Author Topic: Motorstorm.  (Read 5815 times)

Diablos

Motorstorm.
« on: November 27, 2006, 01:41:36 PM »
I played this for a few minutes in the store last night. It looked absolutely stunning, and played pretty well too. I can't wait to get my hands on a PS3 next year.

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: Motorstorm.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »
Definitely a gorgeous title that has come a long way.  It's pretty close to matching the CG trailer sans the animations. 

I don't understand all the cheering for the crashes though.  There are only a few different animations for the crashes and it really stands out as looking pretty horrible when compared to the rest of the game.

Diablos

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 02:39:30 PM »
Well, it is first-gen stuff...

But just think about that dude. It's a first-gen title, and will be an early one at that (3/2007 IIRC), so it's not even scarping the surface.  :o
It looks like prerendered CG most of the time.

PS3 seems to have a decent launch, much better than PS2's.

But they should really have adopted the BLUE Blu-Ray case for games. The clear bar on the top looks stupid. Maybe I'm just being picky.

Tigerriot

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 02:45:19 PM »
Haven't we all learned that gameplay is always king?  Yes, the graphics look amazing for this game, but it seems that the gameplay is the problem.  Every report i've read seems to indicate the gameplay is just meh.

Diablos

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 03:22:52 PM »
Wait until it actually comes out, fool.

Tigerriot

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 03:33:17 PM »
Wait until it actually comes out, fool.
I guess there is a chance that they'll tweak things before it's launch, but I believe it is coming out in Japan real soon, and I doubt they're gonna make any major changes at this point. 

All i'm saying is that time and time again people talk about the gameplay in very bland ways.  So, I don't know what more can be said.

Diablos

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 03:42:34 PM »
Yeah because now you Ntards can WAGGLE

WAGGLE WAGGLE WAGGLE

WAGGLE TILL YOU CRACK YOUR TV'S OPEN!

WAGGLE!

Tigerriot

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 03:56:31 PM »
Yeah because now you Ntards can WAGGLE

WAGGLE WAGGLE WAGGLE

WAGGLE TILL YOU CRACK YOUR TV'S OPEN!

WAGGLE!
Oh God.  I'm an Ntard now?  ::)

Try harder the next time you try and insult someone.  I'm not a PS3 hater, and frankly i'd love to believe that Motorstorm is gonna be the cat's pajamas.  I almost wet myself when they showed that E3 video a couple years ago.  I would die for a game like that.  Unfortunately when reality set in, things aren't sounding so rosey. 

I am not a hater of any console, period.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 04:21:48 PM »
I agree about it barely scraping the surface.  That's what makes me really excited about the PS3.  Everyone says "zomg, only a few developers can take advantage of it" etc.  But can you imagine in 5 years when some of the top developers do take advantage of it?  The shit that will be able to be done?

Still, after seeing Gears of War, I can't wait for another 4 years to see what the 360 will produce.

I'm not even talking just about graphics, with more power comes incredible new gameplay.  Project Ego could finally be possible the way they envisioned.  Imagine SOTC with gorgeous next gen graphics.  That would be incredible.  Imagine how much A.I. and animations will improve.  Assassins Creed and Heavenly Sword are already amazing feats in terms of animation, wait 4 years and I'm sure we'll see something that will blow us the fuck away. 

I can't wait.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 04:26:45 PM »
Too bad this wasnt a launch game, PS3 sorely needs it.
o_0

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 04:52:14 PM »
I can't believe I'm saying this again...

but I had actually had more fun playing fucking Excite Truck than Motorstorm. And I didn't even like Excite Truck that much.
AMC

MrAngryFace

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 05:14:17 PM »
Motorstorm may be technically excellent, but its a racing game youve played before
o_0

Himu

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 05:45:16 PM »
It's a piece of shit.
IYKYK

Diablos

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 05:48:28 PM »
Too bad this wasnt a launch game, PS3 sorely needs it.

I hear Resistance is pretty awesome.

It's a piece of shit.

Go play your 100th game of Shenmue :P

Himu

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 05:55:09 PM »
I'd like to, but my copy of Shenmue II DC doesn't work :(
IYKYK

Diablos

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 06:11:32 PM »
 :tbslol

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 06:45:08 PM »
Resistance is awesome.

And we have played this game a million times and it has been done a million times better.  It has just never been this pretty.

Diablos

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 07:07:11 PM »
Is it better than Halo?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 07:08:24 PM »
Is it better than Halo?
Dunno, haven't played multiplayer.  lolz

Tigerriot

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 07:11:53 PM »
Is it better than Halo?
According to most reviews, hell no.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 07:18:53 PM »
I've seen resistance, and while its nice looking and very polished, it doesnt feel next gen. I mean its nice for a launch title, but the gameplay is so by the numbers it hurts. Id RATHER play gears of war, which im not that interested in either.
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 08:04:03 PM »
People were talking about Resistance looking better than Gears of War which is a load of horseshit.  It's not close IMO.  It's fairly fun.

And I'll be serious here, Resistance has a better SP campaign than Halo 2.  But multiplayer has no substance and balancing is ass.  The weapons aren't as memorable as the Halo weapons.  Everyone was saying "omg you know it will have creative weapons."  Nah, lame.  Hardly any of them are really practical for use. 

It's an okay game, but it's just a launch title and likely won't be remembered for anything more.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 08:07:01 PM »
Kikizo has been gushing over this game FYI that should tell you how UTTERLY AWESOME THIS GAME IS and GET OUT OF THIS THREAD HIMURO GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
:9

MrAngryFace

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 08:26:02 PM »
Resistance is a SOLID looking game. Frankly tho it has far fewer bells n whistles on a visual level than Half-Life2 & Episode 1.

The explosions are really weak and everything looks fairly boxy, from what I saw. However the lack of ambition with the visuals allows for a pretty respectable draw distance which does a great job representing things like dense urban environs.

Gears of War does look a great deal better, but also benefits from the 360 being in a teams hands for a much longer period of time iirc. Additionally it was developed by a group that did PC games when the 360's inner workings including the OS is extremely PC.

The ps3 was designed by the japanese for the japanese, insomniac is cool and capable, but I think the japanese developers will have a better time pushing the hardware the first year than an american developer could.
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 08:34:06 PM »
I dunno, buddy.  If you're talking about raw textures, I'd say Resistance comes close and even surpasses GoW sometimes.  But if you're talking about effects, GoW stomps the fuck out of Resistance.  That's why I think Resistance looks better in shots and GoW looks better in motion.

I'll stand by what I said, after playing both of them extensively, when it's in your hands and you're playing, Resistance doesn't come close to GoW.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 08:36:45 PM »
I dunno textures in Resistance weren't that memorable. It felt like I was looking at a PC game from a few years back. I expect more from the PS3.

I dont doubt resistance is a good game, but meh...generic looking.
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 08:39:16 PM »
Most definitely generic looking.  I don't see how people can say the art in GoW is uninspired and then cheer for Resistance.  It's worst of every genre.

Generic WW II look? Check (AND STFU, I KNOW THAT THERE WAS NO WWII!)
Aliens? Check
Horrible writing? Double Check!

MrAngryFace

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2006, 08:55:28 PM »
Hi im MAF
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 09:02:01 PM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 09:00:44 PM »
I didn't read that!  :o

:lol

MrAngryFace

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 09:02:23 PM »
Read what? So what games systems do you own and/or like?
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2006, 09:06:58 PM »
I own a GC (don't like it loz), a PS1, PS2, 360 (love it!), genesis, gamegear, DS (meh), PSP (meh), n64 and nes.  Those are the ones I've pulled out of storage and I know are working.

FF8 :heart

:o

MrAngryFace

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2006, 09:11:20 PM »
Yeah FF8 is good, I think everyone should own a copy of that game, if it were possible I would get the people who dont have it a copy of it to play again.

:o

o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2006, 09:13:32 PM »
Yeah... if only that were possible....

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:D
[close]

Himu

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2006, 12:03:06 AM »
Kikizo has been gushing over this game FYI that should tell you how UTTERLY AWESOME THIS GAME IS and GET OUT OF THIS THREAD HIMURO GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

so sorry i'm not a sonybot babe.

Although ps2 is the best system ever, I'll give them that.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 12:05:28 AM »

so sorry i'm not a sonybot babe.

You don't need to be a Sonybot to believe in the Motorstorm :-*
:9

Himu

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2006, 12:09:01 AM »
Sorry but the only racers I like are arcade racers like Burnout and Ridge Racer. Oh and shit like Mario Kart. Forza is the exception.
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2006, 12:22:32 AM »
You forgot F-Zero.  >:(
AMC

Himu

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2006, 12:23:33 AM »
well F-zero is an arcade racer so..
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2006, 12:25:32 AM »
well F-zero is an arcade racer so..
YOU SHOULD HAVE SAID IT
AMC

futami

• my jeans cost as much as a PS3
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2006, 05:30:22 PM »
agreed, diablos -- the game looks amazing, an early testament to the beast housed beneath the ps3's hood.

i haven't been more excited about a system since the n64, though i'm hopeful this system fares a bit better than nintendo's opening salvo in what's been a steady barrage of mediocrity.

from a graphics standpoint, the ps3 is the system.

i just hope developers know how to harness its strength.

Tigerriot

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2006, 06:45:13 PM »
I stopped in a Gamestop on my way home from work tonight, and got my first hands on time with this game.

I've got to say I came away pleasantly suprised after a single race.  I was initially stoked about this game after seeing the original E3 demo from a couple years ago.  Since that time most of the news about the game has centered around the fact that it probably won't match up to that E3 video that was shown.

Well, i've got to say that it clearly doesn't match up to that original video, however, it does come kinda close.  The graphics are very nice, not mindblowing, but nice.  The physics and feel of the game felt great.  I was impressed with the physics, and crash dynamics.  It was sorta ironic playing this game, as it seems to have a lot of similarities to the Wii launch title Excite Truck.  Both games borrow the Excitebike turbo system, where you can boost for only so long before you can overheat, or in the case of Motorstorm, blow up your vehicle.  :lol

I really have high hopes for the remainder of the game, and I hope the later tracks get more complex, and wide open.  My biggest complaint was that the track design felt sorta constricted.  In the E3 video it showed much more open tracks, and the playable today was a much tighter track, and it felt like the game might work better with a slightly wider course design.  The game also felt a little slow.  Then again, if the tracks are all this constricted, that might be for the better.

There is little doubt that whenever I do buy a PS3, a copy of MotorStorm will accompany my purchase.  I really hope the final product is fantastic.  I'm a racing game freak at heart, and i'd love to have a really good one to go along with my PS3 purchase sometime next year.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 06:51:15 PM by Tigerriot »

futami

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2006, 07:19:49 PM »
if the graphics in this game don't qualify as "mindblowing," what does?

as a racer, the only genre within which any comparisons should be made, it is unchallenged on the graphics front (i won't include f1, which isn't nearly as complete).

besides pgr3, nothing approaches motorstorm, and even that game pales in comparison.

i'm not even discussing gameplay.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2006, 07:30:48 PM »
Just so everybody knows futami is full of shit.

futami

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2006, 07:36:40 PM »
how so?

because i don't suck microsoft suck?

i don't offer disingenuous impressions that amount to little more than subtly packaged flamebait?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2006, 07:48:02 PM »
Actually because you haven't played the game.  And the game is crappy-looking technically so that shows what you know about anything.

Tigerriot

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2006, 07:56:28 PM »
I wasn't knocking Motorstorm's graphics, but I was saying that flaws were clearly visible, and for a game that had an E3 video that was "real time" 2 years ago, it should have looked better.

I've been saying it for 2 years now.  Sony raised their own fucking bar with those E3 videos, and now they get to lay in the bed they made for themselves.  People's expectations are raised, and it's because Sony told them to.

I would also say Motorstorm's graphics aren't "mindblowing" because I believe that next year we'll see other racers that look just as good, or very close to it.  We still haven't seen the next gen Colin Mcrae, or Burnout 5.  When we do, then i'll be able to say which game is mindblowing.  For me to use that phrase to describe a game, I think the graphics need to suprise me with their technical perfection.  Motorstorm did not show enough of that in my one and only race today.  Of course it also didn't help that I was forced to stand 2 feet from that kiosk tv because the controller was tethered 2 feet from the machine.  Standing that close to any HDTV makes things look a little less pretty. 

futami

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2006, 08:06:57 PM »
for now, in this genre, the game's visuals are unmatched.

and my original argument stands:

representative of the gap that separates the two systems, motorstorm is the latest title to demonstrate that the 360 is the ps3's technical/graphical inferior.

the only game on the 360 that's even remotely impressive is gears of war.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2006, 08:09:33 PM »
No, technically this game is crap.  It has a bad blur, framerate, and physics, therefore it's a shit game.  You don't have a life so you won't stop coming up with bullshit.

Tigerriot

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2006, 08:13:38 PM »
for now, in this genre, the game's visuals are unmatched.

and my original argument stands:

representative of the gap that separates the two systems, motorstorm is the latest title to demonstrate that the 360 is the ps3's technical/graphical inferior.

the only game on the 360 that's even remotely impressive is gears of war.

I don't know where you are coming up with this knowledge about the PS3 vs. 360 hardware.  It sounds awfully baseless to me. 

From what i've seen from the 360 so far, I am 99.9% sure the 360 could replicate a game like Motorstorm without much trouble.  PGR3 looked very good A YEAR AGO.  You don't think they could make a game that looked much better than that now?  Of course they could. 

Motorstorm looks very nice, but it is by no means an impossible technical feat.

futami

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2006, 09:24:10 PM »
when someone delivers a similarly impressive racer on the 360, we can talk.

shedt

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2006, 04:34:19 PM »
how is the framerate? it use alot of motion blur like pgr3 eh? i like motion blur, even though so many seem to hate it.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2006, 04:37:29 PM »
I want the new Sega Rally omg omg
o_0

futami

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2006, 05:33:09 PM »
like colin mcrae, ps3 is the base platform for sega rally, mrangryface.