimusha 3-style.  The problem with this is that some of the angles they use really aren't that great, but at least there is a minimap on screen that you can use to navigate everything easily.  Basically all the game seems to be is an Onimusha clone without any kind of puzzles, just action.  There's a lot of story, and it feels like a lot of effort was put into it, so in some ways, I kind of feel like it might be getting just a tad bit underrated, but then I look at the camera and slightly loose-feeling game play and see why. 

I think the biggest blow against Genji is Capcom.  Resident Evil 4 and Shin Onimusha evolved by games; Genji feels like it's an old, dated game with brand new graphics.  I also like that the characters feel and move very differently from each other so far. 

Also what sucks and yet rocks, in a cheesy way, is the dialogue.  The game doesn't let you change the text to English, but you can change the voice, so I'm playing it with the English dub, which sounds so cheesy.  The actors do a much better job than the Capcom games, but it's their overly Asian-sounding or British accents that make me crack up.  :)

It seems to be related to what kind of monitor you own.  If your monitor is DVI, you're fine, don't worry about it.  My monitor has an HDMI port, so I got a DVI-to-HDMI cable, and it seems to be incompatible with the PS3.

What they're saying is HDMI isn't on by default.  You have to turn it on from the configuration menu.

Just hook it up to your TV with normal a/v cables, turn on the HDMI output, and then hook it up to your monitor with a HDMI to DVI cable.

Right, again, D-terminal cable in place of a/v cable aside, I did exactly that.  When I select HDMI input, the PC monitor turns on, but there's no image on the screen.  I will try both using a/v cables and turning it off after selecting HDMI and unhooking the A/V cable and see what happens.

But I get the feeling I'm stuck playing on my little 15 inch Wega for now.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2006, 07:18:37 PM »
Various pics taken by DCharlie over at GAF:

Ridge Racer 7

Genji

Resistance

ど助平

cubicle47b

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2006, 07:25:38 PM »
You mean your monitor has a DVI port (since the PS3 has HDMI)?

I remember having trouble with the DVI cables that came with my monitor.  They were single link instead of dual link which was required because my monitor is 1920x1200.  This might be the problem you're having too, I don't know.  Look at the cable.  If it is 2 sets of 3x3 rows then it's a single link and might not be what you need.  If it's an 8x3 row then I have no idea.

edit: RR7 looks really nice.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 07:28:25 PM by cubicle47b »

cubicle47b

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2006, 07:31:22 PM »
Do I need Dual-Link or Single-Link?
This depends on your equipment. Check with your equipment documentation. If you are not sure which you need then purchase the Dual-Link cables. Dual-Link cables are backwards compatible with Single-Link so they will work with both connection types.

Hope this site helps.  http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI_Tutorial.htm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2006, 11:31:45 PM »
Okay, I got some stuff to try when I get home.  Thanks for the help.  :)

Now, I believe this is the monitor that I have.

http://buffalo.jp/products/catalog/item/f/ftd-g923adsr/

This is the DVI-D input it has.

Is it incompatible?
ど助平

cubicle47b

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2006, 01:51:25 AM »
Quote from: the info page for your monitor
DVI-D24

Looks like it requires a dual-link DVI cable since that's 8 rows of 3 pins.  I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you have the right cable and both the HDMI port on the PS3 and the DVI port on your monitor are working.

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2006, 05:25:39 AM »
Why the fuck did you buy Genji and Sega's shitty golf game?

Does it do 1440x900?

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2006, 05:27:01 AM »
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8878036&&#post8878036

Please bear in mind that an HDMI to DVI cable will only work on HDCP-equipped monitors. Inexplicably, Sony has enabled HDCP even for gameplay, not just BD viewing.

looks like you're screwed

cubicle47b

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2006, 09:22:37 AM »
Inexplicably, Sony has enabled HDCP even for gameplay, not just BD viewing.

Oh wow, that's just fucking wrong.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2006, 07:55:18 AM »

looks like you're screwed

Yup.  It appears so.  Not only that, but yesterday I went to one of the big electronics stores here and asked the clerk if ANY of the PC monitors they sold had HDCP.  He told me flat out that all of them were "too old" to have that kind of support.  :/  I see that Dell sells a relatively cheap 20 inch monitor that goes up to 720p with HDCP, and they have a Japanese website, so I'm thinking about selling off the monitor I just got and getting one of those later on if they have the same model cheap enough here too.
ど助平

morphix

• Let's make a deal
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2006, 01:18:14 PM »
sweet pics, two more days :D

Genji looks good, if it plays like the 1st one I'll be happy  :P

BUN

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2006, 01:51:07 PM »
Inexplicably, Sony has enabled HDCP even for gameplay, not just BD viewing.

:rofl
萌え~

Himu

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2006, 01:53:10 PM »

???

Because I'm more interested in the games than the media doesn't mean I can't think the youtube thing is cool duders.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2006, 03:22:03 AM »
sweet pics, two more days :D

Genji looks good, if it plays like the 1st one I'll be happy  :P

I never played the original, but I hear it doesn't.  :/  Genji is very, very mediocre.  It's just that it looks really nice.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2006, 07:01:49 AM »
So the U.S. PS3 Store is now accessable, and they have demos of NBA Live 2007, F1, and best of all...

MOTORSTORM HOLY SHIT MOTORSTORM HOLY SHIT MOTORSTORM HOLY SHIT

Motorstorm = Best game on the PS3, bar none!  The demo is amazing; it controls well on default (using the six axis tilt control was WAAAAY to difficult), looks fucking insanely good, and the A.I. puts up a great race!  It's also fun to crash or blow up, since it goes into a slow-mo camera showing the chaos up close.  AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.  No online or not, I am buying the Japanese version in a few weeks.  This is going to be the GOTY for the PS3's short stint in 2006.

Pics from DCharlie:

On GAF, Everybody's enjoying the girl rider's ass, too.   :lol:

Pics of F1.  Haven't tried this yet; dunno if I care:

ど助平

futami

• my jeans cost as much as a PS3
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2006, 09:35:08 PM »
f1 looks fucking amazing.