Author Topic: "... And Wii Music, which is just such vintage Nintendo."  (Read 4262 times)

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
"... And Wii Music, which is just such vintage Nintendo."
« on: July 21, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »
Sometimes differentiating between mendacity and simple ignorance is difficult to discern. Thankfully, not this time in this interview with the now-famous "blah blah blah Puppies are cute" nintendo lady:

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/nintendos-cammi.html

Well, you heard [Nintendo President Satoru] Iwata's commitment, that the Zelda and Mario teams are hard at work. And you know us, Chris, we don't talk about things until we are confident that they are in a place where we're going to be able to deliver on them in relatively short order after talking about them

wait til spaceworld!

And Animal Crossing is a franchise that's been really enjoyed and embraced by a lot of serious gamers. And Wii Music, which is just such vintage Nintendo.

vintage nintendo!

At least kohler got a good dig in himself:

Because there are kids at home watching this press conference on TV. Or glued to their monitors, popcorn in hand. And they're waiting for, here's the new Zelda, the new Mario, Kid Icarus, whatever.

empahsis on "kids" and "at home". Note the unspecified age of said kids.

what an atrocity

edit: trollin' but monday SUX
hex

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Re: "... And Wii Music, which is just such vintage Nintendo."
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 01:58:51 PM »
Cammie's pretty cute though, reminds me of my g/f a bit. Kohler did a good job with the interview, asked some good and pressing questions.
^_^

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 01:59:10 PM »
Cammie needs to die in a fire.
zzzzz

cool breeze

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 02:05:21 PM »
bitch is senile.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:13:03 PM »
clearly she understands nintendo's new NOT FOR GAMERS market, which current nintendo-focused forum posters ought to internalize as well: THE WII IS NOT FOR YOU.
duc

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »
Cammie's pretty cute though, reminds me of my g/f a bit.

fat

DJ_Tet

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 02:15:55 PM »
Did one of her teeth die?
TIT

Wolf Gang

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
Nintendo ripped me off. Instead of Wii games, all I got were Gamecube ports with add-on waggle controls. That shit is not right.

I kid. Is Yamauchi having a laugh right now?

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 02:54:58 PM »
Nintendo ripped me off. Instead of Wii games, all I got were Gamecube ports with add-on waggle controls. That shit is not right.
You didn't clue in when the big game it launched with was a Gamecube port with add-on waggle controls?
zzzzz

cool breeze

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 03:01:52 PM »
Watching bits of the Nintendo conference again, I am still shocked by how awful this is.  This senile woman is talking to herself and then fails at throwing the Frisbee.  No one there actually seems to understand how to play these games.

Wolf Gang

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 03:07:12 PM »
@ Bob: I guess you didn't see what I did there.

Every Wii game is a GameCube port by virtue of Wii being a re-packaged GameCube, or colloquially known as, "piece of shit."

I can't wait for Nintendo's baiting of casuals to continue with Wii Music so I can finally sell my piece of shit on eBay, now that I've had my fill of Super Mario Galaxy and Brawl.

It's sad that Ragdoll Kung Fu, a downloadable PSN game, looks better than Brawl in alpha state. I know the gameplay will be shit in comparison but I'm talking from the perspective of a graphics whore.

Grecco

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 03:07:21 PM »
Shes no Perrin Kaplan.

DJ_Tet

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 03:08:26 PM »
You didn't clue in when the big game it launched with was a Gamecube port with add-on waggle controls?

lol I wish it was a gamecube port.  Between the GC version getting delayed for the 20th time and the Wii being sold out until forever, I didn't get a chance to play TP until March.

If I had known then what I know now I would have bought the superior GC edition.  But alas.
TIT

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 03:17:01 PM »
Cammie's pretty cute though, reminds me of my g/f a bit.

Yeah, demi, I'm off the market, I'm sorry  :(
^_^

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 04:37:24 PM »
Vintage nintendo? :(  Has she ever played a 'vintage' nintendo game?

etiolate

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 04:47:38 PM »
clearly she understands nintendo's new NOT FOR GAMERS market, which current nintendo-focused forum posters ought to internalize as well: THE WII IS NOT FOR YOU.

Even ignorantly thinking that is their only aim, it makes no sense as well to continue what it seems they are heading towards. It's like the D.A.R.E. program at school, where they told you of gateway drugs that lead to the harder drugs, that marijuana would lead you to cocaine. Wii Play is simply a gateway game, and eventually like the rest of us did when we first started gaming, this audience will want something more. If Nintendo doesn't start to create these bridging games, all they have done is made a massive audience that will move on to Sony/MS next gen. That is of course if Sony and especially MS get their own heads out of their asses and stop making redundant male hormonal shit themselves.

Whoever makes the bridging game, the game that is focused on fun and not a big budget entertainment setup, but goes far deeper and robust than a mini-game collection will grab the next big wave.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 04:51:32 PM »
you're on crack. there is no way that my mother-in-law will ever play a cave shooter or srpg.
duc

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 04:55:14 PM »

Even ignorantly thinking that is their only aim, it makes no sense as well to continue what it seems they are heading towards. It's like the D.A.R.E. program at school, where they told you of gateway drugs that lead to the harder drugs, that marijuana would lead you to cocaine. Wii Play is simply a gateway game, and eventually like the rest of us did when we first started gaming, this audience will want something more. If Nintendo doesn't start to create these bridging games, all they have done is made a massive audience that will move on to Sony/MS next gen. That is of course if Sony and especially MS get their own heads out of their asses and stop making redundant male hormonal shit themselves.

Whoever makes the bridging game, the game that is focused on fun and not a big budget entertainment setup, but goes far deeper and robust than a mini-game collection will grab the next big wave.

Good point. Seems like Guitar Hero/Rock Band were able to bridge that gap very well. But Wii Music is the equivalent of the dirty bum who can't pay the toll to get over the bridge

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 04:58:22 PM »
you're on crack. there is no way that my mother-in-law will ever play a cave shooter or srpg.

yeah, I don't think stuff like wii sports is a gateway drug as much as it is a bridge to nowhere. Or, rather, a bridge to other similar Nintendo products. They seem really keen on building a brand and a customer base that is intentionally mutually exclusive from the set that would enjoy stuff like cave shooters or srpgs.

And for good buisness reasons-those customers are far less demanding and easier to please than the core gamer set.
hex

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 05:01:58 PM »
it's a bridge to lawn darts and bowling leagues, maybe
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 05:04:11 PM »
the reason these folks play these wii games is because they're social, not because they're good, or even because they're video games. when they finally shrug off the novelty and realize that they can have an identical grade of fun with pictionary or bocce bowling or monopoly or one of those little basketball hoops, the wii will go back into the closet for good.

nerds, on the other hand, play videogames regardless of the social compoent, and prefer that they be isingle player, or at least socially exclusive to like-minded types.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:14:21 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 05:07:15 PM »
that resort game will sell tons, though

they'll pack it with a wagglestick and that 1:1 plug

the reason these folks play these wii games is because they're social, not because they're good, or even because they're video games. when they finally shrug off the novelty and realize that they can have an identical grade of fun with pictionary or bocce bowling or monopoly or one of those little basketball hoops, the wii will go back into the closet for good.

see, that's what i am waiting for, that flood of used cheap wiis cause mom is tired of having that shit in the living room and also that barely-used wiifit being a constant reminder of her hamlegs
sup

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 05:09:22 PM »
the thing is that the kids will still play it even if mom doesn't like it anymore. Nintendo sold plenty of gamecubes in the US because Nintendo has always been a "safe" buy for the 8-13 year old set.
hex

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 05:11:49 PM »
fuck, i am never going to get that sub-$150 wii am i

there are about 5 games i want to gamefly, then i can resell it

when i owned that wii for the weekend there wasn't shit out for it i wanted to play
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 05:13:37 PM »
Nintendo will never drop the price of the Wii.  Why would they? people buy it in boat loads.

This is the future of gaming.  Get accustom with it.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
well, maybe i can buy another one at $250, rent those games, and then resell it for the $250, if that's the case

sup

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 05:15:22 PM »

nerds, on the other hand, play videogames regardless of the social compoent, and prefer that they be inclusive, or at least socially exclusive.

wii sports is nothing but a bridge under the bed/into the closet every Thanksgiving/Christmas because those are the only time people remember they have the thing. People who play Nintendogs don't branch out and become core gamers, they continue to buy stuff like Nintendogs until they become obsessed with Hannah Montana.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 05:18:54 PM »
Nintendo will never drop the price of the Wii.  Why would they? people buy it in boat loads.

(Image removed from quote.)

This is the future of gaming.  Get accustom with it.

hahahaha that image is fuck awesome
fat

Tristam

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 05:25:55 PM »
Cammie's pretty cute though, reminds me of my g/f a bit. Kohler did a good job with the interview, asked some good and pressing questions.

Gross. Like Kaplan, she's simultaneously corporate and matronly, neither of which are endearing qualities for a man of any age.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »
Cammie needs to invest in some teeth whitener if she is going to be smiling like a goon everywhere.

Also I don't see how fellating the Wii controller to play a trumpet on Wii Music is considered "vintage Nintendo."
🍆🍆

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 05:50:21 PM »

Gross. Like Kaplan, she's simultaneously corporate and matronly, neither of which are endearing qualities for a man of any age.

I've banged worse. And I don't mind the corporate appeal at all, although the matronly is a tougher sell. But then I'm not seeing that here. Looks like any corporate lady to me.

As for Wii as a transitional experience, I'm not buying that at all. Nintendo's goal here is to mine for a new audience, and it has succeeded. This audience had little interest in video games before the Wii, but enjoy what Wii brings to the table. If it fails to supply new games to keep their attention, they are just going to go back to being disinterested in video games again. Few of these women and elderly buggers are going to move from WiiSports to deeper or more "sophisticated" games (hell, I'd wager that even Mario Galaxy is likely a bit of a stretch), and I doubt that was ever a consideration for Nintendo.

So to bring back an old question to the Cubites who wanted so badly for Nintendo to succeed, how does that success taste?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:55:25 PM by duckman2000 »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 06:00:11 PM »
why does anyone even give a fuck how this woman looks
sup

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2008, 06:04:09 PM »
I just love the redefinition of "hardcore" to include Animal Crossing
乱学者

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008, 06:05:28 PM »

She's a public figure, she gets ridiculed like anyone else

If she can't handle it, she might as well just shut down the internet hey
fat

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 06:05:38 PM »

chopping trees son!

duckman2000

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 06:05:50 PM »
Back in the Gamecube days, cubites used that term in reference to Kirby Air ride.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 06:08:50 PM »

that's not what i meant

all this "would i fuck this new female nintendo corporate mouthpiece" is just a little creepy and bewildering to me
sup

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2008, 06:09:58 PM »

yeah that is the one thing that is sort of burned into my mind-it's the second time that the Nintendo PR machine have said this, and it's sort of sad the way that no one is saying 'hey,no, that's not a hardcore game.'.

I know this for sure-if someone from EA was to go the PC journos and freelancers and started saying that The Sims 2 is a game for hardcore gamers, they'd get eviscerated for doing so.
hex

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 06:11:03 PM »

that's not what i meant

all this "would i fuck this new female nintendo corporate mouthpiece" is just a little creepy and bewildering to me

Well I wouldnt fuck her
fat

duckman2000

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2008, 06:12:03 PM »
that's not what i meant

Er, who said that?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2008, 06:17:29 PM »

Doing lots of repetitive tasks in the hopes of getting some obscure item? Sounds like EvilBore GOTY!
dog

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2008, 06:27:39 PM »

Doing lots of repetitive tasks in the hopes of getting some obscure item? Sounds like EvilBore GOTY!

wow, what reductionist drivel. by this logic I should grab a bottle of two buck chuck instead of one of the wines like cohen talks about for dinner, I mean they are both wine right?

hex

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2008, 06:33:15 PM »

wow, what reductionist drivel. by this logic I should grab a bottle of two buck chuck instead of one of the wines like cohen talks about for dinner, I mean they are both wine right?

Cooking Navi DS rejects formalist, hardcore "recipes" in favor of putting whatever you have in your fridge on a bagel then having Bobby Flay tell you what a good chef you are.
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2008, 06:34:10 PM »

We'll drink that two buck chuck and like it! But only if there's the promise of loot drops.
dog

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2008, 06:42:52 PM »

I've banged worse. And I don't mind the corporate appeal at all, although the matronly is a tougher sell. But then I'm not seeing that here. Looks like any corporate lady to me.

As for Wii as a transitional experience, I'm not buying that at all. Nintendo's goal here is to mine for a new audience, and it has succeeded. This audience had little interest in video games before the Wii, but enjoy what Wii brings to the table. If it fails to supply new games to keep their attention, they are just going to go back to being disinterested in video games again. Few of these women and elderly buggers are going to move from WiiSports to deeper or more "sophisticated" games (hell, I'd wager that even Mario Galaxy is likely a bit of a stretch), and I doubt that was ever a consideration for Nintendo.

So to bring back an old question to the Cubites who wanted so badly for Nintendo to succeed, how does that success taste?

i'm really getting off on the massive ninthing cognitive dissonance introduced by the wii's success. like, seriously, i have my pud out and am slamming my laptop lid on it repeatedly while i scream and cackle over their clear dissatsfaction and distress.

:hump
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:58:49 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 06:44:28 PM »

Doing lots of repetitive tasks in a challenging, discordant setting in the hopes of getting some randomly-generated obscure item while jiggering character builds and statistics? Sounds like EvilBore GOTY!

fix'd
duc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 09:51:03 PM »

Doing lots of repetitive tasks in a challenging, discordant setting in the hopes of getting some randomly-generated obscure item while jiggering character builds and statistics? Sounds like EvilBore GOTY!

fix'd

But in Animal Crossing you can draw your own shirt, both front and back! Can you do that in Titan Quest? Noooo.
dog

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2008, 09:57:55 PM »
no, and that's because titan quest isn't for feggits
duc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator