Author Topic: NBA 2k7 is tripe  (Read 839 times)

etiolate

NBA 2k7 is tripe
« on: November 30, 2006, 01:26:37 AM »
I wish EA would get their shit together and not have Live be the buggy mess it is, because VC's 2k series is such overrated tripe.  I am so sick of sliders.  It's a such a cheap way to make endgame statistics represent real game stats, when the issue is THIS IS A GAME! It's not the real thing.  I shouldn't have some dumb slider keep me from missing a well executed play.  Also, my putting the slider back up so I can make wide open layups shouldn't punish me on the other end for challenging close shots and seeing the CPU make plays in the middle of tripple teams. 

Also, and you can hate Nintendo for simplifying gameplay all you want, but 2k7 uses WAY too many buttons and yet doesn't seem to use them in an effective way.  You have NO speed boost button on offense. A burst of speed is one of the most basic offensive manuevers, especially in the current form of the NBA and yet you can't do it in this game.  Instead you have that shitty offensive modifiier button which EA introduced. This is my problem with most NBA games, they focus on one on one and it brings down the entire game.  Courtside series had good offensive flow and passing.  Offense in 2k feels so clunky in comparison and the Courtside series over 5 years old and dead! Why can't I get a decent logical pass system? If I have the ball on the baseline and I got a player open in the middle, I should be able to push towards that area and press pass and get a layup... right?  Nope, try that and you might see the ball passed out to the top of the key or across the entire other side of the court.  Instead you got to use icon passing which takes two button presses, a second to recognize which button your open guy is and is just so slow it negates the fact you had a guy open for a moment.

And how about the fact NBA videogames still can't decide a logical type of shot for your player when you get close to the basket? My players all want to do these funky one handed double pumps when they should just lean in where the defender is not and use the backboard. When I'm close to the basket, my player should do a layup or dunk.  Not a jumpshot or circus shot. I actually had Brad Miller all alone under the basket and instead of dunking, he did some asswards jumpshot... AND MISSED! wtf!

And why is Bonzi Wells(signed with Houston before the season) and Sergia Monia(who is not even in the league this year) on the Kings roster, but Ronnie Price and Jason Hart are not?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: NBA 2k7 is tripe
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 01:28:17 AM »
Is this better or Live 07?

etiolate

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 04:06:46 AM »
This is still better than Live 07.  Live is just really, really bad. You can adjust to 2k7, but Live is too buggy.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 04:33:31 AM »
Ah.  Knew it!  I'm gonna own my friend with this!

Tigerriot

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 09:11:35 AM »
I think you are complaining about a fundemental problem with sports games.  It's actually one of the reasons i'm really beginning to question my purchasing of any sports games.  The fundemental problems is that there is so much AI going on with you only controlling ONE player on the screen most of the time.  This means that you are forced to rely on AI to make your gaming experience fun, and entertaining.  Unfortunately the more I think about it, the more I realize how scripted, and uninteresting all of this becomes.  I'm playing against very pre-programmed things, and over time they become far too obvious.  Sliders simply adjust the computations to decide how these AI scripts play out.  Not very cool to me anymore.

I bought Madden 360, and NBA 2K7 this year, and i'm really not sure beyond that what i'll do.  A BIG part of the problem is really EA though.  Because they're such fucking lazy/money grubbing people, the sports games of the world suffer.  If they put serious budgets into these games, and made them look as mindblowing as they could, it might make it a little easier to suffer through these AI routines that have been around forever.  But the fact is EA has systematically forced a lowest common denominator mode to all sports games.  They generally are developed on low bedgets, and they rarely push a system's hardware to do truly special things.

Yes, I know Madden looks pretty good this year, but in all honesty, it's a far cry from what is really possible on this Next Gen hardware.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 09:20:07 AM by Tigerriot »