Author Topic: Baten Kaitos, worth finishing?  (Read 1136 times)

Mondain

• no bias
Baten Kaitos, worth finishing?
« on: November 25, 2006, 08:54:10 PM »
Sigh. Yet another boring saturday evening. After contemplating the prospects of about 40-50 exciting but unfinished JRPGs and adventures spread onto various memory cards and hard drives, what better option is there than to... begin another?

Seems like OA's Rooter's endless trolling of "Baten Kaitos is the best last-gen RPG" finally got to me, as after realizing that the Wii would have the same memory card slots as the GameCube has for its backward compatibility functions, and that the GameCube through component in progressive upscaled amazingly well on HDTVs... it appeared reasonable to begin a new game.

And now after about four hours I don't know what to think. Seems like a love/hate RPG.The battle system with cards is weird as hell, but surprisingly fun to use. Not sure that I understand all the nuances. It doesn't seem fun to manage the cards and acquire brand new ones though.

Plot seems like typical JRPG emo fodder so far. Voice acting is horrible. The main character is an extremely repelling and unlikeable jerk for some reason. The sole truly great point so far is the battle music, I could listen to these themes endlessly. Beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds too.

For those who completed it or got farther than me, does this all get better? What about the recently released sequel, worth a rental if you liked the first one?

Or would it be better to simply stop being so damn lazy and anal about quality and take heed of Valkyrie Profile 2's/Suikoden 5's/Final Fantaxy XII's/KOTOR's/Digital Devil Saga's/Xenosaga 2's/Chrono Trigger's/Chrono Cross'/Okami's/Yakuza's/Oblivion's/Enchanted Arms'/Devil Summoner's/Wind Waker's/Tales of the Abyss'/etc etc... callings?

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: Baten Kaitos, worth finishing?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 09:09:28 PM »
In short, no.  Not worth it.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 09:33:13 PM »
BK1, no. BK Origins, on the other hand, was actually pretty good.
duc

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 09:50:05 PM »
do i need to finish the original in order to understand the sequel

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 10:05:37 PM »
I didn't!
duc

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 11:44:11 PM »
I finished it. Quit being a pussy. It was pretty good for $20. Will pick up Origins sooner or later.

I did this uber combo on the last boss that took over half it's HP and it was pretty cool

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 01:11:53 AM »
Dragon Quest VIII seems to be the one RPG in recent memory that didn't bore the living hell out of my lethargic carcass... I completed it and kept wishing for more, never really happened with any other save for maybe Xenosaga... and then again DQ8 had a pretty average plot, but the visuals and especially the soundtrack were so fucking amazing :/

well in fact it would happen with FF12 but im somewhat tired of the MMORPG battles-- it's still a great, great game though, it's just silly me who's being a picky spoiled fuck

sometimes id wish to go back to the days where you were a kid with only a single console system and could only rent games every now and then... now as soon as something gets too uninteresting for a prolongated period of time it just doesnt seem worthy of being pursued when you can experiment something fresh instead... and when you know the gaming industry and all the scores by heart, you always know that there're better options than to bear frustration...

meh at least recently I completed Gears and this was a fucking blast all around, seemed like forever that such sensations didn't happen
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 01:18:36 AM by Mondain »