Author Topic: Sooo...Haven for PS2  (Read 1066 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Sooo...Haven for PS2
« on: December 06, 2006, 11:48:14 PM »

HAVEN - PS2

I had mentioned I picked up Haven for 3 dollars at Gamestop earlier today. It was mostly picked FOR me. I LIKED Vexx, as third-rate platforming goes it wasnt horrible. Maybe Haven was no different.

It's bad. I mean, its the kind of bad that I wish I inflicted in the bad-game challenge a month ago. I mean obviously the character deisgns are bad. They also got the voice work bad too. I mean there's this doctor guy and I have NO clue what he's saying. I just hear gibberish for 3 minutes then I hear BYE BYE which apparently is his cue to go.

So he leaves, and I leave his 'office'. Now Haven is apparently a slave. I gotta say right off that even people on welfare dont have it so good. I mean he has CLEAN clothes, a high tech yo yo, CORNROWS, some laser armband gun thing...The houses everyone lives in are taken care of and there's grass and fountains.

I mean the only indication that his people are enslaved are the guards that walk the town. They arent much of a threat tho. I can kill one of them while right next to another and he wont do anything. I could accidently run into him while trying to attack, and not even a scratch. Yet if I get to close to a barrel thats RED it might explode and KILL ME yuk yuk.

Now lets take a look at that picture above. Look at that status gauge. What the FUCK does any of that mean? Well apparently red means health, but I havent figured out what green means and the blue thing is a shield thing I think and whatever is at the center of the gauge is....jesus christ.

So I have come to the conclusion that Haven's people will NEVER escape because they are too fucking stupid. First step out of the house I see EVERY NPC in a very tight group at the center of the area. This includes guards. It is at this point they start dispersing from the center, but its a short trip as all of them turn around after about 4 yards of walking and head the opposite direction only to turn around at 4 yards.

What exactly are these slaves in charge of?

So ANYWAY im told that in order to escape through the elevator I need to gather 3 SEPERATE cogs. While exploring I found the elevator. Now im no genius, but when I see ONE cog missing from the machine, I have a real hard time figuring my need for THREE COGS. So I spend the time doing stupid 'tutorial' grade quests to get three cogs to use on the machine that by all accounts needs only one cog.

It's just frustrating to see this game in action cause its clear they didnt work on anything like AI or QUESTS THAT MAKE SENSE, but instead devoted time to make sure Haven pulls his hoodie over his precious cornrows whenever it starts raining, and takes the hoodie off when the suns out so he can parade around with his hairdo. What's worse is in order for this to be something anyone notices, it starts raining and stops raining every five fuckin seconds. Whats hilarious is in the picture below you can see that despite his best effort to keep the rows dry, he decides to just fucking jump into an ocean. GOD DAMNIT.

So the catch with Haven is that his people are ENSLAVED by a dependence on some drug. Well anyway Haven will start to run out of this drug in his system if you dick around too much. Something I learned quickly. As a result I was actually GRINDING a respawn point for this drug just so I could make the WALK to the elevator. What The Fuck.
o_0

Himu

Re: Sooo...Haven for PS2
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:51:34 PM »
I told you the game was shit.
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 11:53:44 PM »
I was hoping it was the zelda killer that Okami is :(
o_0

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 11:55:25 PM »
Maybe once you get past the tutorial area it gets better?  I know for a fact I saw people on GAF that liked this game as a sleeper.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 11:58:15 PM »
The yo yo controls are bad. If youre accidently holding forward while you attack it sends you forward well past the range of your initial yo yo strike and into the enemy or barrel. The hang sliding thing on the energy fields has controls so touchy it reminds me of sonic 360. I kept sending myself off the energy field or losing momentum so id fall into a pit.

I think going by the initial half hour, Vexx has this game beat as a sleeper platformer. I mean there's just so much lacking in just the general execution of mechanics and story I think calling it a sleeper is an insult to sleepers.

I will say it carries scenes ok with cinematic events, but maybe back then PS2 owners hadnt seen good 'events' in games lol.
o_0

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 05:41:34 AM »
I picked up Mark of Kri for 5 bucks the other day.

I played it for like a half hour and was like...ehhhh fuck it.
AMC

Himu

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 09:57:08 AM »
That game is shit too.
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 10:32:57 AM »
Mark of Kri was actually pretty decent, its just eventually the levels feel real samey.
o_0