Author Topic: Low tech idea to improve anologue control (360)  (Read 1470 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Low tech idea to improve anologue control (360)
« on: December 03, 2006, 12:04:27 AM »
http://forzamotorsport.net/devcorner/pitpass/pitpass25.htm

Turning Into a KontrolFreek

This week also saw Forza Motorsport 2's game director Dan Greenawalt playing with new ways to control his driving game. Donnie Walker over at KontrolFreek sent us a couple of his prototype analog stick adapters that snaps conveniently to your Xbox 360 nub. The point of this adapter is to give the player greater ease and comfort in driving games where you mainly move the analog stick in left or right motions. Dan got his KontrolFreek on and came up with these impressions:

"Everyone knows it can be extremely difficult to control a racing simulator with a gamepad. One thumb, a three centimeter thumbstick and about one centimeter of travel just doesn’t provide as much fidelity as a steering wheel. It takes a lot of manual dexterity to precisely modulate such a small control -- especially when controlling a simulation engine like Forza Motorsport 2 with its physics running at 360 frames per second. Most players are reduced to tapping the control, thereby reducing the control to little more than a digital gamepad. Can you imagine driving your real car at high speeds using only digital inputs – full lock right, full lock left, wide open throttle and pedal through the floor braking?

"Recently Che gave me an odd-looking piece of plastic that snaps onto the Xbox 360 gamepad thumbstick head. This accessory for your accessory is meant to increase the controllable surface area of the thumbstick. Basically, it’s a better lever. While I "got" the theory immediately, I was skeptical about how effective it could really be.

"After using it for the better part of the afternoon, I’m convinced. While it’s no replacement for a good racing wheel, it’s a remarkable improvement over an unaltered thumbstick. I’m able to roll my thumb across the control and use the raised walls to manipulate the control much more precisely. It just feels natural. I’m always struck by how some of the most meaningful innovation is often the most low-tech improvements on an old idea.

"It’s a shame about the bright green color. The Xbox 360 controller is a nice piece of industrial design. Pardon the pun, but this thing sticks out like a sore thumb.

"Here’s the bottom line. This thing is cheap and small. If you don’t mind looking like a dork using it, it will make you gamepad racing experience much better and probably drop your lap times as well."

So there you have it folks. Turn 10's audio test lead and racing cockpit afficionado probably won't be trashing his setup any time soon, but this is pretty cool. Something to pick up for a stocking stuffer perhaps, or even for yourself if you're looking to improve your analog stick experience.
Hopefully it'll be packed with all controllers.  Would appreciate more colors too.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Re: Low tech idea to improve anologue control (360)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 12:13:11 AM »
Looks kind of strange.
萌え~

Diablos

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 12:50:22 AM »
I think that's a pretty cool idea.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 01:17:55 AM »
It'll probably be detachable anyways.  Like $1 if you lost it.

cubicle47b

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 02:23:15 AM »
Cool, I'm looking forward to Forza 2.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 02:50:43 AM »
The physics run at 360 frames per second???
AMC

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 02:52:20 AM »
The physics run at 360 frames per second???
Typo, they meant 60.
萌え~

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 06:01:07 PM »
Nah, I think it really is 360 frames per second.  Forza recalculated it's physics 240 times per second, and the graphics engine was 30 fps.  And I just read something recently (I think) that said Forza 2's physics were six times the framerate.
sig