Author Topic: 1up Intern Program working like a charm  (Read 28279 times)

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
1up Intern Program working like a charm
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:14:08 PM »
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8876360&publicUserId=4551247 (Shawn Elliott)

Whatever, that place is becoming a joke.

"Come, you'll make tons of friends in the industry here, and then they will put in a good word for you!!!!"

Grecco

Re: 1up Intern Program working like a charm
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 05:16:49 PM »
Meh Shawn Elliot has been there for a good chunk of time. He left cause his buddy Jeff Green did. Had Jeff stayed Shawn would still be there

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 05:19:02 PM »
He should work at Valve to make their voice chat even more accessible.

[youtube=425,350]PYUbUvzlvFw&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]UZ1jSXaF-Y[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]9v3dH7ReL0k&fmt=18[/youtube]

Or with Sonic Team, so that he can help with their story writing.
wtc

cool breeze

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 05:21:02 PM »
I don't believe it.

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 05:23:58 PM »
I don't believe it till I hear the podcast. He pulled the same joke a few months ago.
i

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 05:25:54 PM »
Meh Shawn Elliot has been there for a good chunk of time. He left cause his buddy Jeff Green did. Had Jeff stayed Shawn would still be there

They both are leaving/left, I imagine, because the reason they were employed by Ziff got shut down.
haw

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »
Shane will soon move on to develop for home. He'll get those videos to stream or die trying.

Nobody wants shane. He's just a sony bot that knows a lot of video game history.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 05:34:34 PM »
i love it when games writers say stuff like "i'm leaving to make games" as if taking jobs as community managers means "making games"

i'm sure genghis loves hearing shit like that, too, knowing he could have skipped all those years of school and long hours of hard work - and just made podcasts instead
sup

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »
He was my favorite podcaster. And lol at Shane  getting a job in the industry. I could only see him getting a job at Kojima, just because he would give reacharounds all day.
jon

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 05:40:05 PM »
Community managers are fucking tools who take credit for other people's work.  Fuck them.

i hate it for you, dude, i know it must boil your blood every time you read that shit

you're working yourself to death and they get to yuck it up on podcasts and at games conventions

sup

y2kev

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 05:52:32 PM »
just think about some of the people who were hired away

just think
haw

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 05:58:18 PM »
just think about some of the people who were hired away

just think

I'm coming up with a blank
fat

Oblivion

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 06:01:24 PM »
He's leaving to be a community manager?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 06:03:26 PM »
He's leaving to be a community manager?

don't know, that would be my guess

i like shawn elliot all right, he makes me laugh, i just smh head whenever i read those "imma go make some games" quotes
sup

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 06:23:35 PM »
as i was telling patel community managers are part of the reason this industry fails to attract really, really top notch talent, though only part.

Why's this?

I figure that taking a job as a community manager is probably something of a risky proposition.  It's a "new" job and I think in a few years, dev teams looking to trim the fat will realize that they aren't really effctive positions.  Their salary could go somewhere useful.
serge

Grecco

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »

They both are leaving/left, I imagine, because the reason they were employed by Ziff got shut down.

they still covered PC games for 1up. Probably made the same money they made while their magazine was still alive.  I do suspect the pay at Ziff has to be the shittyest of shit compared to the rest of the enthuthiast press.  Where else do they live in some bizarre roomate comune system? I dont hear how theres tons of turnover at IGN or Gamespot.

Rman

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 06:28:17 PM »
as i was telling patel community managers are part of the reason this industry fails to attract really, really top notch talent, though only part.

Why's this?

I figure that taking a job as a community manager is probably something of a risky proposition.  It's a "new" job and I think in a few years, dev teams looking to trim the fat will realize that they aren't really effctive positions.  Their salary could go somewhere useful.

That's would I would think too.  Didn't Bungie pioneer the community manager position with Frank O'Connor (Stinkles)?

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 06:28:34 PM »
"Community managers" tend to take credit where credit most certainly isn't due.  Imagine you were working on a top notch game and all the interviews and credit are being directed towards some bumblefuck podcaster.

By the time someone is old enough to be an actual coder or designer, he will have been a nerd for over 20 years and will be used to the misplaced credit and lack of notice.  Community managers are the new jocks. I don't see a problem here. 
serge

y2kev

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »

they still covered PC games for 1up. Probably made the same money they made while their magazine was still alive.  I do suspect the pay at Ziff has to be the shittyest of shit compared to the rest of the enthuthiast press.  Where else do they live in some bizarre roomate comune system? I dont hear how theres tons of turnover at IGN or Gamespot.

woo they got a shitty tab on the 1up website and shawn got an 80 word column in EGM

They were hired to run a magazine. I know I'd leave.
haw

Oblivion

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 06:53:01 PM »
"Community managers" tend to take credit where credit most certainly isn't due.  Imagine you were working on a top notch game and all the interviews and credit are being directed towards some bumblefuck podcaster.

Dunno about that, really. Is Major Nelson a community manager? If he is, I haven't seen anyone give him credit for any actual work on a game.

Draft

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 07:17:01 PM »
Maybe the game industry wouldn't need community managers if game developers weren't such trolls.

What developers are actually allowed in front of the camera? Dreamboats like Cliffyb and Ted Price, and gorgeous babes like that girl who made Assassin's Creed. Burly monsters like Gabe Newell. Kung Fu masters like John Carmack. Attractive people. That's who the public wants to see. Not some sickly albino with a 3 week old neckbeard and a wrinkly Mark of Kri t-shirt on.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 07:22:10 PM »

Dunno about that, really. Is Major Nelson a community manager? If he is, I haven't seen anyone give him credit for any actual work on a game.

Miyamoto is a community manager. Lord knows he hasnt made a game anytime soon.
fat

Draft

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 07:23:43 PM »
Maybe the game industry wouldn't need community managers if game developers weren't such trolls.

What developers are actually allowed in front of the camera? Dreamboats like Cliffyb and Ted Price, and gorgeous babes like that girl who made Assassin's Creed. Burly monsters like Gabe Newell. Kung Fu masters like John Carmack. Attractive people. That's who the public wants to see. Not some sickly albino with a 3 week old neckbeard and a wrinkly Mark of Kri t-shirt on.
This is where I quote your avatar.
It just proves my point. Look at his sense of style. Are you going to harp on a physical difficulty he can't do anything about? Heartless.

cool breeze

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 07:28:02 PM »
Miyamoto is a community manager. Lord knows he hasnt made a game anytime soon.

Forget about Wii Music?

nevermind, you said game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 07:31:09 PM »
I bet Oblivion is typing furiously at my reply

What a fat gump
fat

Oblivion

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 07:51:01 PM »
I bet Oblivion is typing furiously at my reply

What a fat gump

Nah, I'm too much of a man to be bothered by such things.  :pimp

Oblivion

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 08:00:35 PM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 08:05:35 PM »
he just sent me a bunch of IMs
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 08:27:43 PM »
Crap...this is actually true.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 10:47:46 PM »
Learn C++
Years of advanced mathematics
Deal with complex AI systems
Algorithms algorithms algorithms

Work at 1up

Tabasco

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 11:35:35 PM »
sf to wherever will be a rude awakening
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:44:15 PM by Tabasco »

Rman

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 11:37:15 PM »
Learn C++

Work at 1up

:lol

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 11:54:49 PM »
Learn C++

Work at 1up

:rofl
itm

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 01:39:22 AM »
Learn C++

Work at 1up

awesome
AMC

Tabasco

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2008, 03:21:33 AM »
Community managers are fucking tools who take credit for other people's work.  Fuck them.

so basically, you're an ugly, boring coder and are bitter because some dude you work with has charisma and that's his role, i'm sure it's really rewarding for him sit and think he's taking credit for your work. 

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 03:46:11 AM »
what you do white boy
sup

Oblivion

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2008, 04:03:19 AM »
he tightens up graphics in various levels

with a gamepad

Tabasco

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 08:48:52 AM »
Nor am I particularly talented, or deserve credit for anything.  But I know people who do.

My bad then.  Your initial posts read as someone who had had a bad experience with community position.  I still don't agree that CMs and such keep people out of the business.

I really didn't start seriously following games until 2002.  My first experience of a community person was Frankie at Bungie.  I never once thought he was anything other than the outward face of the company.  Same with Doug Lombardi, Peter Hines, and Todd Hollendshead.  Now I know that those last 3 are not CMs, but the do serve as the outward face of their companies, despite not actually making the games.

I just don't think you can pull people off the line to handle press requests.  Nor do I think you'd want to.  In this day in age, you have to be media savvy.  You need people in that role interfacing with the press. 

Of course I may be misreading your point, and you are zeroing in on the specific position of Community Manager.  The guys who interact with the kids on the forums and do the podcasting.  I still think most people who follow games are wise enough to know who is the marketing guy, and who is the talent.  In that situation, is the adulation of the unwashed fanboy really something a coder/designer craves?

cool breeze

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2008, 08:52:34 AM »
IF anyone is curious, Shawn is going to be the  Associate Producer at 2K Boston (aka Irrational games...aka the guys who made Bioshock and SWAT 4.)

y2kev

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2008, 09:56:16 AM »
I don't think this is an endemic games journalism problem. It really looks more like a Ziff problem. It's only 1up that seems like the revolving door.

Even those that really love their jobs (as Shawn and Jeff have said 100 times), you're right-- that ship is sinking.
haw

Grecco

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »
I don't think this is an endemic games journalism problem. It really looks more like a Ziff problem. It's only 1up that seems like the revolving door.

Even those that really love their jobs (as Shawn and Jeff have said 100 times), you're right-- that ship is sinking.

I had a laugh at Editorial Director Sam Kennedy throwing a hissy fit at Gaf denying that Ziff was in a shitty situation.

Jeff said it outright last week, GFW closing was because of Ziffs economic situation

the last podcast was neat. Shawn basically outs Shanes Gaf account
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:38:28 AM by Grecco »

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2008, 10:38:26 AM »
A lot of people have left GameSpot, even before the whole K&L debacle. Hardly knowing anything about the personalities of that place, I can recall several people leaving for jobs at places like Blizzard and EA.

IGN may seem more stable, but only because folks like Matt and Peer have never gone anywhere. On the other hand, several lackeys on the Nintendo channels have gone on to better things, IGN Xbox has been a revolving door, IGN PS[whatever] has seen considerable changes, etc.

Games journalism as a longterm profession just sucks.

Grecco

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »
A lot of people have left GameSpot, even before the whole K&L debacle. Hardly knowing anything about the personalities of that place, I can recall several people leaving for jobs at places like Blizzard and EA.

Kasavin left to join EA pre Gertsman gate but thats basically the only loss i remember.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2008, 10:41:26 AM »
Carrie [last name not available] left to do some gaming gig. One or two [no names available, again, I didn't really read GameSpot] left for Blizzard. Seemed like several people associated with the Hotspot podcast left for other opportunities. It's not just a Ziff thing, it just seems that way.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2008, 10:42:40 AM »

DOES HE?

Who is it?

Quick edit: Kittonwy

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2008, 10:45:20 AM »
It seems professional game enthusiasts have been going to the other side constantly. Loads of times when journo's talk about friends on the other side, it's a former journo doing PR or something, loads of PR people seem to have been.

Anyway, I have been counting down the days till Shawn would get picked up by a game studio, he's too talented to stay where he is with hacks like Shane. He got himself a good job with some really interesting people at 2K Boston. I've been a follower ever since he deconstructed Gears on EGM Live and started following CGW Radio because of that, I probably was the first vocal Shawn 'fan' on NeoGAF.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:49:29 AM by Tieno »
i

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2008, 10:48:38 AM »
I'd have to be. I stopped listening to podcasts about this time last year.

Grecco

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2008, 10:49:58 AM »

I had a laugh at Editorial Director Sam Kennedy throwing a hissy fit at Gaf denying that Ziff was in a shitty situation.

Jeff said it outright last week, GFW closing was because of Ziffs economic situation

DOES HE?

Who is it?

Its in the segment when luke calls

cool breeze

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2008, 12:21:50 PM »
Shane isn't Kittonowy.  Luke already admitted that he is Kittonowy while Franky is Wollan.

y2kev

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2008, 12:46:06 PM »

DOES HE?

Who is it?

Its in the segment when luke calls

so who is it?
haw

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2008, 12:48:18 PM »
Afaik they didn't say, but Shawn said it'll be revealed soon and it'll make sense that 'that poster' is Shane. So probably a Sony shill.
i

Grecco

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »
MANGOD.

at least thats my guess but what Shawn said about it being pretty obvious and well known makes sense.

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2008, 12:56:43 PM »
It's Greatness Gone, obviously.
wtc

patrickula

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2008, 04:41:09 PM »
Shawn  :'(  Teh Brodeo  :'(

I want to know who Shane is.  GoFreak?  Chubigans?  ???

edit: not Chubigans I guess.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:56:15 PM by patrickula »

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2008, 05:12:51 PM »
McBradders
jon

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2008, 05:20:10 PM »
, you make under the average salary for US residents...

This isn't true, at least not for writers and editors employed full-time. Ziff, for example, paid a salary that let us live comfortably in San Francisco.

Anyone who lives in or around the Bay Area will understand exactly what that means.

I can't vouch for the other outlets, but if they have offices in or around the bay, I expect they pay similar rates.

Stinkles

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2008, 05:28:46 PM »
i love it when games writers say stuff like "i'm leaving to make games" as if taking jobs as community managers means "making games"

i'm sure genghis loves hearing shit like that, too, knowing he could have skipped all those years of school and long hours of hard work - and just made podcasts instead

Jeeeeeaaaalooouuuuuus.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2008, 05:42:40 PM »
nah, i can get my own coffee
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2008, 05:46:26 PM »
i am jealous, though  :(
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2008, 05:46:33 PM »

Jeeeeeaaaalooouuuuuus.

Hey baby
fat