Author Topic: YOUR Irrational Fears  (Read 2806 times)

Greatness Gone

YOUR Irrational Fears
« on: August 18, 2008, 03:57:19 AM »
I need to look behind my shower curtains before I take a shit. I'm afraid that a serial killer, dead body, huge fucking spider or rapist is in my shower or something. You just never know.

And after I find a spider in my bathroom, I have to put, like, my whole head in my toilet and look around to make sure that none of those creepy bitches crawl up my butt and lay eggs or something in it.

Tristam

Re: YOUR Irrational Fears
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:14:17 AM »
I used to be deathly afraid of thunderstorms but now I absolutely love them, especially before it rains. I love the smell and the heaviness of the air -- plus the lightning shows are always a spectacle. I live in the Midwest so I'm in a prime position to enjoy them, too

I used to be really afraid of spiders and now I guess I still am, especially if I see one on the ceiling and I can't easily kill it. When I see a spider I go COMPLETELY overkill -- my apartment doesn't have very strong walls and I've put a couple cracks in them because I've smashed my palm into the wall so hard in killing a spider.

I've looked up stranger phobias to see if I had any of them. There's the fear of nothingness, which I think is called kenophobia, and sometimes I'll think about it for hours because it's so incomprehensible trying to imagine it -- trying to imagine that I'll never imagine anything again.

Powerslave

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 08:39:35 AM »
becoming gay

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »
I have a really strange feeling that right now my life is just an illusion and some day I'm going to wake up, as me as a kid, with a paramedic standing over me and a big gash on my head.  That scares me.  Does that count?

cool breeze

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 09:13:29 AM »
Clowns.  Directly in front of my bed is door way, and sometimes I would wake up and imagine seeing a clown leaning and watching me and I turn on my light.  I blame the movie It from when I was younger.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 09:53:29 AM »
Heights... well, maybe it's not so irrational.
^_^

Tucah

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 10:33:09 AM »
Spiders. I always have the image of a huge one just crawling on my pillow or head in the middle of the night.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:42:06 AM »
Being "that guy". You know, the one you read about in the paper who got himself killed for something really stupid.
©ZH

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:59:37 AM »
that some how all the people i hate on gaf and people i'd hate if i knew they existed on oa would somehow make their way to eb.
Tonya

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 12:02:33 PM »
I'm really claustrophobic, and I also have kinda bad hearing and freak out in places with large crowds or bars with loud music when I can't hear other people speak.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 12:06:40 PM »
and I also have kinda bad hearing and freak out in places with large crowds or bars with loud music when I can't hear other people speak.

Me too.  I always thought this was a major cause of my social anxiety.  I hate having to nod my head with a smile just because I don't want to have some one repeat something for the fourth time.   :(

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 12:08:47 PM »
I used to try and put up with it, but these days I just think, fuck this, and go home.

Powerslave

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 12:42:18 PM »
that some how all the people i hate on gaf and people i'd hate if i knew they existed on oa would somehow make their way to eb.

Already happening

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 12:45:17 PM »
videogame warz!!

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 12:40:31 AM »
myself
Crm

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 12:41:46 AM »
AMC

Jabberwocky

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 12:47:59 AM »
Confession... I sleep with a lit candle every night because I've seen to many [fake] Japanese ghost videos on Youtube. Scared the crap out of me and scarred me for life. :(

8)

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 01:01:32 AM »
I saw it on a TV show once where contestants had to go through a cave and squeeze through this tiny hole that was submerged.  I did a quick paint to illustrate:

That's some scary shit to me.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 03:12:52 AM »
Dying anti-climactically, or in my sleep.
SRY

Robo

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 03:25:33 AM »
I've looked up stranger phobias to see if I had any of them. There's the fear of nothingness, which I think is called kenophobia, and sometimes I'll think about it for hours because it's so incomprehensible trying to imagine it -- trying to imagine that I'll never imagine anything again.

I used to have this something awful when I was younger and would stay up for days and days working it over in my head.  It's not troubling to think about anymore -- I'm considerably more fatalistic these days.

I don't really have any fears so much as I have nasty fits of irrational paranoia, usually involving my personal health or safety.
obo

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 05:12:11 AM »
I saw it on a TV show once where contestants had to go through a cave and squeeze through this tiny hole that was submerged.  I did a quick paint to illustrate:

(Image removed from quote.)

holy fuck, that is like my worst nightmare

Greatness Gone

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 05:16:04 AM »

That's not an irrational fear. That's fucking horrible.

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 05:28:42 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Powerslave

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 10:17:02 AM »

Tiny holes and small pipes are a horrible thought. Imagine being trapped in one.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 10:37:36 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Man, the skin looks so strange.
SRY

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 11:05:33 AM »
Snails.

I've been like this since I was a kid. It's not as much a fear as is it is a deep revulsion, but I get shivers down my spine whenever I see a snail, and I haven't been able to bring myself to touch one.

I have no problem with slugs though, and I really like sea snails.

Tauntaun's remedy for phobia:  Put whatever you fear the most on your dick. :tophat
:)

Lone

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 12:19:27 PM »
Heights (except when in an airplane oddly enough) and Spiders.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »
Heights

Also, I was really scared for a long time about dying in my sleep.  It set in shortly after my grandpa died in his sleep.  It took me a few years to get over.

Tauntaun

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 12:54:58 PM »

Go stand on top of a ladder with a spider on your dick.  DO IT!

Lone

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 02:58:03 PM »

Can I do that while on fire, and being shot too?  SWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEET :kylielaff

Tauntaun

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »

Can I do that while on fire, and being shot too?  SWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEET :kylielaff

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 06:32:25 PM »
Sexual contact/tension
AMC

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 07:30:44 PM »

looks fun as hell to me, but I don't think anybody is gonna challenge me to climb into a tiny hole at any point in my life.
SRY

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 07:47:25 PM »
Cotton balls
🍆🍆

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 06:57:59 PM »
A lot of you guys have listed just "heights," and then aren't clear on whether or not it counts.

If you are on a tall building's roof and standing near the edge, and a wind comes by and nearly flings you off the fucking thing, and you think, "Oh, that was scary," you're not acrophobic, you're normal. OTOH, if you step onto the roof and are in the dead middle of it, and suddenly expect that the building will twitch or an earthquake will come and toss you down, or that you might trip and stumble the 27 steps needed to reach the edge of the building and THEN fall, well that's probably an irrational fear. Maybe.

Tristam

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 11:53:03 PM »
A lot of you guys have listed just "heights," and then aren't clear on whether or not it counts.

If you are on a tall building's roof and standing near the edge, and a wind comes by and nearly flings you off the fucking thing, and you think, "Oh, that was scary," you're not acrophobic, you're normal. OTOH, if you step onto the roof and are in the dead middle of it, and suddenly expect that the building will twitch or an earthquake will come and toss you down, or that you might trip and stumble the 27 steps needed to reach the edge of the building and THEN fall, well that's probably an irrational fear. Maybe.

Man, I feel a lot better now. I was thinking about listing heights because I was imagining that I'd be scared if I were on top of a narrow beam a couple thousand feet in the air. Because if I were afraid of heights I'd feel like a wuss.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 12:49:10 AM »

Man, I feel a lot better now. I was thinking about listing heights because I was imagining that I'd be scared if I were on top of a narrow beam a couple thousand feet in the air. Because if I were afraid of heights I'd feel like a wuss.

?

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:50:59 AM by Raban »
SRY

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 01:04:26 AM »

If I think about being on a high place, my palms start to get sweaty and my breath quickens.

I went here once, but it made me  :-\
©@©™

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 01:09:11 AM »
I'm afraid of failure. Too bad I've probably already reached it.

HLR

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2008, 01:15:26 AM »
Then it's time to embrace it.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 01:49:35 AM »
Why are people so spooked out by heights? It's such an irrational fear. Just because you have a fear of tall buildings doesn't mean the second you get on them the odds are tipped horrifically against you and it'll collapse or you'll fall from the roof. The chances of extremely tall buildings or structures located high above ground simply falling apart from some random miscalculation or stress over years is preposterous. There are bridges in a nearby town that have existed for longer than 200 years, and cars still drive over them at top speed today. Granted, they're smaller, but they're surveyed and kept in check just as much as ones that are extremely massive.
SRY

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 02:14:56 AM »
i'm afraid of men covered from top to bottom in cotton balls.
nat

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 03:01:25 AM »
Then it's time to embrace it.

Well, I think I might have got kicked out of college due to the fact that I haven't responded to my email in three months. At this point, I will just claim I did it on purpose rather than out of apathy, get a job at a GameStop and reapply to somewhere that I'm not totally miserable at.

I am not afraid of poverty, luckily
HLR