Author Topic: My roommate finally declares Wii the future of video games.  (Read 5765 times)

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
My roommate finally declares Wii the future of video games.
« on: November 24, 2006, 08:43:52 PM »
Earlier today my rooomate and I almost had a throw down. I was trying to convince him that the wii was the future of video games. He swore by the Playstation. Fastword to now, we just had 10 guys over for a post thanksgiving meal. We had a group photo and now my roommate just spent 45 minutes drawing dicks on the pictures. Everyone was watching and having a blast. He then declared the Wii the future of video games

spoiler (click to show/hide)
drawing penises=future of video games.
[close]

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Re: My roommate finally declares Wii the future of video games.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 08:49:18 PM »
The future looks grim then.
萌え~

Himu

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 08:56:33 PM »
The future looks grim then.

If you're a graphics whore, yeah.
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 09:28:06 PM »
no, it's grim if you're a gamer who is completely fine with current controls but wants real innovation of the sort the comes with hardware and RAM upgrades
duc

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 09:29:14 PM »
I meant the drawing penis thing, oh boy does that sound like innovation!

Anyway I want a Wii and I still play 2d rpgs all the time, so no graphics aren't everything to me!
萌え~

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 10:19:06 PM »
no, it's grim if you're a gamer who is completely fine with current controls but wants real innovation of the sort the comes with hardware and RAM upgrades

You mean the exact same "innovation" we have been seeing for the past 20 years?

etiolate

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 10:32:06 PM »

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 10:34:42 PM »
Lol, fuk yer roommate
o_0

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 10:39:09 PM »
Fuck how long has MS paint been around?

etiolate

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 10:57:52 PM »
fuck ms paint! It's all about LV Pro!

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 11:02:53 PM »

you mean the exact same innovation that moved us from left-to-right hop-and-bop to fully-realized three-dee worlds, emergent gameplay mechanics, and countless new genres?
duc

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 11:04:44 PM »

you mean the exact same innovation that moved us from left-to-right hop-and-bop to fully-realized three-dee worlds, emergent gameplay mechanics, and countless new genres?

There is no place left to go. 4d?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 11:10:33 PM »
Sounds like a lack of imagination on your behalf! What is the Wii but laterally shifting button presses to gestures?
duc

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 11:23:39 PM »
Sounds like a lack of imagination on your behalf! What is the Wii but laterally shifting button presses to gestures?

A shitload of fun!

APF

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 11:24:37 PM »
Increasing the power of technology always leads to innovations; look at drive space for example.  Cheap storage has led to an explosion in related technologies: mp3 players, video players, etc; not to mention the combination of broadband connections and large HDs leading to a downloadable digital content "revolution" that's expanded into set-top boxes and video game consoles, etc.  The Wii's use of flash memory is neither cheap nor practical for the medium; it's not a portable system where a user has an expectiation that stored data will be mutable, it's a home system where the preference for downloaded content would be to build a static library.  Not to mention the fact that demos/etc won't be forthcoming, or again not in a practical manner.  These are innovations directly tied to raw power.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 11:26:07 PM »
A shitload of fun you could easily duplicate by actually going to a bowling alley or setting up a croquet kit in your lawn -- only those two games have actual depth, whereas Wii Sports plays like shit and controls the results for you!
duc

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
萌え~

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 11:28:01 PM »
Increasing the power of technology always leads to innovations; look at drive space for example.  Cheap storage has led to an explosion in related technologies: mp3 players, video players, etc; not to mention the combination of broadband connections and large HDs leading to a downloadable digital content "revolution" that's expanded into set-top boxes and video game consoles, etc.  The Wii's use of flash memory is neither cheap nor practical for the medium; it's not a portable system where a user has an expectiation that stored data will be mutable, it's a home system where the preference for downloaded content would be to build a static library.  Not to mention the fact that demos/etc won't be forthcoming, or again not in a practical manner.  These are innovations directly tied to raw power.

Are you saying that downloading a demo is innovation?

A shitload of fun you could easily duplicate by actually going to a bowling alley or setting up a croquet kit in your lawn -- only those two games have actual depth, whereas Wii Sports plays like shit and controls the results for you!

Tell that to my friend who has cerbal palsey but still enjoys the wii sports baseball

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 11:31:27 PM »
put it this way: nintendo could have released an analog stick for the snes but you still wouldn't have gotten mario 64 without the actual N64 HARDWARE
duc

APF

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 11:33:33 PM »
Are you saying that downloading a demo is innovation?

It definitely is for consoles, as is the entire concept of having a digital-content virtual storefront tied to your console, tied to a single ID that tracks your purchases, allows you to delete and redownload at will, etc.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 12:28:22 AM »
THIS is the future of video games and fuck your non-gaming friends/relations/feggits:

duc

etiolate

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 01:06:39 AM »
Can you explain whats new about that game or screenshot?

Nintendo should have upped the power, and if they didn't up the power they should have charged less than $200 for it. The problem people fail to see is the investment needed for graphically power games negates incentives to try new things.  The EA business model works within the high cost of development.  If you try something new, you risk alienation.  You lower the cost, you make it so you can't just wow-em with graphics, you give them new abilities with the interface and you force devs or you allow devs to try new things.  That's the thing behind Wii and if you can't see anything possible with the wiimote other than minigames then you simply lack imagination. 

Really, I keep looking for this hardware powered innovation, and all I can think up of is Assassin's Creed's crowds.  Adding more enemies/players really hasn't done much.  BF2 did the same thing and in the end the game just felt like another FPS to me. 

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 01:08:38 AM »
what's new about CoH is how FUCKING AWESOME it is yet it didn't require waggle but DID require PC horsepower
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 01:33:40 AM »
Etoilet plays Guild Wars, so who cares what he thinks about gaming lol.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 01:51:36 AM »

the sublime joy of PC gaming brings samurai and gatling guns together in harmony at long last, in the sort of eternal brotherhood that is forged by a joint attack on COMMUNISM!
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 01:58:21 AM »
AOE3 and CoH = OMG RTS gaming. Supreme Commander is supposedly teh awesome too.

of course pc gaming doesnt have enough hootin' n hollar'in for the kids around here. You gotta look like a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow to have fun apparently.
o_0

Tigerriot

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 07:06:58 AM »
PC gaming.   :lol

Voltorb

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 09:42:47 AM »
CoH is really great, if you enjoy RTS that game is a must have. Only problem with PC gaming is it's costly to run the game at decent framerate and by the time you get new hardware to run the game at its optimal settings it's already outdated within a year and you can't enjoy newer PC games at its optimal settings. You'd have to spend more money later to enjoy a game fully that was released like 2 years ago. I like PC gaming but it just doesn't offer me as much as a console does price wise, it just doesn't compare.

APF

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 10:16:23 AM »
what is that warcraft? my friends and i used to have a lot of fun playing that in high school i liked how the orcs would get pissed if you clicked on them a lot it was cool seventeen years ago.

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 01:12:20 PM »

Yeah, the GOOD KIND that we all have thoroughly enjoyed for 20 years.

HOT

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2006, 04:23:17 AM »
what is that warcraft? my friends and i used to have a lot of fun playing that in high school i liked how the orcs would get pissed if you clicked on them a lot it was cool seventeen years ago.

:lol    :chicken