Author Topic: My Wii experience  (Read 4439 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
My Wii experience
« on: November 18, 2006, 11:34:03 PM »
About an hour before the game came on I decided to take my brother to Gamestop to play the Wii. They were only allowing people with IDs to play the system, and kids could only play it if their parents were there; since I know the manager there she let my brother play with me.

When I touched the controller I was amazed at how good it felt. It's very comfortable and fit very well into my big hands. Button placement was also good, although I had to look down to see which button to push for a bit; this happens with any new controller though.

As you know, Excite Truck is the game that's showcased at all Wii kiosks. First off, let's get the looks out the way: although the game was running on a widescreen TV, it clearly was not in 480p. This was suprising considering the 360 and PS3 kiosks both were running in HD and looked great. Graphically the game was very unimpressive, and I couldn't help but think that I've seen countless Gamecube and PS2 games that looked better. This was especially evident when I could turn to my left and see a 360 running in all it's glory, and people flocking to it every couple minutes.

But graphics certainly aren't the most important aspect of a videogame: gameplay is. In this regard I felt Excite Truck was rather...unexciting. The controls were spot on, and my movements translated to the screen rather quickly with little to no noticeable lag. But the game still managed to feel uneven. Slow movement of the controller seemed to work pretty well, but the more deliberate turned needed for drifting seemed off, and I constantly crashed into trees. Overall I couldn't help but think the game was interesting for awhile, but I'd rather play Burnout with analog control. It simply was not an improvment over any racing game I've played. Was it easy to control? Yes. But it certainly wasn't better, at all.

To make matters worse, the courses seemed to be designed rather poorly. It feeled and looked like the cheap arcade racing game no one pays attention to. None of the courses I played had any sort of hook or interesting point in which I could say "wow, this is pretty sweet" like in a Burnout or even Mario Kart.

Overall I felt the game wasn't special at all, and if it wasn't on the Wii no one would care about it at all. Definitely a rental type game, not a purchase. And after a couple races I got quite tired of it. My brother liked it, but like me he felt it didn't really control better than an analog racing game.

Different is not always better, as I learned today. To be honest, I found Guitar Hero 2 for the PS2 to be far more innovative and fun than Excite Truck, and many other people seemed to agree considering lots of people flocked to the game to watch others play it. While I was playing the Wii, a few people came in and  and uttered "oh that's that Nintendo thing" before waking up to the counter to enquire about a DSL or PS3.

Himu

Re: My Wii experience
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 11:43:40 PM »
Guitar Hero isn't innovative at all. I point you to Guitar Freaks.
IYKYK

rocketman

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 11:44:42 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 11:45:55 PM »

Does it use a kickass guitar controller?

Himu

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 11:47:22 PM »

Does it use a kickass guitar controller?

Where do you think Guitar Hero got the schtick?

Guitar Freaks and Drum Mania, Konami Benami that go along with DDR, Beatmania.

IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 11:51:44 PM »
Meh.

It still seemed more fresh and interesting than Excite Truck

Himu

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 11:57:06 PM »
So because Excite Truck didn't interest you, you now hold a vendetta against the Wii? It's a launch game. Most launch games suck. I think Excite Truck is pretty fun.

What levels did you play? Try the China or Iceberg level next time.
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 11:58:48 PM »
Excitetruck is generic arcade racing crap.
duc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 12:01:45 AM »
So because Excite Truck didn't interest you, you now hold a vendetta against the Wii? It's a launch game. Most launch games suck. I think Excite Truck is pretty fun.

What levels did you play? Try the China or Iceberg level next time.

I played China, Fiji, and Canada.

Obviously I'm not judging the entire Wii, but this certainly isn't the best game to market the game. Wii Sports?

Himu

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 12:03:59 AM »
I agree. I wish they would put more into their kiosks. Only excite truck is silly.
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 12:06:54 AM »
what else would they demo, the games not named Zelda are crap

Happy Feet? Spongebob Mysteries? Red Steel?
duc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 12:07:25 AM »
Wii Sports would be the perfect choice.

It's fast and looks exciting to non gamers

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 12:07:53 AM »
it's also about as fun as cholera.
duc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 12:09:45 AM »
Did you play it already?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 12:12:44 AM »
I played Wii Golf and Wii Tennis. I tried golf first cuz hey I LUV ME SOME HOT SHOTS and how could you fuck golf up. They did: how you swing the club is largely meaningless. The only real game mechanic is in the direction you're facing. Wii Tennis is just a Fisher-Price take on Pong, although at least with Pong position dictated the angle of your shot. Both games are just a test of "waggle at a given time" and take ZERO real technique.
duc

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 12:44:00 AM »
3 buttons though. And shitty jap-pop songs, or whatever. I don't even know, nor care.

GUITAR HERO 4 LIFE
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 12:48:36 AM »
3 buttons though. And shitty jap-pop songs, or whatever. I don't even know, nor care.

GUITAR HERO 4 LIFE

Himuowned :-*

Himu

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 12:57:03 AM »
The songs don't matter at all. The main concept still came before Guitar Hero.

Himuowned and yet you never heard of Guitar Freaks before my post, eh?
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 01:00:21 AM »
I've heard of it, but I just never considered it the same as Guitar Hero, which takes the idea and expands it in every way lolz

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 01:04:53 AM »
I've heard of it, but I just never considered it the same as Guitar Hero, which takes the idea and expands it in every way lolz
Pretty much what PD just said.

I wonder why Guitar Hero is such a hit while Guitar Freaks never was.  (at least in America) ::)
AMC

Himu

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 01:09:08 AM »
Because it was an arcade based game mostly. Still doesn't mean it's not innovative.

IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 01:11:51 AM »
Because it was an arcade based game mostly. Still doesn't mean it's not innovative.

Oh yea, I'll give you that. Actually, I'll agree with your original point ripping on PD, haha. But Guitar Hero has taken the formula to a higher level. 5 buttons is MUCH better than 3. I can't even imagine a guitar game with only three buttons because of GH.

And I got to play Motorstorm at a local Best Buy the night before PS3 released...and I have to say I actually enjoyed playing Excite Truck more. And I didn't even find Excite Truck that great either. Motorstorm seemed pretty slow and the Sixaxis just didn't respond as well as the Wiimote.
AMC

Himu

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 01:13:42 AM »
I haven't played a ps3 yet.

Sixaxis seems gay to me
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 01:15:42 AM »
I actually didn't expect them to have a PS3 kiosk, I was just there to get my store credit for Destroy All Humans 2. Motorstorm was just weak. And the graphics didn't really WOW me, either. As much as I rip on the idea of a Wiimote at times, at least Nintendo went all-out with it. Sony tacked that shit on at the end and it showed when I played it.
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 01:17:02 AM »

Oh yea, I'll give you that. Actually, I'll agree with your original point ripping on PD, haha. But Guitar Hero has taken the formula to a higher level. 5 buttons is MUCH better than 3. I can't even imagine a guitar game with only three buttons because of GH.

And I got to play Motorstorm at a local Best Buy the night before PS3 released...and I have to say I actually enjoyed playing Excite Truck more. And I didn't even find Excite Truck that great either. Motorstorm seemed pretty slow and the Sixaxis just didn't respond as well as the Wiimote.

WTF Cajole :lol

Himu

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 01:19:39 AM »
I still haven't even gotten my Destroy All Humans 2  :-\
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 01:23:19 AM »

WTF Cajole :lol
Well it's not innovative! :P

At least Himuro had a valid reason for bringing up Guitar Freaks. Some people over at GAF used to bring it up in Guitar Hero threads just to be fucking fegs.
AMC

Himu

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 01:25:55 AM »
Guitar Hero is AWESOME from what I've played at best buy the other day, but innovative? naw.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2006, 01:26:55 AM »
PLEASE MAKE A DRUM HERO. PLEASE. PLEASE PLEASELEASE
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2006, 01:28:02 AM »
Irrelevent to the fact that Excite Truck sucks

etiolate

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2006, 01:39:02 AM »
PD just give up the schtick.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2006, 01:44:51 AM »
Irrelevent to the fact that Excite Truck sucks

etiolate

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2006, 01:48:23 AM »
not when your opinion is part of the schtick

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2006, 01:49:11 AM »
I have no idea what you're talking about. It's certainly not my fault Excite Truck sucks ???

Itch

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2006, 04:15:32 AM »
Without Zelda the Wii is DOA. Come on, don't front like a punk ass fanboy and pretend to believe Nintendo's bullshit about innovation and graphics.
esq

pollo

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2006, 08:06:35 AM »
PD you need to stop trying to get accepted to the Drinky/MAF/Triumph clique of nintendo haters. Its pathetic.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2006, 01:24:30 PM »
Excite Truck sucks and it's my fault :lol

I like the Wii I suppose, but my first play of it was not impressive at all. I'm sure Zelda, Wii Sports, and...Zelda much better

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2006, 01:33:08 PM »
Im a nintendo hater? I own a GBA SP, like 20 GBA games a DS Lite and maybe 12 DS games.

Just cause I dont wanna waggle a stick in front of me like a fucking moron doesnt make me a nintend hater. It makes me sensible.
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2006, 01:40:00 PM »
I wouldn't go that far, but I do find it quite disturbing that Nintendo fans feel the urge to call anyone who criticizes their wonderful company "pathetic". As Luke from 1UP said, if you guys stopped sucking Nintendo shriveled dick at every oppurtunity (be it rehashes, re-releases, or console re-vamps) maybe they would actually work harder at making solid products. If XBLA featured just a bunch of classic games with no additions, no one would be buying that stuff; instead developers have opted to fix up the games, include co-op, HD support, etc. Nintendo is content to just re-release their stuff for the 1000th time without any additions because their fans couldn't care less.

Get your hands out Nintendo's pocket and think for yourself idiots. The entire industry has moved on, and it's time for you to do the same