Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 685182 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #720 on: August 28, 2010, 03:41:53 PM »
I've been debating on whether or not to pick up Kraken. I could go for some weird fiction, but the reviews weren't exactly stellar.
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #721 on: August 28, 2010, 07:19:55 PM »
I finally started Perdido Street Station a few days ago.  I had enough people tell me to read and enough people tell me not to read it that my interest was thoroughly piqued.  So far, so good, except China Mieville sure likes to use big words when completely inappropriate.  A word that means "sleight-of-hand" that is actually longer than sleight-of-hand?  Fuck you!

prestidigitation, by any chance?

hope i spelled that correctly, not often you have a chance to bust that one out. Which is of course why China did it.

I'm way behind on Mieville, like everything else....I have Un Lun Dun in paperback and The City and The City on Kindle to get through before I even think about Kraken.
vjj

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #722 on: August 28, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »
You should try The City & the City. I haven't read beyond the first few chapters yet, but so far it has about 70% less obnoxious prose affectation than the usual Mieville. Still  :heart all his stuff though.

I'm reading
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 07:31:00 PM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #723 on: August 28, 2010, 07:46:13 PM »
that's the one.  I wanted to reach through the page and back in time and punch him in the face as he was writing it.

it's a cool word though! Never use 3 words when 1 will do, basic tenet of good writing.
vjj

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #724 on: August 28, 2010, 07:49:58 PM »
that's the one.  I wanted to reach through the page and back in time and punch him in the face as he was writing it.

it's a cool word though!

Agreed. I think you're wrong on this one, Cohen.
©@©™

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #725 on: August 28, 2010, 09:50:16 PM »
Listened to the audio book of The Warded Man on the way to Arizona.  Really dug it.  Gotta get the second book and read that.
:)

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #726 on: August 30, 2010, 12:44:14 PM »
I'm reading The Three Musketeers. So far it's really going against my personal stereotype of boring old literature...Alexandre Dumas really does have a sense of humor sometimes. It's really a riot when I'm reading a line and catching it.  :D

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #727 on: August 30, 2010, 06:50:16 PM »
I'm reading The Three Musketeers. So far it's really going against my personal stereotype of boring old literature...Alexandre Dumas really does have a sense of humor sometimes. It's really a riot when I'm reading a line and catching it.  :D

Are you reading it in something other than your native language? I find when I understand a joke in Japanese that I laugh more unexpectedly than an equivalently funny joke in English. It's like the humor catches me off guard.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #728 on: August 30, 2010, 06:54:29 PM »
You should try The City & the City. I haven't read beyond the first few chapters yet, but so far it has about 70% less obnoxious prose affectation than the usual Mieville. Still  :heart all his stuff though.

The City & The City is his best work by a good green country mile.

The City & The City >>> The Scar > Perdido Street >> Iron Council >>>> King Rat
乱学者

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #729 on: September 04, 2010, 10:53:56 AM »

Just ordered it for a fucking €25  :lol
I hope it's any good!

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #730 on: September 04, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »
I just finished reading it this week. I liked it.
©@©™

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #731 on: September 05, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I hope it's any good!

$10 on Kindle!
vjj

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #732 on: September 05, 2010, 10:52:50 PM »
About The Passage, I enjoyed it, it was a great ride. But...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
...the ending was kinda shite. I was hoping that (a) we'd find out more about Amy (she was obviously "different" even before the virus) and why the army needed her for the experiment, and (b) that there would some kind of awesome final battle against Babcock. Instead we got (c) a magical negro with a tactical nuke. And then there was yet another "This person is dead...OH WAIT NO THEY'RE NOT!" with Alicia get saved by a negro ex machina. Half of the main characters (apparently) died during an epilogue, but they'll probably turn out to still be alive too.
[close]
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #733 on: September 06, 2010, 08:02:26 AM »

I hope it's any good!

$10 on Kindle!

So... with the kindle, only a total of 149USD!

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #734 on: September 07, 2010, 10:17:30 PM »
©@©™

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #735 on: September 08, 2010, 10:27:24 AM »
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #736 on: September 08, 2010, 11:57:42 AM »
You co-sign the series? I keep hearing good things about it, and want to start a short fantasy series before ADWD (lol  :'() comes out

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #737 on: September 08, 2010, 01:21:23 PM »
halfway through Cloud Atlas OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDD. It is Calvino 2: Hypercalvino

Also I hate Inception even more, now
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #738 on: September 08, 2010, 01:36:03 PM »
yeah, at this point it's all foreplay, but my God, what foreplay

Exact progress: I am currently

about to start the sixth and "center" section.
[close]

The author is clearly just showing off in a lot of ways, but he has certainly earned it. But yes, fuck Inception and its shitty nested dream worlds that are made of ASS AND POO.

PSS is pretty good, it does read like "I am 24-years-old and on fire and must put every idea I've ever had in this book." But it's still pretty good. Really looking forward to your thoughts on The City & The City!
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #739 on: September 08, 2010, 01:52:05 PM »
You co-sign the series? I keep hearing good things about it, and want to start a short fantasy series before ADWD (lol  :'() comes out

if you want a good short fantasy series (about 2k total pages) read KJ Parker's Engineer trilogy.

Joe Ambercrombie is good in trope reversal and alteration, but his characters are just characters, bound by conventions of genre. 

KJ Parker's characters seem more like real people.

Ambercrombie is entertaining, but I don't know if I'd be reading this book right now if it hadn't been loaned to me.  If you want to dip your toes into Ambercombie, check out the standalone "Best Served Cold." 
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #740 on: September 08, 2010, 09:41:48 PM »
i am reading Bradley's Noise and it's pretty amazing.

Think The Turner Diaries for anarchist D&D nerds.  If you can parse that sentence, buy and read this book.
Tonya

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #741 on: September 09, 2010, 12:39:55 AM »
I feel like I ought to accuse you of some roundabout Godwin violation.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #742 on: September 09, 2010, 10:20:21 AM »
Noise.  I read this in essentially three sittings, though to get the best effect, I feel that it should have been in one.  At the break of the second sitting, when the book's pull was at its strongest for me I stopped because I was tired and falling asleep.

When I returned to the book this morning, the magic, that pull the book exerted onto me was gone.

Earlier I was describing this book as The Turner Diaries for Anarcho D&D Nerds and that's wrong, though at my place in the novel, it was a fitting description.

Here's the conceit of the novel.

When the switchover to digital TV happens, the FCC decomissioned the old airwaves which were given over to citizen band broadcasting.  Basically turning the air waves into Public Access television.  Those channels were taken up by people who foresee a coming collapse of American society and they are trying to inform as many people of how to survive what's coming, turning society into the prepared, called Salvage, and the unprepared.

Salvage is not an organization but rather a collection of in-the-know groups who will self govern based on The Book, which is a survivor society meme, broadcast and retransmitted and altered; added to and subtracted from by each individual cell and broadcaster to make The Book their own.

Noise is about two young men out of college who are involved with Salvage but only as consumers who are using self-determination to carry out their own interpretation of The Book and get to their Place.

Place is kind of a rough concept, but it's essentially where the individual groups will make their own homes post-Event.

I'm hesitant to say much more because this is such a short book that I don't want to rob the narrative of any of its power, and while by the end of the book I wasn't as high on the concepts and conceits as I was at the beginning, I can't deny that this slim volume isn't powerful.

At least to me.

Included in the book is a seven page author interview which addresses some issues I had with the narrative presented.  The author is aware of many issues with the narrative presented, and as the novel is in first person, there is a very strong desire to paint author voice and character voice as being very similar, but the interview does much to dispel that.

In short; read Darin Bradley's Noise.
Tonya

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #743 on: September 09, 2010, 11:32:37 AM »

I hope it's any good!

Awesome book, bro.
©@©™

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #744 on: September 09, 2010, 12:24:31 PM »
Noise sounds good, I'll check it out.
乱学者

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #745 on: September 14, 2010, 07:32:16 AM »

I hope it's any good!

Awesome book, bro.

The Dutch version has 994 pages. Currently on page 851.
I'll probably finish the book today...

Pretty awesome book so far. It's never really scary though.

Only the Las Vegas part was a bit tense.
[close]

But I like the characters.

So, this is going to be a trilogy? WTF? Are they going across the border in the next book or what.
This book sometimes remnds me of King's "The Stand".
Del Toro's "The Strain" was scarier imo. But I like The Passage more so far.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:36:30 AM by Third »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #746 on: September 14, 2010, 09:53:05 AM »
I'm about 30 pages into 

having just wrapped

Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #747 on: September 14, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »
ERIC P BAIT

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Trailer (?!) for Quirk Books' latest crime against honor and humanity

Star Trek x Zombies = Night of the Living Trekkies
[close]
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #748 on: September 14, 2010, 01:13:22 PM »
i have seen the future of horror and it's fucking zombie books. -stephen king

Tonya

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #749 on: September 14, 2010, 01:38:35 PM »
Just about done with "The Next 100 Years". It's an OK book but it's very vague and general.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #750 on: September 14, 2010, 04:44:58 PM »
ERIC P BAIT

[close]

It was kinda funny at first (not really) but now   ::)
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #751 on: September 14, 2010, 05:23:57 PM »
Finished reading Freedom. The main theme seems to be that human beings are generally a shitty race of people, and that even normal, seemingly well-adjusted people can still at times do and say shitty things to people they love and care about, and these people in turn behave shittily towards other people, until there's a giant snowball of shit rolling around and causing a huge shitstorm that shits all over the place until everything is all shitted up beyond all recognition. But then maybe, just maybe, at the very end there's a tiny chance for a small piece of redemption. If the planet itself hasn't been completely shat on by then, and we're all dead.
©@©™

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #752 on: September 14, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »
Finished reading Freedom. The main theme seems to be that human beings are generally a shitty race of people, and that even normal, seemingly well-adjusted people can still at times do and say shitty things to people they love and care about, and these people in turn behave shittily towards other people, until there's a giant snowball of shit rolling around and causing a huge shitstorm that shits all over the place until everything is all shitted up beyond all recognition. But then maybe, just maybe, at the very end there's a tiny chance for a small piece of redemption. If the planet itself hasn't been completely shat on by then, and we're all dead.
sounds like my type of book

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #753 on: September 14, 2010, 09:57:45 PM »
Everything Matters! is depressing as all hell.

Everyone in the book is damaged either internally or externally

it's like listening to every Smiths song ever written sung by Ian Curtis backed by Depeche Mode being remixed by The Cure
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #754 on: September 15, 2010, 07:18:57 AM »
you're right i probably could
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #755 on: September 16, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »
Finished Cloud Atlas!

[close]
乱学者

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #756 on: September 16, 2010, 07:35:05 PM »

To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another.
©@©™

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #757 on: September 16, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »
i requested that through my library.  looking forward to it.

I'm currently reading The Windup Girl
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #758 on: September 16, 2010, 09:15:58 PM »
Can't wait for the Ron Howard adaption of that book

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #759 on: September 17, 2010, 12:12:05 AM »
Can't wait for the Ron Howard adaption of that book

:fbm
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #760 on: September 17, 2010, 12:26:48 PM »
ERIC P BAIT

[close]

Call me an idiot, but I like the idea of movie trailers for books. Well, some books. Like this.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #761 on: September 17, 2010, 01:25:14 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Tonoharu-Part-One-Lars-Martinson/dp/0980102324/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284743916&sr=8-1

Tonoharu: Part One

Comic about a junior high school Assistant English Teacher on the JET program, and the only foreigner in his town in rural Japan. As someone who was one of five foreigners in his rural town in Japan (and hated the other four), it was dangerously easy to relate. Very good, but not much happens in this first volume. Unless (like me) you have a strong connection to the material, I would wait for Parts Two and Three to come out (December 2010 and Summer 2011) before checking it out.

A Drunken Dream and other stories

Moto Hagio basically invented SF Shojo manga in the 1970s - she's writes and draws like a gauzy Ursula K. LeGuin. This collection more-or-less doubles the amount of her work available in English. Also, it's Fantagraphics debut title for their manga imprint, and the presentation is AMAZING. 60% bigger than most manga collections, hardcover, gold foil highlights, super high-quality paper, and a 20-page interview with the author (reprinted from a previous Comics Journal). Definitely a must-buy if it sounds like your sort of thing.
乱学者

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #762 on: September 17, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »
The man in the high castle.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #763 on: September 17, 2010, 01:45:10 PM »
The man in the high castle.

Awesome book.  :heartbeat
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #764 on: September 19, 2010, 08:53:54 PM »

Why does Skippy, a fourteen-year-old boy at Dublin’s venerable Seabrook College, end up dead on the floor of the local doughnut shop?

Could it have something to do with his friend Ruprecht Van Doren, an overweight genius who is determined to open a portal into a parallel universe using ten-dimensional string theory?

Could it involve Carl, the teenage drug dealer and borderline psychotic who is Skippy’s rival in love?

Or could “the Automator”—the ruthless, smooth-talking headmaster intent on modernizing the school—have something to hide?

Why Skippy dies and what happens next is the subject of this dazzling and uproarious novel, unraveling a mystery that links the boys of Seabrook College to their parents and teachers in ways nobody could have imagined. With a cast of characters that ranges from hip-hop-loving fourteen-year-old Eoin “MC Sexecutioner” Flynn to basketball playing midget Philip Kilfether, packed with questions and answers on everything from Ritalin, to M-theory, to bungee jumping, to the hidden meaning of the poetry of Robert Frost, Skippy Dies is a heartfelt, hilarious portrait of the pain, joy, and occasional beauty of adolescence, and a tragic depiction of a world always happy to sacrifice its weakest members.
©@©™

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #765 on: September 21, 2010, 09:54:27 AM »
finished The Windup Girl and didn't really like the end.

oh shit, i'm writing a science fiction novel.  time for battles! "pew pew.  viva la impromptu revolution." needed about 50 pages to flesh out the tensions so that when everything erupts it doesn't seemingly come from nowhere.
[close]
Tonya

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #766 on: September 22, 2010, 11:27:26 PM »
"Skippy Dies" is and awesome book. At one point during a school sock hop, someone spikes the punch with rohypnol, and while the chaperones step out for a bit of the ol' in-and-out themselves, the dance hall descends into a roman orgy. Then later they create a black hole. Not during the orgy, though.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #767 on: September 23, 2010, 10:37:57 PM »
A Game of Thrones

I've been putting it off for a long time, but with the series coming soon I decided that I really need to get around to reading it.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #768 on: September 23, 2010, 10:46:43 PM »
my nikka :rock

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #769 on: September 24, 2010, 08:31:14 AM »
I sport several simultaneous boners for Vernor Vinge. DEEPNESS is an excellent work, though I read A Fire Upon the Deep prior to it so may enjoy the main character a little more. Deepness is one of the most subversive treatises on middle management I've ever read.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #770 on: September 26, 2010, 12:33:52 AM »

I loved the first book, I hope this one is as good.
©@©™

etiolate

« Reply #771 on: September 26, 2010, 12:46:23 AM »
alrighty, recently picked up books

Skidmark

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #773 on: September 30, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »

The Japanese covers for Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon, lololol. Tempted to buy this for the sheer wtf of it all.

compare with the UK versions -

Still probably better than the unspeakably awful US one:

vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #774 on: September 30, 2010, 11:39:11 PM »
No lie, the main reason I haven't bought GoTM is because of the medivel romance cover  :-\

aaand i heard it's a jumbled cast of super heroes killing tons of enemies and lots of random shit thrown everywhere
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #775 on: October 01, 2010, 12:22:14 AM »
Reading some more A Game of Thrones. I'm now at the part where

Eddard is forced to kill Lady [Sansa's direwolf] and that part really made me mad. It also pretty much solidified the fact that Tyrion is the only Lannister worth spitting on.
[close]
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #776 on: October 01, 2010, 08:07:44 AM »
No lie, the main reason I haven't bought GoTM is because of the medivel romance cover  :-\

aaand i heard it's a jumbled cast of super heroes killing tons of enemies and lots of random shit thrown everywhere
[close]

It's pretty much a reasonable human drama, with a couple high-powered battles thrown in for OH SHIT value, where they succeed in delivering OH SHIT moments. There is, IIRC, not a lick of super-heroism or romance in the entire thing.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #777 on: October 01, 2010, 08:38:44 AM »
Plenty of romance crops up later but I can see the superhero thing. More like super high level D'n'D characters really, since that was the genesis of the whole mess. Erikson and Esselmont played a campaign for years and years until they had developed so much backstory they just decided to try turning it into novels. Once you realize that, it becomes a lot more meta-fictionally interesting.
vjj

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #778 on: October 01, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »
Just about to start on:

©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #779 on: October 01, 2010, 08:43:29 PM »
Plenty of romance crops up later but I can see the superhero thing. More like super high level D'n'D characters really, since that was the genesis of the whole mess. Erikson and Esselmont played a campaign for years and years until they had developed so much backstory they just decided to try turning it into novels. Once you realize that, it becomes a lot more meta-fictionally interesting.

Hm, OK. But we were just talking about GotM, which is the only thing I've read by him so far. Which is about to change, since I've got one more fat book by him now.

Thanks for the info on the DnD campaign. Oddly, things make more sense now.