Author Topic: THE SOUL STILL BURNS  (Read 19191 times)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: THE SOUL STILL BURNS
« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2008, 08:33:10 AM »
Yeah, the Apprentice seemed twice as hard as the hardest fight you had up to that point.  All he does is spam that force power move and then low hit you constantly before you can get up or roll around.
püp

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2008, 08:38:17 AM »
Yeah, the Apprentice seemed twice as hard as the hardest fight you had up to that point.  All he does is spam that force power move and then low hit you constantly before you can get up or roll around.

Yoda's just really annoying because he is immune to throws and his movement is so erratic. 
serge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2008, 08:49:21 AM »
Man, I am getting killed online.  If it's not a 4 or 5 connection, forget trying to guard impact either!  Long-range characters like Kilik and Mi-Na or power characters like Siegfried DOMINATE online.
ど助平

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2008, 10:08:16 AM »
Haha, I created a Locke back on Soul Calibur 3, nice to see you can do it in 4.

what I used for reference:
WDW

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2008, 10:20:48 AM »
Awesome.  Love that outfit.  I gotta play some more so I can unlock a suitable shirt for Lock.  I've got a vest but nothing that I could use to put under it.  Same with my Jack.  Jack needs some clothes.
Tacos

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2008, 12:21:17 PM »
So kicking is a very powerful "weapon."  After all this losing, I stopped trying to parry so much and went back to good old fashioned blocking.  And kicking. Lots and lots of kicking (with Taki and Taki-style characters). 

I got an unranked win streak going against these three Japanese players that were clearly much better than I was.  I don't think they knew what to do against so many kick attacks; I was shocked, but I beat everyone they threw at me.  Finally after losing, I got booted.   :lol
ど助平

cool breeze

« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2008, 12:30:05 PM »
Yeah, when I play as Taki or Maxi, I use kicks as my main attacks.  Good range and snap to every attack.  Very easy to lay on a few attacks and back off without getting caught in a flimsy weapon combo.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2008, 12:44:02 PM »
OMG does Vader fucking blow.  It's like controlling a loaf of bread.
Tacos

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2008, 12:45:22 PM »
Well, it looks like there is no tag team versus.  What a tease.  Why even work on the feature to include it in Story mode when it is unavailable everywhere else? 
serge

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #189 on: August 01, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »
DLC tag team vs mode 800pts
Tacos

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2008, 12:56:57 PM »
Holy shit, I just fought against this guy with a custom Maxi character that looked EXACTLY like Jacky from Virtua Fighter!!  Same hair, black jacket, red pants, and black shoes...spot on!   :o

Yeah, when I play as Taki or Maxi, I use kicks as my main attacks.  Good range and snap to every attack.  Very easy to lay on a few attacks and back off without getting caught in a flimsy weapon combo.

Yeah, may have to look into Maxi (and perhaps Yun Sung?) now too.  This strategy is working great online; started playing ranked matches and was beating people with higher levels than me easily. 

I love how easy they made it to unlock stuff: Don't feel like grinding in the tower of souls mode for custom character items?  Just play versus and rack up achievements...voila!
ど助平

cool breeze

« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2008, 12:58:02 PM »
OMG does Vader fucking blow.  It's like controlling a loaf of bread.

Yeah, Vader and Yoda are both horrible.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2008, 12:58:48 PM »
Annnnnd.....system lock up.  Fuck my PS3.  I really need to call the Sony help line about this shit.
Tacos

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2008, 01:58:22 PM »
I'm wondering if this is a firmware issue.  I've been looking around online and noticed some others that have run into similar problems.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/ps3-firmware-240-causing-console-lock-ups
I know that's about 2.40 but maybe it's still going on.
Tacos

cool breeze

« Reply #194 on: August 01, 2008, 02:38:58 PM »
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/20503

1upshow segment on SC4.  It is actually quite good.

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #195 on: August 01, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/20503

1upshow segment on SC4.  It is actually quite good.
That gets 4 jolly Gerstmanns out of 5

That pic is like 10000000000000000000000000 times funnier with the Firefox gif speedup quirk. :rofl

cool breeze

« Reply #196 on: August 01, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »
I made a big mistake in making a bunch of custom characters out of characters I'm not very good with, but I only use custom ones online.  Although it was hilarious seeing Guts without pants exposing his pink underwear.

ferrarimanf355

« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2008, 03:38:07 PM »
I made a big mistake in making a bunch of custom characters out of characters I'm not very good with, but I only use custom ones online.  Although it was hilarious seeing Guts without pants exposing his pink underwear.
I have my ninja babe the way I want, but her health bar is so goddamn low.  :'(

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2008, 03:47:33 PM »
Vader is the worst fucking fighter character ever.  He's like a lumbering fool and his slow, awkward slashes do next to no damage at all.  I just spent the past half hour trying to beat The Apprentice (who's cheap as hell) and I want to throw my controller through the wall.  God damn that sucked.

I'm not liking this SC as much as the previous ones though, especially the single player mission/story modes.  It just feels gimped.
Tacos

JustinP

• I put bananas up my butt. ONE MORE DUMB POST AND I'M BANNED!
« Reply #199 on: August 01, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »
Vader is the worst fucking fighter character ever.  He's like a lumbering fool and his slow, awkward slashes do next to no damage at all.  I just spent the past half hour trying to beat The Apprentice (who's cheap as hell) and I want to throw my controller through the wall.  God damn that sucked.

I'm not liking this SC as much as the previous ones though, especially the single player mission/story modes.  It just feels gimped.
:lol i had no problem killing the apprentice.  vader's really not that bad at all--just learn how to use his force moves. 

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2008, 07:23:09 PM »
I know you're required to like him and all but I bet deep down under that playstation armor of yours you agree with me that Vader fucking blows.
Tacos

cool breeze

« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2008, 07:33:31 PM »
I have the PS3 version and yeah, Vader is awful.  Between Yoda and Vader, probably Vader is a tad less awful, but both are awful.  It is even more lame that you can't use them to customize your characters.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #202 on: August 01, 2008, 07:40:14 PM »
I can only imagine how awful Yoda must be if Vader is the better choice of the two.

lol....and people were fighting over these shitball characters.
Tacos

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #203 on: August 01, 2008, 07:41:03 PM »
i bet it's easier to beat the apprentice with yoda, though
sup

JustinP

« Reply #204 on: August 01, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »
I know you're required to like him and all but I bet deep down under that playstation armor of yours you agree with me that Vader fucking blows.
i don't use him much based on the fact that he is a novelty character (i don't use apprentice or algor for same reasons).  but i didn't really have a problem doing arcade mode with vader.  against the apprentice, i just threw him out of the ring twice because i wanted to get it over with quickly.  i think i do better with vader than with some other characters, but again, i don't really play as vader much.  i think it's distinguished mentally-challenged that you can't disallow the novelty characters online. 

but if you want to discredit my posts based on a perceived bias, i'd rather you just not respond.  there's no point to the silly trolling. 

drohne

« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2008, 08:44:57 PM »
i haven't tried vader yet, but i'm thrilled to have seen very few vaders online. if he's useless, so much the better. tons of apprentices, but uh...i think the apprentice is kind of cool. yeah, nobody has any business swinging a lightsaber in soul calibur, but he essentially has an aerial rave combo! zomg! dante! mvc! i'll have to unlock him this weekend

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2008, 09:08:28 PM »
I just had a great match against a shit-talking kid.  I'm Taki, he picks a Cervantes style custom (animu Bleach version!).  I unleash the trusted "kickmaster method," doing almost nothing but kicks.  He keeps talking shit through his mic as he loses.  Then he gets pissed, and beats me down in the third battle.  He goes to finish it with the torpedo move, but I manage to sidestep and avoid it as he goes right off the edge of the stage, ending the match.   :lol

I wish I had a mic, I was :rofl the entire time listening to him bitch and talk shit as he lost.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: August 01, 2008, 09:52:58 PM »
Vader has some pretty cheap high priority combos.

Vader, Yoda- YUCK.  At least Vader is more "fair" than Yoda, but surprisingly I haven't encountered Yoda much in online bouts.  He's not as manueverable as the other characters, maybe that's why.

Apprentice has some cool moves, too bad he's related to Star Wars.
ど助平

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #208 on: August 01, 2008, 10:54:20 PM »
She was fine in 3 too, wah wah 2, who the fuk plays 2 anymore cept lamecubers
o_0

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: August 01, 2008, 11:59:09 PM »
Yup, out with the old, in with the new.  No reason to go back to the old games.  SC1 "perfectionists" can even download their favorite music and shit.

Haha, people have gotta be hating me online now.  I am making a series of characters all named "Kickmaster," and I do just that...kick kick kick KICK.  One guy got so mad at me cuz I knocked him out of the ring twice...I let him win the next two fights as he talked shit, then I kicked his ass right out again on the final match!   :lol  One guy was even like "oh, you're not a kick spammer, ARE YOU?"  "Kick Spammer," huh? I like that...maybe I need to use that name too.
ど助平

ferrarimanf355

« Reply #210 on: August 02, 2008, 12:04:09 AM »
My ninja babe is perfected. If anyone wants stats, I can look at the stats again and post 'em. Pictures later...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: August 02, 2008, 12:06:49 AM »
And lyte edge, why are you proud of the fact that you are basically exploiting the net code?

Any decent player can get around the kick shit easy, laggy match or not.  There's just a LOT of shitty players out there.   ;)  You have to change up your game online.  A more simplistic approach works, and generally forget about trying to parry.  It's not my problem if your dumb ass won't roll or block.
ど助平

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #212 on: August 02, 2008, 12:52:05 AM »
i am totally going to link your posts the next time you act like fighting game developers wasting energy and resources on net play is a worthwhile endeavor

"because i want to press kick repeatedly" -- the slogan of the onling fighting game apologist
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2008, 01:05:38 AM »
Online is broken, if youre having fun with the online its not because youre playing a good online fighting game.
o_0

ferrarimanf355

« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2008, 01:07:08 AM »
Online is broken, if youre having fun with the online its not because youre playing a good online fighting game.
Good thing that there's only five online achievements, then.  :-*

JustinP

« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2008, 01:24:28 AM »
you guys are going to make wickedlaharl cry

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2008, 05:36:05 AM »
i am totally going to link your posts the next time you act like fighting game developers wasting energy and resources on net play is a worthwhile endeavor

"because i want to press kick repeatedly" -- the slogan of the onling fighting game apologist

Ahahaha, you guys think I'm just hitting kick repeatedly? 

NO.

I am just doing all of the kick attacks that Taki has more than sword play.  People cannot seem to comprehend multi-hitting attacks that hit high and then low.  Sucky players, that is.  I am talking about Xbox Live tards.  It hasn't been as bad on PSN actually.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 05:39:39 AM by lyte edge »
ど助平

CurseoftheGods

• just hanging around, being shitty
« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2008, 06:01:21 AM »

Word.

*boots up VF5 Online*

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2008, 08:42:31 AM »

Word.

*boots up VF5 Online*

It's the same.  Living in a country with fast internet speeds, if I play anyone locally, it's pretty much always a 5 bar connection.  Much like VF5.
ど助平

Shuri

« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »
I laugh at the drama queens who say that online gameplay is broken. There was some tard on another forum saying that there was a good 3-5 seconds delay before input and stuff happening on screen.

What the fuck is up with those people.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2008, 10:12:55 AM »
I laugh at the drama queens who say that online gameplay is broken. There was some tard on another forum saying that there was a good 3-5 seconds delay before input and stuff happening on screen.

What the fuck is up with those people.

They have shitty internet. 
ど助平

MrAngryFace

« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2008, 11:34:01 AM »
US infrastructure is crap. Blame te FARMERS IN THE MIDDLE
o_0

MoxManiac

« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »
I hope SF4's netcode is better. I don't mind it in SC4 since i'm just a casual SC scrub, but Street Fighter and it's ilk are where my competitive skillz are.
no

JustinP

« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2008, 09:51:56 PM »
i've yet to play an online fighter that didn't have crippling lag.  it's not a matter of poor netcode--it's the inherent design of fighting games.  fighting games depend on things like perfect frame execution and precise timing.  perfect online fighting is just not going to happen until network infrastructures are improved. 

ferrarimanf355

« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2008, 11:58:44 PM »
Iconistrator, which version do you have?

JustinP

« Reply #225 on: August 03, 2008, 09:19:48 PM »
DLC on disc = fail fail fail fail fail fail fail

ferrarimanf355

« Reply #226 on: August 03, 2008, 10:05:40 PM »
It's only 100 points/$1.49, so it's kind of a wash there...

JustinP

« Reply #227 on: August 03, 2008, 10:29:18 PM »
It's only 100 points/$1.49, so it's kind of a wash there...
price doesn't even matter.  it's on the disc.  it's bullshit.  people shouldn't stand for namco charging full price for a game and holding back parts of the disc. 

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #228 on: August 03, 2008, 11:36:45 PM »
^ its Namco so this shit is expected

JustinP

« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2008, 12:24:53 AM »
^ its Namco so this shit is expected
namco wouldn't do it if dumbasses would smarten up and not buy into this crap. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2008, 12:02:58 PM »
So am I the only one here playing this game online?   :-\

I don't think some of you guys are even on the online rankings list. 

Countless battles have shown me that Taki is my character.  I like Seung Mina too, and now am looking to try out Maxi, Mitsurugi, and Cassandra.
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2008, 12:10:28 PM »
Online matches for a fighting game are never good for me.  Mainly because I ALWAYS get my ass kicked.  No, I like beating my horrible friends rather than play incredible players.
püp

JustinP

« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2008, 12:11:29 PM »
So am I the only one here playing this game online?   :-\

I don't think some of you guys are even on the online rankings list. 

Countless battles have shown me that Taki is my character.  I like Seung Mina too, and now am looking to try out Maxi, Mitsurugi, and Cassandra.
i play some online on ps3.  i've usually stuck with unranked matches because they keep you in that group after you play so it's less of a hassle.  ranked or unranked, i still win most the matches.  and i still don't like the fighting system--it's just so bad.  i don't see how anyone could still like this series that much. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #233 on: August 04, 2008, 12:13:23 PM »
and i still don't like the fighting system--it's just so bad.  i don't see how anyone could still like this series that much. 

What is it that you don't like?
ど助平

JustinP

« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
and i still don't like the fighting system--it's just so bad.  i don't see how anyone could still like this series that much. 

What is it that you don't like?
compared to something like street fighter or even guilty gear, soul calibur just feels obtuse.  the difference really lies with how you execute more complex attacks.  in street fighter and guilty gear, you use stick commands--in soul calibur, you use button combinations.  i think stick commands are MUCH more intuitive than pressing two buttons to do a move. 

soul calibur gives you have a horizontal weapon attack button, a vertical weapon attack button, and a kick button...  but those only really make any sense when doing the most basic moves.  as soon as you start doing more advanced moves, the individual buttons often lose all definition.  there's little rhyme or reason when it comes to the more advanced moves--you just press two buttons and your character does a dance.  in the end i just feel like i'm recalling moves by memorizing the almost random button combinations--in games like street fighter and guilty gear, it's more intuitive. 

guilty gear has a somewhat similar control scheme to soul calibur--there's a button dedicated to kicks (though gg also has punch), and gg's 'weapon' buttons are slash and hard slash.  but gg uses stick commands.  so for slayer's sliding moves, for example, you use quarter circle back + kick (kick = legs = movement)--it makes sense because your input correlates with the character's actions.  cervantes's teleport attack uses back+kick+b... yet the character goes up and then comes down--other directions with kick+b are totally different moves.  with taki, i can roll forward and attack, follow that up with an aerial horizontal dive...  and i never even touched the stick. 

in general, soul calibur has less correlation between your input and the actions on screen.  sure, there are some attacks (like some of the diagnals) that make more sense, but there's just so many moves that do have that disconnect i reference above. 

it'd be one thing if that was just the direction soul calibur went--button combos instead of stick commands isn't necessarily invalid.  but soul calibur decides it also wants to have stick commands...   which are often even MORE complex than stuff in guilty gear and street fighter (214 to 3?  :wag). 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 01:25:30 PM by JustinP »

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2008, 02:46:23 PM »
I just bought it today, ebcause I was depressed and needed to spend money, evne though I hated the past Soul Caliburs.

But the good news is that they're opening a GameStop in the town I used to have to go to Wal-Mart for my games for. YAY FOR CHOICE!
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #236 on: August 04, 2008, 09:18:36 PM »
Its pretty decent game im kinda enjoying it. I bought alot of characters just from beating the game on Normal with gay Yoda.

How do I create a totally custom character with a unique name and everything? And can you make new jedis?
USA

ferrarimanf355

« Reply #237 on: August 04, 2008, 09:22:39 PM »
Its pretty decent game im kinda enjoying it. I bought alot of characters just from beating the game on Normal with gay Yoda.

How do I create a totally custom character with a unique name and everything? And can you make new jedis?
Go into character creation and select the custom icon (between the two characters with gigantic penis extensions), and no Jedis...  :'(

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2008, 09:26:15 PM »
Is the custom icon the "?" ?
USA

FatalT

« Reply #239 on: August 04, 2008, 09:28:44 PM »
Is the custom icon the "?" ?

No, it's the green and purple people in the same square. The ? icon is random select, which actually doesn't show up in the character customization screen.