Author Topic: Resistance 2 Thread  (Read 44175 times)

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
Re: Resistance 2 public beta sign-ups
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2008, 02:05:25 PM »
I unplugged my headset last night, I can't deal with the random banter. If you ever do end up going for a headset, the Premium Notebook HS from Logitech is a nice one. Any old USB headset works, though.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/internet_headsets_phones/devices/223&cl=US,EN

duckman2000

« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2008, 02:12:06 PM »
The MP is too cluttered for its own good. 59 opponents hopping around a glowing, now overtly detailed environment and with point tickers above their heads, it nearly gives me a headache. I'm also not sure about the motion blur. Someone took a Rare to my Insomniac.  :gloomy

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2008, 02:12:57 PM »
Kev, what's your major?
Political Science & Economics
haw

duckman2000

« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2008, 03:08:26 PM »
And for the record, the mini-gun still sucks.

cool breeze

« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
I play as the spec-op class since I think that is the most self sufficient.  You can't heal or anything, but if you are good enough you can scrape by and constantly give ammo to yourself.

oh, and apparently the medic gun heads allies and sucks life from enemies.  I'm sure there are other guns to unlock for it later on since I unlocked the bullseye in my spec-op class.

I unplugged my headset last night, I can't deal with the random banter. If you ever do end up going for a headset, the Premium Notebook HS from Logitech is a nice one. Any old USB headset works, though.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/internet_headsets_phones/devices/223&cl=US,EN

I use that as my PC headset when I need it, then switch up with a pair of Senn HD 595s if I need more quality.

For my PS3 I just use this: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/playstation_3/default/devices/3675&cl=us,en

It's great outside of the earpiece not having enough cushioning.  Plus it lets you mute the mic at anytime.  I was thinking I would use the SOCOM one I bought since it actually is integrated into the PS3 interface and has that HQ audio thing, but it doesn't fit on my ear well and the damn thing constantly beeps when muted.

And this is a bit random, but does anyone know if LBP has voice chat in the final game? I really hope it does.

duckman2000

« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2008, 04:20:29 PM »
New trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41596.html

Brand new gigantic creature shown too, for a split second. A lot more insect-like than any of the existing chimera species.  :hyper

duckman2000

« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2008, 06:55:30 PM »
Apparently not all the Gamestop codes have gone out.

Several thousand more are scheduled to go out before EOD.

There are also some that need to go to people with AOL and Comcast e-mail addresses. Unfortunately this isn't going to be able to happen until Monday.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #127 on: October 18, 2008, 12:24:35 AM »
Got mine, but I won't be playing it tonight.

duckman2000

« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »
I really wish this was the Killzone 2 beta instead. From what I'm hearing from some dude I sort of trust, that's a hell of a lot more interesting.

One thing I don't quite get is why the people who are totally psyched about the R2 beta weren't all over UT3.

duckman2000

« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2008, 01:27:22 PM »
You know, I'm really not feeling this. I used to defend Insomniac's decision to make co-op separate from the campaign, but at that time I was under the impression that the co-op campaign would be just that, another campaign. The way it works now, it seems like a mix of GRAW style co-op, and Unreal Tournament Invasion mode. And making creatures bullet sponges, I don't see much sense in that. I guess it will be cooler once you get to the real bosses, but the Titan is pretty terrible.

I need to try out some more of the MP, the Core control mode in particular.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2008, 01:30:58 PM »
I'm going to try it once or twice more before I completely write it off. But ya, I wanna try the Killzone multi.

duckman2000

« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »
I'm thinking in later levels, when your classes are leveled up and the monsters start comparing to the ones in SP, co-op might be fun. As of right now, I've had it up to here with people just running past me as opposed to reviving me, and I'm tired of the slaughterfest choke points. For now, I'm leaning my excitement on the SP, which may or may not be wise.

cool breeze

« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2008, 02:49:41 PM »
I still think co-op is a lot of fun and would be truly great if they made the enemies less bullet sponges and just more interesting to fight.  Having a weak point or something would be a simple solution.  The actual vs multiplayer was alright, but I probably won't sink much time into it.  I'm also starting to think that it was a mistake for them not to include co-op for the single player campaign...although if they have more scenes like that giant fight from E3, I'm wondering how that would work out.

cool breeze

« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2008, 01:56:33 PM »
Does anyone need a code anymore?

Jansen

« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »
when can purchasers of the single core episode download?

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2008, 02:18:03 PM »
Does anyone need a code anymore?
ill take one plz
萌え~

duckman2000

« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2008, 10:31:06 PM »
I still think co-op is a lot of fun and would be truly great if they made the enemies less bullet sponges and just more interesting to fight.  Having a weak point or something would be a simple solution.  The actual vs multiplayer was alright, but I probably won't sink much time into it.  I'm also starting to think that it was a mistake for them not to include co-op for the single player campaign...although if they have more scenes like that giant fight from E3, I'm wondering how that would work out.

See, it's not that it's bad. I just, for various reasons, expected at least the co-op to be something other than what it is. What they have accomplished is very impressive, and it can be very fun, but I expected more of an actual campaign, only designed for co-op.
Multiplayer is also not bad, but it's just not remarkable enough, and 60 player matches combined with the Halo-like damage system makes for a pretty big mess. Some people like that, but I don't think I'm part of that group.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2008, 11:30:52 AM »
OK how the fuck to I join/invite friendss to matches?

Rman

« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2008, 01:29:41 PM »
Got a code.  Wooh.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:32:48 PM by Rman »

Rman

« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2008, 08:49:01 PM »
anyone up for a co-op game.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »

I can probably play some on Sunday.  Game is uglier than I expected though and that's killed some of my excitement for it. 

Jansen

« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2008, 09:15:04 PM »
hopefully single player looks a lot better because multi looks like shit. and if you upscale the game it looks fucking terrible. like it's rendering in a much lower res when you upscale it.

competitive doesn't seem as good as it was in the first resistance but co-op is pretty fun.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:16:38 PM by Wicked Laharl »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2008, 10:17:38 PM »
i just got in the beta

great timing, sony

holy fuck it's 2.2gigs
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:19:47 PM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2008, 10:25:50 PM »
I like it now, will buy. If only it was on 360 so game invites weren't a pain in the ass, people woudl talk, and headsets would work properly.

cool breeze

« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2008, 11:04:24 PM »
The few games I did play surprisingly had a good number of people talking.  I haven't really played the beta much since I have final games to play, but I can see myself playing it a quite a bit on and off with Gears 2 when it comes out.  I do agree with Wicked Laharl that the game isn't looking good in multiplayer. 

duckman2000

« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
I can probably play some on Sunday.  Game is uglier than I expected though and that's killed some of my excitement for it. 

Not too excited about the visuals myself, but given what it does and that it's on console, expecting more was probably a mistake. At this point, I almost think they should drop some of the detail as it feels a bit too cluttered. SP should be a lot hotter.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2008, 12:14:45 AM »
game is fun, but ugly

but fun

and it still does that stupid faux iron sight bullshit. Give me actual iron sights goddammit!
also the carbine is nerfed it seems. I could fuck some dudez up in R1 with that, but now I'm using the bullseye exclusively.

but damn is it ugly
nat

duckman2000

« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2008, 12:35:43 AM »
Yeah, the ironsights are just plain goofy. I feel like I'm playing Doom or something. Not sure where "damn it's ugly" is coming from, though. Barring the Vaseline smear, it seems to sit pretty comfortably on the upper shelf of console shooters. Personally, I preferred the clean style of R1, but this is what people were asking for.  :punch

cool breeze

« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2008, 12:41:02 AM »
The ironsight situation is so fucking weird.  Old footage shows the same wacky ass one from Resistance 1, then there was multiplayer footage that showed the logical good one, and now in the multiplayer beta they are somewhere between the two.

duckman2000

« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2008, 12:46:17 AM »
I have to say, so far I favor the gunplay in R1. May just be a matter of familiarity, but guns feel more effective and precise in R1, and they seem to pack a bigger punch.

duckman2000

« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2008, 09:41:03 PM »
Alright, so Skirmish is pretty cool. And co-op can certainly be fun, but it's just too dependent on the actions of other players.

One thing, does anyone else get a bit dizzy from playing this game? I'm predisposed to get a bit of vertigo from fast moving games in general, but I have no problem with COD4, or even faster games like UT. Is it the game speed in combination with 30fps, or what?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 09:52:48 PM by duckman2000 »

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2008, 12:39:10 PM »
Just realized that I had a beta code sitting in my email inbox for this. I won't get around to using it, so if it's of any use to anyone here, PM me. Is the beta even still going?
fek

cool breeze

« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2008, 12:57:48 PM »
This game is getting a huge backlash from the die hard fans of Resistance 1.

duckman2000

« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »
Isn't that the story for any game that actually evolves between versions? Keeping in mind that to many of these die-hard fans, Resistance was the first "native" FPS worth playing, online no less. I prefer the feel of Resistance, but all around, I think this version is going to be much more appealing to a larger audience.

The Innocent X

« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2008, 02:49:07 PM »
Most bizarre beta ever. FAr to late to change the game code now, best that can be hoped for is a patch to fix the massive number of issues.

duckman2000

« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2008, 03:11:39 PM »
What "massive number of issues?"

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2008, 07:22:32 PM »
I called the CO OP separate campaign being shit from the moment it was announced, Ps3 fanboys hailing it as something never done before or whatever, fuckers, games already did that, separate campaigns for CO Op suck cock.

And overall impressions from the beta have been pretty poor, 10$ saying this won't even be as good as COD World at War, HA!

Bebpo

« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2008, 08:27:03 PM »
I called the CO OP separate campaign being shit from the moment it was announced, Ps3 fanboys hailing it as something never done before or whatever, fuckers, games already did that, separate campaigns for CO Op suck cock.

And overall impressions from the beta have been pretty poor, 10$ saying this won't even be as good as COD World at War, HA!

Even if everything sucks the single player should still be better than CoD5.  Even though the first 3 levels are terrible I enjoyed R1's SP campaign more than any of the CoDs except for CoD2. 

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2008, 08:32:27 PM »

Even if everything sucks the single player should still be better than CoD5.  Even though the first 3 levels are terrible I enjoyed R1's SP campaign more than any of the CoDs except for CoD2. 

COD4 shits all over RE1 campaign too.

duckman2000

« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2008, 08:40:46 PM »
It's a shame the ignore function doesn't work on quotes. But hey, at least now the dumbshit eurowigger vote is in.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2008, 08:42:22 PM »
I will play with you fools and take a break from voice chat if someone sends me a code

If not, then it's more shootin' off limbs

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2008, 08:51:52 PM »
Mine's still up for grabs. Check your PM's.
fek

Sho Nuff

« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2008, 09:14:07 PM »
You, sir, are a god among men. Downloading now, will be on tonite for great justice

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2008, 09:17:10 PM »

Why?

cool breeze

« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2008, 10:16:21 PM »

Why?

I don't know, I was just reading a post about how someone who was in the gaf clan says him and the rest of the R1 'awesome fucking wowsome' crew weren't digging it and were probably not going to even buy it.  I can somewhat understand if they expected more Resistance 1, which this isn't, but I still enjoy it.  Resistance 1 felt like a mix between Quake and CoD2 while Resistance 2 feels like a mix between Halo 3 and CoD4.

The actual versus mode is alright, but I don't see myself sinking too much time into it.  The thing I was excited most about with the objective/squad based gameplay also turned out to be a disappointment and it ends up being little more than just chaos instead of feeling like a squad completing objectives.  I still think the co-op is great until you get to the boss sections (which are incredibly boring).  I mean, I'm probably going to play it off and on for a while, but no doubt that Left 4 Dead will be a much better experience in that same sub-genre that I like so much. 

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2008, 10:18:24 PM »
I don't even get how the squads work. When I'm supposed to be protecting a point, are different squads on my team supposed to be killing a special target or something? Is that why my objectives keep cycling?

cool breeze

« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2008, 10:21:10 PM »
I don't really get it either.  I see a point on the screen, I go to it, shoot things, repeat.

duckman2000

« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2008, 12:56:49 AM »
The beta could have used a tutorial of some sort. It's pretty deep, which is fine, if there is a guide available. Even in co-op, I can't be mad at people for not playing their parts properly as it's pretty difficult to know how the classes, let alone the weapons, work.

Apparently, Killzone 2 does classes and objectives a lot better.  :wtf
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:58:21 AM by duckman2000 »

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2008, 09:43:06 AM »
Got a beta code but don't have much interest in playing it, though I did manage to get into 2 co-op games...both were horrible. Lots of dying, little shooting, didn't know what to do. Oh well. Doesn't feel like a campaign mode either.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:45:02 AM by Tieno »
i

duckman2000

« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2008, 12:14:53 PM »
I agree, it feels very much like a multiplayer mode, more like Invasion than anything. I was under the impression that it would be basically a separate campaign designed for co-op, but that's not how it feels right now. We'll see how it all ties together with the SP, but as of now, it seems like an evolution of existing co-op multiplayer models more than a separate campaign mode.

I'm really impressed by how well it runs though, even if it's at the expense of some clarity.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2008, 08:59:57 PM »

duckman2000

« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2008, 11:06:08 PM »
Maybe that's what's making me dizzy

cool breeze

« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2008, 08:41:58 AM »
IGN gave it a 9.5

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/924/924372p1.html

I'm honestly a bit surprised it scored so well.  I mean, I don't trust IGN, but this slightly helped ease my worries with the game.

duckman2000

« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2008, 10:39:49 AM »
IGN PS3 hasn't been overly generous with high scores, I think. Their reviews suck, though, like any other IGN channel.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2008, 11:42:13 AM »
Hmmm....I'm not really feeling this game. Needs a tutorial. I'm just jumping into this big mayhem slaughter fest

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2008, 12:15:12 PM »

duckman2000

« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2008, 12:21:33 PM »
Hmmm....I'm not really feeling this game. Needs a tutorial. I'm just jumping into this big mayhem slaughter fest

Everything in MP should make more sense after playing SP. At least that's how it was with R1. The beta should have had a tutorial though, at least for the classes.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2008, 12:25:02 PM »
That IGN review confirms my theory of what's going on in Skirmish.

I'm trying co op for the first time now, 7 random guys.

lmfao, my PS3 froze when I selected enter game.

duckman2000

« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2008, 12:27:20 PM »
It's the system trying to save you the headache of playing 8-player co-op with a random bunch.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2008, 12:30:27 PM »
Wow, this really sucks. They must have spent 5 minutes balancing this. A long line of zombies just shambles towards me and I shoot them all, so fun.

And their idea of story integration is a block of text on a load screen talking about how important this battle is. Bravo.

Bring on horde mode.