Author Topic: Who's playing Excite Truck?  (Read 839 times)

Tigerriot

Who's playing Excite Truck?
« on: November 28, 2006, 11:00:27 AM »
I've got to say, I was interested in this game from the beginning, but as the launch approached some of the iffy reviews had me worried.  Then I got a short hands on in the store before launch, and I got even more worried.  I played a single race a week before launch and it just didn't seem that fun.

Fast forward a week now after launch, and I love this game!  I have seriously been addicted to it, and just last night I was able to finish the final race in the Platinum cup.  I figured this would open up the next difficulty level which I believe is called "Super Excite", but unfortunately it did not.  It told me I would have to finish every race with an "S" rating in order to unlock the next difficulty setting.

Yeah, so there is a 15 minute learning curve to using the Wiimote to steer with this game, but once I really got a feel for it, the game just feels right when you're playing it.  The controls are definitely tight, and it feels every bit as responsive as it should.  I love the turbo system that is barrowed from the earlier Excitebike games.  I also love the morphing enviornments, and the crazy jumps.

Obviously it's an over the top, balls to the wall arcade racer, but I really feel it's worthy of an 8.5 out of 10.  Very solid launch racer, and if you're into the Burnout franchise, I feel like it's a nice off road version of that.  Not exactly, but in the similar over the top way it plays.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 11:04:50 AM by Tigerriot »

Wobedraggled

• Almost Died Once
Re: Who's playing Excite Truck?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:14:48 AM »
I'm playing it (thanks Drinky) and it's a totally fun game.

Like many have said Burnout taken off road.

I tried it with custom soundtracks last night and it worked well...

Wii

Tigerriot

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:20:25 AM »
It's really suprising to me, to see the hate it got from some of the reviews.  Gamespot gave it a 6.8 and Gerstmann called it a "tech demo".  ::)  God I hate it when gaming "journalists" use that bullshit phrase to describe a game.

I've easily spent 8 hours with the game so far, and i'm not tired of playing it at all.  How the fuck does that become a tech demo?  It has lots of gameplay elements that have to be learned to truly succeed.  It has depth to be learned.

I would give anything to just have 5 minutes to question some fuck like Gerstmann as to where he gets his definition of a "tech demo".

Wobedraggled

• Almost Died Once
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 11:21:23 AM »
Gerstmann=hatred of Wii because he cant move for more than a minute.

Wii

etiolate

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 03:53:31 AM »
I remember the first time I played Burnout and I didn't care too much, then I came back to it and was surprisingly hooked. ET sounds similiar.