Author Topic: You know what, this is bullshit  (Read 5935 times)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Re: You know what, this is bullshit
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2008, 05:38:44 PM »
i thought duckman made it pretty clear he doesn't like haze ??? ???
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2008, 05:43:10 PM »
dinging him for his caveat-laden haze hype is getting old, and besides, he's slowly becoming one of the saner sonyboys around here

on a more related note, i have a buyer for my wii :hyper
duc

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2008, 05:47:38 PM »
dinging him for his caveat-laden haze hype is getting old, and besides, he's slowly becoming one of the saner sonyboys around here

Buy one of these for your daughter instead.  I saw a little cousin playing it and it's pretty impressive for $90.  Plus, kids get to learn while playing games. 

http://www.leapfrog.com/en/families/didj/didj_customized_gaming/didj.html

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2008, 05:48:12 PM »

"D-daddy, I wanted to play Dog Island for my birthday, where is the videogame machine.  :bawl"
wtc

cool breeze

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2008, 05:50:26 PM »

Buy one of these for your daughter instead.  I saw a little cousin playing it and it's pretty impressive for $90.  Plus, kids get to learn while playing games. 

That looks like it would be something small, but checking out a video on it (), it is actually massive.

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2008, 05:50:51 PM »
When you make statements like that, with a history of liking the stuff that you like (need we bring up Haze again?), then it doesn't take too much difficulty to understand why someone would call you out.

By all means, bring up Haze, everyone else who have jack shit worth of real arguments do. That was a game that I was initially excited about, when it was little more than a fleeting preview and some apparently good ideas for pushing the boundaries of that particular genre. The more that was shown of the game, the less interested I became. After I played the demo and seeing first hand exactly how badly the developer had failed, it got disowned. And I can't recall ever saying that I enjoyed the game. Or hell, even played it. Another swing, another miss.

Yet the most remarkable achievement here is that, for all your attempts at deflection, you've done absolutely nothing to refute anything that I've said about Zelda. Does Ratchet's lack of recent evolution somehow make Zelda less of an old fart? Or does it somehow ease the pain to consider that it's not the only franchise that is critically stagnant? Well then, thank god for good developers like Lionhead, huh?

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2008, 05:51:41 PM »

That looks like it would be something small, but checking out a video on it (), it is actually massive.

It is pretty big but I think it's intentional so that kids won't break it as easily. 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2008, 05:53:28 PM »
What exactly was Haze pushing the boundaries of when it was just innocent previews? :lol
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2008, 05:53:44 PM »

It is pretty big but I think it's intentional so that kids won't break it as easily. 

That is true.  Plus it has Sonic for it.

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2008, 05:54:12 PM »
What exactly was Haze pushing the boundaries of when it was just innocent previews? :lol

thatched-roof huts
waterfalls
yellow visors
wtc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2008, 05:56:19 PM »
free radical made the awesome timesplitters 2 & 3 titles. i was a bit pumped for haze when it was announced, too.
duc

cool breeze

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2008, 05:57:16 PM »
The first Timesplitters was also fun.  Co-op was awesome.

duckman2000

« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2008, 06:03:27 PM »

I can't find the preview that set-off the internal hype machine, but it was around E3 2006, when it was shown behind closed doors. And then there was a lot of talk about delivering a less straight forward interpretation of war than what you get from for example Clancy games, "thought provoking content" (Heartland-style) and subsequent discussions with members of the dev team at the official forum that led me to believe that they had some really good ideas. And hey, even without any of that, developer pedigree guaranteed that it would at least be a functional FPS, right?

Then they showed the game, and everything went downhill from there on.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:05:30 PM by duckman2000 »

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2008, 06:12:22 PM »
haze's fault was the fact that it was an exclusive, so the ps3 fanboys took it and championed it, scouring every screenshot for some sign of fundamental technical excellence that could be used against the hated 360. as a result, it got way more attention than was warranted, and far more hopes -- not necessarily yours, aa -- were pinned on it, which started up the good ol' intarwebz hype machine.

you know, kinda like killzone 2
duc

Oblivion

« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2008, 06:13:04 PM »
When you make statements like that, with a history of liking the stuff that you like (need we bring up Haze again?), then it doesn't take too much difficulty to understand why someone would call you out.
Yet the most remarkable achievement here is that, for all your attempts at deflection, you've done absolutely nothing to refute anything that I've said about Zelda. Does Ratchet's lack of recent evolution somehow make Zelda less of an old fart? Or does it somehow ease the pain to consider that it's not the only franchise that is critically stagnant? Well then, thank god for good developers like Lionhead, huh?

1. I was mainly taking issue with the 'irrelevant' comment, since unlike token words like 'generic', 'cliche', 'bad art' and the like, you can't weasel your way out of with the 'bububu is my opinion!' shield.

2. I COULD argue how each Zelda was fairly unique gameplay wise (aside from the obvious staples like dungeons, etc.), but I think it would be a waste of time since you've already decided, and will fight back with 'bobobo ganon, save the world, etc.'. I also think that most sequels don't really change that much to begin with, and would even go further saying Zelda actually takes too many chances (many of which I wish they didn't, admittedly).

Tabasco

« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »
Wasn't the Haze hype in parallel to Brimstone and Shadowrun?  You Sony guys kept making threads about those games and his sins were visited on you.

If Free Radical is really making the next SW Battlefront game, I hope that they've learned some lessons.  Haze's vehicles segments were it's weakest parts, and Battlefront is a vehicle heavy game.  I don't recall vehicles in TS 1 or 2, so they've never really done vehicles properly.

cool breeze

« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2008, 06:25:37 PM »
I think that Brimstone guy actually liked Shadowrun.  And it helps that Shadowrun is a good game.

« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2008, 06:26:01 PM »

"D-daddy, I wanted to play Dog Island for my birthday, where is the videogame machine.  :bawl"
:lol
Crm

duckman2000

« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2008, 06:40:28 PM »
haze's fault was the fact that it was an exclusive, so the ps3 fanboys took it and championed it, scouring every screenshot for some sign of fundamental technical excellence that could be used against the hated 360. as a result, it got way more attention than was warranted, and far more hopes -- not necessarily yours, aa -- were pinned on it, which started up the good ol' intarwebz hype machine.

Yeah, and that was really bloody annoying too. I think it was during UbiDays that the whole exclusivity shit began to unravel, and it was fucking pathetic watching certain people become gradually excited about the game as word of possible exclusivity slowly leaked out. So many fanboys had, of course, been excited about the game all along.

Granted that it may seem like a blessing now, but that was also pretty big dick move by Ubisoft against those who were anticipating either of the other versions. I know of quite a few dudes without PS3s who felt rather fucked over by that affair, as the project lead had only a few weeks earlier led them to believe that all versions were on-track.

duckman2000

« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2008, 06:43:19 PM »

My kid was actually asking to play her Spongebob game today, and that's when she realized the Wii was gone. Lesson learned: if you're going to secretly ditch something like that, make sure to remove all traces of it, including games.  :duh