Author Topic: Your favorite time for gaming?  (Read 1223 times)

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
Your favorite time for gaming?
« on: December 02, 2008, 02:50:29 AM »
Pick an era, span of time, whatever. 

my favorite time to game was the couple year period after I took a 5 year long hiatus from gaming (~98-~2003.)  I had my own money to buy all the stuff I wanted, absolutely no idea about what happened in the 5 years I missed, and a whole lot of free time. I found CAG (which was pretty small at that point and retail stores were unaware they were being watched, which made for so many awesome deals) and went from there--retail stores, yard sales, everything.  I eventually had a collection of about 200 unplayed games across about 5 systems, until I realized how pointless it is to own more than a few games at a time. 

In any case, it was amazing to see how far gaming had progressed, learning about different genres and hidden gems, full 3D games with dual analog stick control were novel, imports were accessible.  now I'm thoroughly spoiled and know too fucking much for my own good.  :lol

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
Re: Your favorite time for gaming?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 02:54:06 AM »
I liked the Playstation, because it was the last genuine "hang out and play split-screen" generation for me. Can't name too many games, but the ones we played, we played a lot, for that reason. I think Halo might be the only game to recapture some of that in recent years, unless you count really stoned laps in F-Zero GX. PC offered a longer period in the late 90s and early 00s of the ultimate in solitary gaming, and in online gaming.

Oddly, I was more excited about the Gamecube than about any other console.

Rain

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 03:09:48 AM »
Mine would be this generation. Unlike the past generations, where I couldn't buy every console and game I like, it's all changed now. I upgraded my PC when I first saw World in Conflict videos, bought a 360 when I got bored of replaying Metroid Prime, bought a PS3 when I felt the need to play MGS4, etcetra. I always hear people complain about their jobs because there isn't much of a free time to play or do activities, but damn it's the best thing ever happened to me.

Oh and the NES era. Gotta love the days of Mega Man 2, where I spent countless hours trying to beat Quick Man's stage.
:o

duckman2000

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 03:11:52 AM »
Honestly, I find that I enjoy games more when gaming time is scarce. During the Xbox time, I could afford any game, and had nearly unlimited time to play. Now, I get a few hours in here and there, but it's not much, not enough to warrant spending any big bucks on it. Which makes the whole early adopter shit seem even more ridiculous.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 03:18:43 AM »
The time when I came home from Gamestop with MGS3.
nat

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 03:28:31 AM »
When I bought my first PS2 in 2007 (or 2006, can't remember). In the span of a few weeks I played ICO, SOTC, RE4, God of War and MGS2.
i

Rman

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 03:49:13 AM »
PSOne days were very fun.  Early NES days were too, mostly based on the resourcefulness it took to play tons without any disposable income.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 04:12:21 AM »
Going to leave PC out of this as it has pretty much always delivered awesome games.

The SNES was the golden age. I used to rent or borrow games knowing very little about them before playing in most cases. I had a gift subscription to Gamepro and read the odd EGM as well. Highlights include renting Shadowrun for the first time, borrowing LOZ:ALTTP, renting Earthbound, buying Illusion of Gaia for $20, borrowing FFIII, and finally receiving a copy of Shadowrun as a gift from my father.

The PlayStation was the silver age. I had an N64 and also didn't play as much as I had in years prior (there might be a correlation there). When I got a used PSX with a copy of FFVII and Parasite Eve from a local used record/game store in 1999 I was in RPG heaven again. After finishing FFVII and PE I quickly moved onto FFVIII (which I never finished), FFIX, PE2 (gets too much hate), Persona 2: EP, Metal Gear Solid, Xenogears, Silent Hill and a handful of allegedly excellent RPG's that I just couldn't be bothered with.

This gen has the potential to be my favourite console generation with titles like Bioshock, Fable II, Heavy Rain, Fallout 3, and the inevitable next-gen Hitman. However I'm afraid there is far too much emphasis on online multiplayer, DLC, zombies, pirates, ninjas, and soccer moms. Also: fighting games and beat'em ups are a dead genre. Stop charging $60 for this repetitive crap. I have a feeling FPS will become just as tired a genre in the coming months (if it isn't already).
}Ö{

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
I'd say overall the whole 90's was my favorite decade, from the height of the NES up until the release of the Dreamcast. 2D games were at their peak, fighting games were at their peak, RPGs were at their peak, etc.
^_^

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 09:57:35 AM »
The Dreamcast Days (1999-2002)

I was 13 at the time and saw a video of Sonic Adventure.  By the end of that day, I saw trailers for all kinds of early Dreamcast releases.  I needed one.  I worked my ass off doing odd jobs and such to make sure I had enough money for a DC, Sonic Adventure, and Blue Stinger.  When I got the large bag in my hand, I was in heaven.  My sister and I played the fuck out of the Dreamcast and when Marvel vs. Capcom came out in October, gaming got even better.

One of the main reasons why I wanted to work so early (I was 14/15 at the time) was to get more Dreamcast shit.  I scrounged up enough money for Crazy Taxi where I'd play for hours on end almost daily.  Then for the holidays, I had to choose between Grandia II, Jet Grind Radio, and Skies of Arcadia.  Fun times!

When the system was canceled, that was when things got really fun.  All these retails had fire sales on their DC software.  I got Power Stone 2 for $5 and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for $8.  I wound up buying about 40 or so Dreamcast games that were under $10 because retailers wanted the shelf spacing for the Xbox and Game Cube.  I was able to get the best of gaming at that time for little money.

Unfortunately the Dreamcast began crapping out around early 2002.  I was incredibly dumb and instead of selling these games on eBay where I'd make a large profit, I sold them to some indie gaming retail store that fucked me over.  I recall them giving me $3 for Power Stone 2 and the next week, I saw that copy go for $40.  I got owned.

By that time though, the PS2 dropped in price down to $199 and got that.  I never had as much fun with it as I did the Dreamcast.  It did introduce me to the Dynasty Warriors games, probably one of my favorite series today.

===============================================

I have to admit that since getting my 360, despite the huge load for classes, I'm surprised at all the quality software going for cheap.  I got Ridge Racer 6 for $5 and Blue Dragon for $10.  It gives me a very Dreamcast-like vibe where I can play a lot of quality games without draining my checking account.
🍆🍆

cool breeze

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 10:01:53 AM »
Probably from when I got my N64 if only because it was really the start of when I became obsessed with games.  I still played the SNES and systems before it a lot, but those systems were my brother's, a lot of the games I played on them were my brother's (only a handful were mine that I bought...like Captain Skyhawk and Dragon Power).  The N64 was my first console that I bought myself and got everything I wanted for it; Chameleon Twist, Quest 64...if they had it, I would rent it.  Actually the Gameboy was the first system I really owned, but having your own console is different.  After the N64 I got the PS1 (I rented it at launch since I couldn't afford it yet), then the Dreamcast, PS2, and so on.  Dreamcast was the first system I actually bought at launch.

CurseoftheGods

• just hanging around, being shitty
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 11:46:21 AM »
Dreamcast, definitely. I was 13, and I have never owned a console that felt so technically advanced at the time. It was like having an arcade at your home. Marvel Vs. Capcom with tag team and no loading and arcade-perfect Model 3 ports like VF3TB. Then you got Sega at its creative peak with titles like Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online (which is still the only console online RPG done right), Chu Chu Rocket, and to a lesser extent Sonic Adventure.

Then you had the crazy third party support with titles like Powerstone, Soul Calibur, and Dead or Alive 2 to name a few. Connecting to the internet through the console was a ton of fun, and the Dreamcast basically introduced me to a feature that I never knew I wanted. The console really felt "fresh" and like nothing I have played before. Not to mention that it was the first gaming console to introduce the sleek, minimalist aesthetic that Apple is now known for (and that Nintendo subsequently aped). 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 11:52:07 AM »
Between 2am and 5am
fat

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 01:00:05 PM »
era: 8-bit and the 386/486 pc days

time of day: 10pm to 12am

it's pretty sad that now that i can afford any game and system i want, i barely have time to play them.  i remember savoring every minute of a game one at time when the parents were supporting my habit.  spend more and play less is the working man's mantra.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:02:35 PM by hyp »
pyh

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »
sega genesis era

many all-nighter street fighter tournaments, many controllers thrown, many threats of real physical violence

good times

runner-up:

ps1 era

many all-nighter wwf raw custom character tournaments, many controllers thrown, many threats of real physical violence

good times
sup

duckman2000

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 01:03:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure split-screen CTR is as good as gaming gets

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »
Yeah, Dreamcast Era was my favorite. I think thats the only console I ever did a midnight launch for. Additionally the 99-02 era was pretty choice for PC gaming as well iirc.
o_0

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 01:08:21 PM »
also, my friend had an n64 and a disc doctor with a buttload of roms

although it is a really crappy game, for some reason we all got hooked on army men 2: sarge's heroes

there was nothing quite like sniping someone from a toilet lid
sup

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 01:09:21 PM »
The mid-90s, cuz I was 13.
QED

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »
When Bully came out, I was in high school, and it was in October and it had JUST snowed out. The atmospher of the real world totally accompanied the atmosphere of Bully.

N64 and PS1 were awesome times, I miss those. Winter 98.

Fuck the Dreamcast era. Everything felt so same-ish, smh.
USA

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »
none of my friends could wrap their heads around fps controls

they still can't, even though i've tried to tell them it's like riding a bike - once you learn, you never forget, and they're almost always the same control scheme since halo
sup

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 01:43:27 PM »
When Bully came out, I was in high school, and it was in October and it had JUST snowed out. The atmospher of the real world totally accompanied the atmosphere of Bully.

After the crap you post around here im shocked you think people listen to your opinions :teehee
o_0

muckson

• Sha'en M'taal
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 02:17:50 PM »
my favorite time for gaming?  when there is no one around and i can enjoy it.
wat

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »
my favorite time for gaming?  when there is no one around and i can enjoy it.

NES

SNES/Genesis

PS1/PS2

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 03:38:18 PM »

After the crap you post around here im shocked you think people listen to your opinions :teehee

:teehee
USA

Bebpo

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 03:53:03 PM »
I liked the era when there were so few big titles coming out each year, that you could actually play them all and still have a life.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 04:06:04 PM »
99-01

Everyone in the suburbs had Pokemon Blue or Red and all summer I'd challenge people, and I attended some local tournaments (smh #1). Plus around that time I started playing WarCraft, and later StarCraft. All my friends had the games, and I remember trying to play online with an AOL 56k connection (smh #2).

Plus I'd always play Ocarina of Time at a friends house in 99
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:57:47 PM by Thanks But No Thanks »

Himu

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 04:09:03 PM »
1997 - 2005

IYKYK

dammitmattt

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 04:36:55 PM »
I have four main time periods that have the best memories:

1. SNES/Genesis middle years - I fell in love with RPGs, Street Fighter 2, and EA Sports Genesis games...all for completely different reasons

2. PSX/N64 middle years - weekly Goldeneye multiplayer sessions + Tony Hawk defined this era for me...plus it's when I briefly flirted with the idea of writing about games for a living and was actually paid to do so for a couple years

3. Xbox era - Halo was the franchise that kept giving for years and years...it was the perfect time to be in college

4. The last two years - the Wii had brief moments of pure joy, but the Xbox 360 and it's online service + achievements helped rejuvenate my love of gaming and has kept me in touch with my far-flung friends

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »
Plus I'd always play Ocarina of Time at a friends hose in 99

freudian slip
sup

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 07:22:13 PM »
 :lol
pyh

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 10:25:21 PM »
PC always delievers. I do admit that it had a high point in the late 1990s and 2000 or so when a combination of plenty of investor cash, rapidly accelerating hardware and online capability, and designers with years of experience making hardcore PC games-with no need to cater to the Great Console Faggotry-went hog wild with their designs.

It all came crashing down with the dotcom bust and the realization that the PC market simply wasn't nearly big enough to support the kind of budgets these games were demanding.
hex

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 10:25:40 PM »
:bow Gaming in the Clinton years :bow2
:bow :bow :bow :bow PC gaming in the Clinton years :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow2

Guybrush Threepwood

• Upskirt Connoisseur
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 10:55:44 PM »
:bow Gaming in the Clinton years :bow2

Yeah, I like that series too.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I agree.
[close]
ಠ_ಠ

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 10:59:15 PM »
Any gen after all the turdfaces have left. DEALS!!
haw

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2008, 11:28:46 PM »
Any gen after all the turdfaces have left. DEALS!!

pretty much.  I was rolling in excellent $20 games for the last year or two of the PS2's life.  For a while I kinda felt like the EB richies must when they go to a game store.  Good times, good times.
pcp