Author Topic: What does your name mean?  (Read 4801 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
What does your name mean?
« on: November 30, 2006, 02:26:44 AM »
http://www.behindthename.com/
Put your name in and find out

From the Roman name Mauricius, which derives from MAURUS. Saint Maurice was a Christian Roman soldier from Egypt. He and the other Christians in his legion were supposedly massacred by emperor Maximian for refusing to worship Roman gods. Thus, he is the patron saint of infantry soldiers. Also, Maurice of Nassau, the prince of Orange, was a military commander from the Netherlands who helped establish the Dutch Republic.

Awesome. I've always felt Roman gods were a metaphor for dirty evolutionists.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Re: What does your name mean?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 02:27:33 AM »
Stolen topic, ban him.
萌え~

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 02:29:21 AM »
 :lol

Yeah, I got this from OA :-\

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 02:30:37 AM »
Bryan/Brian

The meaning of this name is not known for certain but it is possibly related to the Old Celtic element bre meaning "hill", or by extension "high, noble". Brian Boru was an Irish king who thwarted Viking attempts to conquer Ireland in the 11th century. He was victorious in the Battle of Clontarf, but he himself was slain.
萌え~

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 02:31:46 AM »
Joel

From the Hebrew name יוֹאֵל (Yo'el) meaning "YAHWEH is God". Joel was a minor prophet in the Old Testament, the author of the Book of Joel.
AMC

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 02:36:50 AM »
Jeremy which is a variant of Jeremiah...

From the Hebrew name יִרְמְיָהוּ (Yirmiyahu) which meant "YAHWEH has uplifted". This was the name of one of the major prophets of the Old Testament, author of the Book of Jeremiah and (supposedly) the Book of Lamentations. He lived to see the Babylonian destruction of Jerusalem in the 6th century BC.
:9

Loki

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 02:43:50 AM »

Christopher

Means "bearing Christ", derived from Late Greek Χριστος (Christos) combined with φερω (phero) "to bear, to carry". Christopher was the legendary saint who carried the young Jesus across a river. He is the patron saint of travellers. Another famous bearer was Christopher Columbus, the explorer who reached the West Indies in the 15th century.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 02:47:13 AM »
Sarmad.  Arabic.  Is one of the dozens of names for "Allah".  Means always alive.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 02:50:53 AM »
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 02:52:29 AM »
http://indarktrees.com/pics/04%20TVC15.mp3
You did it wrong.

Keith

From a Scottish surname which was originally derived from a place name possibly meaning "wood" in British. This was the surname of a long line of Scottish earls.

:sp0rsk2
AMC

xnikki118x

• Hanson Defense Force
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 04:23:05 AM »

NICOLE
Usage: French, English, Dutch
Pronounced: nee-KOL (French), ni-KOL (English)   [key]
French feminine form of NICHOLAS, commonly used in the English-speaking world.

NICHOLAS
Usage: English, French
Pronounced: NI-ko-las (English), nee-ko-LA (French)   [key]
From the Greek name Νικολαος (Nikolaos) which meant "victory of the people" from Greek νικη (nike) "victory" and λαος (laos) "people". Saint Nicholas was a 4th-century bishop from Anatolia who, according to legend, saved the daughters of a poor man from lives of prostitution. He is also known as Santa Claus (from Dutch Sinterklaas), the bringer of Christmas presents. He is the patron saint of children, sailors and merchants, and Greece and Russia. Nicholas was also the name of two czars of Russia and five popes.

I'm Santa Claus.
:-*

drozmight

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 06:33:13 AM »
English form of Ματθαιος (Matthaios), which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name מַתִּתְיָהוּ (Mattityahu) which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles, a tax collector. He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.
rub

whiteACID

• RAWR
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 08:01:30 AM »
AGATHA

Usage: English, Ancient Greek (Latinized)

Pronounced: AG-a-tha   [key]
Latinized form of the Greek name Αγαθη (Agathe), derived from Greek αγαθος (agathos) meaning "good". Saint Agatha was a 3rd-century martyr from Sicily. After spurning the advances of a Roman official she was tortured and had her breasts cut off before being killed. The mystery writer Agatha Christie is a famous modern bearer of this name.
boo

Diablos

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 08:55:03 AM »
You've said your name is Leah, Theresa, and now Agatha.

Joke character total. :D

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 09:20:26 AM »
MILES 

Usage: English

Pronounced: MIELZ, MIE-ulz   [key]

The meaning of this name is not known for certain. It is possibly from Latin miles "soldier" or else from a pet form of MICHAEL. This name was introduced to Britain by the Normans.

-----------------------------------------

So I AM a real boy! :o
BKO

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 11:50:26 AM »
Shake is

???
:9

xnikki118x

• Hanson Defense Force
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 12:29:57 PM »
Shake is

???

That was my first thought, too! :sonic = awesome.

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 12:35:46 PM »
hmm, made me think of this:

sig

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 12:36:11 PM »
WILLIAM

Pronounced: WIL-ee-am, WIL-yam   [key]

From the Germanic name Wilhelm, which was composed of the elements wil "will, desire" and helm "helmet, protection". The name was introduced to Britain by the Normans. It has belonged to several rulers of England, Prussia, and Germany, including William the Conqueror, the first Norman king of England. Other famous bearers were Willian Wallace, a 13th-century Scottish hero, and William Tell, a legendary 14th-century Swiss hero. In the literary world it has been borne by dramatist William Shakespeare and poet William Blake, as well as contemporary authors William Faulkner and William S. Burroughs.

BENJAMIN

Usage: English, French, German, Biblical

Pronounced: BEN-ja-min (English), ben-zha-MEN (French), BEN-yah-meen (German)   [key]

From the Hebrew name בִנְיָמִין (Binyamin) which means "son of the south" or "son of the right hand". Benjamin in the Old Testament was the twelfth and youngest son of Jacob and the founder of one of the southern tribes of the Hebrews. This name was also borne by Benjamin Franklin, an American statesman, inventor, scientist and philosopher.

FEDERMAN was not found in this database :(
PSP

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 12:37:10 PM »
RYAN 

Usage: Irish, English

Pronounced: RIE-an   [key]

From an Irish surname which was derived from Ó Riain meaning "descendent of Rian". The given name Rian probably means "little king" (from Irish rí "king" combined with a diminutive suffix).

-- Later it was revealed by my mother that both my sister and myself were named after characters in her favorite romance novels :P

CHRISTOPHER 

Pronounced: KRIS-to-fur   [key]

Means "bearing Christ", derived from Late Greek Χριστος (Christos) combined with φερω (phero) "to bear, to carry". Christopher was the legendary saint who carried the young Jesus across a river. He is the patron saint of travellers. Another famous bearer was Christopher Columbus, the explorer who reached the West Indies in the 15th century.

-- The middle-name was given to me after my Great-Grandfather.

THOMPSON was not found in this database.

-- lol, but thats my last name :(
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 12:39:41 PM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 12:40:24 PM »
DOUGLAS

Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Dubhghlas, which meant "dark river" or "blood river" from Gaelic dubh "dark" and glais "water, river". Douglas was originally a river name, the site of a particularly bloody battle, which then became a Scottish surname. The surname belonged to a powerful line of Scottish earls.
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 12:41:04 PM »
Both MAF and I don't have our last names in the database.
PSP

Cyanista

• IGNORE ME
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 12:58:02 PM »
ASHLEY

Pronounced: ASH-lee   [key]
From an English surname which was originally derived from a place name meaning "ash tree clearing" in Old English. Until the 1960s it was more commonly given to boys, but it is now most often used on girls.
omg

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 12:59:00 PM »
Ash <3
PSP

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 01:10:58 PM »
Heh, my parents were seriously considering naming me Ashley.  Don't know why they changed their minds though.  I always thought that would have been really lame, until I saw AOD :spin
sig

Raguel

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 01:12:00 PM »
My name was not found on the database. Both first and last. :'(

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 01:13:38 PM »
TIMOTHY

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: TIM-u-thee   [key]
From the Greek name Τιμοθεος (Timotheos) meaning "honouring God", derived from τιμαω (timao) "to honour" and θεος (theos) "god". Saint Timothy was a companion of Paul on his missionary journeys and was the recipient of two of Paul's epistles that appear in the New Testament. According to tradition, he was martyred at Ephesus after protesting the worship of Artemis.
dap

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 01:14:38 PM »
THOMAS

Usage: English, French, German, Dutch, Scandinavian, Greek, Biblical

Other Scripts: Θωμας (Greek)

Pronounced: TAHM-as (English), TOM-as (English), to-MA (French), TO-mahs (German, Dutch), tho-MAHS (Greek) [key]

Greek form of the Aramaic name Te'oma which meant "twin". In the New Testament he was the apostle who doubted the resurrected Jesus. According to tradition he was martyred in India. Famous bearers of this name include philosopher and theologian Saint Thomas Aquinas, philosopher Thomas Hobbes, inventor Thomas Edison, American president Thomas Jefferson, and novelist Thomas Hardy.
fat

Himu

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 01:47:52 PM »
Garrett

From a surname derived from the name GERALD or GERARD. A famous bearer of the surname was Pat Garrett, the sheriff who shot Billy the Kid.

=/
IYKYK

Garnet

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2006, 02:04:57 PM »
Name: Teagan
Boy's or girl's name? Girl's
Origin: Irish
Welsh

Meaning: Attractive and worldly. The name Teagan is derived from the name Taghg, which is a Gaelic expression, meaning "wise poet".

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2006, 02:05:19 PM »
Garrett

From a surname derived from the name GERALD or GERARD. A famous bearer of the surname was Pat Garrett, the sheriff who shot Billy the Kid.

=/
:lol

You snitch, stop runnin to the po po

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »
JONATHAN 

Usage: English, German, Scandinavian, Biblical

Pronounced: JAHN-a-than (English), YO-nah-tahn (German)   [key]

From the Hebrew name יְהוֹנָתָן (Yehonatan) (contracted to יוֹנָתָן (Yonatan)) meaning "YAHWEH has given". In the Old Testament Jonathan was the eldest son of Saul and a friend of David. He was killed in battle with the Philistines. A famous bearer of this name was Jonathan Swift, the satirist who wrote 'Gulliver's Travels' and other works.
UNF

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2006, 02:32:30 PM »
GREGORY 

Pronounced: GREG-or-ee   [key]

From the Latin Gregorius, which was from the late Greek name Γρηγοριος (Gregorios), which was derived from γρηγορος (gregoros) meaning "watchful, alert". This was the name of several saints including three Fathers of the Church: Saint Gregory Thaumaturgus (3rd century), Saint Gregory of Nyssa, and Saint Gregory of Nazianzus (both 4th century). This was also the name of 16 popes, including Gregory I, who was known as Gregory the Great.

Aw yeah bitches
haa

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 02:42:44 PM »
Don't forget the most important Gregory of all...

That's right, motherfuckers - me!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 02:44:48 PM by Willco »
PSP

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 02:44:24 PM »
iz not lupus srsly
haa

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2006, 02:46:35 PM »
ADAM

Usage: English, French, German, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian, Jewish, Biblical

Other Scripts: אָדָם (Hebrew), Адам (Russian, Ukrainian)

Pronounced: A-dam (English), AH-dahm (German, Polish)   [key]
This is the Hebrew word for "man". It could be ultimately derived from Hebrew אדם ('adam) meaning "to be red", referring to the ruddy colour of human skin, or from Assyrian adamu meaning "to make". According to Genesis in the Old Testament Adam was created from the earth by God (there is a word play on Hebrew אֲדָמָה ('adamah) "earth"). He and Eve were supposedly the first humans, living happily in the Garden of Eden until Adam ate a forbidden fruit given to him by Eve.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2006, 04:15:13 PM »
EDWARD 

Usage: English, Polish

Pronounced: ED-wurd (English), ED-vahrt (Polish)   [key]

Means "rich guard", derived from the Old English elements ead "rich, blessed" and weard "guard". Saint Edward the Confessor was the king of England shortly before the Norman Conquest. Because of his popularity this name remained in use after the conquest (most other Old English names were replaced by Norman ones), and was even the name of eight subsequent kings of England. Edward is also one of the few Old English names to be used throughout Europe.

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 04:18:27 PM »

JUSTIN

Usage: English, French, Slovene

Pronounced: JUS-tin (English), zhoo-STEN (French)   [key]
From the Roman name Justinus, which was derived from JUSTUS. This was the name of several early saints including Justin Martyr, a Christian philosopher of 2nd century who was beheaded in Rome.

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2006, 04:57:24 PM »
GREGORY 

Pronounced: GREG-or-ee   [key]

From the Latin Gregorius, which was from the late Greek name Γρηγοριος (Gregorios), which was derived from γρηγορος (gregoros) meaning "watchful, alert". This was the name of several saints including three Fathers of the Church: Saint Gregory Thaumaturgus (3rd century), Saint Gregory of Nyssa, and Saint Gregory of Nazianzus (both 4th century). This was also the name of 16 popes, including Gregory I, who was known as Gregory the Great.

Aw yeah bitches

Yes, I am great :spin
sig

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2006, 04:58:26 PM »
:hyper
haa

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2006, 07:05:55 PM »
THOMPSON was not found in this database.

-- lol, but thats my last name :(

Since we have the same last name, I did a few quick searches.  Not sure if you're "Thompson" or "Thomson", but they're basically the same:

Definition: Patronymic name meaning "son of the man known as Thom, Thomp, Thompkin, or other diminutive form of Thomas (twin)."

Surname Origin: English, Scottish

The name is found most in central Scotland - there was a John Thomson in Ayrshire in 1318 who led part of Edward Bruce's invading army in Ireland on behalf of Robert the Bruce. There are Gaelic equivalents in MacTavish (son of Tammas) and McCombie (son of Tommy) and MacLehose is from the Gaelic 'mac gille Thoimis" or son of St Thomas.

Clan MacThomas was descended from Clan Chattan Mackintoshes and was based initially in Glenshee. The MacThomases supported King Charles I and the Marquis of Montrose but after the defeat of Montrose at the Battle of Philiphaugh, the chief withdrew his men and extended his influence into Glen Prosen and Strathardle. The chief approved of the stable government brought about by Oliver Cromwell and the Commonwealth. Consequently, after the Restoration of King Charles II the MacThomas fortunes declined and the clan drifted apart - some clansmen moving to the Lowlands and changing their name to Thomson or Thomas.

James Thomson (1700-1748) was a poet who wrote "The Seasons" which is regarded as a classic of English literature but is best remembered now for writing "Rule Britannia". Alexander "Greek" Thomson was a 19th century architect of note who is becoming more recognised at the end of the 20th. Robert William Thomson invented the pneumatic tyre in December 1845 and scientist and inventor William Thomson, though born in Belfast, became associated with Glasgow University and became Lord Kelvin. He gave his name to the measurement of temperature "Kelvin".

Clan McThomas, which is the only variant of the name recognised by the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs, has a motto "Deo iuvante invidiam superabo" - I will overcome envy with God's help".

Doesn't really go too deep into any actual meaning of the word, but I wouldn't expect any less from the Scots ::)
haa

etiolate

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2006, 07:19:54 PM »
JOSEPH

Usage: English, French, German, Biblical

Pronounced: JO-sef (English), zho-ZEF (French), YO-zef (German)   [key]
From the Latin Iosephus, which was from the Greek Ιωσηφος (Iosephos), which was from the Hebrew name יוֹסֵף (Yosef) meaning "he will add". In the Old Testament Joseph was the eleventh son of Jacob. Because he was the favourite of his father, his older brothers sent him to Egypt and told their father that he had died. In Egypt, Joseph became an advisor to the pharaoh, and was eventually reconciled with his brothers when they came to Egypt during a famine. This is the name of two characters in the New Testament: Joseph the husband of Mary and Joseph of Arimathea. Also, rulers of the Holy Roman Empire have had this name.

I'm biblical

morphix

• Let's make a deal
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2006, 07:34:51 PM »
Jeremy which is a variant of Jeremiah...

From the Hebrew name יִרְמְיָהוּ (Yirmiyahu) which meant "YAHWEH has uplifted". This was the name of one of the major prophets of the Old Testament, author of the Book of Jeremiah and (supposedly) the Book of Lamentations. He lived to see the Babylonian destruction of Jerusalem in the 6th century BC.

That is my name (Jeremiah).

Praise the lawrd  :D
BUN

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2006, 08:22:49 PM »
Aaron:

From the Hebrew name אַהֲרֹן ('Aharon) which is most likely of unknown Egyptian origin. Other theories claim a Hebrew derivation, and suggest meanings such as "high mountain" or "exalted". In the Old Testament Aaron was the older brother of Moses and the first high priest of the Israelites.

MMA

xnikki118x

• Hanson Defense Force
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2006, 12:28:26 AM »
My middle name:

MAY

Pronounced: MAY   [key]
Derived from the name of the month of May, which derives from Maia, the name of a Roman goddess. May is also another name of the hawthorn flower.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2006, 12:33:36 AM »
Lots of jewish names here. Very interesting

G The Resurrected

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2006, 04:19:53 AM »
GARRETT

Pronounced: GER-et
The meaning has always been told to me by family as being a "Warrior of the Spear"

My middle and last names are great too. But for some reason it doesnt have my last name.

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2006, 07:38:22 AM »
DAVID

Usage: English, Jewish, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Czech, Slovene, German, Biblical

Other Scripts: דָוִד (Hebrew), Давид (Russian)

Pronounced: DAY-vid (English), da-VEED (French), DAH-fit (German)   [key]
Possibly derived from Hebrew דוד (dvd) meaning "beloved". David was the second and greatest of the kings of Israel, ruling in the 10th century BC. Several stories about him are told in the Old Testament, including his defeat of Goliath, a giant Philistine. Jesus was supposedly descended from him. Other famous bearers of this name include the 5th-century patron saint of Wales, two kings of Scotland, empiricist philosopher David Hume, and explorer David Livingstone. This is also the name of the hero of Charles Dickens' semiautobiographical novel 'David Copperfield'.

boring.
P90

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2006, 12:25:28 PM »
Shake is

???

Yeah, its gotten to the point that I've had people call me Tails. Usually dumb nTard rejects, but still... o_O
BKO