Author Topic: Penny-Arcade Puts How I Feel About PS3 into WORDS  (Read 2781 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Penny-Arcade Puts How I Feel About PS3 into WORDS
« on: November 17, 2006, 01:01:23 PM »
The cruelest speculation is that the launch figure is something like half of what was promised - 150,000 to 200,000 units, says one analyst. I am not an analyst, but when I scour the launch list for a reason to wait outside for days in a fucking line, no klaxons sound and no lights begin to blink or flash.  Motorstorm and Lair  - the games that really sold people the system at this year's Tokyo Game Show - are nowhere to be seen.  There are, of course, those distant ultrabrands -  the ones that start with Metal and Final  - but buying a system at today's prices, under today's conditions is on that basis is... unwise.  Unwise is the diplomatic word I have chosen.

The launch is full of...  Well, Launch Titles.  It sounds like Insomniac did what Insomniac does - deliver spit-polished hits. Past that, you've got Genji (rank), Untold Legends (just... no) and Gundam (daemonic). Everything else is something that

(a) already came out, and

(b) most likely runs better or has more features on existing equipment.  Seriously, read the reviews.   

This is beyond insulting. This is beyond ridiculous.  It is farcical.

More is of course, here:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/
o_0

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: Penny-Arcade Puts How I Feel About PS3 into WORDS
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 01:03:07 PM »
Why don't you just go make love with Tycho already.

:-\

I read that earlier .. it was pretty good. He toned down the annoying wordiness that he usually partakes in.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 01:04:12 PM »
his blogs used to suck, I suspect he hired a guy
o_0

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 03:45:54 PM »
the delicious tears of PS3 fans who went home empty handed fill my cup to o'erflowing
乱学者

MrAngryFace

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 03:56:11 PM »
hahaha
o_0

futami

• my jeans cost as much as a PS3
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 09:29:59 PM »
penny arcade is transparently anti-sony, rendering their sentiments on the launch immediately dismissable.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 09:35:17 PM »
penny arcade is transparently anti-sony, rendering their sentiments on the launch immediately dismissable.

How so?  Are refuting that two hit games for the system are missing from launch?  Are you refuting that Resistance is a hit???  Are you defending Gundam?  Because if you are, that makes anything you ever say immediately dismissable.

futami

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 09:49:12 PM »

How so?  Are refuting that two hit games for the system are missing from launch?  Are you refuting that Resistance is a hit???  Are you defending Gundam?  Because if you are, that makes anything you ever say immediately dismissable.

no, i'm saying that, whatever truth is contained in their reflections, penny-arcade's history precludes me taking their opinion of sony's launch seriously.

if you can't see their bias, you're a fucking idiot.

period.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 09:53:32 PM »
bias has nothing to do with it, genius.  Everyone is biased in some shape.  Take the information within and interpret it as you see fit.  truth is truth.  And if you can't understand that, you're a fucking idiot.

period.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 10:00:33 PM »
Mupepe, I want you to make manbabies with me :-*
duc

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 10:02:58 PM »
Mupepe, I want you to make manbabies with me :-*
Well, then come wait for Wii in Houston with me!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm actually just strolling in to Target tomorrow to see if they have it  lolz
[close]

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 10:04:39 PM »
Targets in metro areas are getting like 120 of 'em, so you should be fine.
duc

futami

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 10:04:50 PM »
bias has nothing to do with it, genius.  Everyone is biased in some shape.  Take the information within and interpret it as you see fit.  truth is truth.  And if you can't understand that, you're a fucking idiot.

period.

no, having a preference is different than deliberate mendacity, the dishonesty that penny arcade exhibits in their "take" on the industry.

again, if you're unable to see it, or choose not to, there's nothing more i can say.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 10:06:03 PM »
how are they dishonest? can't they legitimately express disinterest in a $600 game console with extremely limited distribution? just sayin' is all!
duc

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 10:09:05 PM »
Targets in metro areas are getting like 120 of 'em, so you should be fine.
Hawt shit.

no, having a preference is different than deliberate mendacity, the dishonesty that penny arcade exhibits in their "take" on the industry.

again, if you're unable to see it, or choose not to, there's nothing more i can say.
wait, so they're no longer just biased, they're dishonest?  Keep it up, buddy.  If there are actual facts in the article, then there shouldn't be any problem with reading it and having your own take on it.  Or maybe you're just too stupid to seperate clear opinions and facts.

futami

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 10:11:22 PM »
how are they dishonest? can't they legitimately express disinterest in a $600 game console with extremely limited distribution? just sayin' is all!

the dishonesty is manifested in impressions, past and present, that are consistently negative.

if they prefer the xbox brand, come out and say so, and leave it at that.

desist with the pretense of objectivity.

it's the same reason i dislike the 1up podcast.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 10:12:19 PM »
where has penny arcade ever assumed objectivity? they likes what they likes; they've always been pretty clear about it.

bunsen and beaker aren't even comparable to the painful 1up podcasts; they know they ain't cool. the 1uppers try to act unpleasantly detached from the hobby that pays their bills, whereas tycho/gabe are unashamedly immersed in it.
duc

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 10:14:17 PM »
Look Ma, we're going in circles!