Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 691809 times)

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #2280 on: October 16, 2014, 06:54:20 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

really liked iron curtain when i read it a bit ago.

Tonya

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2281 on: October 16, 2014, 08:14:31 AM »
Talk about poppin boners over Chief Justice Hughes brehs (the other recent book on this topic is even worse)

But that mustache doe :drool
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2282 on: October 22, 2014, 03:23:11 AM »
I wonder how many reviews of Sleepwalkers used the obvious putdown. The first third of the book feels like a day by day history of Serbia between 1901 and Franz Ferdinand's shooting. After that it involves the rest of Europe but I feel like I've read this whole "diplomats were dicks so they fucked things up" version before. Iron Curtain makes me wish there was a Democracy/Civ hybrid that let me do the things that happened during this like try and reform Communism and then be crushed and/or crush the revisionists with tanks. With FPS multiplayer obviously.

Saw this by accident, Library has e-book available so I guess I gotta read it now or get kicked out of the club*:

James Scott taught us what's wrong with seeing like a state. Now, in his most accessible and personal book to date, the acclaimed social scientist makes the case for seeing like an anarchist. Inspired by the core anarchist faith in the possibilities of voluntary cooperation without hierarchy, Two Cheers for Anarchism is an engaging, high-spirited, and often very funny defense of an anarchist way of seeing--one that provides a unique and powerful perspective on everything from everyday social and political interactions to mass protests and revolutions. Through a wide-ranging series of memorable anecdotes and examples, the book describes an anarchist sensibility that celebrates the local knowledge, common sense, and creativity of ordinary people. The result is a kind of handbook on constructive anarchism that challenges us to radically reconsider the value of hierarchy in public and private life, from schools and workplaces to retirement homes and government itself.

Beginning with what Scott calls "the law of anarchist calisthenics," an argument for law-breaking inspired by an East German pedestrian crossing, each chapter opens with a story that captures an essential anarchist truth. In the course of telling these stories, Scott touches on a wide variety of subjects: public disorder and riots, desertion, poaching, vernacular knowledge, assembly-line production, globalization, the petty bourgeoisie, school testing, playgrounds, and the practice of historical explanation.

Far from a dogmatic manifesto, Two Cheers for Anarchism celebrates the anarchist confidence in the inventiveness and judgment of people who are free to exercise their creative and moral capacities.

The Cato Unbound about this earlier book is probably a bit more interesting than the book itself to someone like me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seeing_Like_a_State
Plus apparently I can just get a strategy guide for it:
John D. Eigenauer wrote a 5,500-word summary of the book in 2004, available online

*Plus the fact that the last thing I read on my Kindle was that Justice League Mortal script like six months ago and have just used it for games and watching Firing Line/Star Trek makes me feel like I'm violating the spirit.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2283 on: October 22, 2014, 10:30:10 AM »
Alright, this is getting ridiculous. I've been 28% done with Storm of Swords for the past few weeks and I no longer have an excuse to not devote some free time to it.

I'm gonna continue reading.....tomorrow  :-\

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2284 on: October 22, 2014, 09:06:32 PM »
benji I p. much always love your book posts. :dead

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2285 on: October 23, 2014, 12:22:40 AM »

damn, yo.
Tonya

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2286 on: October 23, 2014, 12:30:42 AM »
A spectre is haunting America -- the spectre of Capitalism.
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2287 on: October 23, 2014, 12:31:20 AM »
But I thought the spectre haunting Europe was communism.

e: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU JOE

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2288 on: October 23, 2014, 12:35:56 AM »
well the book is about India so....

Also, Joe, I bought Necronomicum...
Tonya

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2289 on: October 25, 2014, 11:31:30 AM »
Gibson’s new book, The Peripheral launches soon.

http://www.motherjones.com/media/2014/10/william-gibson-peripheral-vision-time-travel-interview
MJ: If you could time-travel, which era would you most want to visit?

WG: If could have any information from our future, I would want to know not what they're doing but what they think about us. Because what we think about Victorians is nothing like what the Victorians thought about themselves. It would be a nightmare for them. Everything they thought they were, we think is a joke. And everything that we think was cool about them, they weren't even aware of. I'm sure that the future will view us in exactly that way.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #2290 on: October 25, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »
re-reading jane eyre.
QED

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #2291 on: October 25, 2014, 06:10:28 PM »
Books came!

Second one'll be here next business day (presumably). In the meantime I'll have to amuse myself w/ ecclesiastical shenanigans :lawd.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
and finishing up my last two books because I haven't finished them because I'm an awful human being :stahp
[close]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:20:12 PM by jakefromstatefarm »

benjipwns

« Reply #2292 on: October 30, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2293 on: October 30, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »
I was reading some heavy stuff recently and am about to delve into a book about how slavery propped up (and thus continues to prop up) American capitalism, so I'm taking a light detour through some absolute crap.  I'm reading a book called Bird Box which sounded interesting in review, but the book it actually kind of crap, but it reads fast and is acting a spacing between my series of books on the evils of racism.
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2294 on: October 30, 2014, 01:57:42 PM »
I was reading some heavy stuff recently and am about to delve into a book about how slavery propped up (and thus continues to prop up) American capitalism, so I'm taking a light detour through some absolute crap.  I'm reading a book called Bird Box which sounded interesting in review, but the book it actually kind of crap, but it reads fast and is acting a spacing between my series of books on the evils of racism.

you gonna give us a book title breh? damn.

benjipwns

« Reply #2295 on: October 30, 2014, 02:00:07 PM »
Might be the one The Economist wrote a controversial review about: http://www.amazon.com/The-Half-Never-Been-Told/dp/046500296X

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #2296 on: October 30, 2014, 02:12:07 PM »

This argument never held any water for me. American Capitalism was basically born and thrived most in the free states. The South was a backward agrarian buttfuck backwater.
___

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #2297 on: October 30, 2014, 02:50:24 PM »
Amity Shlaes :kobeyuck
vin

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2298 on: October 30, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »

This argument never held any water for me. American Capitalism was basically born and thrived most in the free states. The South was a backward agrarian buttfuck backwater.

I wonder who profited in keeping it that way.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2299 on: October 30, 2014, 03:21:31 PM »
Actually the south was rolling in dough. How the money was spent is another issue.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #2300 on: October 30, 2014, 03:26:35 PM »
GDP per (non-slave) capita in the South was like half of what it was in the North...
___

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2301 on: October 30, 2014, 03:45:38 PM »
Yeah sorry it is indeed The Half Has Never Been Told
Tonya

Kara

« Reply #2302 on: October 30, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »

It is difficult to engage in primitive accumulation without your economy having a substantial sector that is what we would call peripheral in its character.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2303 on: October 30, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »
Re-reading Naked Lunch, but probably about to detour into William Gibson’s new book, The Peripheral.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2304 on: October 30, 2014, 05:01:07 PM »
GDP per (non-slave) capita in the South was like half of what it was in the North...

:pacspit

benjipwns

« Reply #2305 on: October 30, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
The Real Price of Owning a Slave in 2011 Dollars

Wealth Distribution 1860 - North vs. South

As a group slaveholders were extremely wealthy in the South. Their average wealth in 1860 was $24,748, almost fourteen times greater than that of nonslaveholders ($1,781). They accounted for 26 percent of the white population in 1860 and they owned 93 percent of "agricultural wealth." Historians have emphasized the growing concentration of slaves in the possession of the largest slaveholders. John Boles pointed out that between 1850 and 1860 slaveholders with more than 20 slaves increased from 10 percent of the total slaveholding group to 12 percent. William J. Cooper and Thomas E. Terrill pointed out that these elite 12 percent owned 48 percent of the slaves in the South.
Household wealth: The difference between slaveholders and nonslaveholders appears sharp, perhaps because slaves were counted as personal property and a part of overall household wealth. Almost 60 percent of the slaveholders were valued at more than $10,000 in household wealth, while nearly the same percentage of nonslaveholders were valued at less than $10,000. Other patterns, however, deserve attention. Some nonslaveholders managed to acquire significant wealth: 31.1 percent of them owned between $2,000 and $4,999; 28.1 percent owned between $5,000 and $9,999; 22.4 percent owned between $10,000 and $19,999; and 18.4 percent owned more than $20,000. We have routinely assumed that such large aggregations of wealth must represent the high valuations of personal property in slaves, but this data might make us look more closely at the kind of wealth and property that nonslaveholders accumulated. (Some of these points might be eventually connected to the slaveholders census and might change the data analysis) Other forms of wealth must have existed in greater concentration than expected. In particular, financial instruments, such as bonds and debt agreements, accounted for some individual's personal property wealth. In addition, large holdings of cash may also explain high figures for personal property. Widows with large cash holdings, town professionals--lawyers, merchants, even barbers--accumulated cash and other financial instruments as assets.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2306 on: October 31, 2014, 02:28:59 PM »
Loaded Consumed onto my nook.

©@©™

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2307 on: November 01, 2014, 08:42:45 AM »
I have that checked out from the library but i have so many books out that i'm currently reading shit desperately before it has to be returned.  Currently reading The Troop which is Lord of the Flies meets the Ruin.  Boy scouts trapped on an island with an experimental diet drug that makes you super hungry

shit gon get weird
Tonya

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #2308 on: November 01, 2014, 09:52:13 AM »
Finishing

Which is nice, but there's much material I've seen elsewhere. I think my goddamn year of going through occult and esoteric texts might be over. I know there's a ton of important Crowley shit but his bibliography is like a mile long and from what I read in his forward to The Goetia, I probably wouldn't be able to stomach reading much of him.

Anyway, I still have an assload of Stanislav Lem to get to that I bought on sale ages ago.
serge

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2309 on: November 02, 2014, 02:08:10 PM »
30% done with Storm of Swords

really good so far but I've been neglecting it for like 3 weeks  :goty2

Finally continuing this

The feeling of elation when Dany recieves her 8600 Unsullied and in turn betrays Kraznys by killing him and freeing the slaves only to be followed by the crushing depression of Sansa's rejection of Tyrion both during and after their forced marriage  :stahp
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2310 on: December 02, 2014, 11:11:10 AM »

I haven't read much Barker, but this seems like a good place to start. First story (well, first after the little intro story) was "Midnight Meat Train", which I'd seen the movie of and liked. Second story, "The Yattering and Jack" was about a guy trying his best to pretend he doesn't notice that a demon is haunting his house, and driving the demon nuts in the process. It was pretty good too, and reminded me of one of the few Barker books I have read, Mr. B Gone.

I need to cop The Hellbound Heart next.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:16:12 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

kick51

« Reply #2311 on: December 02, 2014, 12:10:52 PM »
The JG Ballard short story complete collection

great stuff so far, this is the first i've read of him. 

Tasty

« Reply #2312 on: December 02, 2014, 12:35:07 PM »

Picked this up a while ago but just started reading it. On chapter 2 and it seems to alternate between the viewpoint of a villain who's the smartest dude ever, and some cyborg woman hero.

Decent writing so far and I like the idea. Not sure if I should be trying to keep track of the dozens of heroes/villains it keeps introducing so I'm just rolling with it. It's basically a comic book without the comic part, and split between the bad guy and good guy.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2313 on: December 02, 2014, 12:58:35 PM »
The Wallcreeper

this is like try-hard literature.  it combines a ton of references (Ketamine!, Berlin Drum and Bass clubs!) i should like but it just feels kind of flat and eh (like most lit fic).  it's a really short book (186 ppg) and it's taking me foooooooooorever to read (currently on page 80) because it's just so unengaging.

apparently Neil Gaiman loved it and Franzen blurbed it, so it's my own fault really.
Tonya

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2314 on: December 02, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »
BTW, that Cronenberg novel was the most Cronenbergian thing Cronenberg has made since Naked Lunch.
©@©™

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #2315 on: December 02, 2014, 06:28:40 PM »
Was reading the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle then stopped half way. Is it just me or is the translation not so good? My first Murakami, will probably go back to it, just a little whimsical for my tastes atm, though im about to go on summer holiday so i'll finish it then.

Currently:

so far :bow2
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2316 on: December 02, 2014, 06:30:15 PM »
Ya, that's a good-ass book.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2317 on: December 07, 2014, 02:25:15 PM »
I was reading a bad book and got mad at it (or to be precise, it made me mad at myself) because I didn't realize it had just been a retelling of Xenophon's Anabasis until they got to the sea and the narrator literally exclaimed, "The sea!" :comeon

The motley crew even started their journey in a desert and worked their way into the mountains. :snoop

Be familiar with ancient Greek writing brehs. :shaq2
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:31:03 AM by Vularai »

Tasty

« Reply #2318 on: December 07, 2014, 06:43:41 PM »
Ancient Greek writing :mynicca

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2319 on: December 07, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »
I finally started reading The Gentleman Bastard series. I give it a 4 out of 5 so far, or 6 George RR Martins out of 5.

:jawalrus
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2320 on: December 07, 2014, 06:48:26 PM »
I was reading a bad book and got mad at it (or to be precise, it made me mad at myself) because I didn't realize it had just been a retelling of Xenophon's Anabasis until they got to the sea and the narrator literally exclaimed, "The sea!" :comeon

They motley crew even started their journey in a desert and worked their way into the mountains. :snoop

Be familiar with ancient Greek writing brehs. :shaq2

Black Library better step up their game. :bolo
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2321 on: December 09, 2014, 11:30:26 AM »
Joe, when I went to the Lexicanum page about the book all they did was talk about the Star Wars references in it.

So this is something that apparently sailed over 90+% of the readers' heads to make matters worse.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2322 on: December 09, 2014, 12:04:01 PM »
I finished Vol. 1 & 2 of the Books of Blood and The Hellbound Heart.
Hellbound Heart was pretty closely adapted into Hellraiser (Barker was the writer/director, after all) but instead of being Rory's daughter, in the book Kirsty was an "I hope senpai notices me :uguu"  friend of Rory's. :lol Probably a change for the better. Also, Pinhead was not the lead Cenobite, Butterball was.(Although none of them were actually described as being the leader, he was the first one to appear and speak and he had the most lines. The Engineer was their real leader, but he only appeared briefly at the end.) Pinhead was actually described as being effete in the book, having a tittering little girl's voice  :-* I'm guessing once they designed all the costumes, they realized that the Pinhead one was the most badass, so they made him the leader. Plus, Doug Bradley. :bow2
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2323 on: December 15, 2014, 02:40:10 AM »
War Lord, a novel featuring John Constantine, Hellblazer: John Shirley, arguably the father of cyberpunk (others’ description, not mine; I’m ignorant of his oeuvre).

It is not as good as I’d hoped, but I suspect my hopes were unreasonable.

Then again, I don’t know what I was expecting, having an SF writer working arcane tropes.

It’s by no means bad, and it’s a fast read, but I’d have a hard time recommending it except to Constantine fans.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #2324 on: December 19, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2325 on: December 19, 2014, 04:25:46 PM »
:tocry

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2326 on: December 21, 2014, 07:39:18 PM »
Losing Iain M. Banks hit me surprising hard. It would have been easier if he hadn’t been such a brilliant, sardonic badass about the whole thing.

Kara

« Reply #2327 on: December 30, 2014, 12:11:52 AM »
I think I found my favorite endnote ever. :rejoice

"390. his wife Gusta . . . Shcheglov also states that, according to some commentators, Zinaida Raikh had an ample bottom, and suggests that this may be another reason why Nik. Sestrin and his wife will sit on four chairs, although he hastens to add that any such conjecture must remain hypothetical."

I can't believe Northwestern University published an endnote that discusses whether or not a historical figure had junk in the trunk. :dead

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2328 on: December 30, 2014, 01:46:09 AM »
Me gusta!
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #2329 on: December 31, 2014, 02:34:00 AM »
I finally took care of the rest of this:

The takeaways:
-The CCP is more like the world's biggest Rotary Club than anything too sinister.
-It's okay to sleep through the mandatory Party lectures at your place of work.
-Sometimes sending a person to a work camp is less paperwork than granting them a food stand license and since everyone is dissenting in some manner...
-Most Chinese people are fine with no democracy, they'd just like a legal system separate from the party because otherwise it's like dealing with asset forfeiture in the U.S. so why bother.
-If you're eight years old and a loyal aspiring Party member, who is a Maoist teachers pet all through cadre school and university, your midlife crisis will consist of you wondering why your job exists other than to provide you with slightly better living standards than your non-Party peers who work for the private sector.
-You can expose corruption but only real important corruption and go over local party heads when you do it by using the internet, then they only shut down your account and fine you while probably killing the corrupt mayor or whoever.
-Chinese people don't get why the rest of the world cares about them so much. Or this feeds into their Kingdom of Heaven complex.
-If you swapped the American and Chinese corporate-state-complex for a week, the only thing we'd notice is more efficient paperwork on meaningless things and happier presentations of bad news.
-Also, less welfare spending.
-Which gets to something to the book dances around because I don't think they could get too many people to say it directly. The Party is still organized along the geographical lines it was under Mao, so the farmers and citizens of certain areas are looted at higher rates and provided less services than those who were "essential" to the Revolution. This is exacerbated by internal migration.
-The Soviets fixed that problem, but despite that clear success for Marxist-Leninism, the Chinese in general think the Soviets were a bunch of fuckups who never learned how to do anything but shit their own pants. Except for Lenin, who was perfect and had everything just feet from Communism before Stalin had to mess everything up. Unless it was Stalin who fixed all of Lenin's fuckups and had them on the verge of Communism until Khrushchev fucked up or Gorbachev or you know what, just check back next week for the official history recap because with Christmas and everything we kinda got distracted.
-The Cultural Revolution didn't happen. It was a Western misunderstanding of the Chinese democratic process. *nervously looks around*
-Chinese leaders/academics/etc. fear Chinese nationalism more than anything. The great assumption is that fair elections would keep the Communists in power until a strong nationalist political force (even if it was in control of the Party) emerged. Hence the non-Party elite's belief that the Party needs to stay in absolute power to manage this delicate balance.
-Hu Jintao's dream as a kid was to become a Olympic gold medalist in Ping-Pong:

Also, he doesn't give a shit:

-"The CCP will survive, in part because most intellectuals always speak to and for the insiders, not those who are outside. They will speak up for the party as long as they're given a house and job by the party to do so. [They ask me why I publish contentious academic articles overseas with his real name] I answer that to publish otherwise indicates that not telling the truth is accepted. This is one of the country's problems-that everybody is trained not to tell the truth. Everybody is telling lies, they trick themselves and others."
-"[There is a phenomenon in China whereby] the less you believe something, the strong you advocate it. You think that just speaking of it will bring benefits. It rules out mistakes. Fake words become a form of exchange for profit."

Anyway, pretty cool book, and more of a interviews/man-on-the-street type of deal focused on how the Party operates and doesn't want to dwell on stuff like the Great Leap Forward. I need to finish the other one now, I think it's a bit more in the style of how repressive the Party is. This book went with a notion that yeah, there's repression and then there's also a form of self-repression that's more of a don't rock the boat while things are going so well type of situation. (While the poor don't have any money so who gives a fuck what they think or want.)

Sadly however, it does feature a brief section in which Thomas Friedman is held up as both an intellectual AND a journalist. It makes up for this by meeting with some Party cadre guy who is totally amused by Americans and Europeans and their constant fretting over income inequality.

Kara

« Reply #2330 on: January 11, 2015, 05:10:08 PM »
The Lemoine Affair is fucking hilarious. This morning the chapter from Flaubert's novel and its accompanying newspaper review had me in tears at the local cafe/coffeehouse¹ I hold court at² on the reg.

:bow Proust Da God :bow2

¹What passes for bohème in this burgh.

²Sitting in the back corner by the pushcart.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2331 on: January 11, 2015, 05:23:33 PM »
Finished reading Clive Barker's Books of Blood. It was good. I think my favorite story was In the Hills, the Cities just because of how crazy it was.

Now reading:

©@©™

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2332 on: January 11, 2015, 06:46:39 PM »
Finished reading Clive Barker's Books of Blood. It was good. I think my favorite story was In the Hills, the Cities just because of how crazy it was.

love that story.

like...how would you even convince people to make giant meatmechs of themselves?  it's like someone in Attack on Titan had the craziest plan possible
Tonya

TVC15

« Reply #2333 on: January 11, 2015, 06:52:47 PM »
I...

I...

...bought game of thrones. I feel more shameful than when I purchased Screech's Behind the Bell :( and this won't have nearly as much sex, I can honestly guarantee.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #2334 on: January 11, 2015, 07:50:25 PM »
Man, ~20 pages in and I can already tell Amazon X-Ray is going to make this MUCH easier to tolerate.
serge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2335 on: January 11, 2015, 11:14:02 PM »
:beli

TVC15

« Reply #2336 on: January 11, 2015, 11:20:27 PM »
What's that supposed to mean?
serge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2337 on: January 11, 2015, 11:26:31 PM »
It's a great book/series. The first season was quite a faithful adaption until the last fourth or so of the book.

Admittedly I wasn't fully hooked until the window toss part.

TVC15

« Reply #2338 on: January 11, 2015, 11:32:37 PM »
But can it top frequent, long threesomes with Mark Paul Gosselaar, Tiffani Amber Thiessen, and their producer?
serge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2339 on: January 11, 2015, 11:35:58 PM »
Martin writes some of the worst sex scenes ever, to the point they're comical. He's always insinuating he banged a lot in the 70s but I don't buy it.

Wait till "fat pink mast" enters your sexual lexicon.