Author Topic: Talladega Nights goes FAST to #1 at box office (oh Mojo, your zany headlines!)  (Read 5297 times)

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Quote from: BOM
'Talladega Nights' Goes Fast to No. 1
by Brandon Gray
August 6, 2006

Answering the need for speed and humor, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby stocked an estimated $47 million on around 5,200 screens at 3,803 venues, finishing its opening lap at No. 1. A bullish Barnyard weighed in at a distant second, while fellow openers The Descent and The Night Listener had little impact.

Talladega Nights, Sony's $73 million NASCAR send-up, out-paced Scary Movie 4 as the top comedy debut of the year, and it marked a personal best start for lead actor Will Ferrell, whose box office had been stuck in neutral since his Elf breakout in 2003.

Sony's president of distribution, Rory Bruer, said that the studio originally hoped Talladega Nights would open to $30 million, comparable to Ferrell's Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. "We really got everyone, young and old, red states and blue states," Bruer noted. Sony's exit polling indicated that the audience was 53 percent male and 52 percent under 25 years old.

The third computer-animated movie in three weeks, Paramount's Barnyard, milked an estimated $16 million from around 3,600 screens at 3,311 sites. It avoided the fate of The Ant Bully, which flopped with $8.4 million last weekend, but trailed Monster House's $22.2 million debut two weeks ago. The format, which has suffered from over-saturation this year, has an average opening weekend of $36 million.

"We're thrilled, because, most [industry trackers] didn't have Barnyard doing more than $11 million and some had us doing Ant Bully business," said Don Harris, Paramount's executive vice president and general sales manager. "This is the least expensive of all the animated movies out, with a budget of a little more than $50 million."

Gag-driven Barnyard, which incorrectly presented cows as male, had the Nickelodeon brand and marketing muscle behind it—the cable network routinely finds an audience for its animated features, including past hits Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius and the Rugrats and SpongeBob SquarePants movies. Paramount's research suggested that 75 percent of Barnyard's audience was family with an even split between genders.

Also opening, British horror The Descent excavated an estimated $8.8 million at 2,095 locations, more than last summer's similar The Cave but far from another genre triumph for distributor Lionsgate. Miramax's The Night Listener, a low profile thriller featuring Robin Williams, drew a paltry estimated $3.6 million at 1,367 theaters.

Among holdover, summer's blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest slid 47 percent but has racked up $379.7 million in 31 days. Last weekend's top gun, Miami Vice, plunged 62 percent, and the $135 million cop drama has grossed $45.7 million in 10 days. Director Michael Mann's previous dark action picture, Collateral, eased 35 percent from an opening comparable to Vice.

Overall weekend business charged over 20 percent past the comparable frame last year when The Dukes of Hazzard, courting the same audience as Talladega Nights, claimed first place with $30.7 million.

Talladega Nights' best gags weren't as funny as Anchorman's best gags, but it's actually a coherent movie and much more consistent in humor.  Worth the $6 Universal CityWalk matinee price!
PSP

heavy liquid

I'll probably catch a matinee of this.  They reviewed it on Ebert & Roeper yesterday, and it got good reviews and looked pretty funny. 

Jay Leno was sitting in for Ebert though.  Ewwww.  Man, that big chinned goof is freaky.  I don't know how so many people can watch his show.  Then again, stuff like "The OC" is popular, so there's no accounting for taste.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
It's worth a matinee ticket for the gag reel during the credits alone.  I'd love to see someone let Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly go completely off the cuff for an entire movie.
PSP

heavy liquid

It's funny, I was thinking about gag reels the other day.  It seems like in the past 5 or 8 years or so, they've become really popular.  All of the Pixar films have them now, etc.  I think the Farrelly Brothers really started the trend with their comedies...  I never noticed them in many movies before theirs.  Well, besides Jackie Chan's movies, I guess.   :)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
I didn't laugh once at the trailer when I went to Pirates of the Caribbean 2.

However, I *did* think "wow, the bit with the cougar WOULD be funny if there wasn't any stupid kee-razy backstory for it and it was just a random cougar leaping out of a car to kill Will Ferrell, the unfunny Carrey-esque fuck." The rest of the time: STONEFACED.
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
The cougar was pretty random, actually.  The reason for it was for Ferrell to master his fear to start racing again.  Still random.

Ferrell is a different comedian than Carrey.  He reminds me more of a poor man's Steven Martin than anything.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
I hated Old School, Dodgeball, and Anchorman. I also hated ELF, for that matter, although that was more because the title reminded me of eventlog. Don't ask.
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Will Ferrell wasn't in Dodgeball!
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
That's right. I still hated it.

Was he in The Wedding Crashers? 'cuz I hated that too.
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Yeah, he had a cameo in that as the guy who taught Wilson and Vaughn everything the knew.
PSP

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
Saw it and enjoyed it. Not OMG BEST OF SUMMER but I laughed so it was worth the price. Anchorman was better though.

Nick

I hated Old School, Dodgeball, and Anchorman. I also hated ELF, for that matter, although that was more because the title reminded me of eventlog. Don't ask.

do you hate zoolander

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Saw it and enjoyed it. Not OMG BEST OF SUMMER but I laughed so it was worth the price. Anchorman was better though.

Clerks II is obviously the best film of the summer.  Talladega Nights had an extreme lack of interspecies erotica.
PSP

G The Resurrected

I really thought the movie was one of Will's best. I liked elf, and anchorman was ok, this was gold.

The comedy was consistant through out the movie and John C Riley was freaking hilarious (this guy doesnt get enough credit in anything he does everything from drama to comedy) when shit hit the fan for bobby. But the fucking gag real at the end had me rolling so fucking hard. I was surprised for a PG-13 movie that some of the jokes got in there. Especially the play girl one.

I hope Will and Riley do another movie together. If anything another Nascar or racing movie.

Oh and will's kids in the movies were freaking hilarious as well as Will's daddy. Just a good overall cast. They didnt use the red head chick as much as they should have though. I expected to see tits and ass, she was crazy in Wedding Crashers (please baby jesus in your diamond incrusted gold diapers send this girl to my house so that i might love her for one night)

Oh and how the fuck did you pay 6 bucks for a matinee at fucking city walk and i had to pay 7 bucks? I think my theatre is fucking people over since they seem to absorbed the cost of fandango into every ticket purchase.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
CityWalk has a special early matinee special thing now.  $6 woo!  It's not the Arclight, but it's one of the best in town!
PSP

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
Damn, when I hit up Universal there wasn't anything good playing at the Citywalk :(

BTW, do they still have that massive EB Games right in the middle? How about that small, out-of-the-way comics shop that used to play ATHF episodes?  :P
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 04:29:22 PM by Passion of the Shake »
BKO

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Yeah, the EB Games is still there and kickin'.  Same with the comic store (I got a Flash Gordon bobblehead there!).  CityWalk has been a place I hangout more and more -- what with $6 matinee tickets (and they show every fucking movie out with DLP screenings and IMAX 3D also in the theatre) and Karl Strauss brewery's beers that are $4.50 a pint.
PSP

• The Walking Dead
I was gonna go to Universal this summer, but couldn't find anyone to go with me for more than a day or two  :-\

I hate living on the East Coast. We need a motherfucking Carl's Jr. here, too!  >:(
BKO

G The Resurrected

Citywalk is nice, i wonder how much its changed in 7 years since i was there last. I liked it a lot with all the stores and shit. Cheap movie tickets especially for DLP.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber

You hate freedom

Was he in The Wedding Crashers? 'cuz I hated that too.

Dude you REALLY hate freedom. :(
püp

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
The gags are predictable goofball shit that grew stale right about the time Chevy Chase had his career assfucked by real comedy.
duc

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
The gags are predictable goofball shit that grew stale right about the time Chevy Chase had his career assfucked by real comedy.

I can understand hate for Anchorman and Dodgeball, but old School and Wedding Crashers?  ???

Clerks II is the best anyway.
püp

• The Walking Dead
BrandNew, don't mention any of those films in the same breath as Clerks II. Thanks.
BKO

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Wedding Crashers was just loathesome.

Well, except for Isla Fisher -- she's pure bangin'.
duc

Cheebs

They didnt use the red head chick as much as they should have though. I expected to see tits and ass, she was crazy in Wedding Crashers (please baby jesus in your diamond incrusted gold diapers send this girl to my house so that i might love her for one night)

Different girls.

Amy Adams was in Talladega Nights:

Isla Fisher was in Wedding Crashers:

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
BrandNew, don't mention any of those films in the same breath as Clerks II. Thanks.

Uh, I said it was better than all of them asshat.
püp

• The Walking Dead

Uh, I said it was better than all of them asshat.
Don't mention it anyway. Will Ferrel claptrap sours Clerks II's name  >:(
BKO

G The Resurrected

Different girls.

Amy Adams was in Talladega Nights:
(Image removed from quote.)

Isla Fisher was in Wedding Crashers:
(Image removed from quote.)

Dear Lord Baby Jesus with your little golden halo of blinding light, please send these two gorgeous females to my door so that i might create babies in your name, and all gods people said AMEN

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
I thought the movie was pretty damn funny. I definitely laughed more in the theater at this one than I did with Anchorman (except for the fight scene that had me dying). Anchorman has grown on me a shitload since my initial viewing though. Anyhow, I guess my opinion really doesn't matter because I love Old School, Zoolander, Dodgeball, Anchorman, Wedding Crashers, and 40 Year Old Virgin. Drinky Crow is dead inside.
AMC

Cyanista

• IGNORE ME
The previews for this didn't make me laugh at all, but the previews for Anchorman didn't either, and that movie was fucking hilarious.  Ferrel brings a weird likability to his douchebags that makes them endearing, and I'm a sucker for random jokes (that aren't horrible pop culture references, STFU Family Guy).

Old School wasn't funny at all unless Ferrel was onscreen, and Elf just wasn't funny, but Anchorman?? How can you not like Anchorman?
omg

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Where the hell do you losers that don't like Old School hang out? I swear to God, I haven't met a person that doesn't like Old School in real-life. What the fuck.
AMC

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
It was fuck-all tedious male validation bullshit "comedy" -- LOLZ WE'RE HORNY LOLZ WE WOUND UP LEARNING A FUCKING CUTE LITTLE MORAL ABOUT RESPECTING WOMEN AND OURSELVES. Fuck that shit -- if I want that message to play out properly, I'll watch Very Bad Things. I don't need another screwball comedy about misguided dudes and their humiliation on the road to some deus ex machina redemption. (I'll keep the titties and junk-kickin' that shows up along the way, though.) The Wedding Crashers was just meandering nonsense -- a collection of almost arbitrary scenes played for predictable sex gags coupled to a patently inane plot. The Farrelly Brothers already mastered that little art form, gentlemen, and we were officially sick of them after There's Something About Mary -- which, by the by, was more charming and poignant then Will's entire catalog combined.

Anchorman, Elf, Zoolander and Dodgeball were just formulaic "misfits versus evil establishment" shit that got played out in the 80s by any number of SNL alums, and it wasn't even funny back then save for a rare few gems. Ferrell's only recommending factor over, say, Dan Aykroyd is that pie-eyed innocence he plays so well -- but on the other hand, he has yet to make a Ghostbusters or Blues Brothers.

Also,  I pray to cyanista's friend's mom's God that I never have to endure Vince Vaughn doing comedy again.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 11:01:02 PM by Drinky Crow »
duc

Cheebs

he has yet to make a Ghostbusters or Blues Brothers.

Blues Brothers is one of the greatest comedy films of all time. I felt like I must say that.

And as much as I enjoy anchorman and talladega the movies from the 70's SNL group (Chase, Murrary, Belushi, Aykroyd) blow away any other comedy "group" films. They were golden.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
I am now going to watch Freddy Got Fingered and thus see Rip Torn masturbate an elephant to climax.
duc

• The Walking Dead
I am now going to watch Freddy Got Fingered and thus see Rip Torn masturbate an elephant to climax.
Now you see, I appreciate a film like that because it knew exactly who it was targeting. Shit like Wedding Crashers changing tones and becoming a romantic drama halway through is what really pisses me off.

Plus, I've always liked Tom Green. Stealing Harvard is another guilty pleasure  :P
BKO

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Tom Green apparently made it to "prank" Hollywood -- to just dish out random shit he knew would get the Joel Siegel types in a froth. It's by all accounts a legitimately awful movie from a cinematic perspective -- but it was SUPPOSED to be and HOW. Tom was given a budget and he used it to piss off folks, which love him or hate him is what got him notice in the first place. It's easier to appreciate his joke for $3.99 on discount at Fred Meyer, that's for sure.
duc

• The Walking Dead
Honestly, people who hate on Tom Green are fucking tools  :'(

(I'm surrounded by tools :'( :'( :'( )
BKO

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Hey, I like Tom Green too.
AMC

• The Walking Dead
BKO

Cyanista

• IGNORE ME
I hope Tom Green is enjoying his funny joke doing his podcast or whatever it is he's hawking now on G4.  Seriously, his show was hilarious, Freddy Got Fingered is time I will never get back.  Time he should be giving me.  Somehow.
omg

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
I'll trade you for the time I spent watching Anchorman!
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
:nuhuh

Finally have a reason to use this!
PSP

Cyanista

• IGNORE ME
Yessss.  I forgive this board based on your actions here today.
omg

• The Walking Dead
I'll trade you for the time I spent watching Anchorman!
Meh, I didn't like Anchorman much either but Steve Carrel's character was at least a bit humorous. The last funny film Will Ferrel made was Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, and that film still sucked  ::)
BKO

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I don't think Will Ferrell made that movie.  Don't try and weasel Kevin Smith's name out of that flick!
PSP

• The Walking Dead
I don't think Will Ferrell made that movie.  Don't try and weasel Kevin Smith's name out of that flick!
I meant that he was in...  >:(
BKO

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Well, that was...interesting.
duc