Author Topic: Sometimes I wonder about all these people who have game systems break on them...  (Read 2211 times)

Tigerriot

You know how it goes.  People talk about their broken system on a board, and everyone tells them they're probably didn't handle it right.  Then the person with the broken system replies with "You're all assholes!  I treat my systems like gold, I am EXTREMELY careful with them, and it's not my fault.".

I've seen it a thousand times, and I always can't help but wonder how it happens to certain people more often than others.  I've owned just about every system made in the past 20 years, and somtimes multiples of those systems.  I've never had one break on me.  NEVER.  Even my Xbox 360 which i've had since launch is still running like a champ.

So, i'm talking to this friend of mine today, and he tells me how his 360 he just bought has been freezing a lot on him, and he thinks it was probably because of the most recent update.  He then acknowledges that he has been keeping the system on his thick shag carpeting though, and that might have something to do with it.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

The crazy thing is, this guy is not some newb to owning machines like this.  He's a computer nerd, and he's owned more than few game consoles before.  Yet he buys a new 360 for $400, and he decides to place it on the carpeting as a good location.  I'm still stunned by this admission on this part, and it makes me wonder about people that have a system break but swear up and down that they know how to take care of their shit just fine. 

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
Even so, when I pick up my 360 I'm getting an extended warranty; I can't afford to buy a new 360 if mine were to break. :-\
BKO

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
Right Tiggeriot.

It's people who do stupid things sometimes without knowing that their doing it may make a system break.  Remember that guy from Gaming-Age who put his 360 on his stero, and kept claiming that they were breaking?

I still have my launch PS2, and it's never fucked up...yet people are claiming they were breaking left and right.

Tigerriot

Even so, when I pick up my 360 I'm getting an extended warranty; I can't afford to buy a new 360 if mine were to break. :-\
Yeah, I don't want to give the impression that I think every system that breaks is because of the user.  But I do wonder just how many are because of the user.  I would still recommend that anyone who buys a 360, get an extended warranty on it.  That system has the worst failure rate of any console ever made.  I had never bought a warranty on a game system before I did for my 360.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Three feet away from me is a torn apart ps2 in a cardboard box, that Im thinking of burning.
萌え~

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Right Tiggeriot.

It's people who do stupid things sometimes without knowing that their doing it may make a system break.  Remember that guy from Gaming-Age who put his 360 on his stero, and kept claiming that they were breaking?

I still have my launch PS2, and it's never fucked up...yet people are claiming they were breaking left and right.

Yeah he put his 360 on his subwoofer and gaf caught him on it, it was hilarious.

Anyway, if you ask me ps2 is still the reining champion piece of shit console. Disc read errors are an eventuality for damn near 100% of the consoles. I bought a new one just recently for ff12, but now I run my games from a hdd to prevent laser wear.
萌え~

Tigerriot

Right Tiggeriot.

Yeah he put his 360 on his subwoofer and gaf caught him on it, it was hilarious.

Anyway, if you ask me ps2 is still the reining champion piece of shit console. Disc read errors are an eventuality for damn near 100% of the consoles. I bought a new one just recently for ff12, but now I run my games from a hdd to prevent laser wear.
I imported a PS2 at launch from JAPAN.  Never had a disc read error on that system, and I sold it three years later.  I also bought a U.S PS2 at launch, and never had a single disc read error.  I sold that one a year ago, but now own a Slim PS2 that works perfectly.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
When I worked at an EB we used to get a lot of systems in for trade. The condition they came back in always blew my mind. I mean you'd have old soda stains, dust, grime, that weird yellow from smoking in the house, cookies crumbs.. I mean the list went on.

I mean is it that hard to put your console on an entertainment tower, dust it from time to time, and not lean over it with cookies and soda? Fuck I wont let people eat while using my game controllers even. They have to wash their hands if they have just eaten. I hate that food slime controllers get if you dont moderate stuff.
o_0

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship

There are so many variables with consoles. Some people lug theirs around every weekend, some people leave them on for 30 hours at a time, some people only log in 100 hours a year.  No one is ever really honest on how they treat their consoles.

Back in college, my PSx was in almost constant use. If I was away at work or school ... somebody was using it back at home. It was literally getting about 16 hours of play a day. So, no surprise that it broke 2 or 3 times.  Really, the only console I ever had problems with.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
I rarely move my consoles, and I keep them on stable surfaces in raised and ventilated locations free from dust and detritus. As a result, I have very few console failures. With one exception -- our pal TVC-15, who seems to have just the shittiest luck when it comes to console hardware -- the folks I knew with broken consoles had them on a carpeted floor (one had it half over a HEATING GRATE) or in places where it could regularly kicked or dropped. One friend would unattach his PS2 and put it back in the packaging every evening, cuz he thought it would "be safer that way" -- WTF.
duc

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Right Tiggeriot.

I imported a PS2 at launch from JAPAN.  Never had a disc read error on that system, and I sold it three years later.  I also bought a U.S PS2 at launch, and never had a single disc read error.  I sold that one a year ago, but now own a Slim PS2 that works perfectly.
  I must just have bad luck.
萌え~

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
my first Ps2 broke down after a year and i treated that thing like i treat my women!
UNF

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
You took your PS2 to the Olive Garden and made it pick from the specials menu?
PSP

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
I also don't let people anywhere near my consoles (well, when I had them :( ) with food or drink in hand. Hell, I won't even let people touch my DVDs without making sure their hands are clean first.

Yeah, I'm anal... :-[
BKO

Himu

I'm on my second ps2 and it's fucking up. I need a 3rd one already.

Now, looking at my past hardware history, you'll be amazed to find that NONE of my other consoles have fucked up.

Coincidence? No.

Right Tiggeriot.

The Japanese and EU ps2s don't have much problem apparently.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 04:57:09 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

cubicle47b

The Xbox 360 is the only console I've ever had problems with and neither the console or the power brick were ever laid on carpet or abused in any way.  It just started locking up randomly.  Some days it would run all day without problems.  Some days it would lock up within 15 minutes of turning the system on and continue to do that until I got frustrated and quit playing.  I have no idea what was going on there.

Diablos

My PSX broke by itself. SCPH-1001. Power supply blew, and the CD-ROM decided to stop working.
Replacement SCPH-7501 worked just fine.

My PS2 worked just fine up until late last year when FINALLY, the lens started to weaken a bit. No disc read errors yet, but it does take longer to detect discs, and sometimes loading in games is noticeably longer. I've opened it up twice and fixed it to keep it going though. But it lasted through the whole gen, so I can't complain.

My Xbox works just as good as it did the day I bought it in 2003.

Mupepe

• Icon
Well, i had really good luck up until this gen.  My 360 died on me a few nights ago after 8 months of loyal use.  My PS3 was DOA on launch day. 

But EGM92 proved that some people just don't know how to take care of their consoles