Author Topic: Why Activision dumped Sierra's games  (Read 1614 times)

Green Man

Why Activision dumped Sierra's games
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »
Activision Blizzard boss Bobby Kotick has explained that various Sierra (Vivendi) games were dumped for not exhibiting "potential to be exploited every year across every platform".

Among those dropped during the Vivendi-Activision merger were Brutal Legend, Ghostbusters and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. Fortunately, other publishers are pecking at the remains; Atari looks poised to publish Ghostbusters and THQ will do the honours with 50 Cent.

"Why don't we start with the Vivendi Games businesses: there were a lot of different projects and businesses that we identified as not likely to achieve the profit margin potential that we look for," Kotick told investors in a financial call, painstakingly transcribed on Seeking Alpha.

"With respect to the franchises that don't have the potential to be exploited every year across every platform with clear sequel potential that can meet our objectives of over time becoming USD 100 million plus franchises, that's a strategy that has worked very well for us."

The plan is to work on titles that will still in the public eye 10 years from now. And to achieve this, Activision Blizzard has a whopping 15 properties across 70 SKUs planned for 2009 - 40 per cent more than in 2008.

Kotick said these will include new titles in the Call of Duty and Guitar Hero series, as well as film tie-ins Transformers, Wolverine, Monsters Versus Aliens and Ice Age.

There's a Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 on the way; more James Bond and Tony Hawk outings; and the eventual release of Wolfenstein.

But Kotick also has plans for "three, maybe four exciting new intellectual properties", including Prototype, Singularity and the racing game from PGR brain-box Bizarre Creations.

Guitar Hero will naturally play a key part for Activision, too, and bigwig Mike Griffith is boisterous about the Christmas potential of Guitar Hero World Tour.

"Our retail checks indicate that the Guitar Hero World Tour band kit is outselling its only competitor by a very wide margin," said Griffith.

"The band kit launch quantities are virtually sold out across the channel and even with our manufacturers at full capacity and a continuous flow of supply throughout the quarter, we are likely to not be able to keep up with demand for the band kits this holiday."

Griffith expects rather a lot of money to be made from downloadable songs as well, with more than 25 million tracks gobbled up by fans so far. He also mentioned the possibility of selling these songs "on a subscription basis", but said little more on the matter.

Good to know that cutting those games saved them from being run into the ground.

dark1x

Re: Why Activision dumped Sierra's games
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 10:06:03 AM »
Wow, that almost sounds like a joke.  :\  It was always obvious that Activision subscribed to this formula, but to actually hear them state it directly is pretty startling.

Beezy

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 10:22:21 AM »
Wow, they're full of shit.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »
Activision the new EA confirmed.
野球

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:44:37 AM »
Activision the new EA confirmed.

And aside from SecureROM, EA is becoming the old school original EA.
CBG

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 12:05:28 PM »
Ill never forgive activision for MechWarrior 3
o_0

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 12:30:56 PM »
Ill never forgive activision for MechWarrior 3

Or Interstate '82. Worst sequel ever.
CBG

MrAngryFace

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 12:31:39 PM »
Jesus MechWarrior 3 was like some watered down FPS
o_0

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 12:31:55 PM »
If they can't tony hawk it, they don't want it.
zzzzz

ManaByte

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 12:33:13 PM »
Jesus MechWarrior 3 was like some watered down FPS

But wasn't it not developed by Activision? It was Microprose/Zipper Interactive IIRC.
CBG

MrAngryFace

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 12:36:43 PM »
Activision could have said NO :( They were our last hope
o_0

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »
}Ö{

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 01:55:19 PM »
if Activision wanted to regain some cool points, they could swoop in and buy the still warm corpse of Paradigm and get some sort of nifty automotive action game series going.

But they won't do that.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 04:02:36 PM »
I don't know about everyone else, but I can't wait to buy a Tony Hawk, Call of Duty, and Guitar Hero game every year for the next ten years.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 05:49:09 PM »
I hope Blizzard won't be spoiled by its rotting flesh but it's too late now (3 Starcraft 2 games) anyway :'(

:violin Blizzard :violin

Sucks for Blizzard, because now they will only be able to make games that they can milk for sequels for the next 10 years. Oh wait...
©@©™

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 05:50:23 PM »
I don't know about everyone else, but I can't wait to buy a Tony Hawk, Call of Duty, and Guitar Hero game every year for the next ten years.

I demand a Call of Duty game starring Tony Hawk that is played with the guitar controller.
野球

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 07:30:04 PM »

I demand a Call of Duty game starring Tony Hawk that is played with the guitar controller.

Call of Duty: The Ballad of Tony Rawk

ManaByte

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 07:55:30 PM »
I hope Infinity Ward can break off. I feel like they could do a lot more if Activision wasn't holding them back.  I hope World at War is the last COD game I buy. It might be good enough to not suck and has my favorite gun of all(M1 Grand) but it's such a hardcore rehash of COD4.

IW is already working on COD6: NAZIS IN SPACE
CBG