Author Topic: ToxicAdam  (Read 1193 times)

Lonestar

ToxicAdam
« on: November 30, 2006, 03:52:17 PM »
Do u have the img source for that one picture of a newspaper clipping in which a pregnant woman is smoking a cigarette and lamenting the fact that the noise caused by construction could cause undue harm to her baby? 

:rofl 

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: ToxicAdam
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 03:53:19 PM »
I'll look it up when I get home.

Lonestar

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 03:53:37 PM »
:rock

ToxicAdam

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 03:57:27 PM »

Diablos

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 03:59:25 PM »
 :lol

shedt

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 04:01:54 PM »
that's gold

whiteACID

• RAWR
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 04:02:14 PM »
he got that from me btw
boo

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 04:05:22 PM »
he got that from me btw

No, actually I got it from a LiveJournal image grab back in 2004.

Lonestar

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 04:06:26 PM »
rofl thats fucking awesome

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ToxicAdam

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 04:11:10 PM »
Here's a cached follow up article on this picture. I guess it caused quite a stir in this city.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:sLSnaiXUhNMJ:www.roanoke.com/columnists/kennedy/11293.html+Mellissa+Williamson+Roanoke&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Thursday morning, Williamson said she knows smoking is bad because people have criticized her since she took up the practice 20 years ago.

"I really don't pay that much attention to it," she said. "If people don't like it, that's their opinion. They've got theirs and I've got mine."

She has tried every way to quit without success, she said.

As for smoking while pregnant, she said her doctor told her "it would be good if I cut back, but if I totally quit, it would not only cause stress on me but it would cause stress on the baby."

Speaking generally, Eric Earnhart, spokesman for Carilion Health System, said any pregnant person who comes to its facilities "is going to be advised to quit smoking."

It is possible, he said, that a person having difficulty quitting would be advised at least to cut down.

Williamson said she has cut down from two packs per day to one-half pack.

Smoking is estimated to account for 20 percent to 30 percent of low birth-weight babies, up to 14 percent of preterm deliveries and 10 percent of all infant deaths. Asthma is twice as likely in children whose mothers smoke more than 10 cigarettes per day. This is just a fraction of the possible harm.

"The most effective way to protect the fetus is to quit smoking," the American Lung Association says.

Williamson is a small woman with long brown hair. She didn't finish high school. She hasn't seen her father since she was 13. She has worked in fast food, but doesn't have a job.

"I've heard of the Internet," she said, "but I've never used it. I have no knowledge of computers whatsoever."

She didn't learn about her widespread critics until a few days after the photo appeared. Her ex-husband said his co-workers had talked about it.

"It didn't bother me," she said. "It went in one ear and out the other. I've heard this all my life."

I think she's an easy target, and I think Andrea Siebentritt of the American Cancer Society had the most thoughtful response.

She has a sad story ...

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 04:18:22 PM »
I don't get it. Is this supposed to be funny because of the stupidity of it, or is there an inside joke? The idea of her unborn baby, which probably hasn't developed its auditory system yet, being effected by outside noise is quite funny

And she's smoking :lol

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 04:22:51 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 04:26:25 PM »
Malek I had to think it through step by step. In a scientific manner. I couldn't simply look at the picture and laugh - there has to be factual evidence for why I should laugh.

:violin

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 04:30:28 PM »
Malek I had to think it through step by step. In a scientific manner. I couldn't simply look at the picture and laugh - there has to be factual evidence for why I should laugh.

What is there to think about? She is concerned about the harm noise pollution will have on her unborn child, while she nevertheless smokes and harms her child with a far more harmful pollutant. This is ironic and thus funny.  ::)

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 04:31:53 PM »

What is there to think about? She is concerned about the harm noise pollution will have on her unborn child, while she nevertheless smokes and harms her child with a far more harmful pollutant. This is ironic and thus funny.  ::)

It's not my fault I have a more complex mind than yours :shh

anthonyOA

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 04:36:49 PM »
 :lol jesus

Himu

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 04:43:19 PM »
 :lol
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 04:43:53 PM »

It's not my fault I have a more complex mind than yours :shh
No, it's God's fault that you couldn't immediately realize the funny. Ask him for a new brain.
AMC

Lonestar

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 06:28:54 PM »
I don't get it. Is this supposed to be funny because of the stupidity of it, or is there an inside joke? The idea of her unborn baby, which probably hasn't developed its auditory system yet, being effected by outside noise is quite funny

And she's smoking :lol

Exactly what I was talking about earlier.   ::)

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 12:46:49 AM »
*smh*

God PD...