Author Topic: Anyone use the virtual console yet?  (Read 3702 times)

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Anyone use the virtual console yet?
« on: November 24, 2006, 09:13:59 PM »
How do I sign up for an account and buy stuff?

Himu

Re: Anyone use the virtual console yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 09:16:34 PM »
Um..

You connect your wii to online. Go to Wii shopping. Go to the game you want and then put in your credit/debit card number. Voila.
IYKYK

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 09:17:02 PM »
Where do i get a passsword and username. I think it asks me for it.

Wobedraggled

• Almost Died Once
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 10:37:07 PM »
you enter cc info to buy points, or use a pre-paid card, that's it

you can link to your mynintendo.com account if you wish and it'll add the games to ones you have already registered.

Good for keeping track, in case your Wii explodes.

I bought Bonk and Donkey Kong.

Wii

Tigerriot

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 01:24:54 AM »
I bought Mario 64, and the original Zelda.

Perfect ports.  Not much more can be said.  I just wish the assholes would make more of them available right now.

wave-E

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 01:31:32 AM »
I picked up bonk and solomon's key.  With the way the resume system is set up, I'm actually getting a good bit of play out of both.  Just here in there plugging in a couple of levels, good times.
Hopefully Gunstar Heroes will hit soon so I can round out my 20 (nearly).

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 05:31:09 PM »

Perfect ports.  Not much more can be said.  I just wish the assholes would make more of them available right now.

Is it just me or does Mario 64 look slightly better?  I mean it's so vibrant compared to what I use to remember for it.  Certainly didn't look like shit as I was expecting.

What's cool is that if Nintendo ever decided to enhance any of the games you can download the updates for free :D

Tigerriot

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 05:45:21 PM »

Is it just me or does Mario 64 look slightly better?  I mean it's so vibrant compared to what I use to remember for it.  Certainly didn't look like shit as I was expecting.

What's cool is that if Nintendo ever decided to enhance any of the games you can download the updates for free :D
Hate to break it to you, but I highly doubt Nintendo is ever going to "update" any of these games.  Unless you're talking about a patch for problems. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 05:50:55 PM by Tigerriot »

Wobedraggled

• Almost Died Once
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »
Mario 64 has the muddiness removed.

some games will have some stuff down the road, at least nintendo made mention of it when vc was first announced.

Hopefully we see stuff like starfox II show up.

Wii

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 08:21:57 PM »
Tetris Attack online! YOU HEAR ME NINTENDO?!?
AMC

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 08:27:48 PM »
i hope they boost the frame rate on a few of the n64 "classics" -- ocarina at 30 or 60 fps would pleasure my gaming orifices
duc

cubicle47b

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 08:50:10 PM »
i hope they boost the frame rate on a few of the n64 "classics" -- ocarina at 30 or 60 fps would pleasure my gaming orifices

Yes, it would.

I bought Bonk's Adventure because I wanted to use my shiny new classic controller and NOSTALGIA.  I'm eagerly awaiting Military Madness, the Holy Mario Trinity (SMB3, SMW, YI), and the good 3D Zeldas.  And I desperately wish for but will never own the SNES Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem games.  Buying Dragon Warrior 3 for the NES is going to be a sad day because I could have the OMG awesome SNES version but oh well.

Himu

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 10:17:40 PM »
It really sucks that VC is region locked. I really wanted to dl Japanese games that I missed. It'd be even more awsome if they took the pleasure of giving us translations.
IYKYK

Diablos

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 10:48:59 PM »
Anyone use the virtual console yet?

Yes!

Himu

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 10:53:55 PM »
Sorry, but I prefer playing console games on consoles.
IYKYK

Tigerriot

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 01:01:41 AM »
Exactly.

Diablos

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 07:06:33 AM »

Me too. Which is why I softmodded my Xbox and dumped all the NES ROMS on there. It's much nicer playing them like you would play any other game.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 08:30:49 AM »

Me too. Which is why I softmodded my Xbox and dumped all the NES ROMS on there. It's much nicer playing them like you would play any other game.

Yup, did this with a modded Xbox over three years ago.  Plus you can also just use a PC's TV out and a controller too.  :P 

My modded Xbox may be busted, but I don't have much desire to rerererererebuy the same old games AGAIN unless they get online play added to them like the Xbox Live Arcade titles do.
ど助平

Tigerriot

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 10:37:09 AM »
While i'm excited about the Virtual Console, and I will buy games on it, I am going to be very picky about what i'm willing to buy on it.  I recently sold my my SNES, and N64, and got around $85 for all of it.  I wouldn't be suprised if I only spend about $85 on the Virtual Console in the coming year or two.

You're not gonna find me buying Urban Champion, or Baseball.  I'm only buying the triple A titles like Zelda, and Mario 64, which i've recently purchased.  So, if people are selective, the Virtual Console is not really gonna cost people like myself much, and they can have perfect ports of some of their favorite Nintendo titles from the past.  I also get to play them with ideal controllers, and saved progress, and the sweetness that is the Wii interface.             

I honestly think that some people devalue videogames for themselves when they dump 1,000 roms onto their computer or modded Xbox.  What are those games really worth to you at that point?  You're likely never gonna play most of them, and i've heard their are always some issues with the emulation performance, and of course the controllers are never really set up to play those games perfectly.

I just see the Virtual Console as the perfect oportunity for me to own the select classics I choose to own, and have them all in one place, with perfect emulation, and perfect controls.

Diablos

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 11:39:47 AM »

Yup, did this with a modded Xbox over three years ago.  Plus you can also just use a PC's TV out and a controller too.  :P 

My modded Xbox may be busted, but I don't have much desire to rerererererebuy the same old games AGAIN unless they get online play added to them like the Xbox Live Arcade titles do.

:sonic

Shuri

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 11:55:37 AM »
Tigerriot, admit it, you'd kill for a modded xbox.

Wobedraggled

• Almost Died Once
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 12:25:08 PM »
I had a modded box, emu's and all, and yes it does devalue games, because you are overloaded with options, piracy get's old.

Wii

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2006, 12:31:18 PM »
The only virtual console game I want to play is Super Mario RPG.  I want to relive my childhood!
PSP

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 12:35:15 PM »
I bought Bonk.

I will buy Earthbound too, and maybe some other TG games.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 12:36:38 PM »
The only virtual console game I want to play is Super Mario RPG.  I want to relive my childhood!
I might buy that, considering I've played it. Super Metroid might be bought as well.

Multiplayer games really should have online added though.
AMC

Diablos

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 02:15:55 PM »
I honestly think that some people devalue videogames for themselves when they dump 1,000 roms onto their computer or modded Xbox.  What are those games really worth to you at that point?  You're likely never gonna play most of them, and i've heard their are always some issues with the emulation performance, and of course the controllers are never really set up to play those games perfectly.
Maybe if your emu sucks. But I use ZSNES for SNES roms, for example. Emulation is flawless. Saves are never lost. I can also use save states if I want.

I don't devalue a damn thing by emulating old games that you couldn't even buy until Nintendo decided to show up ten years late  to the emulation party.