Author Topic: apple still sucks: news at 11  (Read 6015 times)

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
apple still sucks: news at 11
« on: January 06, 2009, 01:58:16 PM »
lol $2800 17-inch laptop w/o blu-ray

lol having to pay for songs you already bought to be DRM-free

lol ilife
AMC

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: apple still sucks: news at 11
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »
even bigger lols for the folks who can't wait to waste their money on everything apple releases

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »
2800 fucking dollars? That almost 4 of a PC version
wha

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 02:03:42 PM »
Apple is the new Sony confirmed.
serge

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 02:04:50 PM »
liu kang baking a pie am crying in closet confirmed
haw

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 02:07:04 PM »
i'll buy anything as long it's shiny and from apple
nat

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 02:09:48 PM »
Apple has always been ahead of the game. You don't want to be the biggest, you want to get a dedicated base of users and milk them for every dollar you can.

Designer electronics. It's a goal that Sony has been reaching for forever.

They will get people to buy that uber-laptop and the profit on it will be far greater than churning out millions of E-machines.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
Apple has always been ahead of the game. You don't want to be the biggest, you want to get a dedicated base of users and milk them for every dollar you can.

Designer electronics. It's a goal that Sony has been reaching for forever.

They will get people to buy that uber-laptop and the profit on it will be far greater than churning out millions of E-machines.

Isn't Nintendo a much better example than Sony? Maybe not this generation, but for a couple there. Sony has screwed itself into the ground with the PS3. I get what you're saying though. I guess Sony just sucks at it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 02:13:32 PM by CajoleJuice »
AMC

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 02:18:44 PM »
Well, my example was pricing yourself into a situation where you are more expensive than the competition (but offering a comparable product) but using your brand name (and the implied social cache that it carries) as the reason for the consumer to pay more. You will never be the market leader (unless you get lucky on a hot product) but will always turn a profit.

The same concept used in the jeans, shoe industry for years.

Sony has always done that with their other electronics (televisions, etc) for years.

E-DuB

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 02:19:51 PM »
Hey man how do you think they pay for that shiny gloss that is on every single one of their products? You think that shit grows on tress???

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 02:20:48 PM »
Well, my example was pricing yourself into a situation where you are more expensive than the competition (but offering a comparable product) but using your brand name (and the implied social cache that it carries) as the reason for the consumer to pay more. You will never be the market leader (unless you get lucky on a hot product) but will always turn a profit.

The same concept used in the jeans, shoe industry for years.

Sony has always done that with their other electronics (televisions, etc) for years.

Yeah, sorry I immediately went with the gaming forum analogy. :(
AMC

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
AMC

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 02:53:04 PM »
The keyboard illuminates! I'll buy a dozen.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 02:53:21 PM »
No click wheel ???
:9

drew

• sy
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 03:36:26 PM »
The keyboard illuminates! I'll buy a dozen.

lol.  i never even use it

what a shitty feature

cool breeze

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »
seriously guys, stufu.  non-removable 8 hour max battery that dies down within a year > 5 hour max replaceable batteries on a laptop at a 5th the price.  apple knows batteries.  2 hours of iphone usage :bow2 reliability :piss2

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 04:26:58 PM »
:lol  at people expecting a budget macbook or something.  Every time there's an event, a vocal crowd of people who the event doesn't pertain to claims that apple has *surely* gone off the deep end this time and every time, nothing comes of it.  Dirty poors.

also, Sony fails so hard at the designer electronics thing. 

also, apple fails at drm free music.  I've seen the amazon way.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 04:29:29 PM by Kranz Fafka »

TVC15

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »
It really shows how close to death Steve must be if this is the best he could come up with.  He just needs to die and let someone else take over so the Power Book G3 Wall Street could come back.
serge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 04:36:50 PM »
applefags owned... lmfao
fat

drew

• sy
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »
dont even get me started on apples batteries

what a shitty company

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »
enjoy ur emachines you gays and ur virusses and spywear blue screen of death lol

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »
man, it may be ugly, but best buy has a 17" 1680x1050 gateway P8400 with a 512MB 9800gts and a blu-ray drive for $1049. apple cachet ain't worth a $1600+ premium to me, and i can actually afford the damn thing!
duc

TVC15

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 04:57:11 PM »
man, it may be ugly, but best buy has a 17" 1680x1050 gateway P8400 with a 512MB 9800gts and a blu-ray drive for $1049. apple cachet ain't worth a $1600+ premium to me, and i can actually afford the damn thing!

I wouldn't take a dump on a 17" laptop that only had a resolution of 1680x1050.  1920x1200 or bust.
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »
especially if you have the blu-ray drive
AMC

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 05:14:25 PM »

I wouldn't take a dump on a 17" laptop that only had a resolution of 1680x1050.  1920x1200 or bust.

I would fistfight the entirety of the state of New Jersey for 1440x900 :(
UK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 05:50:23 PM »
Morons are still going to line up for it and it will sell like gangbusters.
🍆🍆

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 05:54:15 PM »
lol $2800 17-inch laptop w/o blu-ray

lol having to pay for songs you already bought to be DRM-free

lol ilife
I checked, to upgrade the iTunes songs I have to DRM-free, it'll be close to $200. smh, Apple.  :-\

cloudwalking

• I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND
  • Forum Princess
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 05:57:54 PM »
i just went to the apple store tonight with my totally hip 20-something swiss mac-user friends and we read a liveblog of the macworld keynote in real time on my friend's iphone while drinking starbucks lattes

yeah, we're better than you :tophat

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 05:59:24 PM »
I don't get why computer enthusiasts still care about Apple's hardware.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 06:03:43 PM »

Image.

Apple knows how to hook 'em.  People are paying for the image.  It is the same vein as like said earlier, fashion.  We all know that Prada bags aren't worth the $1,000+ that they go for but having one makes you look cool and above the unwashed masses.
🍆🍆

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 06:52:24 PM »
To be fair, the OS is pretty rad. That said, despite the fact that I work in an Apple store, I'd still never actually pay that much for a computer.

:bow My $700 PC :bow2

:piss Paying twice as much for the same thing from Apple :piss2

odb

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 07:09:04 PM »
i just went to the apple store tonight with my totally hip 20-something swiss mac-user friends and we read a liveblog of the macworld keynote in real time on my friend's iphone while drinking starbucks lattes

Could you spit on something and mail it to me?
brb

TVC15

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2009, 07:13:24 PM »
To be fair, the OS is pretty rad. That said, despite the fact that I work in an Apple store, I'd still never actually pay that much for a computer.

Certain netbooks can run OSX pretty much perfectly.  I forget which.  I know there's some blatant issue with my EEE 1000H that prevents me from using it.  No sound driver or something like that in OSX.
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009, 07:20:18 PM »

Could you spit on something and mail it to me?

wow

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i should ask for this in an email to veronica
[close]
AMC

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 07:22:19 PM »

Certain netbooks can run OSX pretty much perfectly.  I forget which.  I know there's some blatant issue with my EEE 1000H that prevents me from using it.  No sound driver or something like that in OSX.

Surely Linux is faster for Netbook use, though?
odb

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 07:29:14 PM »
Can someone explain to me why all the graphic designers, publicist and other artsy assholes love apple so much? do the macbooks have super magical photoshop or something?
Drunk

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 07:52:27 PM »
Surely Linux is faster for Netbook use, though?

For what it's worth I threw it on my netbook (MSI Wind, upgraded to 2GB RAM) and the OS runs pretty good for what I do (basic Photoshop, browsing and whatnot). I also heard the Half-Life 2 OSX build runs a hell of a lot better on netbooks running OSX than it does on Crossover Linux or Windows.

That's been fixed:

http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/internal-sound
うぐう

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 11:57:53 PM »
itm

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 12:25:40 AM »
Wait, you can't record video on the iPhone?

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 12:29:32 AM »
wait
you can't record video on a stone?
nat

pilonv1

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 12:30:01 AM »
stone has better battery life too
itm

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 12:43:39 AM »
Image.
Apple knows how to hook 'em.  People are paying for the image.  It is the same vein as like said earlier, fashion.  We all know that Prada bags aren't worth the $1,000+ that they go for but having one makes you look cool and above the unwashed masses.
Ever since the CD was invented, has Apple made any must-have hardware that impressed people only because of it's functionality?  Cause that was actually a long time ago.

I'm guessing that the only real reason for covering new Apple products is that Apple fans want to immediately find out what new shiny shit they can splooge over and so there's some ad revenue.  If this was like football, Apple would be the half-time show.

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »
The Touch is pretty cool. I don't regret buying one of those at all.
odb

pilonv1

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2009, 01:34:30 AM »
well the iphone is also underclocked compared to a touch
itm

TVC15

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2009, 04:31:17 AM »
Image.
Ever since the CD was invented, has Apple made any must-have hardware that impressed people only because of it's functionality?  Cause that was actually a long time ago.

And you hadn't been so distinguished mentally-challenged lately.  Bummer onbreaking the streak, but the iPhone functionality has killed everything else out there, including the Android.  But if you want to go back a bit further, Apple was the first to have dibs on the Core line of Intel processors.  Before that?  Well, 10.4 is pretty much the only reason XP has needed to be upgraded.

Facts are facts: If you think Apple doesn't bring anything new to the table, you are pretty dumb.  They aren't perfect, and they have a bad habit of cutting corners on non-prime hardware, but the fact still stands:  Despite recent apparent improvements, am nintenho is still a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.
serge

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2009, 05:31:10 AM »
Can someone explain to me why all the graphic designers, publicist and other artsy assholes love apple so much? do the macbooks have super magical photoshop or something?

For me, it's the general ease of use and productivity-friendly nature of OS X that does it. Once you get used to dragging documents to the dock apps, using exposé and stuff like that, going back to a windows environment feels very cumbersome in comparison. Also, for graphic designers and artsy assholes, I suspect the superior aesthetic qualities of OS X visavi the windows equivalents is also a factor
地平線

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2009, 08:25:42 AM »
And you hadn't been so distinguished mentally-challenged lately.  Bummer onbreaking the streak, but the iPhone functionality has killed everything else out there, including the Android.  But if you want to go back a bit further, Apple was the first to have dibs on the Core line of Intel processors.  Before that?  Well, 10.4 is pretty much the only reason XP has needed to be upgraded.
Facts are facts: If you think Apple doesn't bring anything new to the table, you are pretty dumb.  They aren't perfect, and they have a bad habit of cutting corners on non-prime hardware, but the fact still stands:  Despite recent apparent improvements, am nintenho is still a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.
I was mostly interested in computer hardware but I didn't know about the Intel thing.  The iPhone was WAY overpriced considering the quick price drop and it's still a pretty niche cell phone since most people don't need data plans and web browsers.

I was mostly wondering what kind of hardware Apple made that the general public would find (technically) interesting?  Since they overprice most things, they're still a pretty niche company in the computer market which is why I'm put off by the publicity they get.  To me, it seems like we get more coverage of new Apple hardware than software.

Draft

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2009, 10:20:43 AM »
That little Core factoid sounds fishy. 2006 Macbooks were one of the first PCs to have Core CPUs, but I don't remember any sort of exclusive thing going on, and Apple had jackshit to do with developing that technology.

TVC15

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2009, 10:40:05 AM »
Yeah, looks like I am wrong about the Core thing.  I am distinguished mentally-challenged.  I do know that comparatively speaking Apple's were kind of cheap compared to the other PCs swith the same tech.  It was Apple's first Intel chip, so I think they got them at a competetive rate.

I am distinguished mentally-challenged :(
[close]
serge

dammitmattt

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2009, 11:03:39 AM »
The iPhone has its quirks, but the overall package still shits on any other phone out there (in the US, at least).

Draft

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2009, 11:07:01 AM »
Yeah, looks like I am wrong about the Core thing.  I am distinguished mentally-challenged.  I do know that comparatively speaking Apple's were kind of cheap compared to the other PCs swith the same tech.  It was Apple's first Intel chip, so I think they got them at a competetive rate.

I am distinguished mentally-challenged :(
[close]
That's OK buddy. Nobody expects accurate technical information from Mac fans.

elektrikluv

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2009, 11:18:45 AM »

For me, it's the general ease of use and productivity-friendly nature of OS X that does it. Once you get used to dragging documents to the dock apps, using exposé and stuff like that, going back to a windows environment feels very cumbersome in comparison. Also, for graphic designers and artsy assholes, I suspect the superior aesthetic qualities of OS X visavi the windows equivalents is also a factor

Yeah the same for me too. I used Windows all my life, then started playing around with my boyfriend's MacBook Pro and I really loved OS X, for me I found it a lot faster, easier and nicer to use so bought myself a MacBook. Also on my PC I was constantly getting ladened down with viruses and spyware, and yes I did run regular scans and I know there are ways to get rid of particular viruses but I found it long winded and I wasn't very good at it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2009, 11:20:03 AM »
Well you are a woman, it is to be expected.
fat

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2009, 11:20:20 AM »
Well you are a woman, it is to be expected.

beat me to it
AMC

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2009, 11:21:27 AM »
( o )( o ) - "I wasn't very good at it."
fat

elektrikluv

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2009, 11:28:15 AM »