Author Topic: Oblivion PC appreciation thread  (Read 2933 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Oblivion PC appreciation thread
« on: December 05, 2006, 03:10:17 AM »
This game so destroys the 360 version.  The mods make the game as fun as Morrowind, and there are enough addons to make it have twice the content of the originally boxed version.  Not to mention it murders the 360 version visually.

Anyway, I just wanted to show off my new character:

serge

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: Oblivion PC appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 08:51:57 AM »
A black man with no cheek bones?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 08:55:41 AM »
boring
fat

Wobedraggled

• Almost Died Once
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 10:10:19 AM »
If you are gonna play it, pc is the way to go, like the OP said the mods make it almost playable :)

Wii

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 11:59:39 AM »
Yup. The vanilla Oblivion with its autolevelling enemy bullshit is a chore. Amazingly, if you install Francesco or Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul packs -- the latter of which replaces many randomly generated enemies with hand-specified ones -- you get a MUCH MUCH MUCH better experience.
duc

TVC15

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 05:24:08 PM »
I might actually try to play Oblivion tonight rather than making funny looking characters.

I hear you have a good one, Drinky.
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 05:38:13 PM »
haha, my character cannot be shared with the forum lest MAF send me to join The Dark Shake in THE SHIT*BIN.
duc

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 05:40:16 PM »
Is the 360 version a good alternative, or does it suck?

It's fine.  It also looks great provided you have a good TV or monitor.  But there's no doubt that the PC version is better simply because you can mod it.
ど助平

Cyanista

• IGNORE ME
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 06:35:52 PM »
Mod, hack, all kinds of shit.  Is there *any* game that isn't better on PC than console?  Aside from xmen legends 2. 

I played oblivion for a long time. Got my unbreakable lockpick via quest, stole enough shit to buy myself four houses, and then got bored without ever going to any of the gates. 
omg

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 09:17:46 PM »
I played about 5 hours on the 360, but found it hard to continue once I realized that enemies auto-levelled up bullshit the entire game.

I'm curious to try again on a dope PC rig with hell-of-add ons.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 09:20:02 PM by Synthesizer Patel »
乱学者

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 09:41:03 PM »
Didn't beat the game.

Got it for the PC, grinded like fuck, missed the fact that I couldn't exploit the leveling system like in Morrowind (:lol ), exploited the quick save system in some of the Gates of Oblivion by quick saving right before I pull the orb from the gate, if I didn't get the orb I wanted I would quick load and keep on doing this until I got what I had wanted (Making a full suit of Daedric Armor with Feather enchantment or Invisibility was fun)

Didn't really like the game "World" it was beautiful yes but I found Morrowinds world to be much more interesting to explore. But one saving grace about this game is that Stealing and Breaking into houses is fun as fuck, I especially enjoyed picking locks.

One moment which was cool was picking up a random loot off a dead theif in a cave and seeing that it was an oh so beautiful Ebony Dagger. It was my first piece of unique weaponry apart from the corny Steel Weaponry I had been using before.
:9

Prost

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 07:12:22 AM »
I hit level 50 with 100 in every stat including luck, then went and made a spell giving me 100 athletics, acrobatics, and speed.  Ran around jumping around like superman for a little while... this was around the time I finally completed all 4 guild quest lines, and then I tried to speed through the main quest line before I got bored just to see the ending.....  I didn't make it :(
:-þ

Cupil

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 10:51:17 AM »
post more custom characters  :-*

Prost

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 12:12:26 PM »
Didn't beat the game.

Got it for the PC, grinded like fuck, missed the fact that I couldn't exploit the leveling system like in Morrowind (:lol ), exploited the quick save system in some of the Gates of Oblivion by quick saving right before I pull the orb from the gate, if I didn't get the orb I wanted I would quick load and keep on doing this until I got what I had wanted (Making a full suit of Daedric Armor with Feather enchantment or Invisibility was fun)

Didn't really like the game "World" it was beautiful yes but I found Morrowinds world to be much more interesting to explore. But one saving grace about this game is that Stealing and Breaking into houses is fun as fuck, I especially enjoyed picking locks.

One moment which was cool was picking up a random loot off a dead theif in a cave and seeing that it was an oh so beautiful Ebony Dagger. It was my first piece of unique weaponry apart from the corny Steel Weaponry I had been using before.

I've never played morrowind but I'm interested in a cool way to exploit the leveling system.  How did you do that?  And is it really an exploit?  If I know these I might give the game more than 5 minutes. lol

Cupil

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 12:15:24 PM »
You exploit it by always getting the maximum mulitpliers possible every time you level.

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 12:27:31 PM »
Mod, hack, all kinds of shit.  Is there *any* game that isn't better on PC than console?  Aside from xmen legends 2. 

I played oblivion for a long time. Got my unbreakable lockpick via quest, stole enough shit to buy myself four houses, and then got bored without ever going to any of the gates. 

Your anti-console stance is so hot. :hyper
dap

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 03:59:02 PM »
Didn't beat the game.

I've never played morrowind but I'm interested in a cool way to exploit the leveling system.  How did you do that?  And is it really an exploit?  If I know these I might give the game more than 5 minutes. lol

You exploit it by always getting the maximum mulitpliers possible every time you level.

What Cupil said. Also, you can level up certain traits very easily (like Sneaking). Once you get to Vivec, you can build your Armor and Weapon abilities quickly. So if you exploit these things, you'll become very powerful very quickly which in turns allows you to blast through the game and explore.

Its really fun and certain Weapons and Armor in this game you can grab right off the bat (like Glass Armor)

Prost

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 04:11:45 PM »
So it's no different than you just going to Leyawinn in Oblivion and letting the little devils in that chick's house beat the shit out of you so you get your armor up, and then just beating the shit out of them to get your attack up real fast?

I'm not knocking your ideas but it just seems like it's more of a "good and quick idea" than an actual exploit.

thats what i did in oblivion (10 skills per level) and you get +5 to 3 different stats (excluding luck which must always be added one at a time).

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 04:36:47 PM »
Oh thats not the exploit

The exploit is using trainers in Morrowind to level up quickly (if you've got the money). In Oblivion you can only train up like 3 or 4 levels? (If I remember correctly). In Morrowind, if you've found the Master Trainers and have enough cash, you can essentially level up one of your skill to 99 with that trainer.

It makes leveling up in Morrowind go by much quicker

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »
Morrowind was so broken lol.
o_0

Prost

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 04:53:55 PM »
Oh thats not the exploit

The exploit is using trainers in Morrowind to level up quickly (if you've got the money). In Oblivion you can only train up like 3 or 4 levels? (If I remember correctly). In Morrowind, if you've found the Master Trainers and have enough cash, you can essentially level up one of your skill to 99 with that trainer.

It makes leveling up in Morrowind go by much quicker
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  now that's what i wanted!

TVC15

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 10:59:07 PM »
I took another screen before I left the tutorial dungeon last night:

I cleaned him up a bit afterwards.  If I play any more tonite I will update.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 02:16:26 AM »
Tonite I just started wandering around the overworld:

Didn't get to wander too much, still tweaking the game to perfection.  Note that the screenshot suffers from some compression because I fucked up converting it to jpg and I erased the source file before I noticed.
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 11:01:36 AM »
you NEED the parallax mapping mod. NEED! Your screenshot's lack of parallax mapping makes me weep!
duc

Cupil

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 04:46:22 PM »
whut am parallax mapping

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 05:14:23 PM »
a  variant of normal mapping that gives the illusion of perspective-biased depth to a surface texture
duc

TVC15

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2006, 02:42:51 AM »
Three screenshots.  Each one is slightly more modded than the previous:

Slightly modded:

Two more mods added:

Current state (2 more added, I think):

I think it's impossible to make water look good from a distance.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 02:44:24 AM by TVC 15 »
serge

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2006, 04:01:05 AM »
waht video card do you have? How well will a 7900GS run it?
UNF

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006, 10:58:47 AM »
7900GS will run it fine. I think TVC has an X1900XTX.
duc

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006, 11:05:55 AM »
boring
fat

Cupil

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 11:06:17 AM »
if those graphics mods are so great why didn't they put it in the original game

ps tighten up the graphx  :-*

TVC15

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 05:48:17 PM »
if those graphics mods are so great why didn't they put it in the original game

ps tighten up the graphx  :-*

Bethesda are ambitious developers, but their games have always been "rough around the edges," to put it nicely.
serge