Author Topic: Games of the Year  (Read 4070 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Games of the Year
« on: November 29, 2006, 02:33:56 PM »
I know there's still a few games coming out before the end of the year, but aside from portrait of ruin I doubt they cant compare to what HAS been released. My picks:

Playstation 2 --

The PS2 had a great year, especially considering all the focused placed by gamers caught up in the hype of a future yet unrealised.

My PS2 GOTY is my favorite RPG since Skies of Arcadia. It's been a very long time since ive been so focused on not only the gameplay of an RPG but the story and characters as well. Some will argue the original is better, but I was honestly happy the exposition was removed for the sake of telling a very important story. The original is referred to as Lenneth, but I think Silmeria did a better job covering Silmeria than Lenneth did cover Lenneth.

The runner up is Clover Studio's Okami a title that out zeldas zelda in every way. The most vocal complaints from gamers was that characters talked too much in cutscenes. Funny, they would eat that shit up in a Nintendo game, even if it was written poorly. lol double standards. Fact of the matter is Capcom was responsible for the best PLAYING Zeldas, and the influence can be seen in Okami, one of the best action/adventure games in a very long time.

Clover was later rewarded for its hard work by being dissovled as a group and absorbed into Capcom.

XBox 360 ---

360 had sorta a meh year. I've played Arcade almost more than actual game releases. For shame for shame. That being said its excellent at media streaming and I DO like Arcade A LOT.

Lol arent I edgy and clever, I picked an XBLA game as my GOTY. Honestly almost all of the big name 360 games have failed to hold my attention for more than a week, and that includes by favorites. Mutant Storm is highly underrated. Still i've played it a helluva lot more than the runner up title which I adore for everything it is, but even so, I play maybe 3 hours of it a week right now:

This one came outta left field. I saw screens months ago and thought "Wow, another Open Season". Soon the buzz started getting around that this game involved BEATING things to death and forced mating. Awesome. The LIVE features are intelligent and the amount of crap in the game is pretty nuts. Make no mistake tho, the game doesn't have a universal appeal. If youre sick of sim games you wont wanna play this.

I have a REALLY good feeling that the 360 GOTYs for most people will be different across the board.

Sony PSP ---

Tough category for me, I feel sorta the same about most of the PSP release this year.

Maverick Hunter X and Mega Man Powered up both did great jobs moving Capcom's famous mascot to the PSP, but neither game made as graceful a leap as Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins. Each level is rich with style and creativity. The game is packed with weapons and challenges, and I MEAN challenges. This isn't for weak gamers that wanna waggle their wii through easy games. This is a balls to the wall oldschool platformer that will spit on your grave lol.

As for my runner up, I really wish Every Extend Extra would get the credit it deserves. What I cant fathom is how people cant figure out this game. I actually had a game clerk ask me point blank how the games mechanics work cause he didnt 'get it'. What's so hard to understand? You chain explosions, collect crystals, kill bosses. The games incredibly pretty and sounds good to boot. This was made by 'that rez guy' so chance are it will get good word of mouth after copies are no longer being sold and everyone will worship it despite never having played it.

DS Lite/Lunchbox --

What a crazy fucking year for this platform. I mean the amount of AAA games is just staggering. Im honestly playing through a QUEUE of AAA games. If I picked an overall GOTY for all systems it would be from the DS Library of 2006 I think.

First off, yes, the first few levels of YI2 are similar to the original, but hey hey, is that bad? Not only is it only the FIRST FEW LEVELS that are similiar, but they are JUST AS GOOD. I think people haven forgotten how good the original YI is, and while the original YI was REALLY FUCKING good, its not like it innovated a whole shitload EITHER. So why suddenly expect the sequel to be any different. OH I GET IT. YOU WANT STUPID ASS TOUCH SCREEN SHIT. motherFUCKERS.

Anyway YI2 is a platforming game that is leaps and bounds above New Super Mario Brothers. NSMB was great, a technically excellent title. However it lacked challenge and the creative situations that got the original YI its accolades. There are a few new additions to YI2, but thank god the dumbass touch screen shit isn't the focus of the game. Some guy on this forum actually LIKED pokemon CIRCLE SHIT ranger. Wtf. If you MUST use a stylus get Elite Beat Agents or March of the Minis.

As for the runner up, this was a tough choice. Squeenix's other offering, FFIII is really fucking good, but it also stands up against FFV which provides an interesting contrast. Children of Mana however stands alone on the DS as the best Hack n Slash for DS owners. It DOES lack the amount of story found in the more traditional secret of mana, but god damn this isnt that kind of game, why hold that against it. Aside from the character classes, the 8 different spirits, the gem system, the loot, the missions and sidequests, the main story is still bigger than what was found in Diablo II.

People need to accept this game for what it is and have some goddamned fun. Jesus.

Gameboy Advance ---

This system is almost done. The DS is out in full force and showing 'its quality'. There was still a few gems in particular:

I decided Yggdra Union was my GBA GOTY over FFV because in typical Atlus fashion it dares to be a little different and provide me something interesting AND fun. FFV is a really great port, but it isnt like I havent played this emulated, with the much cooler pirate talk to boot ;)

Personal Computer ---

This was definately the YEAR OF THE RTS for PC gaming. Not at all disappointing either. Not a tough choice till I had to decide on a runner up:

Company of Heroes is A MANS game, and thats really all I gotta say. Its beautiful, lots of guns explosions, an insane amount of tactical gameplay and OMG OMG OMG it makes WWII seem fresh again.

My runner up is Half Life 2: Episode One. While its clear Valve's whole idea about releasing game content more often with smaller PARTS of a game is complete bullshit, the results we have seen with just Episode One is fucking nuts. Not to mention that Episode Two comes with the much anticipated PORTAL and Team Fortress 2 titles hot on its heels. OMG OMG OMG
o_0

shedt

Re: Games of the Year
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 02:41:43 PM »
HL2 EP 1 was pretty rad. :btw

Mutant Storm was a 2005 game if i remember correctly. good game, but i like Geometry Wars more.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 02:42:30 PM »
X360 website has it as a March 2006 game.
o_0

Diablos

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:43:21 PM »
Valkyrie Profile 2 IS awesome. Best RPG and game of the year. FFXII can only dream of being as good.

But I do think DQVIII is the best RPG on the PS2. VP2 comes in at a close second, then FFX.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 02:47:04 PM »
DS woo!
PSP

Himu

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 02:49:34 PM »
Zelda: TP trumps all games that came out this year that I've played.
IYKYK

cubicle47b

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 03:23:55 PM »
It's a little early for me to reply to this thread since I have some big games sitting around waiting for me to play as I start to finish up Final Fantasy V.  That list containing Okami, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Yoshi's Island DS, Final Fantasy 3, and a few others.  And Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin is coming out soon.

All I have to say right now is Alundra is a better Zelda game than any of the Capcom/Nintendo 2D Zeldas.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 03:24:59 PM »
:-0
o_0

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 03:37:07 PM »
Is Yoshi's Island really that good?  I might buy it if so.

Wobedraggled

• Almost Died Once
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 03:41:53 PM »
ZELDA
Wii

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 03:42:33 PM »
Nice write up, MAF. Too bad I don't play new games, I'm too cheap. I'll catch most of these next year.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 03:43:37 PM »
As long as you catch them eventually. ;)

And yes, YI2 is great. I think a lot of people wanted more Stylus crap but honestly YI isnt about that.
o_0

Diablos

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 04:12:47 PM »
Nice write up, MAF. Too bad I don't play new games, I'm too cheap. I'll catch most of these next year.

Play VP2 first. Trust me.

Oh and don't touch FFXII, not even with a ten foot pole.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 04:17:29 PM »
My GotY is definitely Company of Heroes. Easily the best and most original RTS I've played in ages, with endless tactical depth. Of the countless RTS titles I've played, this one actually makes me feel like I guiding little dudes in the trenches, and you often get attached to them and want to see them survive versus the EVIL NAZZIES. Plus the graphics, sounds, and presentation are awesome.

Console? Ironically, I haven't gotten far in VP2 because I haven't been in a grind mood. Okami is currently my console GotY, and while I can't wait for Zelda: TP, Capcom always does Zelda better than Nintendo. (And cubicle is also right: Alundra is a better 2D Zelda than ANY of the actual 2D Zeldas.) Competitors? Well, if I finish VP2 -- it's bloody awesome -- it might make it, and there's Disgaea 2 as well. DMC3SE was great, too. Man, I'd hafta look and see what I bought earlier this year.

Handheld is probably Guilty Gear Judgment JP (with Slash), Yggdra Union, or Yoshi's Island 2. Runners-up include UGnG, Every Extend Extra, Metal Gear Acid 2, and Tekken DR. I thought NSMB was awesome until I played YI2. :(
duc

Oblivion

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 04:34:28 PM »
The runner up is Clover Studio's Okami a title that out zeldas zelda in every way. The most vocal complaints from gamers was that characters talked too much in cutscenes. Funny, they would eat that shit up in a Nintendo game, even if it was written poorly. lol double standards. Fact of the matter is Capcom was responsible for the best PLAYING Zeldas, and the influence can be seen in Okami, one of the best action/adventure games in a very long time.

Perhaps I'm confusing you with someone else, but didn't you not like the 3D Zeldas? I guess I just don't understand how one could think so differently of Okami considering Okami was trying to emulate Zelda to begin with.

As for the topic, I'd say at the moment for me without a doubt it's TP so far. Will play Okami and FFXII after I be done.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 04:35:18 PM »
I liked windwaker, not all the time, granted. It had its issues.
o_0

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 04:36:02 PM »
Zelda. I haven't played Gears yet though, but c'mon.

cubicle47b

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 04:42:15 PM »
Wind Waker had good dungeons (aside from the first one where you're required to use stealth) and the graphics were really beautiful at times.  It's the ridiculous amount of sailing / triforce hunt that pulls it down.  That and there simply isn't enough meat to the game.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 04:43:46 PM »
If I coulda teleported or something to the dungeons lol, A+++ game then.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 04:46:22 PM »
I loved the 3D Zeldas. I just feel Okami is a more seamless experience with vastly better art direction and puzzle design.
duc

cubicle47b

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 04:48:10 PM »
If I coulda teleported or something to the dungeons lol, A+++ game then.

Agreed.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 04:56:25 PM »
also Link is just too tired and too fey. New characters, please!
duc

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 04:57:58 PM »
HL2:EP1 was indeed awesome from what I got to play, so I agree with you there. I didnt buy any other PC games as my desktop power unit died.

I would say, having not played Viva Pinata that Gears Of War is much more impressive and probably the obvious x360 game of the year choice. Although I do love the Lost Planet multi demo a bit more.

Game of the year for DS atm is Yoshi Island DS, however I'm 100% sure the new Castlevania will spank anything else out.

GBA game of the year is no doubt Mother 3, it being in Japanese I can see why no one has played it, but I have and its awesome. Its rather easy to grasp the story without the language as the characters are much more animated and convey emotion through movement this time. Plus I'm totally biased.

I don't own a PSP, but really... who does?

PS2, it's FF12 for me atm, as I havent played VP2 or Okami, but maybe soon one of them might come in the mail.
萌え~

Oblivion

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 05:12:57 PM »
also Link is just too tired and too fey. New characters, please!

But how can you have a new Zelda without a Link? It'd be like a Mario game without Mario. :(

morphix

• Let's make a deal
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 05:15:09 PM »
my pick for GotY for each system:

BUN

shedt

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2006, 05:35:54 PM »
Morphix do you have a real guitar dude?

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 06:11:54 PM »
MAF, where the fuck is GoW on that list?!

Oh, I forgot, you hate things that are mainstream. :-\
BKO

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 06:20:24 PM »
MAF, where the fuck is GoW on that list?!

Oh, I forgot, you hate things that are mainstream. :-\
Gears of War wasn't that mindblowing when I played it. And that is not easy for me to say.

Anyway... I think I only bought two new games this year so far:

Guitar Hero II
Megaman ZX

Edit:

I forgot NSMB and Clubhouse games.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 09:24:46 PM by CajoleJuice »
AMC

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 06:27:45 PM »
I've played Gears on a buddy's 360, and it DID blow my mind. ;)
BKO

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 06:29:29 PM »
I've played Gears on a buddy's 360, and it DID blow my mind. ;)
I think I've said it before, it seems I just don't like FPS's (or close to them) on consoles anymore.
AMC

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 06:30:34 PM »
Oh, well then...
BKO

morphix

• Let's make a deal
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 06:36:07 PM »
Morphix do you have a real guitar dude?

yes but I am still not that good with it, but I am practicing :D
BUN

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2006, 06:41:09 PM »
Morphix, I don't see D&D Online anywhere.  :D

Fell out of love so quickly?

MrAngryFace

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2006, 11:10:34 PM »
I dunno having played the rainbow six games, the visuals while impressive didnt phase this 360 owner TOO much. Then again I dont buy games simply because of their technical excellence.

GoW from what ive played seems like a lot of fun, but not 60 dollar fun.
o_0

shedt

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2006, 11:13:45 PM »
Rainbow Six does not look that great either IMHO. but i love those type of games. in some spots it looked nice, i have to really sit down and play it.

I also really like Scarface. i have yet to see the movie and the game is quite the kick. been playing it on PC shitty perfomance. i'm going to check for a patch

MrAngryFace

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2006, 11:15:19 PM »
I was mostly talking about GRAW which is from the R6 universe
o_0

shedt

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2006, 11:18:22 PM »
i never finished it :(

i mean to though. I really loved GR1 esp on xbl

Strife Doombringer

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 01:27:35 AM »
vp2 is awesome diddnt really get any psp games past 3 months FFXII is a descent game not as good as VP2 but still up their. Played GoW think they should have spent another six months on it it just diddnt get my balls shivering meh! Havent got to play ZELDA: TP but oh i will not sure if its going to be a Wii or Cube version though probrably Cube because my thoughts on the Wii arent that great its nice but if I get a Seizure I wont be able to jockey around that wand controler very well.What about KH2 that wasnt bad for an RPG except the difficulty needed to be higher Hands down best game ive played this year.Console winner PS2. Game Vp2 just too damn good of a game. "sorry for wasting all your space MAF" DRINKING THIS WEEKEND and playing WoW
nin

MrAngryFace

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2006, 01:30:25 AM »
Yeah definately playin WoW, not sure if ill be able to booze till next paycheck. RENT AM DUE!
o_0

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2006, 01:42:25 AM »
I will withhold all judgments until I get my copies of Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Yoshi's Island and Children of Mana, but Final Fantasy III is make a strong case for best portable game this year.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2006, 01:43:51 AM »
By the way, the fact that I still have those three games to look forward to, in addition to everything else I'm playing or getting for the system, speaks volumes about portables.  I don't miss consoles much right now.
PSP

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2006, 09:30:42 AM »
Wow, people played Scarface? :rofl
BKO