Author Topic: Your mission: Help me not get electrocuted installing this PC power supply  (Read 756 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
So I just got a 500w power supply, and this afternoon i'm cramming it into my pc

i have never installed a power supply before

is there anything special i need to know besides the obvious common sense stuff
sup

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Protip:  Don't plug the power supply into wall before you try and install it. 

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
You don't have to worry about anything, since its new. I'm actually going through PSU issues right now and every time I've turned that PC on to diagnose it, I'm scared the thing will explode. Its 2 years old and wigging out.

You don't have to worry about a current if you've just unpacked it but once you plug it in, it'll start to build a charge. Even then, once you have it mounted, there's no real risk of being electrocuted.
:9

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
You don't have to worry about anything, since its new. I'm actually going through PSU issues right now and every time I've turned that PC on to diagnose it, I'm scared the thing will explode. Its 2 years old and wigging out.

You don't have to worry about a current if you've just unpacked it but once you plug it in, it'll start to build a charge. Even then, once you have it mounted, there's no real risk of being electrocuted.

Ditto.

If it's been plugged in though, take specific care when installing the power button. Installing one of those with even a half live power supply is like an Operation game gone wrong, and believe me, I know.
HLR

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
so, when i unplug my old ps unit, how long should i wait before i disconnect everything to make sure it has fully discharged?
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Just press the power button and it should discharge

Nothing's gonna happen, btw. You arent gonna die, get shocked, explode, or die
fat

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
give it 30 minutes.
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
cool, thanks

well, off to either:

1.  Have an awesome, easy install experience

2.  Gain electrical superpowers

3.  feel my old metal fillings melt inside my teeth

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i know i'm not gonna die, i'm more worried about fucking up my pc by doing something stupid
[close]
sup

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
What Demi said about pressing the power button after you've disconnected the PSU from the wall is a good rule of thumb. It'll dissipate the charge on the mobo, lowering the chances of zapping a part of the mainboard.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
What Demi said about pressing the power button after you've disconnected the PSU from the wall is a good rule of thumb. It'll dissipate the charge on the mobo, lowering the chances of zapping a part of the mainboard.

There you go.

HLR

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: Your mission: Help me not get electrocuted installing this PC power supply
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 07:24:40 PM »
well, i installed the power supply, and the 8800gts, and only broke a couple of little plastic latches while shifting stuff around to make room, so i think i did okay

i got a "system fan failure" alert when i first cut it on, but i looked inside and all the fans were going, and the error didn't appear again on reboot, so i don't know what that was all about
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 07:27:24 PM »
i got the latest firmware off the nvidia site, but is there any other firmware i should look into?

i was using something called forceware on the last card, showed system temp and everything, but this firmware doesn't show any of that
sup

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 07:29:07 PM »
give it 30 minutes.
:lol  ;)

The plugs only fit in the places they are supposed to go in. :)
©ZH

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 07:43:49 PM »
i got the latest firmware off the nvidia site, but is there any other firmware i should look into?

i was using something called forceware on the last card, showed system temp and everything, but this firmware doesn't show any of that

Rivatuner is good for looking at GPU temps but I think Nvidia also has software for this. I don't remember what its called but there's software that monitors all fans and temps on the PC (if there's sensors).

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 07:45:21 PM »
I just use the default nvidia driver, I dont fuck with that OCing shit
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »
hey i ran pc wizard and it's telling me my 8800gts is running at 79 degrees on idle

that seems way too high

is there any way to get it cooler?
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »
79 degrees is cool for an 8800! folks have 'em reliably peg 110-120 under peak performance! they run fuckin' hot.
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 08:24:09 PM »
okay, i was just comparing it to my old 7600gs, which never even reached that temp
sup