Author Topic: AV Club: "Hellboy II is simply a better movie than The Dark Knight."  (Read 6142 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: AV Club: "Hellboy II is simply a better movie than The Dark Knight."
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
you lost your ebert card when you praised get smart and speed racer. gtfo

Speed Racer is still the best thing Ive seen this year, and Get Smart was at least better than Indy IV and Hancock. I feel no shame. Besides, you like Forrest Gump. Screw film-reviewing, you've lost every credibility card.

As someone who has a smidgen more credibility than Pee Dee, I would like to say that Speed Racer is a terrible film and that all of you are allowing your nerdiness to cloud your judgment.

But you haven't seen SR. As for the nerdiness bit, of all the things I love/geek out over, anime isn't one of them (in fact I pretty much hate it), so nerdgasm dont come into play with SR. I also hated the Wachowski Bros after Matrix 2 and 3, so thats another strike SR had going against it. I just think SR overcame both those barriers by leaps and bounds and was way more awesome than I ever thought imaginable.

Uh, I have seen it.  I watched it on joox.  Maybe there was something missing in the translation from big screen to my laptop, but to be honest with you the only reason I think you people liked it was OMG PRETTY SHIT TO LOOK AT.  It's a pretty terrible film and a pretty shitty job of film making.  But whatever, you guys are certainly entitled to like crappy stuff.
yar

Rman

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2008, 03:20:19 PM »
PD, have you seen Speed Racer?

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2008, 03:21:01 PM »
why would i willingly view such an abortion?

Solo

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2008, 03:23:27 PM »
PD, you like Harry Potter 4. Dont act like your ass has some refined tastes.

Triumph - no hope for you, I guess. Also, off topic, but how in the christ did you not see Blade Runner until recently? Seems almost a prerequisite viewing experience for anyone who loves Children of Men. Not that they are incredibly similar, but CoM fans tend to also be BR fans.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 03:32:03 PM by Solo »

Rman

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2008, 03:29:27 PM »
why would i willingly view such an abortion?
One would think you would have to watch a film before you can make any judgments about it.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2008, 03:47:10 PM »

Triumph - no hope for you, I guess. Also, off topic, but how in the christ did you not see Blade Runner until recently? Seems almost a prerequisite viewing experience for anyone who loves Children of Men. Not that they are incredibly similar, but CoM fans tend to also be BR fans.

As I said in the other thread, it was Just One Of Those Things.  After a while I guess I purposely avoided seeing it just so I could keep saying "Yeah, I've never seen Blade Runner.  Just One Of Those Things."  But it was quite good, altho I saw the Director's cut so I understand the original theatrical cut had narration, which I would imagine would change the film quite drastically. 

As for Speed Racer, I can understand people enjoying it as a popcorn flick or whatever but I just have to plead bewilderment at people saying it's a good film in general, much less "the best thing I've seen this year."  It's a mess of pretty colors and visuals, with shitty acting and directing thrown on top.  Not to mention an absurd plot, which while I will freely admit I've enjoyed some movies with absurd plots in my day, they usually tend to be well directed and acted.  Speed Racer is none of those things.
yar

Solo

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2008, 03:55:16 PM »

As I said in the other thread, it was Just One Of Those Things.  After a while I guess I purposely avoided seeing it just so I could keep saying "Yeah, I've never seen Blade Runner.  Just One Of Those Things."  But it was quite good, altho I saw the Director's cut so I understand the original theatrical cut had narration, which I would imagine would change the film quite drastically. 

As for Speed Racer, I can understand people enjoying it as a popcorn flick or whatever but I just have to plead bewilderment at people saying it's a good film in general, much less "the best thing I've seen this year."  It's a mess of pretty colors and visuals, with shitty acting and directing thrown on top.  Not to mention an absurd plot, which while I will freely admit I've enjoyed some movies with absurd plots in my day, they usually tend to be well directed and acted.  Speed Racer is none of those things.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree about SR. While I can accept almost all of your criticisms, the one I cant is the one I bolded. Say what you want about the acting, writing and whatnot, but SR has fantastic direction and editing. Other than that, Im done on the topic.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2008, 07:03:41 PM »
Q: Are the Hellboy comics any good? Wondering since I liked the movie and want to know if I should lower myself to nerd books to get moar.
USA

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2008, 07:06:46 PM »
Q: Are the Hellboy comics any good? Wondering since I liked the movie and want to know if I should lower myself to nerd books to get moar.

A: Yes
nat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2008, 07:17:51 PM »
sounds better than batman begins

Is it more creative and visually impressive than Christopher Nolan's freshman comic book effort?  Totally.  But it's not a better film.  Hellboy II is worth the price of admission to see spectacles that only Del Toro can deliver, but the whole effort is not poperly focused.  It's all over the place.

And Del Toro has still failed to bring any tension between Hellboy and any opponents that meet with his right hand of doom, maybe less this time around.  You get the feeling like nothing can stop him and you never worry - not for one second - that he won't beat the bad guy.  The only thing that really seems to be bubbling is a real internal struggle and identity crisis, which is something Del Toro hints at but ultimately saves for a sequel.

Del Toro tries to say too many things with this flick, as well.  What's the theme?  There are like four.  It's crazy.
PSP

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2008, 07:48:50 PM »
Does Nick Cave's Red Right hand appear in the movie?
serge

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2008, 07:56:37 PM »
Sadly no.  And Danny Elfman's score is a downgrade from Marco Beltrami's underrated effort from the original.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2008, 07:58:49 PM »
In retrospect the film is very frustrating.  I wanted to really like it, but I kind of walked out not totally satisified.  For every improvement over the original, Del Toro takes a step backward.  I kind of want to see it again to see how it plays the second time around to get a clear opinion.
PSP

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2008, 08:09:19 PM »
Sadly no.  And Danny Elfman's score is a downgrade from Marco Beltrami's underrated effort from the original.

I thought Hellboy II was better and more imaginative than the first film, but I definitely accept your criticisms, because they are similar to mine. While I did like Elfman's score as well, it really didn't touch Beltrami's for me as well. Thank you for saying that it was underrated, because I sure as hell felt that it was.
HLR

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2008, 08:12:13 PM »
However, Hellboy II is still worth seeing, and it's better than the first film. I felt that the first film was all over the place and it failed to focus on Hellboy or his team members as much as it did on Myers. This film, however, succeeds in fleshing out the team's relationships to a better degree, and the creature design is like watching designs that would be in a Pan's Labyrinth sequel. Definitely a great film, and a hilarious one (I couldn't stop laughing throughout the entirety of the thing) but I don't doubt that the Dark Knight is definitely going to be the comic book film that really opens eyes.
HLR

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2008, 08:13:04 PM »
By the way, PD, if you don't see Speed Racer, you are truly distinguished mentally-challenged. It's probably my number two pick for film of the year right behind Wall-E.
HLR

TVC15

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2008, 08:17:02 PM »
However, Hellboy II is still worth seeing, and it's better than the first film. I felt that the first film was all over the place and it failed to focus on Hellboy or his team members as much as it did on Myers. This film, however, succeeds in fleshing out the team's relationships to a better degree, and the creature design is like watching designs that would be in a Pan's Labyrinth sequel. Definitely a great film, and a hilarious one (I couldn't stop laughing throughout the entirety of the thing) but I don't doubt that the Dark Knight is definitely going to be the comic book film that really opens eyes.

I dig the first movie, but it did totally leave me with the impression that it would have been a ton better if it had been a miniseries on HBO or something.
serge

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2008, 08:29:10 PM »

I dig the first movie, but it did totally leave me with the impression that it would have been a ton better if it had been a miniseries on HBO or something.

Exactly. This film feels more like a movie and it definitely has Del Toro written all over it.
HLR

TVC15

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2008, 08:30:31 PM »
I want to see it ASAP, but theaters will be packed tonight with fiulthy fucking rich teenagers.  Whenever I have to be around teenagers for an extended period, I can't help but let my mind wander into thinking about what their blood looks like.
serge

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2008, 08:32:26 PM »
I want to see it ASAP, but theaters will be packed tonight with fiulthy fucking rich teenagers.  Whenever I have to be around teenagers for an extended period, I can't help but let my mind wander into thinking about what their blood looks like.

delicious in a tea
Tonya

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2008, 08:34:11 PM »

Honestly, I watched it in a notoriously bad theater for dumbasses, and I was the loudest one because I couldn't stop laughing.

Meaning that you might be safe. MIGHT.
HLR

TVC15

« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »
If I wake up before 4PM tomorrow, maybe I'll try a matinee.  It's late enough here that the theaters will be zerg rushed.  The only thing that's worse than teenagers are obnoxiously rich teenagers.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2008, 09:53:16 PM »
Just came back from viewing it. I liked it a lot. Del Toro did a really good job of making a cohesive world with these monsters inhabiting it. The imagery is abso-fucking-lutely amazing. His vision and translating it to film is remarkable.

I wasn't put off by the romance aspects at all. The karaoke scene was hilarious. The plot was sort of generic and utterly forgettable. It seems to act as a bridge to what seems to be, a more interesting Hellboy 3.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 09:55:19 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2008, 10:21:10 PM »

I find that the best time to see a movie on opening weekend for sociopaths like ourselves tends to be the first possible showing on a Sunday.  Families are at church, teenagers are hung over.  Attendance is sparse.  It's super fucking ace if you can score a showing before noon, too.
yar

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2008, 02:34:38 AM »
Saw it. Was awesome.
zzzzz

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2008, 08:44:47 PM »
saw it tonight rather than fight traffic

zomfg

can we just give him a billion dollars and let him go nutso?

so tragic to see his career cut short (lol) by hobbits

fucking hobbits.
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »

I find that the best time to see a movie on opening weekend for sociopaths like ourselves tends to be the first possible showing on a Sunday.  Families are at church, teenagers are hung over.  Attendance is sparse.  It's super fucking ace if you can score a showing before noon, too.

this is how i saw pulp fiction way back when

i was the only one in the theater

i almost lit up a cigarette, but then a couple walked in about twenty minutes into the movie

wtf, just stay home if you're that late
sup

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2008, 09:26:31 PM »
i saw pulp fiction in theaters with my parents and my girlfriend

whoops

Tonya