Author Topic: PS2 games on PS3: Shortened load times!  (Read 1717 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
PS2 games on PS3: Shortened load times!
« on: November 14, 2006, 11:31:36 AM »
Haven't read anything about this yet, nor have I noticed this on all the games, so here goes:

I picked up the Japanese Soul Calibur III this evening (it runs fully in English, too!), and noticed that the load times seemed to be quicker.  I couldn't even get a character to say his/her taunt on the match-up screen, as the game would go right into the battle before they could speak, making load times around 1-3 seconds total.

Then it hit me to try the notoriously long-load time title, Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum.  Amazingly enough, the load times DO get shortened!  Instead of taking between 13-19 seconds to load up a match, the game only takes about 4-6 seconds to load up a stage now, and 1-2 seconds to load up the next set of opponents on the same stage in arcade mode.  This is awesome.  :D

EDIT: Some other games I've noticed a difference on, although nothing as big as SCIII and NGBC, are VF4 Evolution (2-4 seconds), Rumble Roses (loads shortened only a little bit), The Rumblefish, and KOF Maximum Impact 2 (same as RR).

Someone on GAF said he saw a Gizmodo video of a PS3 running Final Fantasy XII, with the load times seeminly dramatically reduced.  I can't confirm this, nor can I with any other RPGs, sorry. 

Also I notce that all the PS2 games I've run have played in 480p, whether they support that option or not.  Makes some games look a lot sharper and more vibrant, particularly the 2D games.
ど助平

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Re: PS2 games on PS3: Shortened load times!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 11:36:19 AM »
I dunno I never really noticed the load times in ps2 games anyway.
o_0

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 12:12:04 PM »
all PS2 games in 480p... woah cool that's nice to know!

i wonder is the PS3 slightly noisier when playing PS2 games than it is with Blu-Ray PS3 games? the specs tell it reads DVDs at 8x... PS2 read DVD discs at 4x IIRC

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 06:54:06 PM »
Lyte,

How does SF3 look? :D

Also, what kind of TV do you have?
HOT

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 02:22:21 PM »
Also I notce that all the PS2 games I've run have played in 480p, whether they support that option or not.  Makes some games look a lot sharper and more vibrant, particularly the 2D games.

well concerning that comment, I've chatted with an (extremely trustworthy) OAer who scored a Japanese PS3 on AIM last night, and he told me that PS2 and PS1 games have no such graphical enhancements at all...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 10:27:53 PM »
Lyte,

How does SF3 look? :D

Don't know...I only brought the U.S. SFAC with me.  I might go buy SF3 3s if it's cheap enough now, but I saw it still going for 3000 yen the last time I was looking at PS2 fighters.

Also, what kind of TV do you have?

15 inch Sony Wega with 480p support.  Sucks, because I have a nice new 19 inch Buffalo monitor sitting right next to it that isn't compatible.   :'(  I'm strongly considering selling both the TV (it still sells for 50,000 yen NEW  :o) and the monitor off and then getting a 17-19 inch Sony Bravia instead. 

well concerning that comment, I've chatted with an (extremely trustworthy) OAer who scored a Japanese PS3 on AIM last night, and he told me that PS2 and PS1 games have no such graphical enhancements at all...

I have a Sony Wega TV and am going through D-Terminal cables for 525p (480p).  This TV always displays the resolution of whatever is running when it starts up.  When the PS3 starts, it says "Component 525p" at the top.  When it loads up a PS3 game, it switches resolutions, but then goes back and says "Component 525p" again.  Maybe it has to do with what kind of cables and what settings you are using; I don't know.
ど助平