Author Topic: Gears of War 2 THREAD  (Read 43183 times)

trh

Re: Gears of War 2 THREAD
« Reply #300 on: November 14, 2008, 07:57:59 AM »
I ran through insane co-op with a friend and the difficulty seriously doesn't hold a candle to solo insane, being able to get revived helps so much.

And I got all the achievements sans the guardian, which I'm getting later today, and the 1999 rounds/100 000 kills ones. :-*

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #301 on: November 14, 2008, 08:02:18 AM »
lol, 100k

I'll pass on that, and the 1999 matches one.
fat

Darunia

« Reply #302 on: November 14, 2008, 08:08:25 AM »
1999 rounds can be done by just leaving the console on

-local game, 1 bot, 15 rounds to win
-1 minute round
-all weapons mulcher
-avalanche map

the round will end on stalemate and this will continue on forever

trh

« Reply #303 on: November 14, 2008, 08:19:26 AM »
I'm at 5.5k kills and 500 rounds in a week, totally going for both of em.

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #304 on: November 14, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »
Dom is worthless. The only thing he brings to the table is NPC toughness. He can apparently absorb about 3x as many bullets as I can, so when fighting a reaver or something, just try to let him get its attention and you'll be free to toss grenades.

The real trick is to get under the Reavers and shoot this pinkish part of their body. They go down like pussies after that.

And who thought it was a good idea to replace THE COLE TRAIN with a faceless rookie?

You better not be talking about Carmine. I will go down to new york TODAY and beat your silly ass with my carmine faceplate and while wearing my "Carmine's best friend" t-shirt. Cole Train is amazing(and pretty racist to others) but Carmine is like the face of Gears of War.

Carmine is okay, but he's no COLE TRAIN. It's like. Chicken is tasty, but it's not BACON
wha

dark1x

« Reply #305 on: November 14, 2008, 11:07:51 AM »
Honestly, who the fuck could go back to playing Gears 1 after they've played Gears 2?  PC or not, the leap in quality between the two games is enormous.

I don't know how the hell is Epic ever going to top this for Gears 3.
I can.  I think Gears 1 is every bit as good as Gears 2 and I much prefer the environments in Gears 1.  Though, in the end, I suppose Gears 2 is indeed the better game.

trh

« Reply #306 on: November 14, 2008, 12:51:36 PM »
Holy fffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Played a game of Guardian with an unknown group of people, up against some asian people who were host so I had like a two second lag on every shot. First round, everyone on my team, including the leader, is dead. I'm alone versus their entire team with infinite respawns, unless I get their leader. I take down five people in a row, take out their leader, and take out the remaining four left. Ten god damn kills. :bow me :bow2 I outplayed those fuckers so bad. Ended up with 18 kills total, they won 3-2 though.

Despite all its flaws I'm definitely enjoying the multiplayer, it took a while but once I got used to it it got way more fun. They've made some weird decisions, but overall it beats Gears 1 by a mile.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #307 on: November 14, 2008, 01:13:35 PM »
Honestly, who the fuck could go back to playing Gears 1 after they've played Gears 2?  PC or not, the leap in quality between the two games is enormous.

I don't know how the hell is Epic ever going to top this for Gears 3.
I can.  I think Gears 1 is every bit as good as Gears 2 and I much prefer the environments in Gears 1.  Though, in the end, I suppose Gears 2 is indeed the better game.

Yeah I've read that you somehow prefer the environments in the first one over the sequel, which I don't quite understand to be honest, but whatever.  I think what's there in GeoW2 is pretty spectacular.  The detail in the building  architecture in the hive level easily matches the best of Gears 1 and makes up for any perceivable lack of quality in the city areas imo.

And I just found Gears 1 to be a little boring with too many similar encounters.  There were some fun sections, I admit, but nothing really that memorable.  It was like a kernel of an idea that need some more room to grow.  Thankfully Epic delivered more than I expected they would and gave us an exponentially better game in every way possible.....minus the tank stage. :p
Tacos

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #308 on: November 14, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »
Gears 2 campaign destroys Gears 1. Tons more variety in gameplay and in environments.

Jansen

« Reply #309 on: November 14, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
i could see why plenty of people would go back to gears 1 multiplayer until epic fixes the mess they created.

- the complete neutering of the shotgun (i know it needed to be toned down, but it's almost worthless now).

- the chainsaw is way over powered (at close range i can shoot the shit out of someone getting up from being revived with the shotty and as long as they're revving the chainsaw i'll die).

- completely fucked up matchmaking. getting into a game shouldn't take so fucking long.

going back to gears 1 for its campaign is lol tho. especially if you're doing so for the enviroments. cuz the enviroments in gears 1 are not in anyway shape or form better then 2s.

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #310 on: November 14, 2008, 01:51:05 PM »
First part of act 3 is the best so far (the plant and the hail). Gears is at its best in close quarters combat, with densely populated cover opportunities. I don't agree with people who always want it 'bigger' with more enemies cause you have to pull back the perspective and 'zoom out' (guess people always want the 'epic', ugh). In Gears it's better when you're up close fighting a few locusts and the combat situation changes, which they do a lot in first part of Act 3. Zooming out is nice every now and then to change up the pace, but not too much.
Also didn't know that shooting the gastank of flamer would blow up the locust, very cool to see. Lots of other cool details like a down but not out scorched locust crawling and huffing and puffing from the smoke. He was behind cover so I couldn't see him but I could hear him, so I scorched him some more and he started screaming. The plant is also the prettiest part so far, those glass tubes look like concept art, incredibly beautiful. Haven't seen something that close to concept art in any other game.
The palette cleansers are a bit frustrating sometimes though, the vehicle section (in the snow)  is better this time, but it's still not good. The ice breaking up reminds me of the end of Halo 3, which made me realize how there's no other game/shooter I've played that can change the combat scale as well as Halo can, it's great/fantastic at all level. From small quarters combat to big vehicle sections or battles on foot.
I'm really liking it, it's one hell of a ride and Gears does the 'squad' feeling better than anything else. I can remember all the characters and it's cool how the first part of the game has your squad constantly changing.

Still have to end act 3, just met up with some dudes in the cave.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:58:07 PM by Tieno »
i

cool breeze

« Reply #311 on: November 14, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »
Out of those issues only the matchmaking is the only one that bothers me, and when I say bothers me, I mean it completely kills the multiplayer for me.  I'll hold off on playing it until they fix that issue.  The shotgun issue is not a big time and even the chainsaw issue isn't too bad.  It's pretty obvious that they want you to chainsaw dual a lot, the problem is that you don't always have the Lancer handy.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #312 on: November 14, 2008, 02:24:53 PM »
Still have to end act 3, just met up with some dudes in the cave.

I love that section.  When I first got there after the tank bullshit I was thinking to myself  "great, another cave" but by the end I couldn't stop smiling.
Tacos

Mrbob

« Reply #313 on: November 15, 2008, 12:31:13 AM »
Man R2 storyline must be complete and utter shit if Gears 2 is an upgrade.

Emo Dom cry moar.  Shooting is pretty good.  I'm midway chapter 2 right now havent had that oh shit moment yet.

Also the early Brumak battles are disappointing as hell.  Gears 1 sets them up as these huge hulking beasts to be feared, and I've taken out 4 or 5 already in Gears 2 like they are damn grunts. What the fuck. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:34:48 AM by Mrbob »

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #314 on: November 15, 2008, 10:38:15 AM »
I hate bossfights with the fury of a thousand suns, I hate them even more in shooters. Same with Gears 2, can't stand it. Only bossfight in a shooter I've been able to stomach...well absolutely loved, are the scarabs in Halo 3 (my favorite gaming moment of 2007). Everything else is so fucking annoying. Just finished the 4 act and starting with the flying sequence.

God, I hate bossfights, I HATE THEM SO FUCKING MUCH it taints my experience of Gears 2. They give some really cool firefights throughout the game though, but man I just don't want bossfights AT ALL. The drama cutscenes are pretty nicely done, better than in a lot of other games. Pretty true to the spirit of the game and marcus.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:48:12 AM by Tieno »
i

Darunia

« Reply #315 on: November 15, 2008, 12:13:49 PM »
I hate bossfights with the fury of a thousand suns, I hate them even more in shooters. Same with Gears 2, can't stand it. Only bossfight in a shooter I've been able to stomach...well absolutely loved, are the scarabs in Halo 3 (my favorite gaming moment of 2007). Everything else is so fucking annoying. Just finished the 4 act and starting with the flying sequence.

God, I hate bossfights, I HATE THEM SO FUCKING MUCH it taints my experience of Gears 2. They give some really cool firefights throughout the game though, but man I just don't want bossfights AT ALL. The drama cutscenes are pretty nicely done, better than in a lot of other games. Pretty true to the spirit of the game and marcus.

calm down :p

bossfights in gears 2? how many are there, 1?

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #316 on: November 15, 2008, 12:17:23 PM »

the last one is like...credits mini boss lol.

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #317 on: November 15, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »
anyone wanna play?  add me @ HIPPO SMASH

im down for whatever
hey

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #318 on: November 15, 2008, 02:10:39 PM »
Finished the campaign and rather conflicted on it. They improved on a lot of stuff, especially the presentation (achievements progress, warbook etc) and the dramatic direction of the cutscenes, which is up there with the best in the industry. The 'hard' scenes were done surprisingly well and in character with the game, especially for a game. Love the squad interaction, it's great and funny. Dialogue is great, I don't know why people bag on it so much, do they realize what kind of game this is? Do you need philosophic ramblings in order for dialogue to be good? No, it needs to true to the game. It was always on key and delivered well.

I do feel that in pursuit of 'varied' gameplay and 'epic' encounters there wasn't enough of the core gameplay I loved so much in Gears 1. The gun battles in tight environment with regular Locusts (anything from reavers and up is a no no). The intimate combat, as Cliff likes to call it, wasn't in the quantity I would have liked. I hardly had to use the shotgun, which was the weapon for intimate combat in Gears1, because I usually was so far away or in situations where I had to do something different. Now, the actual combat scenarios they give you where you can do some close up shooting and maneuvering around cover are definitely a step up and more imaginative from Gears 1, quality was improved. But I fucking hate people who always want more 'epic=more enemies on screen'. Which means they have to zoom out and Gears is at its best zoomed in.

The palette cleansers were hit and miss and caused  lot of frustration for me on hardcore. Either due to bad controls, too hard or mix of both. They don't need to be hard, they need to be fun. The brumak rodeo was actually good, just give the player an overpowered tool for a short time and let him go nuts.

Don't think I'll replay this game as much as the first one due to my criticisms.

Now on to Horde.

calm down :p

bossfights in gears 2? how many are there, 1?
2 or 3 I think.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 02:25:13 PM by Tieno »
i

Darunia

« Reply #319 on: November 15, 2008, 03:30:19 PM »
well the only 'real' bossfight was the Leviathan imo, Skorge was just avoiding stuff and bashing B.

I sort of understand your complaints about the encounters, but I don't really agree with them. I had just as much fun, if not more, during the fights compared to gears 1.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #320 on: November 15, 2008, 09:49:40 PM »
Tieno, have you played Horde yet?

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #321 on: November 15, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »
okay I'll be playing horde tonight, I'll be down to play through it with someone. I dibs Tai

ch1nchilla

« Reply #322 on: November 15, 2008, 10:39:59 PM »
Almost done with the campaign so far (normal difficulty), for me it feels like too much of the game took place in the center of the world, and a lot of the game was very murky in appearance as a result. I'll definitely play through it again on hardcore through co-op, so hopefully it'll be better without a distinguished mentally-challenged AI teammate.

The package as a whole, however, including multiplayer, was awesome. So a pretty good sequel, I'd say. I guess I still have to finish to have a real opinion, though...

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #323 on: November 15, 2008, 10:39:59 PM »
Beat the campaign today - loved every minute of it except for fucking driving the Centaur over the frozen lake.  I thought Gears of War was a fun shooter with an okay campaign and pretty awful multiplayer.  But here, they expand on everything and make an incredibly fun single player experience and Horde mode is so fun that it gives this game real legs.
PSP

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #324 on: November 15, 2008, 10:50:46 PM »
I actually agree. I've played Gears a lot but I'm not sure I'll be replaying Gears 2 soon. It might be just because it's longer...
haw

Mrbob

« Reply #325 on: November 16, 2008, 02:14:34 AM »
Yeah the set pieces are way too open in this game.  The feel of gears 1 is somewhat lost in favor of attempting to be bigger and badder.  Also, the lack of cohesion in the set pieces is a bit ridiculous as well.  Gears flowed well level to level, Gears 2 does not.  Here I am underground and move forward on a fucking pirate ship, and then you go into a damn rock worm after a short stay back on the surface.  Seriously (2.0)?  To be even more crazy, the rock worm is a damn death trap with puzzles galore  combining indiana jones and contra rip offs.  Get away from the boulder inside the rock worm!  Oh cut the heart so the secret passage can open to a new area.  But instead of doing it  two times, cut the next one three times!  Me and DM were playing online co op, and we joked after the secret passage comes up  we'll have to cut another set of heart arteries 4 times.  Sure enough this ends up being the case, the secret passage opened up after 3 arteries were cut and now lets move onto the next!  The only problem with Gears 2 is that it is too good?  Holy fuck the overstatement of a century.  This single player is the Spiderman 3 of game sequels.  Horrible dialogue (hell even the cole train isn't funny yet), horrible script that's trying to be MGS4 but failing, and level design which is worse than the first game so far.  The game isn't horrible, but it is barely servicable at the moment.  Here is hoping the second half of the game picks up. 

Beezy

« Reply #326 on: November 16, 2008, 02:22:20 AM »
horrible script that's trying to be MGS4 but failing
What? You're gonna have to explain that one.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #327 on: November 16, 2008, 02:25:08 AM »
Yeah, Gears makes sense
o_0

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #328 on: November 16, 2008, 02:31:37 AM »
cole train > liquid ocelot
萌え~

Mrbob

« Reply #329 on: November 16, 2008, 02:34:28 AM »
I get the feeling of a setting of doom and gloom around Marcus and Dom trying to hunt down the locust.  It almost feels like its a last mission for an old time crew, sort of how MGS4 sets up solid snakes last mission.  The main difference Gears 2 is trying to be too serious for its own good.  Hell, at least Kojima had the ability to know the world of metal gear was basically bullshit, and he would poke fun with the storyline and make it go crazy at times.  This is part of the charm.  Epic must be drinking the "Game scripts can be as entertaining as hollywood movies!" kool aid.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 02:36:46 AM by Mrbob »

Mrbob

« Reply #330 on: November 16, 2008, 02:44:35 AM »
Just so anyone doesn't think I'm blindly hating on the game, Horde mode is pretty damn awesome.  I will play that for awhile. 

I'll replay Gears 2 on insane for achievements, but I don't think I'll have more than two play throughs on this title.  Gears I finished many times. 

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #331 on: November 16, 2008, 03:07:20 AM »
Combat is as great as always, but I really hope this Dom love story shit doesn't stay in the spotlight. And :wtf unskippable cutscenes? Visually, if people say it's an improvement then I guess it is. Lighting seems strangely flat, but I'm only one chapter deep.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:10:49 AM by duckman2000 »

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #332 on: November 16, 2008, 03:15:59 AM »
I've found the script to be pretty good. Handled very well, like how Marcus's reacts to some of the stuff taking place in the game. Rather understated and true to the extreme tough nature of his character, yet not devoid of sympathy. The love story doesn't get that much attention anyway, they don't linger on it too much.
Tieno, have you played Horde yet?
Played it last night and I loved it. It's very good.
i

duckman2000

« Reply #333 on: November 16, 2008, 03:35:46 AM »
Yeah, Epic has a sense for creating weapons that feel genuinely brutal that most other developers just can't approach. That, and the audible crunchsplat when you perform even a long distance headshot is just plain neat. One thing though, did they decrease the level of gibbing? I tried shooting the limbs off of some dead locust, and got nothing.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #334 on: November 16, 2008, 04:00:28 AM »
push the back button, that skips cutscenes. Must be really hard remembering that button is there when youre on a Suxxaxis all the time

Beezy

« Reply #335 on: November 16, 2008, 04:11:51 AM »
It almost feels like its a last mission for an old time crew, sort of how MGS4 sets up solid snakes last mission. The main difference Gears 2 is trying to be too serious for its own good.
Wtf, no it doesn't. Not at all. I think you're overanalyzing the simple ass story in Gears 2. The only time that the game ever feels like it's trying to be serious is when
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dom finds Maria.
[close]
Everything else feels like a cheap action movie.

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #336 on: November 16, 2008, 04:26:11 AM »
:bow Horde on Avalanche :bow2

Our team dug in on this platform at one side of the map, with two mini-guns (they feel so heavy and powerful), lots of horde. The firefights you see all around you, boomers, maulers, flamers, locust, your other teammates, all doing their part in this big battle. The sound, the bullets...so fucking cool to see it.

What a fantastic mode, had some very good intimate combat too with my flamer and shotgun. Trying to get to downed people, reviving them.

Epic is so good at nailing the details of the sound and the visuals. Popping a head never gets old, hearing the locust scream as they get flamed or breath heavily as they're downed by my flamer. The boomers and flamers yelling.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:30:58 AM by Tieno »
i

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #337 on: November 16, 2008, 08:59:46 AM »
Haha, I think I IM'd Prole that Horde was the new Terrorist Hunt, so it's funny that you'd state that.
PSP

Beezy

« Reply #338 on: November 16, 2008, 09:14:28 AM »
It almost feels like its a last mission for an old time crew, sort of how MGS4 sets up solid snakes last mission. The main difference Gears 2 is trying to be too serious for its own good.

dood - it's Mr Bob.

I don't know anything about this guy.

Mrbob

« Reply #339 on: November 16, 2008, 10:42:57 AM »
Dcharlie thinks I get a hard on for bashing things totally xbox.  When I don't...I just call it like I see it.

The firefights are getting better now that I got out of the worm.

<3 Flame Thrower

y2kev

« Reply #340 on: November 16, 2008, 11:04:35 AM »
hello hillary 
haw

Mrbob

« Reply #341 on: November 16, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »
Hello Tales fanatic.   :D

y2kev

« Reply #342 on: November 16, 2008, 12:51:21 PM »
:cheflop
haw

duckman2000

« Reply #343 on: November 16, 2008, 12:53:22 PM »
Alright, the next developer to include a "shoot down the threats before they destroy the ship!" shit section of shitty shit can seriously eat tar and die.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #344 on: November 16, 2008, 01:03:28 PM »
Alright, the next developer to include a "shoot down the threats before they destroy the ship!" shit section of shitty shit can seriously eat tar and die.

Still mad about R2 being an overrated POS and Gears continuing to be a GOTY franchise? 

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #345 on: November 16, 2008, 01:04:25 PM »

Still mad about R2 being an overrated POS and Gears continuing to be a GOTY franchise? 
Just say 'Haze' to achieve the result you're aiming for.
i

duckman2000

« Reply #346 on: November 16, 2008, 01:08:13 PM »

I don't think I've once claimed that Resistance was better than Gears, and R2 is certainly not better than Gears 2, based on what I've played. That doesn't stop Gears 2 from having some seriously shitty, too-standard things in it.

:piss Protect the vehicle against incoming threats! :piss2
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:09:50 PM by duckman2000 »

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #347 on: November 16, 2008, 01:10:25 PM »
Nah, Duckman has already been hazed enough.  

I'm just rubbing it in 'cause I predicted that R2 would be an overrated POS.  

duckman2000

« Reply #348 on: November 16, 2008, 03:15:25 PM »
Meh, I've had time to get used to that, what with the MP "beta" being what it was. I didn't realize that SP would be as much of a Halo clone as it was, but all the signs were there. By far the most infuriating thing about it is that it's received an overall warmer welcome than the first one, despite being 10x as derivative.

To their credit though, in my few hours with the game, I never encountered a single "eliminate the incoming threats before they hit our vessel" scenario. It did, however, feature a plethora of "shoot it head one with the indicated gun for a great win" scenarios.  :-X

drohne

« Reply #349 on: November 16, 2008, 04:07:31 PM »
tieno's right on about the campaign relative to the first game's. though i like boss battles in general, and i liked the leviathan fight out of gears 2's boss battles. i don't think the story was any good, and i'm not sure you can tell a good story about characters who look like giant walking scabs

y2kev

« Reply #350 on: November 16, 2008, 05:54:59 PM »
What Halo twist are we talking about exactly?
haw

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #351 on: November 16, 2008, 06:02:11 PM »
the lambent?
i

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #352 on: November 16, 2008, 06:15:24 PM »
I didn't mind the level so much but they didn't do anything with it after it was done which was a little confusing.  I mean why even introduce something like that if there's no pay off?  It was kind of like "OK, now here's some Flood-like shit.  Finished?  Alright now let's get back in the tank and never speak of this again."
Tacos

y2kev

« Reply #353 on: November 16, 2008, 06:22:50 PM »
the lambent?

But that's ultimately just a story twist, right? I mean you never actually fight the Lambent. They don't have any real effect on the game proper, do they?

Or are the Sire things lambent? I don't know, I just help up the chain saw and ran through. Kind of easy.
haw

ch1nchilla

« Reply #354 on: November 16, 2008, 07:16:33 PM »
Finishing up on normal now, honestly getting very fatigued. Maybe I should mix it up and play more multiplayer.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #355 on: November 16, 2008, 08:48:53 PM »
the lambent are the glowy locust I think
萌え~

y2kev

« Reply #356 on: November 16, 2008, 08:56:31 PM »
But that's ultimately just a story twist, right? I mean you never actually fight the Lambent. They don't have any real effect on the game proper, do they?

you DO fight the Lambent on SEVERAL occassions! AND they are introduced as 'the real bad guys that can destroy everything'. They even use the damn word "flood" in describing them :/ They are obviously a big part of Gears 3. I don't get it - it's like they lifted the idea straight out of Halo... THE WORST part of Halo i may add.
[close]
Where? They say "there's a flood of them," which I thought was pretty funny.

I remember the lambent wretches in Gears 1, but I just figured they were exploding wretches. I didn't really adopt any new gameplay strategy or anything. Just shoot 'em in the haaaayd
haw

y2kev

« Reply #357 on: November 16, 2008, 09:06:28 PM »
that fight is such bullshit
haw

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #358 on: November 16, 2008, 11:54:37 PM »
It wasnt as hard as the photojornalist achievement, you had to press 3 buttons for that one.

Also why is no-one discussing the fucking huge twist?
that the locust are actually man made organisms
[close]

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #359 on: November 16, 2008, 11:58:22 PM »
Because it's not a twist LOL cmon
fat