Author Topic: Your weekly artist chart - 6/22/2008  (Read 663 times)

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
Your weekly artist chart - 6/22/2008
« on: June 26, 2008, 12:21:00 AM »
Post those bitches up and narrate;

Notable:

- Beehatch is decent but pretty mediocre for Spybey. He got tired over the years. The other upcoming subC studios releases : the new Kone album and the new Phil Western sound brill and I fucking cant wait for them.

- Tones On Tail - I suddenly got in this faggy mood to listen to the classics. I found that on this version of the EP comp there is a live version of heartbreak hotel that has a interview after it where DAsh talks about BooHouse ;) and its rather funny.

- Kone <3<3<3

- Plaid - I got that olde Trainer double LP last week finally and just had to hear a few tracks from it again. Its a lovely DLP/comp.

Robo

Re: Your weekly artist chart - 6/22/2008
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 01:08:14 AM »

Played a bit of Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards, played Chelsea Girl, played the new Coldplay joint, and the rest are just random.  I throw something on to fall asleep to some nights, but otherwise I don't listen to music that often on my PC.  Or I haven't been lately, anyway.
obo

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 02:56:14 AM »

1.  One of the best bands ever.  One listen to their 80s output confirms this.  Their 90s+ stuff is also generally awesome though Songs of Faith and Devotion is a somewhat embarrassing misstep.

2.  'nuff said.  Ziggy Stardust is probably the best rock n roll album ever.

2.  These were his preludes and etudes, which are distinctly not very messiaen-y.  Probably his only work that's not obviously influenced by birdsong, that I've heard.

4. Also like the best band ever.

4. This is Mozart's Requiem, which is fuck awesome.  von Karajan makes you feel the wrath of his bombast.

6. This was Serkin performing Messiaen's Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jesus, which is one of the best recordings of one of the contenders for best piano music of the 20th century.

7.  Mostly Atomic Cafe and Computer World, with a few tracks from Tour de France Soundtracks.

7.  I did a playthrough of the new album.  Seems pretty good.  This is more iPod music, so it will likely not show up on the charts again.

9.  Her Switched-On Bach is amazing if you love Moog music.  That's what I was on here.

10.  I think I was on Warm Leatherette.  Great shit.

Those play count numbers are all low, though.  I played through Requiem 3 times this past week.  Is last.fm flaky very often?  I know I listened to a lot more kraftwerk tracks than that, too.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 02:59:13 AM by TVC 15 »
serge

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 03:11:22 AM »
So is the official way to tag classical MP3s artist=performer? I kind of want to tag everything I have with the composer's names as I don't really remember the performer's names so well.

I too love Depeche Mode and New Order, though I didn't really get them when they were actually cool to like :-\

Yes, artist = performer.  iTunes does have a composer slot.  Sometimes if there are a lot of artists collaborating on an album, but not on every track, you have to use the artist and album artist tags, but I'm usually not that anal about my tagging.  For me, as long as it's reasonably correct and composer and main performer are tagged, I am good.  I am not concerned with who exactly is in Joshua Bell's posse on any given random track.
serge

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 03:25:53 AM »
lol Groo, Veronica Maggio? Do you have both albums?

I've mostly been listening to my Tokyo purchases, so the artist list is something like

1. Quasimode
2. J. Rawls
3. Mario Castro Neves & Samba S.A
4. The Quantic Soul Orchestra
5. Doris
6. 4 Hero
7. Pluxus
8. Natalie Gardiner
9. RZA a.k.a Bobby Digital
10. YMCK

The Quasimode live album is pretty awesome, especially the tracks with the sax dude from Sleepwalker guest performing.

J.Rawls just released The Liquid Crystal Project II, worth looking into if you like hiphop and jazz.

Bought the one-off Mario Castro Neves & Samba S.A album on CD in Tokyo, nice to have since the vinyl version is impossible. Also even better to know that the two tracks I do have on vinyl are probably the best ones.

Started listening to the Doris compilation album again (Did You Give The World Some Love Today, Baby), and it's really really good. Almost too good to be Swedish. Should sample some of this.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:39:24 AM by Hyoushi »
地平線

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 09:51:30 AM »
My Bowie album from the week was Hunky Dory

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:58:27 AM »

10.  I think I was on Warm Leatherette.  Great shit.

I wonder how many version of this song exist. I have only heard the Sleep Chamber version but have seen many alt versions referenced over the years.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 11:32:16 AM »
i don't use last FM but i am BANGING THE HELL out of the new Ponytail and i just discovered Digital Leather.

Tonya

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 11:55:40 AM »
GZA Genius
Raekwon
Wu Tang
Fiona Apple
Radiohead
Little Brother
Portishead