Author Topic: Help me, gurus! (X360 VGA cable repost from GAF)  (Read 1180 times)

Ecrofirt

• Heavy Metal Jesus
Help me, gurus! (X360 VGA cable repost from GAF)
« on: August 04, 2006, 01:20:22 PM »
I'm posting this here as well since I need any help quickly, and I know GAF has some posters here banned.

OK, so I picked up a 360 VGA cable several weeks ago, and I've had a hell of a time sinse. I still haven't even used the damn thing!

Here's the problem, that I didn't realize before buying the cable:
The 360 cable has a Male VGA port, and my monitor does not accept a second input. My attached monitor cable has a Male VGA port.

If at all possible, I'd like to avoid getting a VGA gender changer, as it's going to force me to constantly plug and unplug my monitor from my video card. This is not a very good solution!

I'd prefer to switch back and forth between my PC and my 360 without any hassle, if at all possible.

I was looking into getting a VGA switch, but the sales associate at my local store steered me away from it. They have a Tripp Lite VGA switchbox and a Startech switchbox, and here's the thing with them:
The Tripp Lite box is here - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B81M/sr=8-1/qid=1154710960/ref=sr_1_1/102-3336375-1237719?ie=UTF8
Its description (both on Amazon and at the local shop) says it supports VGA/SVGA. My monitor runs at 1280x960 which is XGA, and I'd imagine the 360 fits into XGA as well. We couldn't find any more information about it, and he was afraid I might run into ghosting problems or other image quality reduction.
The Startech one doesn't mention anything other than VGA, so he was even more unsure of it.

He was leaning me toward getting a KVM of some sort (as I'd prefer not to use a gender changer. That'll be a hassle!), but I have my own questions about that.
1) I'll probably also need a KVM that doesn't have cables attached, or I'll still need a gender changer so I can plug in my 360. I'll be making a Frankenswitch at this point. Are there any KVMs that don't have cables attached, or perhaps have 1 male/1 female cable attached?
2) How cheaply can I get said KVM?

As you can see, I'm at a bit of a dilemma here. I've been looknig around for a week, and the game comes out soon, so I'm hitting a wall. The sales associate is happy to order anything he doesn't have in stock for me, so it's not like he's steering me toward the KVM for no reason at all. He's of the opinion that a VGA switch would be the easiest solution, but he's worried about my IQ if I use one.

I know there are guys here who use the VGA cable, so any help you can provide is gonig to be fantastic.
8=D